Author Topic: CB750 Wet Sump Conversion - Sumpthing  (Read 66165 times)

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
  • If I is expert, I can has cheezburger?
Re: CB750 Wet Sump Conversion - Sumpthing
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 03:20:24 pm »
Yea NickRafAcosta may have put him to task posting it in racing.

Offline underdog

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 03:32:32 pm »
  I kind of like it myself. CB750A's are wet sump with no tank and get along fine. Also, it must use up some HP pumping oil up into the tank, albeit probably miniscule. I also like to see the regular guys making quality parts and trying new things. Even if you don't care for it, you have to respect the work that went into it. ;)

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 05:09:52 pm »
As someone who does a bit of complicated metalwork myself, I’m thinking the price is very reasonable for what is offered(assuming it performs as intended of course)

I couldn’t care less what kind of pets and plants he has😁, but feel free to share.  I would like to see the results of his work tested by someone well known and respected around here to offer a fair non biased opinion.  I think that would benefit everyone.

George

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 05:20:58 pm »
Another member or two, has a thread elsewhere and have purchased it. They are awaiting its arrival.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 11:05:09 pm »
we've also blown several engines to heaven during the early stages.
How did your conversion blow the engines to heaven? Did you not understand the oiling system in the early stages?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 01:43:00 am »
we've also blown several engines to heaven during the early stages.
How did your conversion blow the engines to heaven? Did you not understand the oiling system in the early stages?
I think you are a bit severe here scottly.  Someone can understand pretty well an oiling system but once you introduce to it a major change like this, it will not necessarily behave like you have in mind. Oiling system dev is one area that even factories use trial and error to develop.  happened to me with my supermono racer oil system design, took a few tries to get it to function right.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 04:55:24 am »
Sorry on my part for being a doubter Bert but with the Internet being what it is today, we have to make sure by vetting and that shoe thing that cropped up twice had me in real doubt but it's sorted now and thanks for the return of my email and please check out my reply.
In respect of the product and the price, I don't see a problem there.
For the minimalist cafe racer guys and people that want to get rid of the clutter, Ideal.
For the Drag Racer struggling to find a place to put Nitrous bottles, air shiffter tanks and the like, Ideal.
For the Roundy Roundy Road Race guys that want to lower the center of gravity, Ideal.
For the people with to much money and don't need it, just send the $500 to me, that will be Ideal as well.

Carry on.

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 05:01:00 am »
For the people with to much money and don't need it, just send the $500 to me, that will be Ideal as well.
Whats your addy again, Sam?  ;D ;D ;D

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 05:03:32 am »
just sell each donor a run on your auto sam, i think you could have a nice business going on there :)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 05:25:16 am »
Stop it you two, you just made me pee myself laughing.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 05:35:28 am »
Stop it you two, you just made me pee myself laughing.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Getting old ain't for pu$$ies, eh, Sam?  8)

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 06:01:28 am »
Hey folks,

I would like to try one in my CR. Expecting no temp issue's due to use of large oilcooler. Also feel it can have a positive effect on weight and weight distribution, cause weight is centered more front/down. Only setback is, due to deep sump cant use my 4 into 1 exhaust......

Cheers Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 06:18:33 am »
I thought you might like it Rob and while your on, what happened to the dry clutch you were developing ?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 06:25:20 am »
I thought you might like it Rob and while your on, what happened to the dry clutch you were developing ?

Sam. ;)

Sam,
Yes I like the idea for the mentioned reasons. The dry clutch was a dual effort and since the relationship has ended, the development has come to a stop. Secondly my health issues stopped me from doing virtually anything, but things are still improving so I should be able to make some renewed efforts in that direction.

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 07:14:54 am »
Sorry Rob, I forgot about your health issues, I can't remember sod all since my accident.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 08:55:50 am »
Rob,

I hope your feelings better soon.  And I’m very glad you are interested in trying one on your road racer.  Perfect center of gravity situation, but yes, it will require not using the 4 into 1 system, so a 4 into 4 type exhaust would be the way to go for your road racer.  I have matching 4 into 1 exhausts myself(including spare) and custom made fiberglass belly pans that are form fit to them.  Plus all my oil tanks and mounts, custom oil lines, oil cooler setups, etc are done and ready.  Too far down that path to change out everything related for me.

But for drag racers like Billy and Frankie, etc. putting the oil weight low and fwd is a big positive as well.  If starting a new bike from scratch, totally worth considering.

Anyway, Rob’s seal of approval would do wonders for consumer (and supplier) confidence in this product.

George

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 09:19:37 am »
4 into 4 and some sump showing.... shades of MV Augusta.. oooh yeah..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
  • If I is expert, I can has cheezburger?
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 09:45:27 am »
Anyway, Rob’s seal of approval would do wonders for consumer (and supplier) confidence in this product.

That's a good point!

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 10:23:43 am »
Rob,

I hope your feelings better soon.  And I’m very glad you are interested in trying one on your road racer.  Perfect center of gravity situation, but yes, it will require not using the 4 into 1 system, so a 4 into 4 type exhaust would be the way to go for your road racer.  I have matching 4 into 1 exhausts myself(including spare) and custom made fiberglass belly pans that are form fit to them.  Plus all my oil tanks and mounts, custom oil lines, oil cooler setups, etc are done and ready.  Too far down that path to change out everything related for me.

But for drag racers like Billy and Frankie, etc. putting the oil weight low and fwd is a big positive as well.  If starting a new bike from scratch, totally worth considering.

George

George, remember that the 4-4 would be a weight penalty, not to mention a big cost. Additionally, now that you are wet sump, you will need a much larger belly pan. AHRMA rules dictate a 1qt capacity pan for dry sump or full engine capacity plus nominal reserve for wet sump. It will take a lot of redesigning to get it all right.
All you gotta do is do what you gotta do.

Vintage Speed Parts Mashup: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133638.0
Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA CB750 Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158461.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 10:28:51 am »
Well, I don’t have to worry about it as I’m too far down my current path to change everything now.  But I am very curious as to how it works out in a demanding road race application.  If if can handle that, it should be able to handle most anything.  Go Rob.👍

George

Offline Captain

• Enthusiast
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 10:39:38 am »
 Anyone discussing this subject should reacquaint or educate themselves with the very reason Dry Sump is used in the first instance
  # 1 most effective means of removing air from the body of oil
 # 2  more effective and efficient cooling

There are more but the above are two of the most important in HD environments (racing)

Captain
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:45:25 am by Captain »

Offline Bert Jan

• sumpthing.
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 10:46:13 am »
Hey folks,

I would like to try one in my CR. Expecting no temp issue's due to use of large oilcooler. Also feel it can have a positive effect on weight and weight distribution, cause weight is centered more front/down. Only setback is, due to deep sump cant use my 4 into 1 exhaust......

Cheers Rob

Hey Rob,

I see you're my neighbour (in terms of how far the internet reaches) so we could make this happen very quickly. I'd like to hear some thoughts from you, and even better, would love if you could take the kit for a spin. The exhaust clearance is an issue but only to bikes that are done yet. My main focus was on builders still tinkering with the tank, but now i see there could be a demand in other sectors aswell, which is cool!

(Ik volg je al een tijdje omdat ik die droge koppeling een heel toffe vinding vond. Kan er nu niks meer over vinden helaas maar las wel hierboven dat dat een beetje is gestopt. Heb je een email adres zodat we wat sneller kunnen communiceren? Ik zit in Groningen maar moet voor klanten dikwijls naar de randstad. Binnenkort even afspreken? Neem ik een kit mee en kan je er even naar kijken.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:49:01 am by Bert Jan »

Offline slikwilli420

• Master of Disaster
  • Master
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 10:49:34 am »
Anyone discussing this subject should reacquaint or educate themselves with the very reason it is used in the first instance
  # 1 the most effective means of removing air from the body of oil
 There are more but the above are the most important

Captain

Could you say that again in a bit more simpe language? I'm not sure i understand it fully.

Dry sump provides better air/oil separation and the separate tank helps keep oil cooler than having it stored in the engine.
All you gotta do is do what you gotta do.

Vintage Speed Parts Mashup: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133638.0
Rickman CR Parts Kit Refresh: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,154837.0.html
AHRMA CB750 Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,158461.0.html
AHRMA Superbike Heavyweight Racer: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173120.0.html
'76F CB750 Patina Redemption: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,174871.0.html

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 11:04:20 am »
Hey folks,

Cheers Rob

Hey Rob,

I see you're my neighbour (in terms of how far the internet reaches) so we could make this happen very quickly. I'd like to hear some thoughts from you, and even better, would love if you could take the kit for a spin. The exhaust clearance is an issue but only to bikes that are done yet. My main focus was on builders still tinkering with the tank, but now i see there could be a demand in other sectors aswell, which is cool!

(Ik volg je al een tijdje omdat ik die droge koppeling een heel toffe vinding vond. Kan er nu niks meer over vinden helaas maar las wel hierboven dat dat een beetje is gestopt. Heb je een email adres zodat we wat sneller kunnen communiceren? Ik zit in Groningen maar moet voor klanten dikwijls naar de randstad. Binnenkort even afspreken? Neem ik een kit mee en kan je er even naar kijken.)

Bert, I brought Rob in on this because he is a top guy in the world of CB750 racing and is right on your door step, about 165km I think it said.

Sam.  ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Bert Jan

• sumpthing.
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 11:04:59 am »
Anyone discussing this subject should reacquaint or educate themselves with the very reason it is used in the first instance
  # 1 the most effective means of removing air from the body of oil
 There are more but the above are the most important

Captain

Could you say that again in a bit more simpe language? I'm not sure i understand it fully.

Dry sump provides better air/oil separation and the separate tank helps keep oil cooler than having it stored in the engine.

Read it a couple times more, got it and deleted my previous message asking for the explaination. I get it now, thanks.

I'm afraid we will never know for sure why the engineers made the 750 dry and his little brothers all wet. Could be a performance thingy but to be honest, the hondamatic and the 350/400/500/550 and 650 are still around so i think we'll be fine. In the tests, we've had oil being cooler than stock system.

As said before, the reason i started with designing the kit is for it to be used for cosmetic reasons. In the last months i came to the conclusion road racers and other performance people might want to use it aswell. That's why i added the tabs on the inside (thanks to George) so those in need could fit a custom anti-slosh unit. Otherwise you can just leave those tabs.

Today, we went to the box-factory because i wanted to ship the kit in a special made shippingbox for safety reasons. Here's a picture:
This box is damaged because we took it in and out 20 times. They boxes are ready this Thursday and the first kits will get shipped Friday.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:10:41 am by Bert Jan »