Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 174131 times)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1225 on: April 05, 2021, 07:47:56 pm »
Weather is improving everyday! Sunshine and lovely today. Instead of riding, I ended up working on our bloody old Yamaha G1 golf cart! Tough little two-stroke. This thing has survived for decades around our farm, with very little maintenance, BUT, since our three grandchildren have learned to “drive” the poor thing has taken a real #$%*e kicking.......

My wife climbed aboard yesterday (there’s a hitch with a garden trailer and she uses it for everything around here) and the battery seemed flat. Charged it up quickly and no improvement. The starter/ generator turns over slowly for several revolutions, before really spooling up to speed. Decided to pull it out and take it to a really great starter/generator/alternator rebuilder. Local guy, Derek promised to have it back to me in a few days.

Grabbed a starter belt and a drive belt at another place. The shredded originals came off easily, the new drive belt was not so cooperative. Spooned about 5 lbs. of leaves, grass and oil out of the “bilge”. Hopefully a few more dollars will get it running again soon. Not pretty but a really tough old machine.

P.S. Totally selfish Repairs. This rig is also our “pit cart” when we’re racing the MR2 Turbo in the Canadian Endurance Racing Championship. First race is at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park) in one month!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 07:53:47 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1226 on: April 05, 2021, 08:19:03 pm »
 At the end of a pathetic drag race season we dropped our club car golf cart off at our daughters house, they have a pond with a shed on the other side and the drive goes over the dam so with the fold down pickup bed it came in handy.
   Today I brought the race trailer home so we can get the dragster's chassis re-certified. When we start racing again they are going to miss that golf cart. I see a JD Gator in their future.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Mr. Mike

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1227 on: April 05, 2021, 10:33:10 pm »
For the third time and in a third location, I peeled, sanded and rattle canned the flaking paint on my 2010 Ford. Pisses me off because I can see a lot of places the paint is beginning to separate from the under coat. Typically at the curl or bend on a body panel.
My wife’s 2010 Camry was recently recalled for this same type of peeling paint anywhere on the body. They’d blend/repaint (no body work) any area that was peeling due to failed paint processes. Toyota replaced entire dashes a few years ago for a production problem that introduced dashboards that became super sticky if the car was exposed to sunlight for just a few hours. I got one of those fo free!
2002 Electra Glide
1978 750K
1966 CL77 (sold)
2020 CB500X

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1228 on: April 06, 2021, 05:12:17 pm »
At the end of a pathetic drag race season we dropped our club car golf cart off at our daughters house, they have a pond with a shed on the other side and the drive goes over the dam so with the fold down pickup bed it came in handy.
   Today I brought the race trailer home so we can get the dragster's chassis re-certified. When we start racing again they are going to miss that golf cart. I see a JD Gator in their future.

My local guy rebuilt the starter/generator and with new belts, I’m hoping the cart will last another season! It just squeezes into the trailer withthe MR2 and I suspect anything else might be too large!

Update..... starter is pooched, new one on order. Probably a waste of money, but golf carts have become so popular around here, a replacement is even dumber....
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:24:44 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1229 on: April 07, 2021, 03:46:21 am »
For the third time and in a third location, I peeled, sanded and rattle canned the flaking paint on my 2010 Ford. Pisses me off because I can see a lot of places the paint is beginning to separate from the under coat. Typically at the curl or bend on a body panel.
My wife’s 2010 Camry was recently recalled for this same type of peeling paint anywhere on the body. They’d blend/repaint (no body work) any area that was peeling due to failed paint processes. Toyota replaced entire dashes a few years ago for a production problem that introduced dashboards that became super sticky if the car was exposed to sunlight for just a few hours. I got one of those fo free!

That's pretty good of Toyota mate, the paint on my wife's Hyundai was losing it's clear coat long before it was 10 years old, and Hyundai didn't do sh1t........... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=4u4u31jm7c76u3qif1rgl70fl4&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #1230 on: April 07, 2021, 09:31:33 am »
try to fix the boat engine..had some kooling problems,the last years...and faund a lot of dirt betveen the liners and block..salt vater cooling is hard for cast iron
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 09:33:10 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1231 on: April 14, 2021, 04:45:41 pm »
 I moved the race car trailer forward, unloaded two stored 750's and a QT50 pit bike, rounded up a neighbor and took the body off the dragster.  We set it aside and called the NHRA chassis inspector about scheduling a new tag.
   I won't be getting an ihra tag, they are a non player these days. Fcukers have ruined Cordova, even some of the most loyal racers are driving an hour and a half further to race elsewhere.   

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1232 on: April 17, 2021, 12:23:35 pm »
Golf Cart renewal: starter generator was fried! A new one from Winnipeg arrived today. What a difference. With the new belts, it’s back in full health. My wife has her “garden cart” back and more importantly, the “Pit Cart” is ready for the racing season!

Bad news is we are back in “lockdown”...... our first double header weekend was suppose to be at Mosport in a few weeks and I’m pretty sure it will be rescheduled or worse, cancelled.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1233 on: April 17, 2021, 01:19:07 pm »
So, the UK variant is ravaging Ontario as well as Michigan and few other places...?  Stay safe. Fingers crossed it is delayed. Problem many tracks face is there are few openings in calendar for big events to move to if their schedule is pretty full.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1234 on: April 17, 2021, 01:46:50 pm »
So, the UK variant is ravaging Ontario as well as Michigan and few other places...?  Stay safe. Fingers crossed it is delayed. Problem many tracks face is there are few openings in calendar for big events to move to if their schedule is pretty full.

All True, but also, Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport to the old timers), has not been scheduling major events, because our Premier has been calling for regular lockdowns. Our series usually doesn’t run at Mosport because of the very high costs. Last year we squeezed in a Fall weekend, because none of the other groups wanted to risk a date. This year, we grabbed the early date, for the same reason.....

From a totally selfish perspective, Mosport is my “Home” track (literally 10 miles down the road) and I was really looking forward to starting my 52nd Season there!!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1235 on: April 17, 2021, 02:22:01 pm »
 Put a new shifter cable on the Dragster / see pissed off thread for reference.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1236 on: April 17, 2021, 05:53:01 pm »
Drove my van to pick up a few burgers at nice local burger joint.  Was having a very pleasant day until the pretty young thing brought me my burgers and all of a sudden the window wont go down.  Well , that sucks.  Put it in drive and all of a sudden the window goes down.  Now it works normally, hmmm.  Get back to the shop.  Go to turn the engine off and the key wont move.  Fiddle around with the brake pedal, shifter, tilt, etc for several minutes, all the while the window is going up and down...no luck key only moves to start and that is not where want it when the engine is already running.  Oh well, gonna eat these burgers, maybe that will help.  They were damn good, but the van still wont shut off.  Hour and a half later, a sizeable portion of the column has been chiseled away and it still wont shut off.  Removed dog house, pulled coil wire, unhooked battery.  #$%* cars.
If it works good, it looks good...

ken65

« Reply #1237 on: April 17, 2021, 10:23:56 pm »
Pumped up my front drivers side tyre because I found a roofing screw in it and was at 20psi. Not worth repairing. Will track down a 2nd hand tyre tomorrow.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1238 on: April 17, 2021, 10:44:56 pm »
put an o ring under the screw head and put it back in!!!

Offline onepieceatatime

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1239 on: April 18, 2021, 08:35:19 am »
Drove my truck to work today, since one bike that is registered has a broken speedometer, and the other one, which I was planning to ride, has a flat rear tire this morning. I'll investigate further after work, but the tire is not very old and is only about half worn out.
1965 CA77
1972 CB750K Ol' Sarge
1974 CB450K7
1977 CB750K7
1977 CB750K7
1980 CB650C
1982 CM450A
1997 GL1500SE

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #1240 on: April 19, 2021, 04:22:02 pm »
 Replaced the rear brake lines on the dually. It seems it always rots away along side  the frame next to the fuel tank. Once that happens there is a hole at the end of the frame rail where the line is bent ai a horizontal 90 and then another 90 down thru the frame That is usually rotten too)then goes into a rubber line then into a block that distributes fluid between the 2 rear wheels that usually breaks along with the rest of the lines that travel across both sides of the axle . Replaced all of that ,and for some reason, I must have been too careful while removing the lines from the wheel cylinders, and I didn't have to change out the wheel cylinders. 
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1241 on: April 19, 2021, 05:39:01 pm »
Always something RB, but, I bet your duality has seen a couple miles...and years.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1242 on: April 19, 2021, 06:50:17 pm »
 RB my 2003 duallie has the same issue. I already repaired the rear over the axle line, all of the lines look awful so I bought a kit of stainless pre bent lines. I'll need to take the bed off to do that job. I'm told to expect the fuel lines to be as rusty as the brake lines.
 I bought coopernickle tubing for my firebird project. We'll see how that works.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1243 on: April 19, 2021, 08:04:10 pm »
 I finally broke down and fitted 023 stainless wire to my mig with c25 gas. I've been able to tack up the 2.5" exhaust pipe and it's fitted from the cast headers through the X crossover to the rear crossmember. I'm using slip joints with bolt on clamps so it can be taken apart.  When it's ready I'll tig weld it with an argon purge inside.
 The fun part will be out of the mufflers, over the rear axle and out the back. This car had 3" pipes under the license plate when I got it like a jag XKE. I'm hoping to find room to put that back in with 3 1/2" tailpipes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:06:09 pm by Don R »

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #1244 on: April 20, 2021, 09:21:38 pm »
You guys with your cool stuff. I made this shift boot delete for the R53 Mini.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

Offline sohc boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1245 on: April 21, 2021, 02:22:34 am »
finally got some time now that retired to do trial fit up an check cam rockers n stuff on 440 
i live by the voice inside my head

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #1246 on: April 21, 2021, 10:16:42 pm »
finally got some time now that retired to do trial fit up an check cam rockers n stuff on 440 

You might have to pull the the twin motor off the wall as well. ;D
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline sohc boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1247 on: April 22, 2021, 12:08:46 am »

You might have to pull the the twin motor off the wall as well. ;D
........ Yes Brian , i look at it everyday and think ,yea wont take a lot to get it going , have most of the bits still ..... then i slap myself ,and say ,no...... more important things to get done
i live by the voice inside my head

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1248 on: April 23, 2021, 01:48:26 pm »
 A friend bought the wrong trailer hitch for his truck and advertised it on my facebook racing swap meet page. It happened to fit my truck so I said I'd take it. $400 list at Curt, E trailer showed a $280 discount price, he wanted $180 but he had $125 in it so I get it for that price. ( I do his dragster's rear axle gear swaps)  My 2003 hitch is rusty, worn and I need to pull the bed anyway to replace it's fuel and brake lines. 
  Oh and I changed the oil. I like the 2 qt chevy filter on the 8.1 engine. For some reason I grabbed 20W 50 oil. I guess I was expecting a hot summer towing. I usually go with 15W40 in summer and in winter mix a gallon of 5w 30 with 15W40. Probably no scientific reason but it's what I do.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 02:11:36 pm by Don R »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1249 on: April 23, 2021, 07:29:08 pm »
i didnt want to buy another battery for my ride on mower so for the last year ive been swapping the honda battery between the two,its not hard and only takes a few minutes but as i have a spare car battery i thought id rig it up,not pretty but does the job,that battery is nearly six years old.

cant post a picture?it did happen!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 07:32:40 pm by dave500 »