Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 174451 times)

simon#42 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1125 on: September 30, 2020, 05:34:32 am »
RB550FOUR...... this is the fourth weekend. Totally socially distanced; driver’s meetings over the am radio or P.A., no spectators, separate pits, small crew, and masks. Quietly still having FUN!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 05:41:16 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1126 on: September 30, 2020, 09:13:21 am »
 We did socially distanced drag racing at Byron Il. last weekend. Most wore a mask, a few didn't. The track owner implored everyone to be careful to protect his ability to remain open. If the track were ID'd as an outbreak source they would be forced to close.
 We had a rocker arm back off, they are the bane of my existence. It seems no matter how many times I check, they still back off from being loose or break from being overtightened. The nut remained in the valley thank goodness, a magnet on a stick fished it out. When we got home I ordered a special torque wrench designed just for them, $179 well spent. I hope. It was commercial lawn mowing money from a temp. job so easy come easy go.
 Not racing has allowed me to work on my hot rod firebird project, we will see if we return on a part time basis or not. Joliet won't have racing next year, we fully expect it to close up. They have a lot of built in overhead. Cordova, Tri States and Byron will hopefully make it through this challenge.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #1127 on: September 30, 2020, 04:52:45 pm »
 This is all very exciting, but I wonder,  no fans? Is it televised anywhere?  And does a win without spectators still have the same mental impact as a win with spectators? Don't get me wrong , I know a win is still a win and a feather in any driver's cap  at a competition of driver against other drivers, is it really noticeable to drivers that are concentrating at the task at hand that there are no fans? Does it feel like you were robbed any glory with no spectators? I don't race  so I don't know but I suspect if I did there might be an underlying energy that a crowd can bring that would push someone a little past their normal limits at times, no matter how good they are, and that could be a good thing especially if you are at your peak of the sport and aren't really sure how much reserve you have to your limits. You know , I don't know how it feels in a seat kicking ass on a track, never have, so could it be all the same whether there's a crowd or not? Just wondering as auto sports have held my interest ( as a spectator) all my life even though I never had the chance to be involved in it. I just wonder how it feels as a driver.
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1128 on: October 01, 2020, 05:45:25 am »
Not sure about others, but I could care less about spectators. Even after 51 seasons, it’s all about me and the track. I love pulling on the suit, gloves, shoes and balaclava. Strap me in, click down the window net and let me go! The first few laps (after a rolling) start can be pretty hectic, but endurance racing is also about being consistent, and kicking out great lap times for 90-120 minutes. I’m running with equally experienced team mates. We’re enjoying some success, but truthfully, it’s all about being out there, in a well prepared, fast car. Mostly, we spend the whole time trying to turn “the fastest lap”! Can’t wait for this coming weekend and too bad it’s the last one of the year.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1129 on: October 01, 2020, 12:09:13 pm »
 We race Super Comp, the cars launch and then fall on their face for 1-2 seconds then launch again to go 8.90 seconds but not quicker. About 160 to 180 mph. Confusing and boring to spectators but it's difficult but a working man racer can be as good at it as anyone. Bracket racing with handicap starts is similar. Watching isn't as fun but when you get involved with a team it's a hoot. We love racing in front of a big crowd but usually we don't have very many outside of our group. We've been in front of as many as 30,000 and as few as 3. Still race the same.
 Wins in heads up racing eventually go to the biggest checkbook. Some guys will/can spend unlimited amounts of money to win a tiny amount or a trophy.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1130 on: October 01, 2020, 05:32:02 pm »
Don..... what do “normal” people do. For me there is seat time, and waiting for seat time......

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #1131 on: October 01, 2020, 06:03:45 pm »
  All that sounds as wonderful as I thought it would be. Sounds like those who do must, and those who don't only dream about it.
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1132 on: October 05, 2020, 07:19:22 pm »
Don..... what do “normal” people do. For me there is seat time, and waiting for seat time......

Not sure, I've never been normal. I remember a ride with my brother in the family 53 Buick, we got over 90. I was hooked for life. When I was an apprentice and had taken a 25% pay cut I spent a winter memorizing Street Rodder mags. The next year I built my 40 chevy coupe.
 My greatest feat in racing is my two daughters racing their Jr. Dragsters against each other in the final round 4 times.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1133 on: October 05, 2020, 07:25:28 pm »
 I rode the G-Oldwing today, rounding up parts for the Firebird and go cart. I got some seafoam, manifold bolts, cable end clamps.  It appears it's time to put the racecar away after only 3 runs this season. Seems like a waste of distilled water and a huge waste of money and labor. Grandbabies change things, he'll be crew soon.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1134 on: October 06, 2020, 06:31:59 am »
Race Report. We ran the Toyota MR2 for the last races of the Canadian Endurance Series at Calabogie this past weekend. Our usual 4th driver is an old friend, Brian Hunt. He flies out from Calgary, Alberta and just couldn’t make the last double header weekend. Subbed in a local racer, Jeff Labelle. We finished in second place on the seven hour Saturday event, but managed a win over eight hours on Sunday! That, combined with our previous six events, brought home the Championship. Cool mornings (just above freezing) and intermittent rain spells, made for an exciting event. Tim dragged along his huge 5th wheel RV, so we were comfortable and warm. We survived and had a terrific time....... too bad it’s over.
P.S. the oldest guy (me) turned the fastest lap of the weekend. Cool.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 06:37:33 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1135 on: October 06, 2020, 07:33:34 am »
Congrats on the great season and championship wins!
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1136 on: October 06, 2020, 07:36:02 am »
Thanks RAF. Amazing bunch of guys, very laid back and all about having fun. The surprising results just add “icing to the cake”!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1137 on: October 06, 2020, 02:29:32 pm »
 That's great, Congrats on the good race and the win.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #1138 on: October 06, 2020, 06:36:30 pm »
P.S. the oldest guy (me) turned the fastest lap of the weekend. Cool.

Cool indeed! Well done.
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1139 on: October 06, 2020, 08:08:30 pm »
 The will to win is easy, the difficult part is having the will to prepare to win.  Somebody said it before me, but it's my racing mantra.

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #1140 on: October 06, 2020, 08:21:20 pm »
can't remeber if i updated here after posting on the pissed off thread about the clown car but its been in the repair shop for a week and a half now getting a new ( to the car ) motor, costing close on $5k, so when i have to pay for it i shall be posting in the pissed off thread again

the timing chain ( known weak spot on the V6 Alloytech holden motor ) had stretched and skipped a couple of teeth allowing the pistons to kiss the valves on the right hand side of the engine, its only fair i guess those pistons and valves have only been allowed to see each other from a safe distance for 174.000km and finally.....
i blame Terry

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1141 on: October 07, 2020, 06:50:44 am »
Don...... what you say about the preparation is so true! Funny thing with this “experienced” bunch is we do all the work at home. We are very low key at the track, don’t bring a lot of spares or tools to fill our pit box. Always surprises the other Teams when we beat them!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1142 on: October 07, 2020, 07:44:29 am »
 I enjoyed reading about The Surfers Drag Racing team. Young guys that hung around the return road until everyone left, then serviced the car there. Then they towed back and skateboarded around the pits driving all of the big teams crazy. They ran a high percent of nitro and displayed pouring it direct from the can. When asked aren't you going to work on the car? They replied no, we'd probably just mess it up. They used science on the fuel system with high pressure pumps and smaller jets after seeking advise from their college professors.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=vavkegts57p5qvhdvueq2avnh6&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #1143 on: October 07, 2020, 10:05:12 am »
not a vehicle..but turns the Wheels

a nice kompakt one..but can only do the basis Things..have no long spindel..any idea..is it a germany or usa made..dont think it are danish
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 10:09:00 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1144 on: October 07, 2020, 11:40:28 am »
 I received the Gear Vendors overdrive today from Scottly. I'm excited to learn more about it and get the adapter to bolt it into the Firebird project.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNm47yG7H_CA0Q1vr8ZohAFIMHzoRrqn4JD-qdB

Gear vendors says the turbo 400 is a very popular choice. I can use a short oil sump for exhaust clearance, the slip yoke takes a spicer 1350 u joint so I can also run a big u joint in the rear, my 9" N case has a damaged 1310 yoke, I'm glad I waited to replace it. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 06:30:11 pm by Don R »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #1145 on: October 10, 2020, 09:58:40 pm »
I took my Chevy Sonic, with it's mighty 1.4L turbo and 6 speed auto, on a 350 mile round trip to Quartzsite, AZ, to pick up a fairing from member DesertKyorugi (David), giving him Don's money from the OD. ;D I've always wanted a frame mount fairing, since it seems handlebar mounted fairings cause handling issues in crosswinds? Thanks David!!
I had topped off the tank before I left, and filled it up at Quartzsite, and was amazed at the MPG: 44.7 :o :o Granted, it was more downhill than uphill, and the return trip via a different route that involved an Arizona version of "tail of the dragon" only netted 33.17. ::)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 10:02:02 pm by scottly »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1146 on: October 11, 2020, 06:49:09 pm »
 I like that, keep it in circulation! 
  I ordered the 9" ford's #1350 U joint yoke tonight, I found a new Mark Williams part for the Daytona pinion support. When my buddy makes the driveshaft it will be big x big on the u joints. 
 Yesterday I raised the 69Firebird body and finished welding the frame connectors on top and added the 2x2 braces, I noticed while jacking it up the body had moved a few inches to one side. I kept 4X4's between the frame and body just in case things went sideways. I got the body back down and bolted in again. My trusty K mart 4 ton hydraulic jack finally gave up the ghost after 25 or more years. I got it out of a junkyard car trunk way back when. I already have a new H/F 10 ton jack. If it lasts as long as the old one it will probably outlast me.

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #1147 on: October 12, 2020, 03:07:30 am »
went to the car fixin'shop today and handed over $5K in return for my re-engined mtor vehicle, that hurt i can tell you

i wasn't used to the noises it made until i realised that what i couldn't hear was the timing chains thrashing around and drowning out the noise of the rest of the engine
i blame Terry

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1148 on: October 14, 2020, 08:14:04 pm »
 I cut up the body jig that I built for the 69 firebird project. It was mostly a waste of time since I just stuck the front and rear subframes in there, measured and made the connectors. I did get the screw holes in the two floor sections lined up so there's that.
 Now I have 80% of a bike frame jig and a full steel rack. Some of it will be crossmembers for a 40 Willys frame my buddy is building.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1149 on: October 17, 2020, 06:30:51 pm »
 I removed the water from the racecar engine. It was like flushing the mud legs in an old steam boiler. The left side was plugged for a few seconds, all I got out was chocolate milk looking gunky water. It had new heads this year, maybe there was crud left in the water jackets. The previous cracked heads leaked water into oil but not oil into the water.
  In past seasons I've had water wetter in it and even re-used the distilled water. Not this time. Oops, should have been the pissed off thread now that I think about it.
 Now I decide which bikes go into the trailer with the car. K4 750 because it's a one owner my brother bought new, yamahopper pit bike because it's light, easy to tie down and already in there. I might sell any of the other ones. Hmmm,
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:36:04 pm by Don R »