Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 172094 times)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1900 on: June 05, 2022, 04:43:34 pm »
That oil story reminds me of a past girlfriend and the mother of my son. Her dad Bob took an older motorhome into a local dealership to have the oil changed and a general look over before they were going to go on a trip. Well Bob gets the call and goes to pick it up. He gets down the road a little and you guessed it, the dealership forgot to put in the new oil and it killed the Mopar 440 that was in it. Needless to say it took way longer to get it all fixed then it should, the vacation was ruined and much unhappiness was created for something so simple.   ::)
  A friend of mined changed the oil on his Kaw 4 stroke 750 once and forgot to re-fill but that's another whole story there. The shameful part of that one was he was a professional mechanic at a diesel truck dealership.  ;D

Ouch !  :o  Human Error is HUGE;some serious sh%t.
I can only hope the supervisors,etc. will keep an eye on All their employees more and Give Them the BOOT Out the Door before it costs someone their life.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1901 on: June 05, 2022, 06:34:40 pm »
Yep it’s more common than people want to admit. Amongst my collection of sh1tboxes is our 1997 Hyundai Excel that I bought 20 years ago. It’s been abused since almost new, the PO bought it when it was one year old, and did one oil change in 50,000 miles. I got it cheap so can’t complain, and to its credit nothing has ever gone wrong with it, even with both sons abusing it mercilessly for extended periods.

My youngest did an oil and filter change on it last year and a week or so later I heard the wife start it up and the lifter tick was a bit louder than usual so I switched it off and checked it, and yep, it took 3 litres to bring it up to full. Obviously my boy had put a litre in it and got side tracked, but once again after filling it up, it’s going great, those old Hyundais are bulletproof. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1902 on: June 05, 2022, 07:48:30 pm »
I make small notes for myself,then when I've finished the task,I cross that one off the list:to be sure.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1903 on: June 05, 2022, 07:51:55 pm »
Good idea Bill, I take lots of pics when I disassemble something in the hope that I can refer back to them when I go to reassemble them. I had to remove several brackets yesterday and already I can’t remember where they all went? ;DD
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1904 on: June 05, 2022, 08:03:01 pm »
Good idea Bill, I take lots of pics when I disassemble something in the hope that I can refer back to them when I go to reassemble them. I had to remove several brackets yesterday and already I can’t remember where they all went? ;DD

Terry,I remember a few times during the 90's a few customers wanted to work right along side me on my lift to fix their bike:I let it happen just once while doing a valve adjustment on a 16 valve bike,never again.The rest of them I said "insurance won't cover them being in my shop".
I can't Fully concentrate on the job at hand while answering questions;that particular customer wanted me to teach him exactly how to do his own valve adjustment(valve shims too !)so the job took twice as long,but he was paying by the hour..  ::)
I just hate to leave room for error on my part.

The only way it could work is if I had a 'shop helper' girl :D that would take orders from me,then listen and learn Exactly how I want the job done and Not deviate from what I taught her.The other thing that would help is I could have some fringe benefits from her during the day  ;)  Would make it tolerable  ::)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 09:10:10 pm by grcamna2 »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1905 on: June 05, 2022, 08:12:28 pm »
Ha ha, keep dreaming Bill, I think there are laws against that sort of employer/employee relationship, or at least there should be. I hear you regarding the annoying customers who want to hang out to learn from you, or worse, those who think they’re actually helping. Back in the 80’s my local Kawasaki dealership had a sign outside their workshop that said something like, “Hourly labour rate- $25. If you want to look, $35. If you want to help, $50.” ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1906 on: June 06, 2022, 12:03:48 am »
The Gen 3 BMW Mini they finally wished up and put a BMW turbo design engine in the Mini which is super reliable and gives good power. A much more reliable motor. BMW Mini is too proud of the parts that go in the car as everything is super expensive.
Changing rear hubs and the service dealer, BMW Mini authorized dealer only now as BMW Mini pulled the franchises on sales for a lot of dealers last November and Tucson lost their Mini sales dealership... With No warning. (...mentioned to the parts guy when ordering new bolts for the rear bearing hubs that I was getting bent over for $75 to register or tell the computer I put a new battery in the car! He took pity on me and sold them to me for 1/2 the original quoted cost... only about $40 out the door for the 8 bolts for the rear bearing hubs...

Sales have been good for the Tucson Mini dealer too. Just sales overall for Mini the past few years have lagged and they did some scaling back in dealerships as a result. The Mini isn't the scalded dog hot hatchback or 4 door it once was... as many other cars that are same or less money out perform them. They delayed the redesign of the 2-door hardtop as a result of the loss of sales and profitability of the company. The Gen 3 F56 2 door hardtop for the Cooper and Cooper S hasn't seen a redesign and body change since the F56 came out in 2014. It has had interior a d front grill and rear tail light or plastics changes but  work is all the same. Personally, I would like to have a '13 clubman two front door with the half door on the right married to the BMW Twin Turbo 2.0L motor of a recent model. But, that would require a '13 with dead motor in great shape and a rear ended wrecked recent model to create such a beast and it likely would require some engineering skills and welding skills I don't have.  I should have gone with a Clubman 2 door or 4 door model instead of the 2 door hatchback. I don't have more than one other person ride with me and the rear seat stays folded down... It is a tiny car and I'm a big guy. People are supposed to see me get out of the Mini or find out I drive one. With the sunroof my headroom is barely sufficient. My older sister has a Celica years ago and I have a long torso for my 6ft 4 inch tall frame and the only way I could ride with her was to either recline the seat a lot or if I sat up to ride comfortably my head was sticking out of the sunroof opening an inch or more...she didn't like that for whatever reason... ;)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 12:07:48 am by RAFster122s »
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline tourmax

• Enthusiast
« Reply #1907 on: June 06, 2022, 03:16:38 am »
The Gen 3 BMW Mini they finally wished up and put a BMW turbo design engine in the Mini which is super reliable and gives good power. A much more reliable motor. BMW Mini is too proud of the parts that go in the car as everything is super expensive.
Changing rear hubs and the service dealer, BMW Mini authorized dealer only now as BMW Mini pulled the franchises on sales for a lot of dealers last November and Tucson lost their Mini sales dealership... With No warning. (...mentioned to the parts guy when ordering new bolts for the rear bearing hubs that I was getting bent over for $75 to register or tell the computer I put a new battery in the car! He took pity on me and sold them to me for 1/2 the original quoted cost... only about $40 out the door for the 8 bolts for the rear bearing hubs...

Sales have been good for the Tucson Mini dealer too. Just sales overall for Mini the past few years have lagged and they did some scaling back in dealerships as a result. The Mini isn't the scalded dog hot hatchback or 4 door it once was... as many other cars that are same or less money out perform them. They delayed the redesign of the 2-door hardtop as a result of the loss of sales and profitability of the company. The Gen 3 F56 2 door hardtop for the Cooper and Cooper S hasn't seen a redesign and body change since the F56 came out in 2014. It has had interior a d front grill and rear tail light or plastics changes but  work is all the same. Personally, I would like to have a '13 clubman two front door with the half door on the right married to the BMW Twin Turbo 2.0L motor of a recent model. But, that would require a '13 with dead motor in great shape and a rear ended wrecked recent model to create such a beast and it likely would require some engineering skills and welding skills I don't have.  I should have gone with a Clubman 2 door or 4 door model instead of the 2 door hatchback. I don't have more than one other person ride with me and the rear seat stays folded down... It is a tiny car and I'm a big guy. People are supposed to see me get out of the Mini or find out I drive one. With the sunroof my headroom is barely sufficient. My older sister has a Celica years ago and I have a long torso for my 6ft 4 inch tall frame and the only way I could ride with her was to either recline the seat a lot or if I sat up to ride comfortably my head was sticking out of the sunroof opening an inch or more...she didn't like that for whatever reason... ;)

Ah, you have that stupid battery monitor circuit. Luckily, the wife's car doesn't have that. But I bought the Foxwell reader/programmer when she bought the mini, so I can change all that if I want to anyways. It's actually paid for itself a couple times over already.
1989 FJ1200, 1983 Yamaha Venture (Vmax conversion), 1985 VF 750F Interceptor, 1982 CB650SC, 1988 Corvette convertible (Z52), 1983 Mustang GT, 2009 Mini Cooper Clubman.Couple more lying around but this is long enough already!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1908 on: June 06, 2022, 06:58:50 am »
  A friend of mined changed the oil on his Kaw 4 stroke 750 once and forgot to re-fill but that's another whole story there. The shameful part of that one was he was a professional mechanic at a diesel truck dealership.

Hope that wasnt Sean!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #1909 on: June 06, 2022, 07:45:29 am »
  A friend of mined changed the oil on his Kaw 4 stroke 750 once and forgot to re-fill but that's another whole story there. The shameful part of that one was he was a professional mechanic at a diesel truck dealership.

Hope that wasnt Sean!
Nope it wasn't Sean. Don't think he gets as distracted maybe as much as some other people when he is working on his babies.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #1910 on: June 06, 2022, 09:26:24 am »
My streak of bad tire luck continues on my 2013 Lincoln MKT. I put an almost new tire on the right rear on Thursday morning. Friday morning driving to work I had flat on the highway on the same tire and the short distance before I was able to pull over damaged the tire, so I had to replace it again. At least the new rim I had installed at the same time as the tire was damaged. Over the past 18 months I have had to have a cracked rim welded twice and replaced 4 damaged tires.

I wasn't able to replace the tire until Saturday, so rather than Uber drive Friday like I have planned, I spent a couple hours after work in my garage finishing the assembly of the fluid pump for the Envoy trans rebuild project. It took me a stupid amount of time to get the housing halves properly aligned so that when I torqued the bolts to spec the pump rotor didn't bind. I did finally get it though. Another couple evenings of work and it will be ready for installation.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 01:25:18 pm by Bankerdanny »
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1911 on: June 06, 2022, 09:37:44 am »
Replaced a control diaphragm in the Volvo C30. It’s part of the crankcase ventilation system. If you look closely at the first picture, you can see the first attempt, where I managed to get one in a little offset. It worked for a few days and then the “check engine light” came on again. It’s in a tough place, so had to remove the turbo tube, air intake, and move the airbox to one side..... This time, I bought a kit that included a new spring, diaphragm and cap. Installed it correctly and the “chirp” is gone! Light is out and very satisfying!!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 12:53:55 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #1912 on: June 06, 2022, 12:43:30 pm »
The '96 Grand Marquis headed out the driveway this morning to its new home.  It's been fun. On to the next project.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1913 on: June 20, 2022, 02:59:53 am »
Well a few weeks ago I bought a shiny new cylinder head for my little Mitsubishi Triton truck. The truck was blowing too much smoke to pass a roadworthy certificate inspection, and it was annoying, so I was happy to shell out $1145 (about $800 USD) for a shiny new head that came complete with valves, springs, rockers, camshaft, new head bolts, gaskets, etc. I compared both heads side by side and they appeared identical, so I cleaned the gasket surface on the engine block, installed the new head gasket, spent another few hours installing a new timing belt kit and putting everything back on it. I finally fired it up and was rewarded with the "Farty Fart fart" sound of a leaking head gasket. Motherfcuker.........

What had I done wrong? I've installed heaps of head gaskets over the last 50 years and the only time I remember one leaking recently was on a CB750 that I was building for a customer who refused to pay to have the head skimmed, and it leaked oil, but apart from some of my cereal box gaskets that I made when I was a kid, that was about it. I scratched my head until the hair had disappeared in places. I ordered a new head gasket and started to strip it down again. I really wasn't confidant that I could fix it, which really pissed me off, but I couldn't understand what I'd done wrong?

I rode my K0 on Saturday and during the ride I had a minor epiphany. On the ends of the mating surfaces of the cylinder block there are hollow locating dowels that should fit neatly into matching recesses on the new cylinder head. I measured the recesses on both heads, and yep, the holes in the new head were ever so slightly smaller. As the dowels only protrude around 2-3mm above the head gasket, my guess is that the dowels fit (just) into the chamfers in the dowel holes in the head, But when I torqued the head down, the dowels couldn't go any further into the smaller holes, so even with the head torqued down it still had a poofteenth of a gap betwixt the head/gasket/cylinder block.

Yesterday I cleaned the remains of the ("used for 5 minutes") chinese head gasket from both surfaces, and even used a sanding block to make sure that there were no tiny rough areas or particles of poop that could come back to haunt me, and called it good. Using my drenel with a sanding drum attachment, I slightly enlarged the holes for the locating dowels at either end of the head and test fit the head onto the block without the gasket, and it was a nice fit now, with no “rocking”. I'd bought a spray can of Hylomar "Jointing compound" (gasket spray) just for a little extra insurance so I gave both sides of the new ($190....) Permaseal head gasket a squirt for some extra insurance and let it sit for 30 minutes or so before I dropped the head back on. The new head had come with a paper inlet manifold gasket which was useless and was buggered by the time I'd removed the head, so I cleaned the OEM steel gasket and gave it a spray of Hylomar for good measure.

I torqued the head down and started buttoning the engine back up again, but ran out of light (winter here) so gave up for the night. Lucky I did, as I'd just gotten out of the shower when the phone rang, and I had to go and rescue Spotty, who'd broken down on his way home from the coast. Today I stopped (paid) work early so I could get it finished in daylight. Much to my surprise, once I hooked everything up I turned the ignition key a couple of times to build up some fuel pressure, then turned the key all the way, and it fired right up, woohoo! ;D

« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 09:01:03 am by Terry in Australia »

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #1914 on: June 20, 2022, 09:49:22 am »
Nice job buddy! Don't you love it when the solution comes to you out of the blue while riding. I also get ideas and solutions in the middle of the night.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1915 on: June 20, 2022, 01:35:50 pm »
Replaced all the valve springs and seals in my 76 Cherokee Chief w/amc360.

Had one broken spring.... everything else looks good but I noticed old springs are a bit collapsed so replaced all.  The old seals were also shot.  I'll feel better knowing it's done. 

Joe

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1916 on: June 20, 2022, 01:39:53 pm »

Had one broken spring.... everything else looks good but I noticed old springs are a bit collapsed so replaced all.  The old seals were also shot.  I'll feel better knowing it's done. 

Joe

A necessary job  :) How many miles on the engine ?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1917 on: June 20, 2022, 02:48:33 pm »
Nice job buddy! Don't you love it when the solution comes to you out of the blue while riding. I also get ideas and solutions in the middle of the night.

Thanks mate, yep my dad used to say that if he got paid for all the work he did in the middle of the night he’d be rich. I’m just ‘rapt that the engine is back to “as new” and am considering a turbo kit I saw on Ebay USA, an extra 100 BHP wouldn’t go astray in that little 4 banger…. ;D

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1918 on: June 20, 2022, 03:17:08 pm »

Joe

A necessary job  :) How many miles on the engine ?
I'm actually not sure.  Jeep had a 401 from factory.  But best I can tell it had a 360 installed at some point in it's life.

13k miles on ODO...but I assume it rolled over

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1919 on: June 20, 2022, 04:25:56 pm »
Nice work Joe and Terry….

Glad you got them fixed up.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1920 on: June 20, 2022, 04:41:31 pm »
That’s a nice looking jeep Joe, I’d love a big V8 beast like that, but fuel is more expensive here than it is in the US, so not something I’d like to take on a long road trip. Does anyone in the US do LP gas (propane) conversions for cars and trucks? Over here they’re common, I had a couple of Ford “Utes” (sedan based pickup) that were “dedicated gas” (no gasoline) and apart from LP gas costing less than half the price of gasoline, the LP gas powered engines ran much cleaner and I had a conversation with a taxi owner back in the 80’s when gas conversions were a new thing here, he told me that the oil in his cab was so clean at the usual 5000 mile oil change interval that he kept checking his oil every 5000 miles, and eventually changed his oil change intervals from 5000 miles to 25000.

My dedicated gas company vehicles were serviced every 12000 miles, and I remember checking the oil and being surprised at how clean the oil was even though it was due for a service. The only downside is that you need somewhere to locate another fuel tank, the conversion costs a couple of thousand bucks, you may not get the same amount of power and you may not get the same fuel mileage. I say “may not” because it seems to work differently with different engines, I’ve driven “Dual Fuel” cars (particularly Fords) that seem to run as smoothly on LPG as they do on gasoline, but I also had a new V6 dual fuel Toyota Hilux that didn’t like LPG at all. Anyway it’s another option. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1921 on: June 20, 2022, 04:43:24 pm »
Nice work Joe and Terry….

Glad you got them fixed up.

David

Thanks David, I’m really happy that it’s all fixed, if that head gasket leaked again I was gonna burn it. ;D

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #1922 on: June 20, 2022, 04:49:25 pm »
Came home from camping to a dead battery on my '13 Lincoln MKT. Jumped it from the girlfriend's car and drove around for a while to add some juice and noticed an acid smell, not good. Parked for the night and dead again this morning. Another jump and off to AutoZone for a battery. I pulled the old one for the core and when I set it on the counter at the store you could see fumes leaking out.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1923 on: June 20, 2022, 05:45:05 pm »
Hey Terry...we are loving the jeep.  To be honest its getting shook down as my daily driver.   I work from home so we don't put a lot of miles on cars.  And if we are going on a trip we're either taking the firebird or the jeep.  The hope is to be able to camp in the jeep on longer trips. 

For now we have the 73 firebird which is getting a full engine and trans refresh.  Should put a lot more power to the wheels when done.  And we have my old 2000 Ford ranger which gets only 15mpg anyway....so not much difference with the jeep.  I left it 2 barrel for now.  Seems to get about  14mpg in the city

Never seen an LP conversion around here but I assume it's happened.  For sure I see it referenced on the fsj forums, but most are in NZ and Australia.

So you cap off today...all springs and seals replaced and started up fine...but then this damn dip stick tube broke off.   Now I know my next part order at least.  Along with replacing an obscenely noisy fuel pump.

Joe

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1924 on: June 20, 2022, 06:11:08 pm »
No worries Joe, yep, LPG conversions are common here, I'd love a big beastie like your Jeep and you're right about the Ford Explorers, my old 1998 model was a great car apart from the timing chain issues but the fuel economy for that big V6 was terrible, mine was good for 19 MPG on the highway, which was exactly what it was getting in 1998 when "Wheels" magazine did the road test, yet my new Ford Territory (2.7 Litre turbo diesel V6) had more torque and around the same BHP, but consistently returned 40 MPG+. (imperial gallons, 4.5 litres vs US gallons, 3.7 litres)

You've got a great collection of cars Joe, over here you'd have to be a wealthy man to buy those cars. ;D