Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 139172 times)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #500 on: March 31, 2019, 09:05:12 am »
 You use a flapper disc on your lathe ?
I think they make tools that can turn the thread off..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline CaseyH

• SOHC/4 Owners Club Forums
« Reply #501 on: March 31, 2019, 10:51:12 am »
Love spring
First bath

That is sweet mate, is it a 240 or 260Z? I always wanted one, I should have bought one when they were cheap, back in the day. To find one now that isn't rusted in half is impossible, or ridiculously expensive. ;D
1972 240Z
It is a sweet ride
A lot of time effort

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #502 on: April 01, 2019, 02:53:01 pm »
they tried to upsell me the bf goodridge ta radial which are way more exyy and were a #$%* tyre in the day...

Hey Dave....not sure about back in the day, but BF Goodrich Radial T/A is a fine tire, I have them on my Corvette.   Very popular on the vintage muscle cars over here....

I could never put Korean tires on an American car!

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #503 on: April 01, 2019, 03:39:43 pm »
You use a flapper disc on your lathe ?
I think they make tools that can turn the thread off..

Thanks Frank, they probably do, but being a Sunday there weren't too many engineering supply stores open, and my "Macgyver" solution worked fine. I was particularly proud of my exhaust pipe mods, tonight after work I'm gonna install some nice Chinese mufflers that will give it that sweet vtwin rumble....... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=f5jg0bb9np67eeb1dhmprkr987&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #504 on: April 02, 2019, 02:01:59 am »
painted the car"s underside...so ready for mounting some hardvare...fueltank and stuff is ready..just vaiting for some gaskets and rubber bushings from germany..on the vay from e bay.de
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 02:05:17 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #505 on: April 02, 2019, 12:47:29 pm »
Wow, thats the best paint job that car ever had Lars! The good thing is that if you ever roll it, it'll look just as shiny upside down as it does right side up! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #506 on: April 02, 2019, 02:22:47 pm »
Saw the NOTES on BF Goodrich Tires. Here’s a picture from the Honda/ BF Goodrich Challenge Series. I drove for the Number 7 Honda Team (we had two identical cars). My best friend, Terry D., drove the other one. The first two years we all raced on BFG GT200 Tires and then went to the TA. We shaved 90% of the tread off and pretty much ran them as “slicks”. We had a treaded set for rain tires and hand cut huge drainage grooves in them. Often had 40+ car grids! A few years later, it became he Honda/ Michelin Challenge Series...... we ran for a $20,000 Annual Prize Fund. Big money in 1980.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 02:24:34 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #507 on: April 02, 2019, 02:33:00 pm »
My wife reported “the rear wiper slowed down and stopped” on her Hyundia Sante FE 2.0 Turbo.... it sucks everything off the road and sticks it to the rear window, so needed to be fixed. Started with the fuses, all OK. Pulled down the rear hatch liner, disconnected the power clip, good ground and power. Called a few auto parts stores and of course they don’t sell them, “call the dealer”. More than $200 for a motor assembly!

Headed off to the shop and took it apart. Main wiper spindle was solid in the housing, drove it out with a BFHammer. Wrapped some steel wool around a 1/4” drill bit, soaked it in WD40 and honed the bore hole. Polished the shaft and it all came back to life. HOW SATISFYING IS THAT!

I’m so glad I can fix my own stuff. Next time I throw $300 at some motorcycle part I want, I won’t even flinch! Hooray!

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #508 on: April 06, 2019, 07:11:40 pm »
'90 ford 350 dually ,7.3 idi was only spotting a couple weeks ago. Tightened the bolts on the oil cooler in hopes it would slow it down a little.  Didn't. Spotting every few feet, working towards a steady stream. Aint no tampons for this kind of spotting have to change the O rings and mount gaskets on that cooler, then replace the coolant , change the oil and filter. This job is more than a day if you do it neatly, have enough kitty litter to soak up oil that has dripped on everything, and the coolant that didn't find it's way into one of the 3 catch buckets . That stuff has to be cleaned up around here , can't have poisoned animals , kids, or water well.
   This is one of those jobs you would rather do when you be pulling the motor for maybe replacing a rusted oil pan and gasket, and changing out the crank bearings at 200k at the same time. But that wasn't the case so I changed it "in frame" which it may have been easier to just pull the motor, real tight in there, 2 days on a creeper , really need 3 hands , but got it done. Running good and not bleeding out anymore. 
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #509 on: April 06, 2019, 08:00:33 pm »
 I installed the new 4 post battery disconnect to the new main battery, connected the #4 alternator feed and the #4 engine ground cables. Lubed the push off cable a little, still too hard to push/pull. Cleaned the shop so when the NHRA chassis inspector comes tomorrow I won't be embarrassed by the look of the shop. Put the fluids in the engine and trans, bled the air from the cooling system,  torque converter bolts installed and lock tighted, set up #1 at TDC and dropped the distributor in. Checked the throttle body for WOT. Then I went for a ride on my 78 sohc4 that has two heads. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #510 on: April 07, 2019, 03:56:08 am »
Drove it 10 hours to pick up the remains of a crashed RC51. The owner got clobbered by a 'Roo at 60 MPH and survived (albeit with 9 busted ribs) but the bike wasn't so lucky. The plastics were all destroyed, as was the front end, and the frame has some cracks. The engine looks OK, as does the swingarm and rear wheel, so I've got a frame coming from the US, and I guess I'll find some forks and a front wheel so I can at least roll it around while I decide what to do with it. Should be fun! ;D

thumbnail_IMG_3701(2) by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

thumbnail_IMG_3704(1) by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #511 on: April 07, 2019, 03:58:31 pm »
'90 ford 350 dually ,7.3 idi was only spotting a couple weeks ago. Tightened the bolts on the oil cooler in hopes it would slow it down a little.  Didn't. Spotting every few feet, working towards a steady stream. Aint no tampons for this kind of spotting have to change the O rings and mount gaskets on that cooler, then replace the coolant , change the oil and filter. This job is more than a day if you do it neatly, have enough kitty litter to soak up oil that has dripped on everything, and the coolant that didn't find it's way into one of the 3 catch buckets . That stuff has to be cleaned up around here , can't have poisoned animals , kids, or water well.
   This is one of those jobs you would rather do when you be pulling the motor for maybe replacing a rusted oil pan and gasket, and changing out the crank bearings at 200k at the same time. But that wasn't the case so I changed it "in frame" which it may have been easier to just pull the motor, real tight in there, 2 days on a creeper , really need 3 hands , but got it done. Running good and not bleeding out anymore.

I used a ratchet strap to pull the two halves of the cooler together in the frame after I pressed the front piece onto the tube. I was able to do it in an afternoon on my 93' IDI F-250.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1981 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #512 on: April 08, 2019, 12:36:42 pm »
I still have an old aussie 1983 magazine from the era,some brave bastard shoe horned a holden 308 cube v8 into one and got it all inspected roadworthy etc,ya can really soup those 308s up if ya want.

Moog and Marty from the Aussie based YouTube channel Mighty Car Mods recently installed the engine and trans from an R34 Skyline GT-R into Moog's 240 that he imported from Japan.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #513 on: April 08, 2019, 01:00:48 pm »
Yep, Marty and Moog build some great cars, I like their turbo'd beetle. ;D

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #514 on: April 08, 2019, 02:40:37 pm »
Yep, Marty and Moog build some great cars, I like their turbo'd beetle. ;D

Yes, that was the series that put them on the map worldwide.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Online CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #515 on: April 18, 2019, 02:17:20 pm »
I changed the transmission fluid in the Tundra. :)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #516 on: April 19, 2019, 12:44:03 am »
new front struts on wifes 1999 Hyundai she bought new!i did an oil change last week and saw one strut had pissed all its oil out so bought a pair of gas type,seeing I had my hands dirty I thought id free up a frozen rear brake adjuster I noticed ages ago,so I pulled it apart to find it not frozen,ok ill adjust the other side while im at it,#$%* im a dumbarse that was the frozen side!oh well at least its had a good look at.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=f5jg0bb9np67eeb1dhmprkr987&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #517 on: April 19, 2019, 12:19:44 pm »
had the first ride in the Taunus..it ran fine..but vhen thange the cam belt..i sav some metal flake ,,aut of the mittel cam bearing..so back in to the shop...but more fun to make engines then rust..vill thange the vaterpump.cambelt/ tensioner and the generator get a overhall...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 12:25:28 pm by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #518 on: April 19, 2019, 01:57:45 pm »
good job,it looks better than when it left the factory already!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #519 on: April 19, 2019, 11:25:30 pm »
 I took a pic and got some advice on wiring three batteries into my dragster. One big one and two Goldwing size in the nose to replace a steel plate and lead brick for ballast. Now I have ballast that earns it's keep.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #520 on: April 20, 2019, 01:25:55 pm »
Went to the Mecum Classic Car Austin in Houston a couple a weeks back, my good buddy bought a few cars.

Since I am a good friend, I volunteered to give the cars some shake down rides since ya really cant do anything other that a visual inspection at auction.

First up was a 1968 American Motors AMX.  You guys remember these?  I saw one at a vintage car show last year and was fascinated by it.   When this one came up for bid, I urged my buddy to go for it and he got it.

It has a rebuilt 390ci engine with alum heads, four barrel carb and headers, it was a TV car on the show "Misfit Garage". The guys act like idiots on the show but can def build cars!

https://www.autobodynews.com/index.php/companies/item/15484-misfit-garage-68-amc-amx-parts-challenging-to-find.html

Car runs great and is a blast to drive.   Glad I talked him into it!

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #521 on: April 20, 2019, 04:55:10 pm »
damn you get all the fun!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #522 on: April 20, 2019, 05:21:43 pm »
When I got out of the service in 1970 my good buddy had an AMX, very cool car it was.  British racing green with light tan interior...Larry

Online CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #523 on: April 25, 2019, 04:50:05 pm »
A bit late but last weekend I sold my '40 Ford pickup. It went to a good home and will stay stock with the flat head and running gear getting a rebuild.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #524 on: April 25, 2019, 07:08:54 pm »
 Set the toe and centered the wheel. Welded an O2 bung in the #1 header pipe for the data recorder. The efi uses the #2 header pipe bung.