Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 171963 times)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1950 on: June 28, 2022, 04:30:48 pm »
An Echo is going to be transitioning to Race car as your wrecked one is gonna be breathing life into another for track duty......

I think the next rental will be a Nissan Micro ( from another one make Series that ram in Canada for several years).

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1951 on: June 29, 2022, 02:38:40 am »
I dropped my little truck off for it's Roadworthy Inspection today, so while I was chewing my fingernails waiting for the (good, hopefully) news, I decided to revive my 2002 Subaru B4 Liberty (Legacy in the US) twin turbo beastie. Last time I drove it, the engine was running hot and I wasn't confident to drive it too far. I had attempted to start it a few weeks ago but the battery was dead flat, so I think that there's an electrical issue as well. No matter, I'd charged the battery weeks ago and it was still fully charged, so I dropped it in and fired it up. It fired up right away and ran fine.

I had half a bottle of leftover Nulon radiator stop leak stuff, so I wandered into my garage to grab it, when I saw the bottle of KSeal Head Gasket repair. I'd bought it for the Mitsubishi but didn't need it once I realised that the problem was with the head, and not the gasket, so, knowing that the overheating issue could be related to Subaru's known appetite for head gaskets, I tipped the bottle in. As per the instructions I needed to run the engine for 15 minutes, so I locked up the house and went for a drive. Much to my (happy) surprise, the temp gauge never went over the halfway point over the 50 mile drive.

So I was happy with that, but not happy that, while the little beast rockets up to 100 MPH on the primary turbo, when the tacho needle hits 4500 RPM, instead of the larger secondary turbo cutting in, it bucks and jerks wildly, with no acceleration. I'm pretty sure that the secondary turbo has sh1t the bed, so I've ordered a very nice used one from the United Arab Emirates. I'm not surprised, the primary turbo was buggared when we bought the car 7(?) years ago, and while the secondary turbo doesn't work nearly as hard as the primary turbo does, it sits, unused for long periods, especially this year, as I sold my Ford to my son who'd been driving the Subaru regularly back in January so it's done zero miles this year, until now.

Anyway, I'm watching lots of Youtube videos on various twin turbo Subaru ailments, so by the time the new(to me) turbo arrives, I'll no doubt be an expert...... ;D

Terry's Subaru B4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1952 on: July 01, 2022, 05:14:43 pm »
 20 years or so ago, I spent an evening with a college professor and a few of his Saudi students, I asked what the popular cars were, at that time he said it was big German cars but he said anything that breaks down on the road is promptly abandoned and replaced with a new car. Soon they move further from the road and all the parts begin to disappear. Terry, your turbo might be off of roadkill lol.

One student purchased a new caddy on his mastercard. On a fluke the salesman called it in, and they approved it. Later, he got a Bandit Trans am too because his friends were borrowing the caddy, often when he needed it. He was being paid a decent salary by his government to attend college and planned to get a really good education before returning home.
  His 14 year old nephew drove a Lamborghini to school when he was 14. Would not get a ticket because he is a Prince.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1953 on: July 02, 2022, 02:16:46 am »
That could well be the case Don, and the pic looked like a brand new turbo, so hopefully the previous owner had a good air filter in place, because many years ago a guy I knew who was a transport manager for a big trucking firm here told me about the damage that sand did to a fleet of Mercedes trucks that he bought for a contract in Saudi Arabia.

More than likely my turbo is probably still good and the one I've bought is unnecessary, but that's how I roll, buying parts that I don't need, but sometimes that's not a bad thing. My twin turbo Subaru beastie was pissing me off to the point that I only drove it once in 6 months due to it overheating the first time I drove it after trading cars with my son. The car's been in the family since 2014 or 15 (I can't remember and he's not here to ask) but even though it was registered and insured in my name, he drove it. I got to drive it whenever I asked him, and I was very impressed with it's 300(+) BHP in such a small car, but at the moment somethings not going properly, when I open it up, at 4500 RPM the second turbo should cut in, but it's not. Today I bought a new OEM Air Flow Meter sensor (400 Aussie beans, or around $300 USD) which may or may not fix the problem, but one less thing to buy if I give up and give the car to my current favourite mechanic, because I know it'll cost way more if he has to buy one and install it.

I'm suddenly interested in driving it again due to me accidentally fixing the overheating problem the other day. I'd bought a bottle of KSeal headgasket sealer for the Mitsubishi truck when I was scratching my head as to why the shiny new cylinder head was not working properly. I didn't need it for the Mitsi, so tipped it into the radiator on the Subaru and topped it up with fresh coolant (after sitting for 6 months it was low on coolant) and I was happy that after installing the recharged battery it fired up immediately, and for the first time that I can remember, it never went past the halfway mark on the temp gauge. That KSeal stuff isn't cheap here, but worth every cent. Today I took it for another 50 mile drive in the hope that the more I drive it, the more it will remember how to work (sounds stupid but sometimes works in my favour) and as it was filthy I took it to my favourite car wash and gave it a good scrub, which included pressure washing some moss out of the roof gutter.

I managed to slice my finger open when I tried to push the moss out, but apart from that I was relatively unscathed. I didn't get the opportunity to see if turbo #2 has re-awoken yet, but after filling it with 98 RON fuel (that was 10 cents per litre cheaper than buying 91 RON at the gas stations located on either side of the freeway, those thieving, gouging arsehats...) it ran really nicely and rocketed up to some highly illegal speeds just on the primary turbo, which is quite small and would probably work very nicely on a CB750. I happen to have a spare primary turbo (because I bought one and all that was wrong was the waste gate was jammed on the old one, which I suspect is the issue on the secondary turbo, even though technically it doesn't have a waste gate) so one day I might think about turboing a fat four..... ;D

Terry’s turbo Subaru. by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1954 on: July 02, 2022, 04:13:56 pm »
  I finally installed the LED taillights in my 40 chevy Coupe. They are a lot brighter, and I have less worry about people not seeing my turn signals or brake lights in the daytime. The running lights are also brighter but not as noticeable as the bright side.
  The wiring was obvious, green to ground, red to black and black to red. The instructions said not to wire them backwards or they could burn out but failed to indicate which was the ground.
  In the mid 70's I wired the car mostly with fire alarm wire an electrician had cut off and left laying all over the floor of a job I was on. It was big enough and stranded, I found some new blade fuse holders and bought 3 of them, mounted it all to a piece of Lexan painted silver on the back side.  I didn't expect it to still be working 45+ years later. The engine compartment has automotive type with trailer plugs for front clip removal.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1955 on: July 03, 2022, 11:36:26 am »
 I started it this morning and it flooded once again, I cleaned the front float bowl for the umptheenth time, it had globs of something that sort of dissolved between my fingers. I changed the fuel filter and flushed the lines, so far so good. The filtered fuel looked great, no rust color or anything just a little blue from the amzoil 2 stroke oil and mixed airplane gas.
 I'm wondering if there is dissolved rubber in the fuel lines or the old filter took a leak inside. It had 4" of 3/8" rubber line at the tank and 2' of braided at the pump to carb.

Edit, I cut open the efi type fuel filter and it was surprisingly clean inside. The debris in the carb must be from the braided fuel line.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 07:04:13 pm by Don R »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1956 on: July 04, 2022, 11:45:16 pm »
Well it was a red letter day today. I took the registration transfer form to the local VICROADS (DMV) office to finally transfer the little truck into my name. It passed it's Roadworthy Inspection with flying colours last Thursday after I replaced the wheels and tyres with the correct original OEM items, replacing the entire cylinder head assembly (cam, rockers, valves etc) with a shiny new one, replaced both rear axle seals as they were leaking oil into the brake drums, had both the brake discs and drums machined and new pads/shoes installed, replaced one headlight, and lots of little things like windscreen wiper rubbers, fixed the washers that didn't work, etc etc etc.

Now my usual visit to the DMV involves waiting in a long line, then taking a ticket, sitting for an even longer period before I'm actually "served" which usually involves an interrogation that Martin Bormann would have been proud of, then taking their sweet time to give me my paperwork. Not today, I arrived right on 1215, and the place was nearly empty. I was given a ticket, and before I could even start browsing FB marketplace, I was called to the desk. After a cursory glance of the transfer document the nice lady printed my paperwork, took a few hundred bucks off me, and bid me farewell around 12.30. I still can't believe it! Anyway, all done now, and I'll get back to installing my home made motorcycle loading system shortly. ;D

Terry’s Triton 8 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #1957 on: July 05, 2022, 12:03:51 am »
Terry,plenty of success on the truck,plus you removed both those large 'ram's horn' racks off of it  :D
I have just learned from your last post here that your motorcycle loading system is finished and ready for mounting onto the truck 'bed'. ?  8) 8)

I like those trees behind where your truck is parked.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 12:05:41 am by grcamna2 »
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1958 on: July 05, 2022, 12:32:51 am »
Thanks Bill, no, and no. The front bar needs to be chopped off still, I banged my head on it the other day which reminded me that it sticks out too far past the cab. And no, I haven't done any more on my motorcycle lifter lately, but I'll get into it soon. I've seen another bike that I'm interested in buying, it's a non-runner, so will be an ideal candidate for a ride in the back of my truck. ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1959 on: July 05, 2022, 12:41:57 am »
Congrats on the win at DMV/VicRoads
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1960 on: July 05, 2022, 01:47:46 am »
Congrats on the win at DMV/VicRoads

Thanks David, to be honest I was expecting the worst, so wasn't ready for the best! ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1961 on: July 05, 2022, 03:37:17 pm »
Thanks Bill, no, and no. The front bar needs to be chopped off still, I banged my head on it the other day which reminded me that it sticks out too far past the cab. And no, I haven't done any more on my motorcycle lifter lately, but I'll get into it soon. I've seen another bike that I'm interested in buying, it's a non-runner, so will be an ideal candidate for a ride in the back of my truck. ;D

The truck is ready to be put to work  :)
I looked a bit closer(the trees behind had 'colored' my view'  :D and now I see the front rack still up there.
Nice trees  8)

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #1962 on: July 05, 2022, 03:50:33 pm »
Making a mental checklist of what I have to do before our beach trip on Sunday. 8hr drive taking 3 vehicles. Her dad brother and niece in one.
Ole lady and the kids in hers. Then me in my car. I have to drive separately bc I'm not staying the whole time. I have limited time off work.
Making a trip to the junkyard for a full size spare for the jeep. Then I have to install a new blower motor in it as well.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1963 on: July 06, 2022, 08:52:08 am »
"Rolled" over to 100K miles in the Tacoma...

"Celebrated" it by getting it's annual inspection [$18.50] registration [$78] oil change and wash [$42]

Good for another year! 

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1964 on: July 06, 2022, 02:31:38 pm »
That’s a good looking truck Steve, we don’t get them here, and I’m not into huge trucks, but those Toyota V8’s are great engines. ;D

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #1965 on: July 06, 2022, 03:10:46 pm »
Drove the 61 about a hour away for a spare wheel for the family car.
Lucked out and found some of the power steering conversion parts while I was there. Going back to that junkyard next week to get them.

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1966 on: July 06, 2022, 03:14:32 pm »
That’s a good looking truck Steve, we don’t get them here, and I’m not into huge trucks, but those Toyota V8’s are great engines. ;D

Thanks Terry. I'm not a "truck guy" but seems there is always something that needs to be picked up and/or hauled somewhere, so it is good to have.

BTW - this is a Tacoma, with a 4.0L V6, the V8 is only in the [larger] Tundra, which I really dont like.
The V6 has 236 hp and is very peppy and gets around 20mpg, which is fine since I really dont drive it that much.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1967 on: July 06, 2022, 03:53:11 pm »
Lucked out and found some of the power steering conversion parts while I was there. Going back to that junkyard next week to get them.

Power steering conversion for the 61' Pick-up ?  8)

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #1968 on: July 06, 2022, 04:23:20 pm »

Power steering conversion for the 61' Pick-up ?  8)
Yes. And yes.
My truck came with the 305 V6.
Oddball motor but I lucked out and found a 351 V6 in a old dump truck today.
It has the pulleys I need and part of the brkts. As well as a upgrade intake if I decided later on to run a 2 bbl carb instead of a single.
Lots of older stuff around that yard. Going to go back and wander around. Might find the other part of the brkt I need.

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #1969 on: July 06, 2022, 06:09:04 pm »
Well it was a red letter day today. I took the registration transfer form to the local VICROADS (DMV) office to finally transfer the little truck into my name. It passed it's Roadworthy Inspection with flying colours last Thursday after I replaced the wheels and tyres with the correct original OEM items, replacing the entire cylinder head assembly (cam, rockers, valves etc) with a shiny new one, replaced both rear axle seals as they were leaking oil into the brake drums, had both the brake discs and drums machined and new pads/shoes installed, replaced one headlight, and lots of little things like windscreen wiper rubbers, fixed the washers that didn't work, etc etc etc.

Now my usual visit to the DMV involves waiting in a long line, then taking a ticket, sitting for an even longer period before I'm actually "served" which usually involves an interrogation that Martin Bormann would have been proud of, then taking their sweet time to give me my paperwork. Not today, I arrived right on 1215, and the place was nearly empty. I was given a ticket, and before I could even start browsing FB marketplace, I was called to the desk. After a cursory glance of the transfer document the nice lady printed my paperwork, took a few hundred bucks off me, and bid me farewell around 12.30. I still can't believe it! Anyway, all done now, and I'll get back to installing my home made motorcycle loading system shortly. ;D

Terry’s Triton 8 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Did you speak to Brian about the one he used for the sidecar, it was trick & home made.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #1970 on: July 06, 2022, 07:33:21 pm »
Today I finished up welding in the new bigger fenders and inner fenders on the 12' trailer. The old fenders rubbed on the inside sidewall of the tires under a full 1 1/2 yard load of crushed rock. With the new fenders we will be able to step up from 14" to 15" wheels for increased load capacity. Next we'll replace the wood deck with diamond plate steel.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1971 on: July 06, 2022, 07:42:30 pm »
Nice looking work Kelley.
The black primed tank behind it:is that from a Nighthawk?

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #1972 on: July 06, 2022, 08:08:05 pm »
Thanks, the bike behind the trailer is an untitled 82' Honda V45 Sabre frame and tank. I pulled the few parts that fit my 84' Sabre 700 and sold most of the other parts. I might make it into a Rust Bros Garage sign to hang outside on the wall above the short bay door of the shop. I even have a seat, tailpiece/taillight forks, swingarm, wheels and a right side handlebar to complete the look.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #1973 on: July 06, 2022, 08:09:45 pm »
Thanks, the bike behind the trailer is an untitled 82' Honda V45 Sabre frame and tank. I pulled the few parts that fit my 84' Sabre 700 and sold most of the other parts. I might make it into a Rust Bros Garage sign to hang outside on the wall above the short bay door of the shop. I even have a seat, tailpiece/taillight forks, swingarm, wheels and a right side handlebar to complete the look.
That would be a super rad sign!!

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1974 on: July 07, 2022, 12:50:10 am »
speaking of trailers i repainted mine the other day,id only used a brush in the past but this time i used a spray gun,i bought a $20 second hand but unused unbranded spray gun but when i opened it at home its a brand new star S770 worth much more!i used the same hammer finish enamel paint as before but thinned about 10%,ive never used a spray gun before and it looks pretty fair for a trailer?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 12:57:11 am by dave500 »