Author Topic: mid-project crisis  (Read 4284 times)

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
Re: mid-project crisis
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 08:42:57 am »
hey craig in maine---man, your posts always hurt to read with the lack of punctuation.  :-X at least you don't write in all caps...
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline WJL75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 08:53:36 am »
One thing at a time is the best approach.  Take your time and do it right the first time (best advice I've gotten here).    This site has been a fantastic source of info and inspiration. 

Bikebuff, I too live in Milwaukee (East Side) and The Shop is a great place for a second pair of eye to look at things.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:03:31 am by WJL75 »
wjl75

1976 CB550K Cafe

rt

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 09:02:48 am »
Paulages-idontknowwhatyouretalkingaboutithinkcraigswaytowriteisquiteinnovativeinallrespectdontyouknow  ;D

Offline gregwaits

• Hot Shot
  • Damn, riding a CB750 sure is fun!
    • waits music
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2007, 11:50:16 am »
The mechanic who is trying to discourage me from getting further along on this project was trying to be helpful. I just think he sees no logic in investing so much time and money into a boke when I could easier buy a running bike (in fact, he has been trying to sell me one).

But the thing is, I have already made an investment in time and parts. In fact just today the UPS delivered a 4-1 exhaust system (used but pretty clean), some cleaner rear shocks and the Gold Wing 1100 front end. And I already bought a clean CB550 tank and some drag bars, as well as replacement throttle, brake and clutch cables.

But the Gold Wing front end is going out the door; I will be using the existing fork assembly rather than tackle a major modification.

If anyone is interested in buying it from me, it has stainless steel brake lines and is pretty clean. PM me and notofy me on here.

Next comes the carb rebuild kits. I have a connection to a local honda dealer who can get me OEM and afteremarket parts for 10% over. That alone makes this project a lot more affordable.

Thanks to all for the moral support. It is appreciated.
1978 CB750K8; 1970 CB450

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 02:11:53 pm »
The mechanic who is trying to discourage me from getting further along on this project was trying to be helpful. I just think he sees no logic in investing so much time and money into a boke when I could easier buy a running bike (in fact, he has been trying to sell me one).

But the thing is, I have already made an investment in time and parts. In fact just today the UPS delivered a 4-1 exhaust system (used but pretty clean), some cleaner rear shocks and the Gold Wing 1100 front end. And I already bought a clean CB550 tank and some drag bars, as well as replacement throttle, brake and clutch cables.

But the Gold Wing front end is going out the door; I will be using the existing fork assembly rather than tackle a major modification.

If anyone is interested in buying it from me, it has stainless steel brake lines and is pretty clean. PM me and notofy me on here.

Next comes the carb rebuild kits. I have a connection to a local honda dealer who can get me OEM and afteremarket parts for 10% over. That alone makes this project a lot more affordable.

Thanks to all for the moral support. It is appreciated.

Does the goldwing front end have an alloy rimmed, wire spoked front wheel mate? I'm looking for one? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline gregwaits

• Hot Shot
  • Damn, riding a CB750 sure is fun!
    • waits music
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2007, 03:12:37 pm »
Sorry Terry, all I have is the front fork asasembly.
1978 CB750K8; 1970 CB450

Offline HITMAN

• Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2007, 05:32:41 pm »
I will just offer two thoughts, Never think of it as "rebuilding a bike" If you are doing the brakes one weekend just think of it as "rebuilding the brakes" the trick is to think of it as a string of small projects, not one big one. You would be suprised how fast you will run out of projects.

I've had this theory for better than 25 years working on bikes, it's one of the best ways to look at it.  Whether proven or not I believe doing it yourself makes you a better rider by appreciating your machine built by YOU!!!

The carbs on these old bikes are as simple as a Model-T (or a Predator), and Tupperware is your friend (until your wife finds out ;D).  I currently have my 550 carbs and the book on the bench, if you had your computer out there and this board up you would be a master.
And the mechanic could continue to stand there with his hands in his pockets.
1974 Honda CB550F
1984 Honda GL1200A
2003 Honda CBR1100XX

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2007, 10:26:14 pm »
Sorry Terry, all I have is the front fork asasembly.

No worries mate, thanks anyway! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)