Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 174738 times)

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #975 on: July 28, 2020, 05:29:13 pm »
Had to drop a new battery in my 1990 Silverado today
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #976 on: July 28, 2020, 08:25:17 pm »
It really brought a tear to an old mans eye......... ;D

So will the bloody great dead spot in your lawn I would imagine. :D
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #977 on: July 28, 2020, 08:34:08 pm »
It really brought a tear to an old mans eye......... ;D

So will the bloody great dead spot in your lawn I would imagine. :D

Ha ha, I’ve never had much time for gardening Brian, being that I’m a man..... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
    • old japanese parts and bikes
« Reply #978 on: July 29, 2020, 03:27:58 am »
Fifth year in a row that my tomatoes are attacked by the "black death" . Tried everything I can think of, so I went down to the REAL MAN"S side of the garden and cursed at it.  8)
michel
Laugh at least once a day.
Life  $ucks, then you die.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
God forces us to live with  non-believers to test our resolve.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #979 on: July 29, 2020, 03:41:27 am »
Fifth year in a row that my tomatoes are attacked by the "black death" . Tried everything I can think of, so I went down to the REAL MAN"S side of the garden and cursed at it.  8)
michel

Well as much as I have little time for "House and Garden" types Michel, growing things that you can eat is a manly chore. Just as long as you don't eat flowers, or lawn, then you're OK......... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #980 on: July 29, 2020, 07:35:27 pm »
michel

Well as much as I have little time for "House and Garden" types Michel, growing things that you can eat is a manly chore. Just as long as you don't eat flowers, or lawn, then you're OK......... ;D

Well bugger.......it looks like I'm gunna have to hang up my man pants for awhile. ;D ;D ;D
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #981 on: July 29, 2020, 10:31:15 pm »
michel

Soil fungus?  It likes to grow in the top 6 to 8 inches. Replace with fresh topsoil.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #982 on: July 30, 2020, 10:08:58 am »
Learning the quirks of the Ford Flathead V8 and "three on the tree" after inheriting my Dad's 1951 Ford Custom Tudor this summer.  My Dad bought this car in 1955 and put it in long term storage in 1960 after starting a family.  I remember it mostly being under wraps in the storage shed coming out for short runs now and again.  He did not let any of the kids get their hands on it for our first car.  In the 1980's it came out for good after all the kids were gone.  New interior, new paint, new chrome, and an engine rebuild all took place over a 10 year period. It has lots of the period accessories like the windshield visor, the spotlights, fender skirts, continental wheel kit, side pipes, lots of little chrome touches.  The engine is all stock and my plans are a 12 volt conversion and some bolt on performance upgrades.  A dual Holley 94  intake, headers, and a modern distributor are about the limit  the stock flattie can take without some internal upgrades.  I have no intention of opening up the engine as it runs fine since the rebuild years ago.  My 63 Ford  Galaxie is up on blocks going through a complete brake rebuild and upgrade including all new lines so like old bikes maybe it's good to have two old cars so there is the chance to have a least one of them roadworthy.

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #983 on: July 30, 2020, 08:18:45 pm »
 I carried some large pieces of the trunk floor and rear sheet metal out of the shop for the scrap guy to come get.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #984 on: July 31, 2020, 03:24:59 am »
Learning the quirks of the Ford Flathead V8 and "three on the tree" after inheriting my Dad's 1951 Ford Custom Tudor this summer.  My Dad bought this car in 1955 and put it in long term storage in 1960 after starting a family.  I remember it mostly being under wraps in the storage shed coming out for short runs now and again.  He did not let any of the kids get their hands on it for our first car.  In the 1980's it came out for good after all the kids were gone.  New interior, new paint, new chrome, and an engine rebuild all took place over a 10 year period. It has lots of the period accessories like the windshield visor, the spotlights, fender skirts, continental wheel kit, side pipes, lots of little chrome touches.  The engine is all stock and my plans are a 12 volt conversion and some bolt on performance upgrades.  A dual Holley 94  intake, headers, and a modern distributor are about the limit  the stock flattie can take without some internal upgrades.  I have no intention of opening up the engine as it runs fine since the rebuild years ago.  My 63 Ford  Galaxie is up on blocks going through a complete brake rebuild and upgrade including all new lines so like old bikes maybe it's good to have two old cars so there is the chance to have a least one of them roadworthy.

man what a keeper!yeah dont try and soup up that flathead too much,just cruise it,the 12 volt conversion is the first thing to do!great extras its got,Ritchie Cunningham would be jealous?better get the  "Fonz"to tune it up?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #985 on: July 31, 2020, 04:03:10 am »

That is a magnificent car mate, well done! My dad left me his 1984 Ford Falcon station wagon which, apart from being covered in 6 years of dust is mint, but it'll be a long time before it's as cool as that beauty! ;D 

Offline 72 yellow

• Expert
« Reply #986 on: July 31, 2020, 06:17:18 am »
Remember riding in my Dad's 49 Ford as a small kid. Dark blue with the sunvisor.  I was standing on the floor behind the back seat and he kept telling me to sit down.  Of course I didn't.  A car pulled out in front of us, he hit the brakes and I hit the back of the passenger seat, which folded down and I ended up finding out what a steel dashboard tasted like.

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #987 on: July 31, 2020, 04:11:13 pm »

That is a magnificent car mate, well done! My dad left me his 1984 Ford Falcon station wagon which, apart from being covered in 6 years of dust is mint, but it'll be a long time before it's as cool as that beauty! ;D

I know you guys have some different cars there so maybe that will be cool for your grandchildren.   Here in the US I don't know if any cars from the 80's will ever be cool.  I feel lucky to have grown up in the 60's and 70's when we still had inexpensive access to the great cars of the 50's and 60's.  We may be old now but we got to own and drive some bit#&in wheels when we were kids.  8)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:13:41 pm by BeSeeingYou »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #988 on: July 31, 2020, 05:13:42 pm »

I know you guys have some different cars there so maybe that will be cool for your grandchildren.   Here in the US I don't know if any cars from the 80's will ever be cool.  I feel lucky to have grown up in the 60's and 70's when we still had inexpensive access to the great cars of the 50's and 60's.  We may be old now but we got to own and drive some bit#&in wheels when we were kids.  8)

Yeah mate, it'll be a long time before that car is cool, but being my dad's I have an emotional attachment, and with only 72000 miles on the odo, it still drives like a new car so I'll do something with it eventually. My dad's favourite car was a 1948 Pontiac, a beautiful black car with red leather seats and a "Mother of pearl" steering wheel that he traded in on a Chrysler Valiant in 1969. I wish we still had that car. ;D

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #989 on: July 31, 2020, 10:17:55 pm »

Yeah mate, it'll be a long time before that car is cool, but being my dad's I have an emotional attachment, and with only 72000 miles on the odo, it still drives like a new car so I'll do something with it eventually. My dad's favourite car was a 1948 Pontiac, a beautiful black car with red leather seats and a "Mother of pearl" steering wheel that he traded in on a Chrysler Valiant in 1969. I wish we still had that car. ;D

Those two words...I wish.... ;D  By the time I was 22 I had had a 57 Ford retractable hardtop, a 57 Ford Victoria 4 door hardtop(massive car), a 57 Ford Ranchwagon that I dropped a 351 Cleveland into and which my brother owns now.  Also three different 63 Ford Galaxie 500s....one of which I still own.  I wish I had kept the retractable and the ranchwagon. ;D  found a photo of the ranchwagon
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:22:54 pm by BeSeeingYou »

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #990 on: July 31, 2020, 11:17:06 pm »

man what a keeper!yeah dont try and soup up that flathead too much,just cruise it,the 12 volt conversion is the first thing to do!great extras its got,Ritchie Cunningham would be jealous?better get the  "Fonz"to tune it up?

These flatheads run hot due to the valves being on the inside of the block so the exhaust passes around the cylinders on its way to the outside exhaust ports.  Vapor lock is a common problem in hot weather due to the location of the fuel pump and the carb soaking up heat from the manifold.  My dad's solution was to carry a jug of water to pour on the fuel pump to cool it down.  There are some "homespun" cures that involve tin foil and cloths pins that people swear by but I think I might go with an electric fuel pump and regulator near the fuel tank (that option can keep or remove the mechanical pump) and mounting the carb on a non metallic spacer block to insulate it from the intake manifold. 

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #991 on: August 01, 2020, 02:51:31 am »
that ranchwagon?i wonder how many got crushed over the years?ahh i guess its all progress?

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #992 on: August 03, 2020, 02:45:23 am »
 I hung the trunk floor in my firebird and then slid the Art Morrison rear subframe in it. I had to reduce the overlap between the two floor panels to get the frame to line up as good as it did on the jig. It's only got 1/4" now,  I'll make a strip to go between them before it gets welded together.  Now I can cut the floor for the subframe connectors and weld it into a single frame rather than two subframes. I had to dig out a denim shirt for slicing the rear floor panels out. Between an air chisel, plasma cutter, air and electric grinders with thin wheels it came apart but wasn't easy. Multiple layers and some were zinc plated but on only one side. WTF GM?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #993 on: August 03, 2020, 07:40:38 am »
I hung the trunk floor in my firebird and then slid the Art Morrison rear subframe in it.

Don...we really need to see pics of your cool projects!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #994 on: August 03, 2020, 10:15:55 am »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LpmwVq9J9jnNuZYe9 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Br3oysMZKuTxzSa8

I suck at posting photos, every time I figure it out they change it.
The camaro fender panel is only on there to help align the mini wheel tub, I've had them in the attic for 25 years. I plan to rebuild most of the body.
 It has C6 Corvette A arms and brakes, a ram air 3 pontiac 400 motor, The rear axle is a 9" Edsel reproduction housing with lincoln mark V rear disc brakes and a posi nodular center section with a daytona pinion support. Coil over shocks all around.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 10:22:05 am by Don R »

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #995 on: August 03, 2020, 02:44:41 pm »
49 Ford, flathead V8 was my first car growing up. 65 Mustang, was 2nd car, that one got stolen and set fire.

Today I sold one of my project trucks, 1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max, Macro Cab. Liked that truck, just lost interest, and became lazy, even on my other truck and motorcycles.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #996 on: August 07, 2020, 03:31:13 am »
Well with the Exploder's transmission in doubt, I've decided to pay out the lease on my 2015 Ford Territory that's been sitting in my driveway, mostly unused since 2017 due to the annoying turbo lag which has made it less than pleasant to drive around town. A friend of mine bought a Territory and had the same issue with turbo lag, so bought a "Windbooster" throttle controller last year, and raves about how the multi-mode throttle response has improved his driving experience. Installation is super easy, with a "drive by wire" throttle, it's just plug and play, 5 minutes and it's done.

Today I ponied up the dough for the top of the line throttle controller with 9 different modes from "economy" to "drag". Totally unnecessary of course, the base model would have been just as useful, but as there was only 80 bucks ($50 USD) between them, I figured I may as well buy the  best one, even though it'll probably just sit in the "Auto" mode for most of it's life. ;D

https://www.windbooster.com.au/windbooster-bluetooth-gt-throttle-controller-to-su~528   

Windbooster GT by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Territory Territory by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #997 on: August 07, 2020, 03:33:56 am »
dont you ever dare select drag mode Terry!the last thing the world needs to see is you in womens undies!

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #998 on: August 07, 2020, 05:46:45 am »
I can assure you that the big T in high heeled moccasins is more than most of you can handle
i blame Terry

Offline BoneDigger

« Reply #999 on: August 07, 2020, 02:32:53 pm »
Got my '72 CB750 registered today after a total rebuild!