Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 168674 times)

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #3475 on: June 03, 2024, 02:56:41 pm »
Saw this on a pickup truck (right front) parked next to me at work today as I was getting ready to leave. It only has 2 lug nuts holding it on and they don't look happy. It's someone from 2nd shift so I don't know who's it it but I had my supervisor come out to take a look at it so he can track down the owner to make sure the owner is aware of it.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3476 on: June 03, 2024, 04:59:16 pm »
The only bad thing I have heard about the Rotella T5 and T6 is that motorcycle gear boxes chop up the long chain synthetic molecules and they start shifting clunky after a while. The T4 dino oil works great.
I've used Rotella T4 15/40 in my tractor for a couple of decades.

Kelly….. That’s what I used for the past 25 years. Bought the T5 by mistake (it was really on sale or I would have noticed). The old tractor really seems to like it! I had to turn the idle stopper down, it picked up about 200 rpm when hot. The o/p gauge was also a bit higher than I’ve ever seen it, and stayed there even after a full hour of dragging a six foot finishing mower around.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3477 on: June 03, 2024, 06:07:31 pm »
The only bad thing I have heard about the Rotella T5 and T6 is that motorcycle gear boxes chop up the long chain synthetic molecules and they start shifting clunky after a while. The T4 dino oil works great.

Kelly….. That’s what I used for the past 25 years. Bought the T5 by mistake (it was really on sale or I would have noticed). The old tractor really seems to like it! I had to turn the idle stopper down, it picked up about 200 rpm when hot. The o/p gauge was also a bit higher than I’ve ever seen it, and stayed there even after a full hour of dragging a six foot finishing mower around.

Well if it works great keep using it. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3478 on: June 03, 2024, 06:11:21 pm »

Well if it works great keep using it. 8)

I dunno…. I’m pretty cheap.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #3479 on: June 03, 2024, 06:34:02 pm »
I dropped my “new” truck off for some repairs to get it through the Roadworthy Inspection, all the usual stuff is fine, but as it runs on LPG, it needs a new gas converter, plus lower control arms, an exhaust repair and some other stuff. Another couple of grand, so I’m lucky I sold my old truck and have the dough to pay for it. Like most older vehicles it was cheap to buy, but needed a few things to make it “like new” mechanically. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3480 on: June 03, 2024, 09:26:18 pm »
Saw this on a pickup truck (right front) parked next to me at work today as I was getting ready to leave. It only has 2 lug nuts holding it on and they don't look happy. It's someone from 2nd shift so I don't know who's it it but I had my supervisor come out to take a look at it so he can track down the owner to make sure the owner is aware of it.
Wow!!? :o. It's been running like that for a while, with the three studs pounding out the holes in the wheel.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3481 on: June 04, 2024, 05:36:17 am »
I dropped my “new” truck off for some repairs to get it through the Roadworthy Inspection, all the usual stuff is fine, but as it runs on LPG, it needs a new gas converter, plus lower control arms, an exhaust repair and some other stuff. Another couple of grand, so I’m lucky I sold my old truck and have the dough to pay for it. Like most older vehicles it was cheap to buy, but needed a few things to make it “like new” mechanically. ;D

Terry….. That truck looks worth the effort.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3482 on: June 04, 2024, 08:43:06 am »
Wow!!? :o. It's been running like that for a while, with the three studs pounding out the holes in the wheel.

The truck's a candidate for a New owner;if this person keeps it,it's headed to the scrap-heap.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3483 on: June 04, 2024, 10:42:01 am »
The MF135 got its oil changed a few days ago, so did my old Volvo C30 today. It has to be one of the few cars that still uses a cartridge style oil filter! It also has a full undertray that has to be removed. Good for another year.

My “helper” provided the usual amount of assistance. Looking around, I still have to do the lawn tractor! Too many vehicles.

Spoke to “Lash” earlier. He really got banged up a few days ago……
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 10:45:03 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #3484 on: June 04, 2024, 03:43:04 pm »

The truck's a candidate for a New owner;if this person keeps it,it's headed to the scrap-heap.

From what I was told today, the owner was oblivious he had a problem and didn't attempt to drive it home last night because it was still in the parking lot this morn so I guess I did my good deed for the day by alerting him. It's the passenger side front so it would've been a handful if it came off at any speed. It does look like he made an attempt to remedy the issue but he's now got 4 broken studs. I think the rim is junk so I'm curious if the owner tries to use the rim again once he gets new studs and lug nuts.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3485 on: June 04, 2024, 10:41:50 pm »

Terry….. That truck looks worth the effort.

Thanks John, I really like it, the Mitsubishi was great for hauling bikes but had very few creature comforts so the Ford is a much better fit for me. By the time the repairs are complete it’ll only owe me around 3 times what I paid for it, but finding one this good is pretty much impossible now, and hopefully it’ll be the last ute I have to buy. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3486 on: June 04, 2024, 10:47:10 pm »

From what I was told today, the owner was oblivious he had a problem and didn't attempt to drive it home last night because it was still in the parking lot this morn so I guess I did my good deed for the day by alerting him. It's the passenger side front so it would've been a handful if it came off at any speed. It does look like he made an attempt to remedy the issue but he's now got 4 broken studs. I think the rim is junk so I'm curious if the owner tries to use the rim again once he gets new studs and lug nuts.

You did a good thing mate, that truck was just an accident waiting to happen, and we’ve all seen the results of a wheel coming off at any speed, imagine if it hit a guy on a bike! You may well have saved a life. ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3487 on: June 05, 2024, 07:08:05 am »

Accident, bar fight or....?!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3488 on: June 05, 2024, 10:01:07 am »

Accident, driver did U turn in front of him, cracked couple ribs and broke one and beat up pretty good, one road rash strawberry on a leg but gear saved him from worse injuries.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3489 on: June 05, 2024, 10:23:50 am »

Accident, driver did U turn in front of him, cracked couple ribs and broke one and beat up pretty good, one road rash strawberry on a leg but gear saved him from worse injuries.

Ribs.. that's got to hurt.  :o

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3490 on: June 05, 2024, 05:19:26 pm »

Called hime yesterday. He’s hurting for a while!

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3491 on: June 05, 2024, 08:07:24 pm »
I got it backwards, broke two ribs, cracked one...
Yeah cracked or broken ribs are definitely no fun...
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3492 on: June 06, 2024, 12:33:47 am »
Yep, I’ve broken all my ribs at least twice, and torn them away from the cartilage that connects your ribs to your breast bone. It hurt, but you should have seen the other guy…. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3493 on: June 06, 2024, 01:51:17 am »
Yep, I’ve broken all my ribs at least twice, and torn them away from the cartilage that connects your ribs to your breast bone. It hurt, but you should have seen the other guy…. ;D

A crash ?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3494 on: June 06, 2024, 04:17:33 am »
No, “full contact” physical training when I was in SF. Plus a few bike crashes, worked as a pub “Bouncer” for a few years part time, and some bad parachute landings Bill. Ribs are easy to break, and as long as you don’t breathe or laugh, don’t hurt that much….. ;D

Online 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #3495 on: June 06, 2024, 06:44:10 am »
Took the boat out on Memorial weekend, ran great!   Boats, Bikes, Beer and BBQ to celebrate the Holiday, not necessarily in that order!  Saluting the sunset...

Nice!

My blue sky dream is to do the great loop:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Loop

So far I don't even have a boat.   ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3496 on: June 06, 2024, 06:45:20 am »

Called hime yesterday. He’s hurting for a while!

Sorry to hear that.   Hope we back at it soon....
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3497 on: June 06, 2024, 10:47:54 am »

I've broken all of my ribs at least twice and separated a bunch as well. I broke most of them in Judo and wrestling, it's easy when everyone else is 40lbs or more heavier than you. One time a rib punctured my left lung and then I caught a bad cold, that was real fun. Now I can pop a rib if I pull a wrench the wrong way or too hard.  8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #3498 on: June 06, 2024, 11:20:03 am »
 I had bad bronchitis once and was lifting a 4" pipe when I coughed, a rib popped out in my back. Then every time I had to cough, I rolled a towel and leaned back against a door jamb. My chiropractor put it back at 7pm.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3499 on: June 06, 2024, 06:20:31 pm »

I've broken all of my ribs at least twice and separated a bunch as well. I broke most of them in Judo and wrestling, it's easy when everyone else is 40lbs or more heavier than you. One time a rib punctured my left lung and then I caught a bad cold, that was real fun. Now I can pop a rib if I pull a wrench the wrong way or too hard.  8)

Yep same here mate, although I haven’t punctured a lung, that I can remember. I have one rib on my right side that pops out quite regularly and hurts like hell for a couple of weeks until it pops back in, last time was April when I was dragging my bike trailer sideways across the road, it gave me hell for a couple of weeks, especially when trying to sleep, or riding/driving over bumps in the road. ;D