Author Topic: One from the vaults  (Read 1313 times)

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
  • Roll on spring - the rain gets warmer then...
One from the vaults
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:27:03 am »
Just thought I'd share this one from a family album - the picture was taken in Southport, Lancashire U.K. I don't know if these are relatives or just family friends, but the bike is a Norton and the date is 1907 or earlier so may well be a Peugeot engine which Norton used to buy in before they made their own. So now you know, next someone says riding a bike is dangerous, show them this pic and say 'not as much as it used to be! Amazing to think this is now about 111 years ago.
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. Most readily available from Amazon as a paperback and electronic Kindle edition.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: One from the vaults
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:30:59 am »
Very cool!  You may want to post it over here too...

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,26499.225.html
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 07:35:34 am »
Great pic. I love that old stuff.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 07:48:52 am »
 Well after 111 years things haven't changed too much. Guess kids still like to go for a ride also !  ;D

Offline RupertB

• Enthusiast
  • Roll on spring - the rain gets warmer then...
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 07:51:23 am »
Those are actually much safer, as without a wicker sidecar the risk of fire is significantly reduced....
Author of 'Prisoners Property and Prostitutes' by Tom Ratcliffe. Most readily available from Amazon as a paperback and electronic Kindle edition.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 10:32:20 pm »
That is sweet, I think I commented on it when you posted it on FB a week or so ago mate, I must see if I can find that pic of my mum (now 90) and my auntie sitting with my grandparents in my granddads old Panther outfit from around 1930. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)