Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 173527 times)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1450 on: October 13, 2021, 11:01:35 am »
Farm Cart (golfcart) repairs today. My g’kids were here for Thanksgiving and drove the poor thing, non stop, for two days. Ancient Yamaha G1, two stroke, appears to be indestructible.

Subbed in a rebuilt fuel pump, new spark plug, shortened the plug wire and screwed in a new NGK cap. Still running poorly. Mmmmm. Intermittent spark. Cleaned the bullet connectors to the coil and it’s right back up to speed! Too bad I didn’t check the obvious first.....
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:03:42 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1451 on: October 13, 2021, 12:41:16 pm »
 The yamahas are prone to airbox leaks, like putting pods on a sohc4. Watch for that. I left our club car golf cart with the kids in the country for the off racing season. The 5 year old was pretending he was going to work, he jumped on it and backed out of the garage before his Mom caught up and drug him off of it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:50:56 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1452 on: October 13, 2021, 04:57:23 pm »
 I moved tools out of the race trailer for winter before it goes to storage. It was cold in the trailer and humid outside. The garage floor was sweating and the tools were wet before I got them moved from the trailer toolbox to the garage toolbox.  Does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about storing the trailer when it's this humid  inside.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #1453 on: October 14, 2021, 04:08:54 am »
That drives me crazy.  When the weather changes, all my tools and machinery in the shop is drenched with condensation.  Everything rusts eventually.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1454 on: October 14, 2021, 09:54:39 am »
That drives me crazy.  When the weather changes, all my tools and machinery in the shop is drenched with condensation.  Everything rusts eventually.

I keep an old sleeping bag draped over my tool chest in the attached (to the house) garage. It keeps it insulated and the contents stay dry on those swing days when opening the big doors brings in sudden gusts of warm, humid air.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #1455 on: October 14, 2021, 01:13:50 pm »

I keep an old sleeping bag draped over my tool chest in the attached (to the house) garage. It keeps it insulated and the contents stay dry on those swing days when opening the big doors brings in sudden gusts of warm, humid air.

That makes sense, but its kinda hard to wrap milling machine, lathe, table saw and jointer   :(

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1456 on: October 14, 2021, 08:08:30 pm »
I was taught that these are the way to go:

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #1457 on: October 14, 2021, 09:55:17 pm »
I've found that WD-40 is not very effective at preventing rust on machine tools. :(
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1458 on: October 15, 2021, 02:10:16 am »
wd40 is rubbish,use crc or similar

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1459 on: October 15, 2021, 06:35:00 am »
CRC 6-56? From what I just read it's similar to WD but is Silicone based rather than petroleum based, so one application will last much longer.

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #1460 on: October 17, 2021, 03:43:43 pm »
wd40 is reputedly mostly fish oil which is much cheaper in spray cans, also can be obtained by squeezing sardines quite hard
i blame Terry

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #1461 on: October 18, 2021, 11:08:26 am »
Rebuilt the carbs on my power washer and push mower.........then blew all the seals in the pump due to corrosion buildup.

Had to order new connector and pump seals to rebuild the pump.......and the mfer still leaks......sum beech.

However, the wifey can start it, and wash some....so I'm satisfied.

Happy wifey, happy life.....!!!
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1462 on: October 19, 2021, 08:50:50 am »
Spent a full day prepping the MR2 for one more race weekend. The organization for our endurance racing championship has added a late season event at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) at the end of the month. Double header, two eight hour races. My buddy from Calgary can’t make it, so three of us will drive. +5 hours of seat time each (assuming it doesn’t snow!). Can’t wait.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1463 on: October 19, 2021, 10:36:41 am »
  I have my race car winterized and the trailer bearings are re-packed, it's hooked up and waiting to go to storage for winter. Since I have a different storage unit there aren't any bikes in it this year. I'd probably feel more comfortable with at least one or two in it because that storage is at a business with people there 6 days a week and a dozen motorhomes to keep a thief busy.  That said, it's less weight on the tires and springs.   

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1464 on: October 19, 2021, 04:38:33 pm »
  I have my race car winterized and the trailer bearings are re-packed, it's hooked up and waiting to go to storage for winter. Since I have a different storage unit there aren't any bikes in it this year. I'd probably feel more comfortable with at least one or two in it because that storage is at a business with people there 6 days a week and a dozen motorhomes to keep a thief busy.  That said, it's less weight on the tires and springs.   

Don..... we should probably be doing the same. Last year, on Oct 28, we had 3-5” of snow! We’ve also had some beautiful weather for Halloween, so it’s a bit of a crap shoot.....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1465 on: October 19, 2021, 04:52:28 pm »
 I grabbed the kz1000 battery from the mini storage unit and brought it home to the heated shop. I also pumped 5 gallons of 110 av gas into the 40 Chevy. When it comes out in spring I'll make sure it will fly before bringing it home.  The trailer is put away, there was a price increase $2.5 per foot which I don't mind, I think he has been cheap for quite a while.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 04:54:51 pm by Don R »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #1466 on: October 19, 2021, 06:23:36 pm »
I grabbed the kz1000 battery from the mini storage unit and brought it home to the heated shop. I also pumped 5 gallons of 110 av gas into the 40 Chevy. When it comes out in spring I'll make sure it will fly before bringing it home.  The trailer is put away, there was a price increase $2.5 per foot which I don't mind, I think he has been cheap for quite a while.

How does your 40 Chevy run:does it have a hi compression 'mill'/engine in it ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1467 on: October 20, 2021, 09:10:09 am »
Crawled under the Volvo C30 and pulled off the huge, plastic undertray. A local garage does “wash and undercoat” with a waxy, oily spray. Scheduled for Thursday.....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1468 on: October 20, 2021, 09:39:21 am »

It runs good, it has a .030 over 350 truck block with 70/71 double hump heads and a 350 horsepower GM cam. Performer intake and right now it has a 650 holley carb. I went with a muncie/hurst 4 speed just for kicks. I'm putting together an electronic ignition in a stock (Delco) appearing distributor. When I got it out of the garage, rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel I revved it up and the 30 year old turbo mufflers left their bottoms on the driveway. Needless to say it sounds really good.  Only 15.1 ET in the quarter mile but 98 mph. I put a mustang II front end under it and a 57 ford rear end on coil over shocks. 

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1469 on: October 20, 2021, 01:10:08 pm »

It runs good, it has a .030 over 350 truck block with 70/71 double hump heads and a 350 horsepower GM cam. Performer intake and right now it has a 650 holley carb. I went with a muncie/hurst 4 speed just for kicks. I'm putting together an electronic ignition in a stock (Delco) appearing distributor. When I got it out of the garage, rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel I revved it up and the 30 year old turbo mufflers left their bottoms on the driveway. Needless to say it sounds really good.  Only 15.1 ET in the quarter mile but 98 mph. I put a mustang II front end under it and a 57 ford rear end on coil over shocks.

That sounds nice  8) 
Do you feel it has high compression pistons in it now ?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1470 on: October 20, 2021, 03:46:53 pm »
 No, the CR is around 9.5/1  I just gave it the airplane gas for stability. Much like my bikes, sitting too long with modern fuel is an evil that needs to be avoided.  A friend uses it in his old motorcycles with great results and the only 750 I ever owned that didn't need carbs cleaned came from an airport.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1471 on: October 26, 2021, 01:52:49 pm »
No, the CR is around 9.5/1  I just gave it the airplane gas for stability. Much like my bikes, sitting too long with modern fuel is an evil that needs to be avoided.  A friend uses it in his old motorcycles with great results and the only 750 I ever owned that didn't need carbs cleaned came from an airport.

Yes,that is Much better fuel.

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1472 on: October 26, 2021, 08:23:43 pm »
Yep, I think while I'm waiting for T500 parts I might wheel my RC51 out into the daylight and replace the fuel pump and chemically clean out the tank after leaving the bike too long and letting the fuel turn to garbage. I guess I'm lucky the pump died early, at least none of that muck got into the injectors. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1473 on: October 26, 2021, 08:39:48 pm »
 Not a vehicle but I fired up the pressure washer, I was pleased it fired on the fourth pull. I washed some greasy car parts, bike carbs and the grates out of the has grille. I also washed the mud off of the back driveway where the trailer was, that will give me a clean spot to pull the bed off the dually so I can replace the rusty brake and fuel lines.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1474 on: October 27, 2021, 03:11:49 pm »
 I tack welded some exhaust pipe for the firebird. My problem is the mufflers are 3 chamber Magnaflow's and fill the space between the crossmember and the rear axle. I'm not sure where to add a clamp so I can remove the muffler/ tailpipe assembly. I ordered a pair of the stainless band clamps like used in food grade piping. Now I just need a place where they fit.