Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 139472 times)

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
    • old japanese parts and bikes
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #600 on: July 20, 2019, 05:49:26 pm »
these gabriels are made in mexico,word is they don't have oil in them its tequila?

Hope it's the good stuff, Dave!

I prefer Mezcal myself.

I can feel my head pounding already!
Laugh at least once a day.
Life  $ucks, then you die.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
God forces us to live with  non-believers to test our resolve.

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #601 on: July 20, 2019, 09:05:06 pm »
Put the POS Jetta ( A.K.A. Hitler) back together and stuck a fork in it!

The ultimate oxymoron.........GERMAN ENGINEERING!🤬
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #602 on: July 22, 2019, 01:15:32 am »
I had the tires on my car rotated and balanced.  Discount Tire showed me a chart and told me I had 5/32 and 6/32" of tread depth remaining but the tires were 6 years old and they could fail from age at any time and should be replaced.  What a scare tactic! While it could happen it is a very low probability and if it did happen it would be the last set of Goodyear tires I would ever buy!  Yes, currently shod with Goodyear Eagle IIs .

David

Yep that's absolute bullsh1t David, the tyres on my 1998 Ford Explorer are probably at least 10 years old, and they have no cracking etc, and over here a set would cost around $500 USD, so I'm in no rush to replace them. Actually, I have a spare set of tyres for it which are like new, but just as old, so no rush on paying some jerk for new rubber. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #603 on: July 29, 2019, 01:15:58 pm »
Had a great weekend at the 3rd and 4th round of the Canadian EnduranceRacing Championship.  Summary of our second race weekend: Qualified 8th OA, for the third series race, at Shannonville. Ran 194 laps in 8 hours, on Saturday. Finished 7 O/A, 7th in Class A.

Sunday we finished the full 9 hours, 217 laps! 9th O/A and 5th in class. With three drivers, we managed to run 90 minute sessions, all weekend. Saturday’s heat was a challenge for everyone.

We used up a lot of old tires (too much time in the pits changing them), another new set, two sets of brake pads, and likely cracked an exhaust or turbo manifold. Despite the heat, car ran like a freight train, sipping a 1/2 litre of oil each race.

More than 415 LAPS and 1,033 kilometres! Lost track of fuel, but I estimate 45+ full size cans.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #604 on: July 29, 2019, 02:34:08 pm »
Congrats on a great finish!
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #605 on: July 29, 2019, 02:51:22 pm »
RAF....... thanks! We had so many laughs too! Great series, great bunch of people.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #606 on: July 29, 2019, 02:53:43 pm »
slopped the rest of the paint on the trailer,those old wheels came up good again,i got em out of the dump!

Love those Torque Thrust style wheels.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #607 on: July 29, 2019, 04:27:36 pm »
wondering why the brake light kept coming on in the clown car, assumed it was probably the hand brake switch not releasing properly until it occured to me that there might be a sensor in the master cylinder, and who'd have known...there is and it was clearly visible where there was no brake fluid...oops

put some of renault's finest Dot 5.1 in to the recommended level and woohoo, the warning light has gone out

wonder where its all going, must look into that soon
i blame Terry

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #608 on: July 29, 2019, 05:50:24 pm »
Spotty, if it wasn't full when new brakes were put on it goes down alot when the pads wear thin.

Be glad it isn't a Mini-Cooper. They have a common brake and clutch reservoir and it is an expensive P.O.S. At least the clutch quits before the brakes do!
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #609 on: July 29, 2019, 07:48:42 pm »
i know the level will drop but not generally to almost empty when the brakes aren't that old

guessing its probably leaking from the rear slave cylinders inside the drums
i blame Terry

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #610 on: August 06, 2019, 10:55:30 pm »
For a while now I've been trying to figure out how to extricate my 1965 turbo Corsa Corvair from the prison of trees pinning it in. These trees are "volunteers" that started as seedlings, which have grown exceedingly rapidly in the last couple of years; I should have nipped them in the bud, so to speak. ;) Anyway, after looking at the pics, I realized the simplest way would be to remove the fence in front of the car, and pull it straight forward. ;D 
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #611 on: August 06, 2019, 11:40:51 pm »
Glad you solved that puzzle! Now to stockpile the beer and burgers for a work party to remove fence and get the car moved and invite friends over to help you achieve that goal.  Will the tires hold air or are they shot? Might need to round up a set of tires/wheels to get it rolling.  Also going to need to pull check that the wheels will rotate  by jacking them up...sometimes the pads or shoes get rusted in place by rust forming around the edges locking them in place.  Are you just planning to free the car or are you looking to restore and resurrect it?
David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #612 on: August 08, 2019, 01:52:53 am »
I got a leaky front main seal in the timing case on my v8 holden,been weeping lightly for years now its leaving a drop on the ground,gotta remove the harmonic balancer for this,ive done em before chocking a breaker bar with wood then cranking the starter with coil disconnected,not this time I made a tool to hold it,square tube slips neatly over flat bar,postion it on the chassis and use a breaker bar,those axle studs are free not welded on.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #613 on: August 09, 2019, 03:29:08 am »
got it done.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:31:51 am by dave500 »

Offline 72 yellow

• Expert
« Reply #614 on: August 09, 2019, 05:32:49 am »
Something simple.  Cleaned the mass air flow sensor on the 04 Blazer.  Just rolled over 250,000 miles.  Amazing it has survived all those Michigan winters.   :)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #615 on: August 09, 2019, 04:43:55 pm »
Enlarged the opening and dump hoses on three of our refuelling  cans. Going Endurance Racing again, in a few weeks (Toyota MR2). Chucked the caps up in my little “Super Seven” lathe and opened up the hole to 1.14”, then made a tap from a 1” npt X 2” nipple. Cut four grooves at 90 degrees to the threads and left them nice and sharp. Drilled through the other end for a small bar and slowly drove it into the soft plastic. Worked great and I didn’t need a $40 tap! It was taking almost 90 seconds to dump 6 gallons with the small hose. This should save us some time!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #616 on: August 09, 2019, 05:00:42 pm »
got it done.

Good job Dave, I've gotta get me an interesting car again, it's been too long. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #617 on: August 09, 2019, 05:12:19 pm »
Vent the can so the existing fuel doesn't create a vacuum  and it will dump even faster.

That's what we did with our quick fill cans for our desert race bikes in the 70's. It took as long to remove and replace the gas cap as it did to dump about 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of fuel. We had some pretty bad jazz pit stops back then. Fuel, drink of water and a goggle clean in about 1 to 2 minutes, usually 1 minute.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #618 on: August 10, 2019, 01:48:47 am »
got it done.

Good job Dave, I've gotta get me an interesting car again, it's been too long. ;D

I just never bought another car Terry!i love the under bonnet room on old cars,specially holdens or most other GM cars,fords were always tighter with the stupid coil over top wish bone suspension on falcons,chucked some wax over it,that supercheap auto buffer is brilliant!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 01:59:49 am by dave500 »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #619 on: August 10, 2019, 05:00:23 am »
Jgger..... I drilled it out larger an inserted 3/8” copper tube that reaches to the bottom. As soon as the can is tipped upside down, vent cap gets removed. Air can go straight to the top corner. The MR2 is very thirsty. We get 80-90 minutes of racing (depending on the circuit) and then need almost three jugs.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #620 on: August 10, 2019, 09:39:20 am »
Dave, so cool that you have had the same daily driver for so long.  What kinda mileage is on the car?
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #621 on: August 10, 2019, 03:14:20 pm »
the odometers gone around twice in my time Sean,only bout 270,000 kilometres its only a hundred thousand kilomoter odometer so bout 170,000 miles?

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #622 on: August 10, 2019, 04:23:34 pm »
thank`s dave...I will drink a cold one  tonight to seeing all those zeros line up many more times
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #623 on: August 10, 2019, 04:45:44 pm »
 I did some more assembly on the dragster. It's been apart 9 months so I'm a little fuzzy on my wiring. I think I allowed the computer to operate the cooling fan or we can do it manually. So that's where the blue wire goes.
 And after 2 weeks of working on a friends dune buggy she remembered to mention it's been overheated so hot that they had to wait to start it. 55 lbs compression on 3 cylinders. The two left cylinders will fire and if you can rev it the other two will catch on at 3K or so.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #624 on: August 14, 2019, 06:58:48 pm »
got it done.

I just never bought another car Terry!i love the under bonnet room on old cars,specially holdens or most other GM cars,fords were always tighter with the stupid coil over top wish bone suspension on falcons,chucked some wax over it,that supercheap auto buffer is brilliant!

Yeah. I wish I'd kept my XR, XY, XA, XB & XC Falcons, or my HG Monaro and GTR Torana's, all great cars, and hard to find a good one fore reasonable money now. I think I'll install my 351 Cleveland engine into my Ford Explorer along with a 5 speed manual box and call it good, it's got a nice thick chassis, so should last another 100 years or so..... ;D