Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 169483 times)

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2850 on: August 22, 2023, 08:19:32 am »
Raised white letters always reminds of cars jacked up in the back with air shocks to fit tires too wide driven by dudes with mullets 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2851 on: August 22, 2023, 03:07:40 pm »
yeah Bill plus they look gay,not that theres anything wrong with that!
lol!  I am with you Dave
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2852 on: August 22, 2023, 11:00:57 pm »
Ha Ha yeah they do have that period correct look,i never liked the look even in the day,ive never had a mullet either,not that theres anything wrong with them?

Online scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #2853 on: August 22, 2023, 11:11:34 pm »
What's wrong with a mullet'
 Oops, I might not like the answer.
Been making ugly men and ladies attractive since the CB750 Honda came out,
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2854 on: August 23, 2023, 06:24:17 am »
Careful, something might hit too close to home
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2855 on: August 25, 2023, 03:29:35 am »
What do you do when you find a used Subaru that seems to be in perfect mechanical condition? You get bored, so you buy a "Normal" Subaru with a suspect head gasket, to give you yet another project to play with.

Soccer Bat Mobile 23 Aug 2023 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

In honor of Steve's slur, I named it the "Soccer Bat Mobile" but Spotty said it looks like a miniature Hearse, so I'm just gonna call it Blacky. Typical Subaru story, a young guy in the very expensive leafy suburbs is given a one owner Subaru Outback "Luxury" model by a family friend as his first car. It has all of the luxury fittings, leather seats, better stereo than the grey one I bought two weeks ago, and a sunroof. I've never owned a car with a sunroof, and this one actually works and doesn't leak water. The car was regularly serviced, and he'd just bought new tyres and had the brakes done (it's done a couple of thousand miles less than my grey one) when it started to overheat.

He took it to a mechanic who replaced the water pump, with no improvement, then realised it was a head gasket. No water in the oil or oil in the water, but bubbling in the overflow tank when the engine is running. He is in the music industry and is going to London where he can work without any government red tape, so decided to sell the car. He advertised it on FB for $2500 so I offered him $2000 but explained that I couldn't come over for a couple of days (hospital) so he said he'd hold it for me, and didn't want a deposit. I drove my grey Subaru over to his place and we hopped in the black car and I drove it around for 30 minutes or so and the temp gauge didn't go past the halfway mark, it wasn't blowing steam out the exhaust, the oil was nice and clean (he'd had it serviced when the mechanic did the water pump) and there was no oil in the coolant, but it was blowing bubbles.

I've had very good results with K Seal on my B4 turbo, so brought a bottle with me, and after I'd paid him, he helped me remove the top rad hose and I poured the bottle of K Seal straight into the engine. He told me that his mechanic had tried another brand of sealant, that I've never had any luck with, and I'm pretty sure his mechanic used it on purpose to show the young fella that it wouldn't work, and instead Lockie (the kid) should pay him another $3K to replace the head gasket. I drove it home in peak hour Melbourne traffic, took well over an hour with plenty of "Bumper to bumper" action, but it didn't boil, but the gauge did go up to the 3/4 mark a few times, until the thermo fans came on and cooled it down again, where the needle would sit just below the halfway mark.

On Sunday I want to flush the cooling system to get rid of whatever the mechanic put in it, and I'll add another bottle of K Seal when I refill it with fresh coolant. If that doesn't fix it, I'll do the head gasket myself, just to give myself something to swear about. I'm giving the grey car to my sister, as the old 1994 Subaru that I gave her in 2015 is only running on 3 cylinders, even though she's been paying the local mechanic to keep it running, and they're telling her it's fine. She's an SES (State Emergency Services) volunteer, so she's going to give it to the SES depot to cut up when practising rescue work with the "Jaws of Life". I hope she takes a vid and sends it to me. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2856 on: August 25, 2023, 05:42:07 am »
Terry….. That is one good and useful looking car! Can you post a photo of “K Seal”? I wonder if it’s available here? We used to buy a U.S. product called Ceramic Seal that really worked on small head gasket problems and porous alloy castings (water heated Alfa Romeo intake manifolds were notorious for “water injection”!). It disappeared a while back and I’ve never found a reliable substitute.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2858 on: August 25, 2023, 06:43:02 am »
Took the "Mellow Yellow" '69 GTO for a drive, first time in over 5 years since the PO parked it and let it rot.

It's been at my buddies shop and once the motor was pulled, we did find evidence that it had been rebuilt, so it did not require refreshening.
The carb was rebuilt, installed new starter, water pump, alternator, gaskets and belts, complete brake job and it is now roadworthy. 

It will be going to the body shop next week.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2859 on: August 25, 2023, 10:08:28 am »
Nice GTO convertible Stev-o.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2860 on: August 25, 2023, 02:16:35 pm »
i want one.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2861 on: August 25, 2023, 04:10:00 pm »
Terry….. That is one good and useful looking car! Can you post a photo of “K Seal”? I wonder if it’s available here? We used to buy a U.S. product called Ceramic Seal that really worked on small head gasket problems and porous alloy castings (water heated Alfa Romeo intake manifolds were notorious for “water injection”!). It disappeared a while back and I’ve never found a reliable substitute.

Thanks John, K Seal is an American product and is rated one of the best liquid head gasket repair products out there. I first saw it on Youtube when my twin turbo B4 Liberty (Legacy in the USA) would boil after driving it for 10 minutes. It’s been in the cooling system for about a year now, with no problems since. Not cheap at around $50 USD per bottle but worth every cent if it fixes the issue. “Chrisfix” on Youtube did a 2 year test of it on his father’s car, and after 2 years it was still working fine. K Seal also offer a money back guarantee if it doesn’t work (but I haven’t read the fine print….)

Yep, “Blackie” will be a really useful daily driver, all the mod cons, and enough paint defects and scratches that I won’t be paranoid about parking in the city, and for $2K (with an “agreed value” of $7K if it gets totaled) a perfect addition to my collection of unreliable sh1tboxes. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2862 on: August 25, 2023, 11:11:33 pm »
  I tested the trailer brakes on my enclosed trailer. They locked up last week coming home from a car show. I'm still not sure what happened but the breakaway kit it toast so that may have been it.  I ordered a complete Hopkins breakaway kit with a self-charger and test switch.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 11:29:53 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2863 on: August 27, 2023, 07:10:07 pm »
 Today I decided the 40 chevy coupe needs a Sanden 508 AC compressor to go along with my in dash unit. I swapped mounts a few years ago and never got a new compressor to go back in. My mount is NOS, new/obsolete/stock but so is the 350 engine it's going on. 
 We'll need to take care flushing and maybe swapping hoses since the old unit is for R12 and the new one won't be.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 07:12:33 pm by Don R »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2864 on: August 28, 2023, 12:36:02 am »
Today I decided the 40 chevy coupe needs a Sanden 508 AC compressor to go along with my in dash unit. I swapped mounts a few years ago and never got a new compressor to go back in. My mount is NOS, new/obsolete/stock but so is the 350 engine it's going on. 
 We'll need to take care flushing and maybe swapping hoses since the old unit is for R12 and the new one won't be.

Good old R12, my boss at the gas station I worked had bought up as many tanks of it as he could (filled the compressor room with them) and was still regassing old bombs a couple of years after it was outlawed..... ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2865 on: August 28, 2023, 06:32:48 pm »
UPS deliveries from the US to Canada. Today I ordered some parts from the US and was dismayed to see UPS is their courier. Those jerks add all kinds of brokerage and transaction fees to any order crossing the border. If the vendor just used US Post I would probably save 40-50%. Bunch of “brown” turds.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2866 on: August 28, 2023, 11:14:50 pm »
Similar problems here John, the little prick who delivers my parcels via Aussie Post attempted to deliver 3 parcels last Tuesday but I was in hospital and nobody was home so he dropped them off at the post office but was too lazy to fill out the slip to tell me. Three separate trips to the post office over the last week and they found them for me. Coincidentally the lady in front of me at the post office had the same problem. Only a few hundred bucks worth of bike and car parts that I needed right away. Next time I see him, I’ll feed him through my mailbox….. ;D

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #2867 on: August 29, 2023, 04:43:58 am »
UPS deliveries from the US to Canada. Today I ordered some parts from the US and was dismayed to see UPS is their courier. Those jerks add all kinds of brokerage and transaction fees to any order crossing the border. If the vendor just used US Post I would probably save 40-50%. Bunch of “brown” turds.

I refuse to buy from any US supplier, that only ship UPS to Canada anymore, just for that reason.  I've also have a US delivery box in Ogdensburg which helps reduce 'brokerage' fees.  USPS has been my go to, can take a bit longer, but generally saves money every time.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2868 on: August 30, 2023, 01:33:38 pm »

I refuse to buy from any US supplier, that only ship UPS to Canada anymore, just for that reason.  I've also have a US delivery box in Ogdensburg which helps reduce 'brokerage' fees.  USPS has been my go to, can take a bit longer, but generally saves money every time.

Total agreement. Excellent service via USPS. 90% of the time Canada Post completes the delivery with no extra charges. Occasionally they ask for a few bucks and I just pay it. When I ran the Distribution side of Home Depot Canada, we gave UPS $0.99 to clear a shipment. They charge “Joe Public” the most ridiculous rates I’ve ever seen.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2869 on: September 01, 2023, 01:05:20 am »
the tee bar has always been a bit sloppy when in any selection fore n aft in my car,not a drama but thought its bound to be getting old as its a 1973 car!so simple,the one piece rubber bushing downstairs on the transmission was a bit #$%*ed up,it did well to survive 50 years?,i found em online for 20 bucks,but thought id just punch out a three piece one from sheet rubber,hopefully it lasts another fifty years?

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2870 on: September 01, 2023, 01:19:44 am »
the tee bar has always been a bit sloppy when in any selection fore n aft in my car,not a drama but thought its bound to be getting old as its a 1973 car!so simple,the one piece rubber bushing downstairs on the transmission was a bit #$%*ed up,it did well to survive 50 years?,i found em online for 20 bucks,but thought id just punch out a three piece one from sheet rubber,hopefully it lasts another fifty years?
You glue your 3 piece one together?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2871 on: September 01, 2023, 01:46:00 am »
no,the bolt that locks the rod thru it all holds it square,it also has a steel thin wall bush through the guts,itll hold,im not paying #$%*en 20 bucks for a #$%*ty small rubber circle!

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2872 on: September 01, 2023, 02:05:43 am »
Looks like a large rubber grommet... Don't blame you on the least...$20 is way too much.
Volvo 240 used a delrin plastic bushing for shifter linkage. And similar ones on carbs for 66 122S I had... They used ball & socket joints for the carb linkage.
The SU HS6 carbs developed eccentric wear in carb bodies of 122S and fellow in Massachusetts bored carb bodies and replaced shafts ,(brass) and fit delrin bushes for carb bodies for air tight seal. Carbs worked great then...they had oiled felt seals on the carb shafts.
The butterfly for throttle plate linkage was what the brass shafts function through carb bodies on HS series carbs. The vacuum of intake air below piston that had carb needle attached. Was an interesting design but the damper oil was constantly getting sucked out of the piston dampner arrangement, requiring regular refilling for proper carb operation. A weekly affair...

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2873 on: September 01, 2023, 02:54:02 am »
factory these cars had a few simple bent rod into a hole throttle assembly action connections,i guess like any GM car?years ago i made new rods with rose joints on them all,so much smoother,no rattle.

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2874 on: September 09, 2023, 12:33:14 pm »
 Back in the 80's when I got my 40 Chevy running I made a plug holder and wired 3, 4 pin round trailer plugs so I could remove the front clip to access the engine compartment. Over the years the connections corroded and the plugs overheated. I was able to find two of them on ebay and got them a while back.
 Today I replaced the engine compartment side, and everything is working once more. I did have trouble getting a ground on the entire front clip until I grounded the black wire on the harness. I'm thinking the front clip needs a better chassis ground, everything getting ground through one 12 ga. wire may be a reason for it overheating.
 I ordered a new Sanden AC compressor and a new filter drier with high/low pressure switches on it. I've had the engine bracket for ages. since I swapped the water pump and alternator mount I took off the old Hitachi compressor and sold it.  We'll need to switch a few o rings for the modern Freon.  Allegedly there's a can of R12 somewhere that an airplane mechanic wants. That should pay for the parts and labor.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 12:38:23 pm by Don R »