Author Topic: CB750 Wet Sump Conversion - Sumpthing  (Read 65946 times)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: CB750 Wet Sump Conversion - Sumpthing
« Reply #300 on: June 17, 2018, 08:49:36 am »
compliments rob, specially for putting your money where your mouth is!
cant recall if you have a pressure gauge... no drops in strong acceleration/braking?
what's the "gas cap" in the tail for?

Due to time pressure not been able to fully concentrate on when or if it drops, but it is looking good. Gas cap on tail is is oil fill cap.

Can't see it dropping under acceleration, as the oil is being held against the pick-up; possibly under braking, but then the entire sump contents would have to migrate up into the engine, not good, but easily solved with a windage tray.  A simple oil warning light would answer the question.
A lot of Yamaha's use the oil level warning light. On a slight incline highway onramp I can get the light to stay on through 3rd gear under hard acceleration. Used to scare the cr@p out of me so I installed a pressure gauge. ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Bert Jan

• sumpthing.
« Reply #301 on: June 19, 2018, 02:59:29 pm »
we didn't have any problems regarding oil pressure in our tests. The stock pump delivers MORE than enough pressure under normal circumstances.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #302 on: June 19, 2018, 06:06:41 pm »
we didn't have any problems regarding oil pressure in our tests. The stock pump delivers MORE than enough pressure under normal circumstances.

After Rob's little 'road test' Bert Jan I have no doubt that it is bullet proof on the street, and it would appear likely in a racing application.  The light smoke in the photos I saw, was only banked over in a corner.  Could easily be oil being sucked down the exhaust valve guides on the over-run on corner entrance.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #303 on: June 19, 2018, 07:24:23 pm »

[/quote] A lot of Yamaha's use the oil level warning light. On a slight incline highway onramp I can get the light to stay on through 3rd gear under hard acceleration. Used to scare the cr@p out of me so I installed a pressure gauge. ;D
[/quote]

a certain yamaha which shall be called a bloody vmax from here on is well known for its propensity for accelerating at previously unknown rates ( at the time anyway ) which leads the oil to shift suddenly towards the back of the engine...yamaha in their wisdom ( or bent sense of humour ) saw fit to install the oil level sensor at the front of the motor......this causes the oil light to come on just when you'd rather it didn't

the oil pickup is at the back so theres no real problem but it sure does scare the crap out of you the first couple of times, after that you just learn to ignore it
i blame Terry

Offline Bert Jan

• sumpthing.
« Reply #304 on: June 21, 2018, 03:07:50 pm »

After Rob's little 'road test' Bert Jan I have no doubt that it is bullet proof on the street, and it would appear likely in a racing application.  The light smoke in the photos I saw, was only banked over in a corner.  Could easily be oil being sucked down the exhaust valve guides on the over-run on corner entrance.

Thanks for your trust! We've sold a bunch now with no complaints, only praise so i'm really happy it's being picked up so well all around the world. I'm expecting the next batch this next week so I've got the kits in stock then wich will make shipping waaaay faster than the 6 to 8 weeks said on the website ;)

Offline Bert Jan

• sumpthing.
« Reply #305 on: July 27, 2018, 12:23:17 am »
Hi guys, just a little update this time. All open orders were shipped last week, we have the kits in stock and they are ready to ship.
I guess this thread is going to get less traffic as the kit has proven itself and most questions have been answered here.

If you stumbled on here thru a search engine and/or for future reference, please email any questions to contact@sumpthing.net or outsidersmotorcycles@gmail.com.

It's been a hell of a ride so far so thank you all, in special all the members who bought the kit!

Cheers!

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2018, 12:57:46 am »
Duck off oil tank.  I could never see the dart board before

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #307 on: August 05, 2018, 05:26:37 am »
hahahahahaha.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
« Reply #308 on: August 25, 2018, 10:16:16 pm »
I finally got around to finishing the Sump Thing conversion and would like to know what exhaust people are using.

Offline Bert Jan

• sumpthing.
« Reply #309 on: August 26, 2018, 01:06:56 am »
On our demo bike we have a 4 into 1 with k7 stamped into it. Not sure if it's OEM or aftermarket.

Offline spiffy587

« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2018, 03:34:53 pm »
Will an Automatic oil pan fit a K or F engine?

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #311 on: September 19, 2018, 03:41:01 pm »
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #312 on: October 11, 2019, 01:59:32 pm »
Well guys, a year on and the Sumpthing seems to be working well.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #313 on: February 12, 2020, 06:18:57 pm »
 Any other reports on this cool product ? ARE THEY STILL BEING MADE .?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #314 on: February 14, 2020, 02:43:58 pm »

Frank, you can ask Rob who has been testing it under race conditions, he goes by the name voxonda on here.
If you get no answer here, I'll contact him through Facebook for you.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #315 on: February 14, 2020, 05:57:48 pm »

Yes. I just installed one on an uber-custom (every inch polished) CB750K4 engine. It requires you put oil in thru the tappet cover hole(s), so you have to dribble it in (or the shiny engine gets ugly...). Then you have to count the oil, too, as the sight gage (oil window) on the right side goes from full-to-empty when the oil filter gets pumped full, so you have to dribble in some more oil, watch the sight glass, dribble a little more....until it looks full again. It holds less oil overall than the oil tank setup. You must also remove the whole thing to R&R the engine into the frame, so make a protector plate to cover the oil pan's gasket surface enroute, or it might turn into a real bad day after you dent the oil pan surface on the frame.

And, while it has more surface area than the OEM oil pan, the oil does run hotter than with a tank, so use at least 20w50. You could fit one of those oil coolers that use the adapter plate behind the filter, put the cooler up under the triple tree...
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #316 on: February 15, 2020, 03:51:12 am »
Thanks Mark.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #317 on: February 15, 2020, 07:58:36 am »

Yes. I just installed one on an uber-custom (every inch polished) CB750K4 engine. It requires you put oil in thru the tappet cover hole(s), so you have to dribble it in (or the shiny engine gets ugly...). Then you have to count the oil, too, as the sight gage (oil window) on the right side goes from full-to-empty when the oil filter gets pumped full, so you have to dribble in some more oil, watch the sight glass, dribble a little more....until it looks full again. It holds less oil overall than the oil tank setup. You must also remove the whole thing to R&R the engine into the frame, so make a protector plate to cover the oil pan's gasket surface enroute, or it might turn into a real bad day after you dent the oil pan surface on the frame.

And, while it has more surface area than the OEM oil pan, the oil does run hotter than with a tank, so use at least 20w50. You could fit one of those oil coolers that use the adapter plate behind the filter, put the cooler up under the triple tree...

ah but mark you are missing the point , it does not matter how crap an idea it is ....... people think it looks good

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #318 on: February 15, 2020, 12:37:33 pm »
Mark thanks for the report.  You can pre measure the oil then add.
Custom bike parts , it usually all about looks. Not all must participate..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #319 on: February 16, 2020, 04:36:05 pm »

ah but mark you are missing the point , it does not matter how crap an idea it is ....... people think it looks good

Hi Simon, hope you are well my friend but why say it is a crap idea. I think the sight glass is a great idea especially for the novice to these bikes.

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2020, 07:52:09 pm »
Sam, I believe what Simon is saying in his usual eloquent way is that converting from a dry sump to a wet sump is a down-grade, not an upgrade, and it's only value is cosmetic. I happen to agree.. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #321 on: February 16, 2020, 09:38:36 pm »
Apparently Bimota did not like the Honda system either.,
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #322 on: February 17, 2020, 10:08:08 am »
hi sam im fine . sorry i haven't been over to see you have been mad busy but will put that right soon !

scottty understands what i meant and did explain it much better , honda made a very good job of the 750 oiling system . the hipster ring or whatever it is called is worse in all respects than the standard oil system , i have no idea why this thread  is in the performance section .

frank , bimota  did like the honda system they just moved the oil tank .

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #323 on: February 18, 2020, 08:57:26 pm »
I wonder if any of the wet sump sohcs had the same longevity of the dry sump 750's, which can exceed 100,000 miles without rebuilding? ???
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #324 on: February 19, 2020, 05:57:12 pm »
Back in the [early] 1970s there were 3 wet-sump conversions for this engine. Only one of them held as much oil as the dry-sump OEM arrangements (3.5 or more quarts). I can't remember which one that was, but it was famous for weeping oil around the pan gasket, and you had to use 4-2 pipes to clear it. The other 2 held less than 3 quarts total, so I used to sell oil coolers (Lockhart, mostly) to those guys when I could, to add a little oil and try to cool it down some.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com