Author Topic: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?  (Read 3592 times)

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?
« on: January 29, 2018, 12:24:20 pm »
As I am working with multiple repairs and waiting on parts I want to start getting an idea of what could be going on.

This I noticed after running the engine just recently before taking it all apart again. Felt and sounded great idling and revving.

Could it be related to my valve adjustment? Could it be carb related? Electrical or timing? The plugs look a little wet/dark while #'s 2 & 4 look normal. Couldn't say for sure yet but I think I did a fantastic job rebuilding these carbs for the 1st time ever if I can say so myself. But idk. Whatever it is I hope it's just an adjustment.

and I do have spark
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:31:33 pm by juntjoo »
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

I HAVE A 1982 HONDA NIGHTHAWK FFS! j/k. It's my only bike, my first and last.

Offline Yamahawk

• IGOR!Come here IGOR! ...Yesss
  • Master
  • 1971 Honda CB750 Four K1
    • Kingdom Run Biker Church and Outreach
Re: why would pipes #1 & 3 be cool?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 12:35:45 pm »
They are too cool to fire... 8) ...just kidding.
1 and 3 cylinders are not firing, and that's why your plugs are wet looking. If you can lay your hand on the pipes without sizzling your skin, there isn't any combustion in those cylinders. A safer and saner way to check is to get a remote temperature sensor gun from Harbor Freight (cheap at $30) and point it at each pipe while running the engine. Any difference in temperature is immediately apparent, and tells you what isn't happening.
Charlie
1971 CB750K1 (newest bike), 1996 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (therapy bike), 1981 Yamaha XV920RH, 2006 Kawasaki Concours (retirement bike), 1975 Yamaha RD350 (race bike), 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (race bike), 1986 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (race bike in progress), 1985 Honda Elite CH250, 1973 Yamaha GT1 80cc, 1974 Yamaha DT360 project bike.

The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Triumph, is for Good Men to do Nothing.
Edmund Burke

All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Though He slay me, Yet will I trust Him...
Job 13:15
will you trust Him...?

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 12:42:43 pm »
1 and 3 cylinders are not firing, and that's why your plugs are wet looking. If you can lay your hand on the pipes without sizzling your skin, there isn't any combustion in those cylinders. A safer and saner way to check is to get a remote temperature sensor gun from Harbor Freight (cheap at $30) and point it at each pipe while running the engine. Any difference in temperature is immediately apparent, and tells you what isn't happening.
Charlie
Although I have an infrared temp sensor, I find flash touching a lot easier and quicker for a diagnose.
Could it be related to my valve adjustment?
Not if you know how to do it.
Could it be carb related?
If I may ask, what did you make taking the carbs apart? Did you happen to mess with the float height? Are slow jets in place and open? If your main jets have O-rings, are they still OK and seal well? Do chokeflaps open unhindered?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:55:27 pm by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 12:49:38 pm »
If you have a decent spark at those plugs when they should spark you're left with the fuel part of the equation.
Crabs it is.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:22:26 pm by Duke McDukiedook »
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 12:51:16 pm »
thanks. so they're not firing but why just those two?
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

Offline Yamahawk

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 12:57:29 pm »
^^^ What he said... if you have spark, it is fuel related.
Charlie
1971 CB750K1 (newest bike), 1996 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (therapy bike), 1981 Yamaha XV920RH, 2006 Kawasaki Concours (retirement bike), 1975 Yamaha RD350 (race bike), 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (race bike), 1986 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (race bike in progress), 1985 Honda Elite CH250, 1973 Yamaha GT1 80cc, 1974 Yamaha DT360 project bike.

Edmund Burke

All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.

will you trust Him...?

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 12:59:30 pm »
and I do have spark
so they're not firing but why just those two?
Which is it? No spark on 1 and 3, I'd check if the connection plugcap - wire is still firm and I'd check if resistance of those plugcaps is not too high.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 01:02:04 pm »
Charlie
Although I have an infrared temp sensor, I find flash touching a lot easier and quicker to diagnose.
If I may ask, what did you make taking the carbs apart?

I just cleaned them and replaced a lot of rubber. So it could have been the valve adjustment. I'm no expert but I did set the gaps while at "TDC" but the manuals don't explain how to know WHICH tdc. So after examining the operation of the valves it looked to me that with two choices of TDC, I just needed to pick the one that would allow me to get under the tappet to measure, as I discovered you cannot even insert the gauge at the wrong TDC,... but idk why I was able to do #1 intake at first but not able to do #3 till I rotated the shaft 360 since 1 & 3 intake are to be done together. So after rotating, I did #3, then rotated AGAIN to prepare for #4 and #2 after which it seemed to work out, but I'm not sure about the initial rotation I did. You're only supposed to rotate one, ultimately I did twice. Sorry, confusing, but could 1 and 3 be off such that not enough fuel is making it in producing weak combustion hence warm pipes?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:18:30 pm by juntjoo »
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 01:08:55 pm »
Charlie
Although I have an infrared temp sensor, I find flash touching a lot easier and quicker for a diagnose.
If I may ask, what did you make taking the carbs apart? Did you happen to mess with the float height? Are slow jets in place and open? If your main jets have O-rings, are they still OK and seal well? Do chokeflaps open unhindered?

nom adjustable floats. all measured good and equal and passed a simple float test. Cant see all choke plates w/ carb installed but I'll check after removing again(forgot to loctite choke plates) but t before putting them back up I spent a lot of time on them amd they all appeared free and in sync. No main jet seals. Slow jets as with all holes I tested to be clear with a wire and carb cleaner(the little group of jets just under throttle plates right?).. thanks
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 01:10:47 pm »
If you have a decent spark at those plugs when they should spark your left with the fuel part of the equation.
Crabs it is.

thanks. I wouldn't know about the timing. I will in a couple days tho. So with timing are 1 & 3 related?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:19:05 pm by juntjoo »
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 01:14:57 pm »
and I do have spark
so they're not firing but why just those two?
Which is it? No spark on 1 and 3, I'd check if the connection plugcap - wire is still firm and I'd check if resistance of those plugcaps is not too high.

I was just repeating yamahawk. I was thinking "firing" meant combusting. They're firing, but obviously not combusting, but plugs are wet so fuel is getting there. So... timing?
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 01:29:18 pm »
If you have a decent spark at those plugs when they should spark your left with the fuel part of the equation.
Crabs it is.

thanks. I wouldn't know about the timing. I will in a couple days tho. So with timing are 1 & 3 related?

If you have a timing light with an inductor coil you would if you hooked it up to each wire to check to see if that wire is firing on the specific fire mark.
That's what I assumed you were talking about since you said spark was not a problem- or you laid a spark plug against the head for the different spark caps to check for a decent blue spark.

Crab#1 and #3 could be clogged in some of the air or fuel passages. You need to clean ALL of them with pressurized air and crab cleaner and wires. All orifices must flow.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline Yamahawk

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 01:55:53 pm »
I have heard of boiling the crab bodies in Simple Green, or you could use the conventional crab boil and throw in some legs and claws... ;)
Charlie

Edmund Burke

will you trust Him...?

Offline Nathan B

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 02:10:03 pm »
I have heard of boiling the crab bodies in Simple Green, or you could use the conventional crab boil and throw in some legs and claws... ;)
Charlie
Haha I see what you did there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 02:10:05 pm »
Double check your ignition coil wires.
One coil's output lead should go to cylinders 1&4.  The Other coils output leads should go to cylinders 2&3.

Your reported symptoms would be consistent with attaching one coil to 1&2 and the other to 3&4.  Which would make two cylinders dead.

There are certainly many other possible issues to check after the above verification.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Gene

• Chat enuf you too can be a
  • Master
  • One bike is enuf, change my mind
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 02:45:23 pm »
^^^^^ Check the simple stuff first.
*1973 CB750K3 (Bow)

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 03:54:06 pm »
 After reading your valve cover and valve adjustment threads, I would NOT run the engine anymore until I checked, double checked and triple checked the valve adjustment.
 I don't mean to sound like a butt, but prove me wrong. Check your valve adjustment again, please.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 04:29:23 pm »
After reading your valve cover and valve adjustment threads, I would NOT run the engine anymore until I checked, double checked and triple checked the valve adjustment.
 I don't mean to sound like a butt, but prove me wrong. Check your valve adjustment again, please.

I will, thanks
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 10:27:36 pm »

watch /listen to this:

to hear what it sounds like. this is before I recently took off the valve cover again to deal with oil leaks. I originally thought it sounded good but on second listen and discovering the cool pipes it sounds to me like I messed up the valves didn't I? I've already resigned to the probability I've toasted the head. What's it a few bolts and a few hundred dollars and another week? It's a good education I say.

Really? I did the adjustments at TDC... I'll have to take a closer look after I wake up.

edit: can't sleep so here are some pics if they provide any useful info. Seems like #1 screw doesn't come through as much as the rest.

#1 and #2 intake adjusting screws https://imgur.com/a/rgmyz

#3 and #4 intake adjusting screws https://imgur.com/a/CBKEK

thanks a lot
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:07:12 pm by juntjoo »
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 02:49:07 am »
 Did you have the cam chain tensioner out? How far apart was the engine?

The valves are easy to adjust on the 650, compared to the 500/550. I would double/triple check the valve adjustment. The valves sound a little noisy in the vid, and I think I hear some cam chain noise. It's easy to NOT seat the tensioner properly (ask me how I know).

It also sounds like you could use a carb sync, but don't bother with that until the valves and ignition stuff is sorted.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 05:02:46 am »
+1 On Scott, how far apart was the motor? What was the purpose of taking it apart? Oil leaks? Metal in the oil?

Here's Dino explaining how to do a valve adjustment on his 750. This may help but it's been a while since I've watched this one but I think he explains things really well.

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 08:59:17 am »
Did you have the cam chain tensioner out? How far apart was the engine?

The valves are easy to adjust on the 650, compared to the 500/550. I would double/triple check the valve adjustment. The valves sound a little noisy in the vid, and I think I hear some cam chain noise. It's easy to NOT seat the tensioner properly (ask me how I know).

It also sounds like you could use a carb sync, but don't bother with that until the valves and ignition stuff is sorted.

no I didn't do anything with the cam tensioner, whatever that is, nor did I do anything with the engine but remove the head cover
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 10:29:24 am »
Double check your ignition coil wires.
One coil's output lead should go to cylinders 1&4.  The Other coils output leads should go to cylinders 2&3.

Your reported symptoms would be consistent with attaching one coil to 1&2 and the other to 3&4.  Which would make two cylinders dead.

There are certainly many other possible issues to check after the above verification.

Cheers,

thanks. they are all correctly connected.
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

Offline juntjoo

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 12:38:58 pm »
+1 On Scott, how far apart was the motor? What was the purpose of taking it apart? Oil leaks? Metal in the oil?

Here's Dino explaining how to do a valve adjustment on his 750. This may help but it's been a while since I've watched this one but I think he explains things really well.

thanks. I had put a spark plug socket a tad too fat in #1 and it got stuck. Geez Honda, you could have left .5mm extra so we could get a standard socket at the store
-Ben

82 Nighthawk 650..

1982 Honda Nighthawk...

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 01:27:20 pm »
I hear you. I picked up the Honda plug wrench because I saw it on eBay for fairly cheap. A pain in the ass if you don't have a thin walled socket.