Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 174597 times)

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1050 on: August 22, 2020, 01:34:13 pm »
Sharpened the blades on my Toro Z turn.
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1051 on: August 23, 2020, 04:38:42 pm »
 I pulled a couple studs into my new 9" ford housing and popped the third member into it, then slid in the axles to check length, all looked good so I pressed on the disc brake bracket, seals, bearings and retainers. After dinner I'll go back out and find the T bolts for the brake flanges and and thread in some wheel studs. The rear axle is getting pretty heavy and the frame/new floor assembly is sitting on several jack stands, zip screws and hydraulic jacks. I'll resist the temptation to hang the tires and wheels until I weld the frame and unibody.

I also put the transmission back in the dragster.  I'm too old (wise) to use my back for this job.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zyPVYujq43PhdGBh7
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 04:41:31 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1052 on: August 23, 2020, 05:27:08 pm »
Neverending work on '73 firebird.  Waiting for intake and covers to come back from being stripped.

Cleaned and lubed parking brake pedal assy and replaced all the cables to the Drums with a nice SS Kit...pretty sure exiting lines were original and were i awful shape.  Also replaced all the front/rear swingarm bushings and installed new Bilstein Shocks.  Old Shocks were 150% shot...zero damping left.

new SS Brake line kit should be in later this week...at that point everything will be refreshed between the pedal and the wheels.

Joe

'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1053 on: August 23, 2020, 05:29:43 pm »
Neverending work on '73 firebird.  Waiting for intake and covers to come back from being stripped.

Welcome to the Classic Car world!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1054 on: August 23, 2020, 05:33:10 pm »
It’s never ending...poor thing has been on blocks since late July.  While waiting for parts I keep screwing with something else and making a longer list

But to be honest...I’m having a lot of fun learning...after all this I can’t wait to strip the interior over winter and go back to black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1055 on: August 24, 2020, 06:38:28 am »

But to be honest...I’m having a lot of fun learning...after all this I can’t wait to strip the interior over winter and go back to black.

Thats the right attitude, Joe. It will all be worth it in the end. Labor of love.

I enjoyed "renewing" the interior on my Corvette last year, the cracked dash pad bothered me so it was replaced. Also installed new console parts, audio system and finally new seat foam and leather covers. Glad there are only two seats, the leather was expensive!

Last time I drove it, heard a weird popping noise from the front suspension, need to check that out.

Never ends...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1056 on: August 24, 2020, 09:39:06 pm »

I've been trying to do one thing at a time on my 69 firebird but putting a chassis under a semi unibody car requires everything at once. The entire front and rear frames are under the car and the connectors are in place but the new trunk floor is in now I see the front floor is somehow 3/8" too far forward. Good timing though because it's only screwed to the rocker panels and bolted to the floating nuts in the unibody right now. 

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1057 on: August 26, 2020, 03:20:23 pm »
Looking forward to seeing pictures of your bird sometime Don.

I got the rear diff cleaned out and serviced/filled. I’m thinking the PO never did the drain and fill after the break in on the posi diff install. 

Rear brakes all done with new hardware and I replaced the rotted old parking brake cables with a nice new Stainless Set.  So much smoother operating now.

Now I just need my dang brake lines to come in so I can finish

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1058 on: August 27, 2020, 04:43:11 pm »
Wow, the underside of that car is so clean you could eat off it Joe! (gravity permitting, of course.....) ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1059 on: August 27, 2020, 04:48:09 pm »
Wow, the underside of that car is so clean you could eat off it Joe! (gravity permitting, of course.....) ;D

Its funny....its like someone cleaned off the whole underside...its solid as hell with almost no rust or pitted spots.  But they left all the old bushings, cables, and lines....and then shot that black undercoat over everything, including lines, shocks, cables, bushings...everything.  Nice thing is once I finish replacing all the bits it should be solid for a long while if I keep it clean :)
'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1060 on: August 27, 2020, 05:12:10 pm »
Joe, you don't want to have to worry about which side to keep upright, the undercoating helps in that decision. Nice to have a clean car...be thankful you have such a nice example.

Sometimes undercoating is used by less scrupulous owners to hide issues on cars they are trying to sell. That is not the case for your car.
David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1061 on: August 27, 2020, 10:38:40 pm »
 Nice, CB. My frame has a 2x4 crossmember right where the front of your muffler is, in the middle is a round tube U with room for the driveshaft and exhaust pipes.  My pipes will exit under the license plate like an XKE complicated by the gas tank being an inch deeper to help make up for the notched corners to keep it 18 gallons.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1062 on: August 27, 2020, 10:51:31 pm »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ji78SyXjebGKVRXcA
The floor notch for the frame connectors, it's a little busy but it shows the rear frame stub and the cross member.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/exWX64zE81F6JfLdA
 Same side shot as before but with axles, brakes and wheels. The 12" lincoln disc brakes look lost in the deep 18" wheels, but I made the housing and axles for them so I'm stuck with them. The fender panel is an old rusty attic find for a camaro. It's only there for reference to get the wheel tubs in the right place. It will get full quarter panels or a new body.  I'd like to go to real deal steel and look at one of the new ones they make.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:55:28 pm by Don R »

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
    • old japanese parts and bikes
« Reply #1063 on: August 28, 2020, 12:44:02 am »
Nice work Joe.
Hey Don, why is your undercarriage so nice looking? Is it all new?
michel
Laugh at least once a day.
Life  $ucks, then you die.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
God forces us to live with  non-believers to test our resolve.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1064 on: August 28, 2020, 03:40:31 am »
Dang Don! That looks like you’re fabricating the car from ground up

Like the look of those rims

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1065 on: August 28, 2020, 04:17:29 am »
looks great,only paint,always be wary off thick fresh sound deadener applied!a dead give away!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1066 on: August 28, 2020, 04:47:17 am »
Beautiful work Don, post more pics as it progresses! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1067 on: August 28, 2020, 08:09:21 pm »
 Yes, the floor pans and entire frame are new, Art Morrison front clip with C6 Vette aluminum front a arms, spindles and Z51 brakes, coil over shocks all around and a 9" Edsel (new) rear end housing with triangulated 4 link rear suspension. I had a 31 spline ford N case trac loc posi unit with 3:50 gears rat holed for years. I just got the Strange engineering axles.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #1068 on: August 28, 2020, 09:15:28 pm »
Hey Don, what are you planning on for a trans? I happen to have a Gear Vendors over-drive collecting dust that I'd like to get my money back out of, but you would need the "kit" to mate it up to your trans; it currently has the tail-shaft housing adapter for a Ford granny four-speed, IIRC.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1069 on: August 29, 2020, 07:20:47 pm »
Hey Don, what are you planning on for a trans? I happen to have a Gear Vendors over-drive collecting dust that I'd like to get my money back out of, but you would need the "kit" to mate it up to your trans; it currently has the tail-shaft housing adapter for a Ford granny four-speed, IIRC.

It's a Turbo 400, I've been watching for a gear vendors OD. I'm really not familiar with the control box or adapters but am interested in one. Feel free to shoot me a PM with details.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 07:24:06 pm by Don R »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #1070 on: August 29, 2020, 08:51:02 pm »
The standard Gear Vendors ODs all have an adapter that replaces the stock trans tail-shaft housing, and a splined female coupler with the selected transmissions spline on one end, and the standard GV spline on the other. The output end of the GV is a fixed yoke for the universal joint, so the drive-shaft will need to be modified with a sliding joint as well as shortened by approximately 20 inches, IIRC.
The OD is activated with an electric solenoid, so it can be manually controlled with a simple toggle switch; the control is only needed for automatic operation.
My first experience with an over-drive was in 1966, when I was 12. Ron, the neighbor across the street had replaced the clutch in his Triumph TR4A IRS, and asked me to push in the clutch pedal while he was underneath adjusting it. Afterwards, he took me on the test run, and told me the car had 8 speeds, then proved it by counting off the gears. ;D IIRC, there was a stalk on the right side of the steering column the switched the OD in or out.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline CBJoe

• Master
What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1071 on: August 30, 2020, 05:58:37 am »
I hadn’t heard of gear vendors before.  Expensive, but depending on how much touring in future will have to keep In mind.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 02:32:03 pm by CBJoe »
'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1072 on: August 30, 2020, 02:34:01 pm »
Covers painted and installed...waiting on intake still.  They had to put it through another hot tank cycle...there’s some primer or base on it that wasn’t coming off in places. They will blast if they have to...hopefully back by midweek.

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline 72 yellow

• Expert
« Reply #1073 on: August 30, 2020, 03:38:25 pm »
Spent 1/2 day today working on my 1967 John Deere 112H garden tractor.  Thing would not start and finally found out the solenoid was bad.  Once I am done with all the checks, I will install the blade and get ready for when winter get here.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1074 on: August 30, 2020, 04:38:43 pm »
The standard Gear Vendors ODs all have an adapter that replaces the stock trans tail-shaft housing, and a splined female coupler with the selected transmissions spline on one end, and the standard GV spline on the other. The output end of the GV is a fixed yoke for the universal joint, so the drive-shaft will need to be modified with a sliding joint as well as shortened by approximately 20 inches, IIRC.
The OD is activated with an electric solenoid, so it can be manually controlled with a simple toggle switch; the control is only needed for automatic operation.
My first experience with an over-drive was in 1966, when I was 12. Ron, the neighbor across the street had replaced the clutch in his Triumph TR4A IRS, and asked me to push in the clutch pedal while he was underneath adjusting it. Afterwards, he took me on the test run, and told me the car had 8 speeds, then proved it by counting off the gears. ;D IIRC, there was a stalk on the right side of the steering column the switched the OD in or out.
  Sounds awesome, I already put out feelers for a T400 adapter. I already need a new driveshaft, this gives an excuse to go big on the u joints too.