Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 174423 times)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1100 on: September 11, 2020, 02:38:18 pm »
you make it look easy strynboen!

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #1101 on: September 11, 2020, 06:23:25 pm »
 Changing out the 4 spd automatic transmission out of my single cab 91 f350 duallie diesel with another 4 spd auto I removed from a 91 crew cab diesel I used to drive before I was asked to loose some of those trucks in my driveway so she could park her car easier. Transmission came out okay but every rusted bolt on the frame wanted to give me a hard time and I used a half inch drive electric impact gun, got most of them with that but had to cut the rest of them out.. The replacement was going smoothly until dinner time when  I had issue snugging up that trans to the engine. Breaking it all loose tomorrow and resetting it.
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1102 on: September 11, 2020, 06:28:02 pm »
 I welded the subframe connectors to the front subframe. Now that it's welded I thought of things I should have checked first. Next up, weld the connectors to the rear frame and take the entire frame assembly out to weld the top sides, add gussets and double check everything. Then when it goes back in it may be welded into the floor and it's a giant unibody again. I have considered making it a removable frame but not really sure why.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1103 on: September 12, 2020, 12:47:36 am »
mate bought a boat with a #$%*ty trailer,needs a whole new frame etc,got a bit of new steel tacked up today,my mate tries to rush things he said itll take an afternoon,i said itll take two days at my speed!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1104 on: September 12, 2020, 01:36:56 am »
Good work Dave, when I lived in Brissie a mate of mine bought a rusted out old Toyota Landcruiser for cheap, stripped it down to the bare chassis, had it galvanised, then built a whole new truck on top of it, rebuilt the engine, gearbox, transfer case, diffs, fitted a new fibreglass body, Old Man Emu suspension, stainless exhaust, new wheels, tyres etc. I must catch up with him and see if he still has it, it's probably still like new. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1105 on: September 12, 2020, 03:10:26 pm »
Hopefully new leaf springs as well Dave...that one looks a bit rough!

Today I buttoned up the essentials on the firebird and took for a test drive.....ran fantastic until I realized the brakes were all dragging like crazy...see pissed off thread for that one.  For now I'm going to drink a whiskey and figure what to diagnose tomorrow.  Super bummed....was really hoping to slog it around.

Funny enough though...even when I was on the side of the road waiting for the brakes to cool down to limp the half mile home a guy stopped and chatted me up about old firebirds for 20 mins and offered to help.  I feel like this old car will be an attention getter

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 03:12:16 pm by CBJoe »
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1106 on: September 20, 2020, 09:41:33 pm »
See pissed off thread for continued drivetrain noise issues...but at a minimum...I made progress on the firebird.

Car idles great at around 750rpm.....no fluid leaks and oil change went well with no concerns about super old fluid that came out.  Electric choke is working well.

I fixed the squeak associated with the parking brake cable connector contacting the X-Pipe...redneck style ;)  Hopefully lasts for a while

Once I correct the Rear End issues it will hopefully be daily driver material ;D

Here’s a happy pic of the shake down drive

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 09:46:35 pm by CBJoe »
'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Online 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #1107 on: September 21, 2020, 02:12:51 am »
Grand Cherokee's skid plate, that holds the fuel tank rusted away.  So I put there ratchet strap to hold the tank till I get a new skid plate.  ;D

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #1108 on: September 21, 2020, 04:21:41 am »
Well, didn't do anything to it, just got it for the wifey.

Looks like I won't be able to retire this Feb.

2020 Chrysler Pacifica
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1109 on: September 21, 2020, 04:58:06 am »
Well, didn't do anything to it, just got it for the wifey.

Looks like I won't be able to retire this Feb.

2020 Chrysler Pacifica

Mmnnnnn, that new car smell, can't beat it. I just paid out the residual on the Ford Territory I leased from 2015, still can't believe I actually own it, I've never owned a new car before, not that I've driven it in 6 months. Hmmnn, I better fire it up tomorrow, just to put a charge into the battery. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1110 on: September 21, 2020, 05:25:44 pm »
well after seeing cbjoes nice clean engine and the fact im home for a week i thought id degrease mine,i do it every 3 or 4 years,those suckomatics Terry are also good for getting the pooling water out of the valleys and pockets you get on v8 engines intake manifolds.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1111 on: September 21, 2020, 07:31:44 pm »
Looks good Dave...Not sure if anyone told you, but the master cylinder seems mounted on the wrong side

What’s the heave metal plate mounted on the inner fender well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1112 on: September 21, 2020, 10:09:34 pm »
thats a big alloy plate heat sink ive screwed the ignition module onto,wired it remote from the dissy,dissys get too hot IMO.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:46:43 pm by dave500 »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1113 on: September 23, 2020, 10:47:14 am »
 I began to drop the frame out of the Firebird to finish the welding and I can see it flex so I'm going to put multiple stands under the frame/body assembly and then gradually lift the body off until I have enough room to complete the bracing and welding. My thoughts are, a lot of cribbing and jacking then some safety blocking before I get between things.
 I bought a bottle of C25 so my mig welds will have a little more penetration than with the CO2 I've been using. When I get in a good position I may do some tig welding too. Overhead and vertical tig in tight places are a little more than my talent lever permit.
 I spent some time laying out the exhaust, the ram air IV long branch manifolds got here, they look awesome. They may be ported to slightly bigger than the exhaust port size to help with reversion. I can't wait to bolt them on but adding more weight to the chassis isn't a good idea until welding is complete. I found a stainless steel 2 1/2" exhaust kit with the gear vendors under it I may need to box out more of the rear floor footwell next to the frame connectors.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aeBvafwJoCaxXf4RA
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:55:52 am by Don R »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1114 on: September 25, 2020, 03:14:39 pm »
Took the "Old Chevy" for a drive through the Hill Country last weekend.  Also got to drive my buddies new C8, wow, what a thrill.  The cars were manufactured 50 years apart!

"Friends let friends drive their new Corvette"!!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1115 on: September 25, 2020, 03:45:18 pm »
is it my turn yet?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1116 on: September 25, 2020, 03:59:19 pm »
is it my turn yet?

Yes, c'mon over Dave!  We'll drive Corvettes and then get pissed on American beer!!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1117 on: September 25, 2020, 04:11:09 pm »
now ya talking!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1118 on: September 25, 2020, 07:38:53 pm »
wifes little hyundai had a coolant leak,i found it at this spigot,just pulled the hose off cleaned and used some non hardening compound for now,seems to be holding,i replaced all these hoses 9 years ago so might be due again with summer coming?

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #1119 on: September 26, 2020, 02:14:40 am »
see the pissedoff thread for my car related activities today
i blame Terry

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1120 on: September 27, 2020, 08:35:24 pm »
 We finally got the dragster back to the track and running. After fixing the trans last month we started it and checked the trans, all was good. My Daughter drove it around and warmed it up, we put it up on the stand to check the throttle stop rpm and voila! Only neutral. Not to panic I took off the side panel to check the linkage and the cable housing had separated near the end. The wire part was sticking out in the shape of an ohm sign. I tucked it back in, crimped the housing with vise grips, put a small hose clamp on it and safety wired it just in case. 
 We raced for the first time in exactly two seasons, two slow time runs and lost first round. Driver said it didn't sound right and I found a loose rocker arm with a missing adjuster nut. (just like 750's do) The nut promptly fished back out with a magnet on a stick, I re-adjusted it and it ran fine but the end of the pushrod was shined up so we put it away for the day. I despise rocker arms and their misc. hardware.  I would race a 4 cam big block chevy with no rockers except then I would hate timing chains.

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #1121 on: September 28, 2020, 04:22:52 am »
well, today brougfht some news on the non functioning clown car, what i had somewhat hopefully diagnosed as a dead fuel pump turned out to be a skipped a couple of teeth timing chain and destroyed cylinder head where the valves interfaced with the pistons

don't know if the pistons are damaged too, got quoted about $5K for either new timing kit and repair the head or same price for change over motor ( don't know if thats rebuilt but i doubt it )

i had the timing chain done at about 80K kms and its just clocked 180K km so i guess it may have been due but i could well do without it at this particular piint in time

oh yes and the brakes are still shagged
i blame Terry

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #1122 on: September 28, 2020, 08:15:33 pm »
should probably take Terry up on his Exploder offer. Someone would probably do the trans for half the price of your quote. Then get what you can for the clown car.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1123 on: September 29, 2020, 05:06:34 pm »
Working on the MR2 Turbo racer. A few weeks ago, we won the seven hour Saturday Enduro at Mosport. Sunday morning, running perfectly, 5th gear exploded, coming off the back straight! End cover lost a good size chunk, gear hub and a few teeth still attached, another chunk in the housing, and the third piece is somewhere in corner eight..... Latest RAV4 uses the same gear, so patched the case and installed a new gear. Replaced a broken throttle pedal, fresh pads, and a good cleaning. Alignment rack is next. We’re off to Calabogie for a double header, this weekend. Still leading the Championship, so hoping it all hangs together for two more days. This will be the 13th and 14th full day on this motor.

My buddy Brian can’t make it out from Calgary, so lots of seat time for three of us. Fingers crossed. More news, next week.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 05:22:29 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #1124 on: September 29, 2020, 06:11:06 pm »
 Holy cow! Auto racing on the weekends. That sounds exciting!
  I was just about to write about how I didn't get my transmission done yet on my diesel f 350, got tired of climbing in and out from under the truck and called a tow truck to take to to a local garage , The same garage that put a nice set of welded dual exhaust on my big block  F-350 work truck that got me all excited this afternoon when I picked it up , sounds so nice. I haven't had a winning year so far so it doesn't take much to get me excited. I thought I would share my excitement with others.
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907