Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 171351 times)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2175 on: August 21, 2022, 08:21:36 am »
Got 4th back in the 6.5 3500.

Now I think I'll put the XS650 chopper up for trade to a car trailer.

Did the 3500 have a trans. solenoid problem ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2176 on: August 21, 2022, 01:06:10 pm »
Got 4th back in the 6.5 3500.

Now I think I'll put the XS650 chopper up for trade to a car trailer.

Can you post a pic of the XS650 chopper mate? I’d really like to build a chopper, but getting it legally on the road here is a difficult process. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2177 on: August 21, 2022, 10:32:54 pm »
I've hated the big arsed mirrors on my little truck as much as I hated the tray, so I ordered some repop OEM door mirrors. I installed them yesterday and am much happier with them, but now have a new problem. The doors were designed for either mirror, but Mitsubishi provided threaded holes for the big mirror's top bracket, and used self tapping screws for the bottom bracket, so I somehow need to camouflage the screw holes, or buy two new doors. (The upgraded 4WD versions didn't have the holes for the big arsed mirrors, but I really don't want to buy two new doors)

From this:

Triton Saturday 20 Aug 2022 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

To this:

Triton Sunday 21 Aug 2022 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Except for this:

Triton Sunday 21 Aug 2022 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I've ordered some white silicon blanking plugs which should at least camouflage the holes, but it still pisses me off that they're there, at all. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2178 on: August 22, 2022, 01:02:58 am »
get a couple of triangular lazer cut alloy "TERRY"badges made up and put one each side?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2179 on: August 22, 2022, 02:31:06 am »
get a couple of triangular lazer cut alloy "TERRY"badges made up and put one each side?

Ha ha, I did think about buying a cheap CNC router/mill and cut a couple of triangular shaped alloy badges Dave, you know, like the logo on Superman's chest? I suppose I could just get some "Terry's motorcycle recovery" magnetic signs made up to cover at least the bottom two holes? ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2180 on: August 22, 2022, 06:03:43 am »
Went to a garage sale Saturday morning which is a usual routine for me. This was a big house in a well to do area of historic old houses. The young couple who are "green" and only do battery things bought this huge house a couple/few years ago and the previous owner left them this still brand new Craftsman snowblower he had only used a couple of times. Still has its nubs on the tires. I pulled the starter rope a couple of times but would not fire. Bought it anyways. Gas tank had some weird white kind of granular crap in the bottom which did not do the tiny inline filter in the gas tank outlet nipple any favors. So removed the tank and cleaned well. Stripped the nice carb down and cleaned the screw in main jet and emulsion tube and the clogged air jet. After a little bit of maintenance she is purring like a little kitten.
  My old blower was getting a little old and tired so can take that to my shop so no more having to haul one back and forth. Let it snow, let it snow !  ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2181 on: August 22, 2022, 07:00:03 am »
One of those cool old school dune buggies caught my eye yesterday Steve while I was out on my country cruise for a ride. It was sitting out in a front yard close to the road and was tempted to turn around and see if it was for sale. Just bought another mini van and need another thing that burns gas like I need a hole in my head.  ;D

Another mini-van...WTH??  You aint no soccer mom!  I'm sure it would haul more stuff than the old dune buggy though...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2182 on: August 22, 2022, 07:45:10 am »
  I changed the oil in the 40 chevy and did a mini-service on it. It needs a new exhaust, the old one only lasted 35 years. I'll try to do better this time.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2183 on: August 22, 2022, 08:00:10 am »
One of those cool old school dune buggies caught my eye yesterday Steve while I was out on my country cruise for a ride. It was sitting out in a front yard close to the road and was tempted to turn around and see if it was for sale. Just bought another mini van and need another thing that burns gas like I need a hole in my head.  ;D

Another mini-van...WTH??  You aint no soccer mom!  I'm sure it would haul more stuff than the old dune buggy though...
Is there even such thing as a soccer Dad ??  :D  Its going to be my 'new' winter beater and will keep things I buy dry and protected and put my gas guzzling F250 to bed for awhile !   Heck if my wife gives me the boot for buying so much junk I can even live in it for awhile !!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 08:03:31 am by ekpent »

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #2184 on: August 22, 2022, 09:29:54 am »
I was up in Michigan at the camp ground again. Next weekend we pull the camper to bring it back to the storage year in Illinois. We aren't done with it, we will be towing it to two different events the first 2 weekends in September.

My transmission rebuild for the vehicle that was supposed to be for towing has been stalled due to all the time I spent in April working on replacing the floor in the camper, then being out of town almost every weekend since Memorial Day.

So Friday after work I loaded all the parts and gaskets and a bunch of tools and my small compressor into the Lincoln and hauled them up to Michigan while Laura brought the usual weekend stuff and the dogs in her vehicle.

Saturday and Sunday I worked on reassembling the trans. Saturday was an exercise in frustration as I damaged a couple seals, which I will now need to replace, and just couldn't get an overrun piston (a 4" metal donut shaped piece with seals on the outside and inside edges) to fit where it belonged. I did finally get it in, but you are supposed to be able to rotate it freely and it was stuck. At that point I gave up for the day.

Sunday I took up the fight again. Thanks to bringing my compressor I was able to pop the piston out. After confirming I didn't damage the seals I got it back together, then used the air to move it up and down until the lip of the inner seal was properly seated and it rotated in its bore. I was able to install several clutches and finally knocked off for the day about 7:30 when I discovered I was missing a key snap ring to hold together the next group of clutches. It is probably on my work bench at my apartment. But it was a good place to stop so we could have dinner then pack up to head home.

Despite Saturday's frustration it was nice to make progress again. Hopefully I can finish the rebuild this week and I will only need to borrow my sister's Suburban one more time.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2185 on: August 23, 2022, 01:33:11 am »
Sometimes it's the little things that make you happy. Ever since I bought the NOS (or more correctly, the dealer takeoff) tub for my little truck I've been trying to source a new lock and key for the fuel door. NLA from Mitsubishi, nor any aftermarket items available, so I initially bought some steel cabinet/cash box locks from Amazon that almost worked, and then a lock set for a Ford Mustang.

The Mustang kit had 2 door locks and a trunk lock so I filed/grinded the body of the right side door lock to fit into the hole in the door, then made a new "Arm" for the lock, and in between showers test fit it several times to make it fit. Only a little job, but I'm happy that it's done. Now if I can just get that 25 year old sello tape off it, I'll be happy. ;D

Triton Tuesday 23 Aug 2022 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2186 on: August 23, 2022, 01:40:53 am »
Try denatured alcohol for the residue and a heat gun to get the sello tape (cello tape) off. If the denatured alcolohol doesn’t loosen the  tape residue acetone should cut it…
Better to take the gentle method first, soak a rag in the denatured alcohol and apply that on the residue fir a bit.
That’s how I would tackle the tape issue…
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2187 on: August 23, 2022, 01:49:39 am »
Try denatured alcohol for the residue and a heat gun to get the sello tape (cello tape) off. If the denatured alcolohol doesn’t loosen the  tape residue acetone should cut it…
Better to take the gentle method first, soak a rag in the denatured alcohol and apply that on the residue fir a bit.
That’s how I would tackle the tape issue…

What the fcuk is "Cello" tape David? Is it for fixing Cello's? ;D

Sellotape by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Anyhoo, no way will I be putting Acetone anywhere near my paint, especially after I managed to wipe the 25 year old paint right off my rear number plate with acetone last week, and even denatured alcohol sounds scary. I've got some citrus based "Gum Off" in the garage somewhere, I'll give that a go, with the heat gun. ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2188 on: August 23, 2022, 02:26:40 am »
Cello tape is cellophane tape, sellotape is a brand name that is trademarked and used to refer to clear packing tape, often called Scotch tape here in the USA.
Another brand name of course.

Some cello tape is made from plant based cellulose and is biodegradable, unlike plastic based tapes…

Cooking oil can be used to loosen some adhesive residues.

The clear tape won’t require a ton of heat as 140F can cause it to melt or shrink or even be stretched…

Vinegar even works on some adhesives.

Your cured auto paint should not be adversely affected by a little acetone. It will strip any waxes of course…
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 02:28:31 am by RAFster122s »
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #2189 on: August 23, 2022, 04:17:35 am »
Now if I can just get that 25 year old sello tape off it, I'll be happy. ;D

I always like Goof Off for this kind of thing, plus as an aftershave.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #2190 on: August 23, 2022, 05:41:03 am »
WD-40
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2191 on: August 23, 2022, 05:42:19 am »
Heat gun lightly to get the top layer off and good ole' WD40 for the sticky residue. It takes awhile but works with a little elbow grease and I know you have a lot of it around.
 Ha ha - looks like Why Not and I punched the reply button at about the same time !!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 05:44:29 am by ekpent »

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #2192 on: August 23, 2022, 05:44:30 am »
Got a mini tiller going that I bought for 30 bux.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2193 on: August 23, 2022, 06:42:02 am »
Heat gun lightly to get the top layer off and good ole' WD40 for the sticky residue.

Guess I wasnt the only one offended by the adhesive on Terry's little Mitsu! 
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2194 on: August 23, 2022, 11:58:03 am »
I use non-clorinated brake cleaner to remove sticker residue. It won't hurt the paint.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2195 on: August 23, 2022, 01:24:07 pm »
Thanks guys, looks like the heat gun to lift the offending tape and something mild will remove the gum. I have used WD40 before on paint and it works well, but the citrus stuff works even better, and both of my elbows need a re-grease. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2196 on: August 24, 2022, 06:16:28 am »
Went to a garage sale Saturday morning which is a usual routine for me. This was a big house in a well to do area of historic old houses. The young couple who are "green" and only do battery things bought this huge house a couple/few years ago and the previous owner left them this still brand new Craftsman snowblower he had only used a couple of times. Still has its nubs on the tires. I pulled the starter rope a couple of times but would not fire. Bought it anyways. Gas tank had some weird white kind of granular crap in the bottom which did not do the tiny inline filter in the gas tank outlet nipple any favors. So removed the tank and cleaned well. Stripped the nice carb down and cleaned the screw in main jet and emulsion tube and the clogged air jet. After a little bit of maintenance she is purring like a little kitten.
  My old blower was getting a little old and tired so can take that to my shop so no more having to haul one back and forth. Let it snow, let it snow !  ;D

Nice find! I have an ancient stand by generator (actually built in the USA!) that I picked up in the same condition. It now works perfectly, for less than $100. Well done.....

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2197 on: August 24, 2022, 05:31:27 pm »
  The old battery in my 40 chevy was acting dead, it is a 14-year-old used optima out of the dragster, so I charged it. Then the starter was balky, so I rebuilt it. Still had the battery problem so I replaced it. Today, the new battery was dead, last night as I was turning the shop lights off, I noticed that the interior of the car was glowing, one of the map lights was on. My 5-year-old gearhead grandson was the last one besides me in it. lol.   
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #2198 on: August 24, 2022, 07:27:20 pm »
I pumped gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2199 on: August 24, 2022, 08:00:32 pm »
I need to fill my little daily driver Subaru, but the sneaky fcuking gas companies have raised the price of fuel by around $1 per gallon, the arseholes. ;D