Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 171174 times)

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2250 on: October 05, 2022, 05:06:07 pm »
Fixed my little hotrod truck. I thought it had a collapsed lifter but it turned out to be the coil mounting bracket was loose. It is mounted on the right cylinder head, I've heard plenty of bad lifters and it sounded exactly the same. At least I didn't have to pull the intake manifold off. I've had it out for a few thrash runs and all is well. An 85' is a hoot to drive making 240hp. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2251 on: October 05, 2022, 05:25:35 pm »
Fixed my little hotrod truck. I thought it had a collapsed lifter but it turned out to be the coil mounting bracket was loose. It is mounted on the right cylinder head, I've heard plenty of bad lifters and it sounded exactly the same. At least I didn't have to pull the intake manifold off. I've had it out for a few thrash runs and all is well. An 85' is a hoot to drive making 240hp. 8)

That's a nice truck mate, eventually I'm going to buy an Ebay turbo kit for my little Mitsubishi truck, that'll take it up from 147 BHP to around 250 at only 8psi, which shouldn't be a problem with the shiny new cylinder head and cam I installed a few months ago. It's light enough in the rear end to be scary now on wet roads, it'll be interesting to see what it'll be like with a big power increase. ;D

Triton Friday 2 Sep 2022 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Online RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2252 on: October 05, 2022, 05:53:07 pm »
John, glad you guys and associated team running the rental had good time and showing...
Always fun to have track time and even better it was in such nice conditions.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2253 on: October 05, 2022, 07:23:10 pm »

That's a nice truck mate, eventually I'm going to buy an Ebay turbo kit for my little Mitsubishi truck, that'll take it up from 147 BHP to around 250 at only 8psi, which shouldn't be a problem with the shiny new cylinder head and cam I installed a few months ago. It's light enough in the rear end to be scary now on wet roads, it'll be interesting to see what it'll be like with a big power increase. ;D

My canopy is made of steel and it adds enough weight to the rear axle to balance the trucks weight.

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2254 on: October 07, 2022, 06:46:02 pm »
I killed it! Been busy harvesting soy beans with the neighbours  this week. Bumping my trusty 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee across the fields ended with a bang. The left side trailing arm pulled away from the underbody and we started weaving around like a drunken sailor. There’s really no structure left to even attempt a repair, so time to say goodbye. Sad day, I’ve had this one for +15 years and really liked it a lot. 4.0 litre straight six, auto, with the last year of the real “select trac” transmission. Coming to a full stop, it had the option of “four wheel drive, lock”. This locked both front and rear diff, so almost impossible to turn, but it would go anywhere. Punched through deep snow like it wasn’t there. Towed my race trailer for thousands of miles with no complaints.....

I threw it on KIJIJ for a few hours, for parts only. Sold within minutes! Obviously a favourite drive line for the local off roaders.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2255 on: October 07, 2022, 06:48:50 pm »

Kelly.... that is one good looking truck!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2256 on: October 07, 2022, 06:55:38 pm »

Terry...... in the early’70’s I worked Summers at a “new” Datsun dealership. When the first 510 sedans arrived we got a tiny pickup to test, that I drove as the shop truck. It used to scare the crap out of other motorists as it would lock the rear drums solid at anything but the gentlest stop. I could arrive at almost any intersection with rear tires screaming. In the wet it was almost impossible to stop! Huge fun when you are 16 and your parents won’t even consider lending you their car!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2257 on: October 08, 2022, 01:07:40 am »
Ha Ha,sounds like the shoes were installed wrong way round?

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2258 on: October 08, 2022, 06:50:08 am »

No..... it was so light in the back end and too much rear brake.....

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #2259 on: October 08, 2022, 10:41:07 am »

No..... it was so light in the back end and too much rear brake.....

My ‘81 Toyota 4x4 pickup has a proportioning valve in the back that varies rear brake pressure depending on the load. I can’t say how effective it is but people say it is noticeable if it is bypassed.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2260 on: October 08, 2022, 11:04:45 am »
The old JEEP headed out for it’s “last ride”. Sad sight.... local “scrapper” gave me $400!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2261 on: October 08, 2022, 04:32:13 pm »
 In the off season I leave our golf cart at my daughter's house, they have a shed 50 yards or so from the house and they make good use of it.
  Last year when I went to get it, it wasn't starting. They thought they did something wrong and were worried, but the battery was only the second one since we got it in 1999. I put in a new battery and it was good to go.
 This year it was sluggish and a real pain to tow the dragster with, other racers were impatient to drive their hot cars back to the pits.  I blamed the cheap carburetor I put on it when the shaft bushings wore out on the stocker. Someone suggested a new fuel pump, so I bought one and put it on today.
   It was then I noticed the rev limiter wire being plugged in, unplugging it was the first thing we did when we got it. While troubleshooting the bad battery, my son in law apparently plugged the loose wires back in. L0L!
  Anyway, it doesn't run like new but way better than it did. I was even going to do the 2 cylinder predator swap that would run about $2K. I didn't buy it because it requires a lift kit and it wouldn't fit in my trailer lifted.
  I wonder if he hooked the governor back up too? L0L!  I've been looking for the 22mm mikuni kit, I know they did exist but haven't found one to buy.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 04:40:05 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2262 on: October 08, 2022, 06:22:39 pm »

Terry...... in the early’70’s I worked Summers at a “new” Datsun dealership. When the first 510 sedans arrived we got a tiny pickup to test, that I drove as the shop truck. It used to scare the crap out of other motorists as it would lock the rear drums solid at anything but the gentlest stop. I could arrive at almost any intersection with rear tires screaming. In the wet it was almost impossible to stop! Huge fun when you are 16 and your parents won’t even consider lending you their car!

Thanks John, my cousin bought a new Datsun/Nissan ute (pickup) when he owned a Suzuki dealership and used it for deliveries, it was a great little truck, but I saw him do a "180" when he cranked the brakes on in a wet corner, luckily he's a much better driver than me, and was able to save it with no damage.

Kelly, I'll eventually lower my little truck and airbag it in the back to make it easier to load motorcycles, I'm just giving my credit card a chance to cool down after my recent 1973 Kawasaki Z1 engine purchases. I love my little truck, I organised a "road trip" tomorrow collecting some RBS-70 (missile launcher) equipment and driving it to an Army unit in the country. Sure beats spending the day in the office! ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 06:25:42 pm by Terry in Australia »
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2263 on: October 08, 2022, 06:33:49 pm »

Thanks John, my cousin bought a new Datsun/Nissan ute (pickup) when he owned a Suzuki dealership and used it for deliveries, it was a great little truck, but I saw him do a "180" when he cranked the brakes on in a wet corner, luckily he's a much better driver than me, and was able to save it with no damage.

Kelly, I'll eventually lower my little truck and airbag it in the back to make it easier to load motorcycles, I'm just giving my credit card a chance to cool down after my recent 1973 Kawasaki Z1 engine purchases. I love my little truck, I organised a "road trip" tomorrow collecting some RBS-70 (missile launcher) equipment and driving it to an Army unit in the country. Sure beats spending the day in the office! ;D

Sounds better than sandblasting a 1969 CB 750K0 frame in the hot sun for one of Paul's friends, he did pay me $200 for it. 8)

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2264 on: October 08, 2022, 07:57:02 pm »
Nice sandblast job Kelly. We had an overcast day with some scattered showers. Don't think we got any rain at my place but it did rain nearby. Only reached 83f today and was 63f this morning. Our monsoon season ended a couple weeks ago and we oddly enough have been getting some tstorms and rain showers since then...
While it was hot this year it was nothing like the past two years of record breaking high temps.

It would be nice to suspend some tarps to give you some shade to work in when sandblasting, having to cover up when blasting makes working in the sun and even hotter and "stickier" job than usual...

Hopefully you stayed hydrated and the humidity today wasn't too awful.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2265 on: October 08, 2022, 08:36:11 pm »
i moved the positive battery cable on my car and happened to notice the solenoid wobble?man it had lost one bolt and the other two loose,took it off and cleaned it externally,it has special mini spline head bolts so i just used an allen cap head with a little loctite on em all,i fitted this starter new in 2009.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 08:41:43 pm by dave500 »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2266 on: October 08, 2022, 09:21:01 pm »
i moved the positive battery cable on my car and happened to notice the solenoid wobble?man it had lost one bolt and the other two loose,took it off and cleaned it externally,it has special mini spline head bolts so i just used an allen cap head with a little loctite on em all,i fitted this starter new in 2009.

Dave,good fix on that solenoid mount.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2267 on: October 08, 2022, 09:24:46 pm »
fluke i spotted it Bill,been like that for ages i guess?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2268 on: October 09, 2022, 02:02:22 am »

Sounds better than sandblasting a 1969 CB 750K0 frame in the hot sun for one of Paul's friends, he did pay me $200 for it. 8)

Good job mate, I've got a big pressure-tank style sandblaster here but long discovered that I hate sandblasting so get my frames done locally. ;D

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2269 on: October 09, 2022, 05:15:51 am »
I replaced a bad starter solenoid and put a new battery in the 61 GMC
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2270 on: October 09, 2022, 05:52:09 am »

Always better to be lucky than smart!

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2271 on: October 09, 2022, 08:48:04 am »

Always better to be lucky than smart!

Lucky it has not damaged the ring gear requiring a new ring gear…
Truely a pita job for such an item…

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2272 on: October 09, 2022, 11:54:35 pm »
yeah the starter itself was still properly bolted to the block RAFster and the drive assembly wouldve been tracking true,just the solenoid was loose,shouldve regreased the reduction gear while i had it off?

Online RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2273 on: October 10, 2022, 12:49:35 am »
Yeah, you did just say the solenoid was loose, not the entire starter…
Sorry I just jumped to a false conclusion…

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2274 on: October 10, 2022, 02:02:21 am »
'Twas a great day today, sunny and (almost) warm. Normally I get up at 0500 on Monday, but I'd conned my client into allowing me to collect some military equipment from one of our suppliers and take it to a base 80 miles away, so I didn't need to get up until 0700. I filled up my little truck and was happy to see that it's getting 30 MPG (imperial gallons = 4.54 litres) and running well. I was driving home when I remembered that a new MCA (Motor Cycle Accessory) warehouse has just opened on my way home, so I stopped by. 

Triton Monday 10 October 2022 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I bought some new gloves, a trick stubby ratcheting screwdriver set (for removing float bowls offa carbs without removing the carbs) some crimp  on connectors and a litre of motorcycle crud remover. When I got home I decided to give my little Subaru daily driver a good wash because I haven't washed it since before winter, so it was covered in crap (literally, I park it under a tree) and a good layer of road grime from driving 150-200 miles a week for the last 4 months or so in horrible wet weather.

The instructions said to spray it on, let it dry on the surface (not on hot panels, or in the sun) and just hose off, but I never believe that crap, I wanted to remove at least 90% of the crud, so used a bucket of soapy water (Turtle Wax) and a rag to scrub each panel and then I used lots of buckets of water to wash it off. I can't remember the brand of the crud remover but I'll probably buy it again, although CT18 Truck wash is cheaper and probably as good. Anyway, the little car I paid $500 for 7 years ago is still running like a new one, and looks half decent too. ;D

Subaru Tuesday 11 October 2022 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 12:23:36 am by Terry in Australia »