Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 173700 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1400 on: September 05, 2021, 01:08:22 am »
I think modern wheels are pretty good anyway Dave, and of course like you said, they have all sorts of electronics fitted, not to mention air bags, you know, those things that break your nose just before you die in a head on? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1401 on: September 09, 2021, 08:10:24 pm »
New discs and pads to the front of the “New to Me” Volvo C30. Off to get a Safety Certificate tomorrow and then registration, plates and insurance. Had a really good look and can’t find anything really wrong with it.....

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1402 on: September 09, 2021, 08:24:04 pm »
Looks great Jon. Over here late model European cars are really cheap, they have a bad reputation for electrical faults that are really expensive to fix, so if you can find a good one that doesn't fail, you can find a bargain. I did a search for Volvo C30 on Ebay Oz, there were no cars for sale, just people wrecking them for parts, which is a shame, some of them look really good.

I'm a Subaru fan, particularly Subaru turbo cars. I've always thought that they are close to European cars in build quality and performance, but sadly, unreliability too..... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1403 on: September 10, 2021, 01:56:26 am »
yeah the subi split block with a million seals is its achilles heel?

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1404 on: September 10, 2021, 06:38:46 am »
I only paid $3K (Canadian) and the guy just did all the belts, Cam and Crank seals and a bunch of other work..... Rear calipers, pads and discs 2,000 KM ago! Seems tight and super clean. Might be fun. Has some serious grunt with the Turbo and manual 6-speed.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1405 on: September 10, 2021, 06:56:13 am »
I would say you got a steal at $3k... Enjoy it on good health.
Is it a T5 model or other version?
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1406 on: September 10, 2021, 08:32:27 pm »
I would say you got a steal at $3k... Enjoy it on good health.
Is it a T5 model or other version?

T5 with a 6 speed manual box. Got the Safety done today. A few bulbs, and we’re through. I did discover a bulge on the inner sidewalk of the RF tire. Will need a pair. A nice long drive highlighted a broken exhaust hanger and the need for a front end alignment (after tires). But, car is solid and runs well. Suspension is taunt. Will mount the license plates properly tomorrow and posts a few pictures.

Planning an oil and filter change and was surprised to see the 5 cyl. Turbo has a large canister filter!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1407 on: September 11, 2021, 01:10:27 am »
yeah the subi split block with a million seals is its achilles heel?

Ha ha, Subaru/s have a few Achilles heels Dave, the cooling system is a joke, the turbo's sh1t themselves regularly, the timing belts and tensioners need to be changed regularly, the cam position sensors fail, cam seals go all the time, electrics are dodgy, but on a good day (around once per year) they're a joy to drive! ;D 

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1408 on: September 11, 2021, 01:14:59 am »
yeah,cast iron push rod engines suddenly somehow seem almost better?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1409 on: September 11, 2021, 01:45:49 am »
The trouble with 1970's era cars is that the bodies rot into the ground before the engines break, I see lots of HQ's, XA/B/C Falcons etc going for stupid money and they have more holes in them than Bonnie and Clyde. My son's got my Subaru turbo now Dave, and my old 1995 Liberty (non turbo) that I rescued from my 93 year old Ma is still running like a champ, really makes me wonder why I bought a $58K Ford Territory that I really don't like driving in the city? Oh that's right, it was a tax dodge...... ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1410 on: September 13, 2021, 07:30:09 am »
The trouble with 1970's era cars is that the bodies rot into the ground before the engines break...

No rot on my old Chevy, Terry.  But original engine is long gone!  Unless you live on the coast or store it outside, Texas cars dont rust like ones up in the "rust belt".

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1411 on: September 14, 2021, 03:11:47 am »
That's a beautiful car Steve. I was talking to Dave about Aussie built cars of the era, but a lot of imported US cars suffered the same fate, most have just rusted away sadly. I used to do cheap resprays and rust repairs for folks, and some of the cars had more rust in them below the door line than they had metal. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1412 on: September 14, 2021, 05:17:42 am »
Nice ride Steve! Finished up the Volvo. Brakes, fluids changed, poked into every corner. Spent a few hours removing the crud from the wheels.

Needs two front tires and alignment, but taking it for a longer run today. Always liked this design, never owned a Volvo.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 05:19:29 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1413 on: September 14, 2021, 10:50:30 am »
+150 miles. Runs great. The previous owner drove around in 5-6 gear most of the time. Took a few hard pulls  to clear the plugs! May treat it to a new set.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1414 on: September 14, 2021, 03:06:58 pm »
 We bought a used 64 VW in 73-74 or so. It was used by an elderly lady and when we got it 50 mph was about top end. That sucked in a 70 zone, 40 miles a day and in a week or so it would go 65 eventually it topped out around 80. We later put an 87mm big bore kit on a 1500 engine in it and went to 12 Volts. Still single port though.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1415 on: September 14, 2021, 03:12:30 pm »
May wish to run a couple cans of a good FI cleaner before the next oil change to clean up the injectors and some of the valve train exposed to the injector cleaner. Odds are you have some deposits...
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1416 on: September 15, 2021, 12:44:15 am »
We bought a used 64 VW in 73-74 or so. It was used by an elderly lady and when we got it 50 mph was about top end. That sucked in a 70 zone, 40 miles a day and in a week or so it would go 65 eventually it topped out around 80. We later put an 87mm big bore kit on a 1500 engine in it and went to 12 Volts. Still single port though.

About 4 years ago my mate Pete (nicknamed "Turtle" because he takes foreve to make a decision) was just about to retire, he was a phone company linesman, and was on a job out in the backroads when he spotted a 1959 Beetle parked outside a little cottage, with a "For Sale" sign on it. He stopped and knocked on the door, and a little old lady answered it, he asked how much for the VW, and she said, "Would $500 be alright?" And for the first time in his life, he said, "Yes!" right away. It was almost mint, syill had the factory vase attached to the dashboard etc, ran great, paint was bit tired, but interior was perfect. My cuz helped him rub it back and prime it, and........ that's as far as he's gone, even though he's been retired for the last 3 years. Hopeless....... ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1417 on: September 16, 2021, 08:38:13 am »
Yup.... these are the satisfying “finds”. The Volvo is not the most exciting car on the planet, but I’ve never owned one, and always liked this body style. My wife has booked us in for a 5 day bicycle tour (50 kilometres a day!) in the Laurentian mountains (Mont Tremblant, Quebec), next week. Going to take it for a longer test..... need to get the front end aligned first. The old RF tire had some deep wear on the inner tread strip.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1418 on: September 16, 2021, 07:32:50 pm »
Yep, it's funny how some "beige" cars can be enjoyed regardless. My 1995 Subaru Liberty AWD sedan (Legacy in the US) is nothing special, I only paid $500 for it 6 years ago, but I regularly walk past my Ford Territory that I bought new (RRP $58K) and jump in the Subaru to do my beer and grocery shopping. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1419 on: September 17, 2021, 04:45:30 am »
Terry..... my other vehicle is my trusty 2003 JEEP Grand Cherokee. One of the last years with a straight six cylinder and the “Select Trac” 4 X 4 transmission. It’s approaching 400,0000 kilometres and sooner or later something major will fail. This Volvo May become my #1!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1420 on: September 17, 2021, 01:33:21 pm »
 I scraped the spots of shrunken peeling lacquer off my 40 chevy, sanded the rust under it and coated it with rust killer primer.  Even black primer on black cherry paint looks better.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #1421 on: September 20, 2021, 02:54:04 am »
I am loosing battle with my Kubota tractor.  Something burned while trying to start it and now it will not turn over. 

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1422 on: September 20, 2021, 07:07:50 am »
I am loosing battle with my Kubota tractor.  Something burned while trying to start it and now it will not turn over. 

Fusible link?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #1423 on: September 20, 2021, 08:41:55 am »

Fusible link?

Checked ok

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #1424 on: September 20, 2021, 03:50:08 pm »
Turns out the battery was good enough for the lights and such but nothing more.  I was able to start it with jumping cables.  Oh well, I feel stupid ;D  It will take me an hour tomorrow to put the tractor back together - dash and hood and side covers...