Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 135729 times)

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #550 on: May 26, 2019, 12:10:06 pm »
Here is my bro exercising the boss's vette
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #551 on: May 26, 2019, 12:38:37 pm »
you think hell swap cars with me?

Offline jaytee-nz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #552 on: May 26, 2019, 05:41:01 pm »
You still see the odd one here in NZ Dave (Premier model). Is yours the 253 engine ?

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #553 on: May 26, 2019, 08:12:34 pm »
you think hell swap cars with me?
my bro will certainly swap his boss's car with you dave
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #554 on: May 26, 2019, 09:39:03 pm »
You still see the odd one here in NZ Dave (Premier model). Is yours the 253 engine ?

it was factory 253 but I built a 308 bored to 312 in 1992 still real good.

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #555 on: May 27, 2019, 09:48:37 am »
Not today.. But yesterday my GFs cobalt died nothing major alt went out. Went out and got the battery to charge it and drive the car the rest of the way home later. After letting the battery charge about a hour. We getba call. Your car is smashed and on fire....... Glory me on top of the flu in myself amd our 10 month old baby. Her car got hit while on the side of the rode. 55mph zone shoved the trunk into the back on the drivers seat. Will have pics in a few days.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #556 on: May 27, 2019, 04:15:40 pm »
Holy crap! Good thing she wasn't in it when it got smashed. Hope you have insurance to cover it, or the guy that hit it is covered.

The good thing about when all that crap is comming down is it can only get better.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #557 on: May 27, 2019, 11:37:12 pm »
bloody hell lucky,at least ya wont need to buy an alternator for it now?

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #558 on: May 28, 2019, 11:13:58 am »
Well she knows I have 5K in the bank..... She wants a new car or me to finish her jag... Oh wait both......
5K is money im not touching bc its my saving to buy a house. Her car is in my name though so prob going to buy her something while i work on the Jag then bank the Insurance money
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #559 on: June 15, 2019, 01:57:30 pm »
......my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee would barely reverse out of the garage yesterday! LF Brake caliper seized. I replaced the RF last Fall, and optimistically did just one. Idiot. Caught this one soon enough not to damage the pads I installed on both sides back then. Swapped in a rebuilt unit this morning.

The old JEEP runs great. New rad and headlights last year, I hope to get 500K kilometres on it before it dies. One of the last ones with the 4 litre straight six and “select trac” transmission. Takes a lot of abuse and never ever stuck anywhere. My wife thinks it’s an eyesore (she has a new SUV), and I love it! It has a Class III hitch and does all the hard work around here.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #560 on: June 15, 2019, 06:24:28 pm »
Sounds like my Landcruiser. The wife and just about all my mate's put shiit on it constantly but they will end up having to bury me in it. ;D

Ev reckons she would have enough money to tour the world twice if she had a dollar for every hour I have spent working on the old girl.

Come to think of it if she knew how much money I have spent on it, the truck and I would probably be buried together already.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Brian
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
    • old japanese parts and bikes
« Reply #561 on: June 16, 2019, 04:11:59 am »
Living in Vermont and having bought I car/station wagon (2007 Toyota Matrix) that came w/o any rust on it from a private sale I decided that after seeing all these 10+ year old Toyota Corrolla's and Pontiac Vibes/toyota matrix's w/ rust in the rocker panels....I undercoated it. Used sticky chain lube on the frame and old oil in the rocker panels then drove on hilly dirt roads for a while. Figured it'll last a year. 2 cans of chain lube and a bunch of 2cm caps is all it cost me.

Figured I'd do it myself because last year I had my wife's new Camry "done" and when I checked uit  out, the rocker panels weren't done! 5 months on still waiting for mechanic to find time to finish it up!
Laugh at least once a day.
Life  $ucks, then you die.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
God forces us to live with  non-believers to test our resolve.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #562 on: June 16, 2019, 05:20:40 pm »
Lawn Tractor Advice??? We live full time on a a Farm Property. I cut most of my grass with a 1963 MF135 tractor (3 cyl. Perkins deselect) dragging a 6’ finishing mower. My wife cuts the lawns around the house with a 22 year old, 18HP Sears garden tractor. I keep it clean, greased and oiled, a few days ago I changed all the belts. Mechanically in excellent condition.

The problem is the mower deck. 48” , three blades. It looks good from above, but is rusty enough underneath that it collects every shred of damp grass, dust and dirt and packs itself. It’s so bad that I feel like I am removing a rusty layer when scrape after every use. This spring has been VERY damp, which makes it worse.Plan to strip it down, and power wash it clean.

What’s the best coating to “smooth” out the underside? Epoxy primer and paint? I might rush it down to the power coater and get it blasted and coated? Any other suggestions??

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #563 on: June 17, 2019, 02:44:05 am »
What’s the best coating to “smooth” out the underside? Epoxy primer and paint? I might rush it down to the power coater and get it blasted and coated? Any other suggestions??

POR 15 maybe? It's pretty tough stuff and will probably dramatically slow down if not stop the rust from getting worse.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=6p76kptipuu3bvrfa0979umeh2&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #564 on: June 17, 2019, 05:41:57 am »
think the rust vil grow on..under the proctekting skin..it is inside the metal..grass is like acid.

after the seson..i just vask,, dry and give the cutter shield some vast oil..så it not corodes over the Winter..

have tryed glass fiber/poliester..it make it worse too..an idea is to make a cutter shield komplet of glass fiber..cast, use the old as form..the problem is hvere the berings holder/shafts bolts on..
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:47:04 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #565 on: June 17, 2019, 01:50:31 pm »
Mmmmm...... It turns out my 22 year old, Kholer powered, SEARS tractor is a Husqvarna! A new deck is $390 + tax. I found a local repair shop that will sand blast and powder coat for $80 cash. After the next cut, I think I’ll strip it down, scrape and power wash, then take it over there (after it is thoroughly dry). Will report on the outcome. Cheers, John D.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #566 on: June 18, 2019, 01:03:02 am »
i have a 15 year old toro xlh44,i just wire wheeled the underside and flooded it with cheap fish oil,seems to be holding after two years,might do it again one day,i think powder coat might trap the nasties and just start peeling after a while?with rocks that sometimes hit underneath itll get chipped first time?

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
« Reply #567 on: June 18, 2019, 04:52:41 am »
i have a 15 year old toro xlh44,i just wire wheeled the underside and flooded it with cheap fish oil,seems to be holding after two years,might do it again one day,i think powder coat might trap the nasties and just start peeling after a while?with rocks that sometimes hit underneath itll get chipped first time?

Do seagulls follow you around on the XLH44?  ;)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #568 on: June 18, 2019, 06:54:08 am »
I’m thinking the success of the powdercoating will depend on how well the fellow sand blasts the underside clean. Will report the results!

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #569 on: June 18, 2019, 11:11:29 am »
Last weekend.  Replaced timing belt and water pump on my son's Camry.  What a pain in the ass.  What kind of an idiot hooks up water pump to timing belt?

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #570 on: June 18, 2019, 11:22:22 am »
Bought oil for the wife's '06 T&C, and my '15 Taco...........dayyyyyum....oils getting spensive.

Will do oil changes on both this weekend.

Probably need to do the JD riding mower too.
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #571 on: June 18, 2019, 03:44:26 pm »
Helped my good friend find and purchase this 1960 Corvette Convertible for his collection.

He's been out of town so I graciously volunteered to accept delivery  of it yesterday and I must thoroughly test drive to make sure it is running properly!  It is!!  It has a 283 V8 with dual quads and sounds great.

I'll prolly keep it in my garage for a week or two for proper "testing"...

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #572 on: June 18, 2019, 05:26:42 pm »
Helped my good friend find and purchase this 1960 Corvette Convertible for his collection.

He's been out of town so I graciously volunteered to accept delivery  of it yesterday and I must thoroughly test drive to make sure it is running properly!  It is!!  It has a 283 V8 with dual quads and sounds great.

I'll prolly keep it in my garage for a week or two for proper "testing"...

😇😇😇😻😻😻😻
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #573 on: June 22, 2019, 06:17:23 pm »
Well it was yesterday actually, but being that yesterday was the shortest day of the year I didn't get around to posting this until today. I've been "wheeling and dealing" with Spotty, and yesterday I delivered his new ZZR1100 project, and picked up my latest CB750, and a BSA 250 from the 1950's, for good measure. It makes me feel young to have a bike that's older than me!

Anyway, my favourite car is my old Ford Exploder, I bought it for the bargain price of $1600 four years ago with a rattly pair of camchains, but so far, so good, they're still rattling, but it's still running perfectly. Compared to my other cars it's a gas guzzler that averages 19 MPG on the highway, when compared to my Aussie built Ford Territory that is slightly wider and about the same weight, but gets around 40 MPG from it's V6 turbo diesel. No matter, I had a great drive over to Spotty's place, and a better drive home with more CB750 booty, and a BSA to boot. ;D

Saturday Spotty project exchange by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Saturday Spotty project exchange 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Saturday Spotty project exchange 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
« Reply #574 on: June 23, 2019, 06:40:46 am »
Helping my son negotiate the purchase of a 1998 Chevy stepside pickup w/ a 350ci V8 from a 35 year mechanic I've known for 35 years.. Thing goes like a raped ape, but only gets 8-11miles per gallon. Looks very rough on the outside as the whole thing was painted w/ thick  "rubberized paint" to stop rust.  :D  Well at least he won't be able to wax it as this paint is very rough. ;D It runs well, Price is right and he plans on taking it into the woods, not tooling around town trying to impress people w/ a "pretty
 commuting " truck.

And on the plus side I'll get to use it to haul wood and use my trailer also saving me time.