Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 173965 times)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1275 on: May 15, 2021, 04:07:24 pm »
sometimes ours has a funny transmission hiccup,it shifts down for no reason,theres a multi pin plug going to it that gets dirty,once cleaned its back to normal,its hidden under the battery box youd never know its there.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1276 on: May 15, 2021, 04:09:56 pm »
Stripped interior of Firebird for major conversion from fugly to black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1277 on: May 15, 2021, 04:22:15 pm »
Looking good Joe, nice new black carpet? How are the floors, no rust? Beautiful car! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1278 on: May 15, 2021, 04:27:46 pm »
Hey Terry.  Nothing but minor surface rust. Going to sweep it tomorrow and do a closer inspection everywhere.

Yessir.  Black carpet with mass backing (extra rubber backing) for better heat and sound deadening.  Already had it laid out today in sun and it’s super nice compared to what I removed.

We were fine with how it was so can’t bring myself to put down dynamat or other butyl sticky pads.  They are a #$%* to remove if ever needed.

All new plastic trim.....and I’m painting some of the metal bits.

Seats will stay white for now.  And dashboard is a bigger project so will wait till after the season to pull it and restore.

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #1279 on: May 15, 2021, 04:30:38 pm »
That old carpet is definitely fugly. Refreshing an interior is very satisfying, you see it every time you drive it. I was really pleased after I did the interior on my 72' MGB- GT.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1280 on: May 15, 2021, 05:18:32 pm »
That old carpet is definitely fugly. Refreshing an interior is very satisfying, you see it every time you drive it. I was really pleased after I did the interior on my 72' MGB- GT.

I cant wait....I think the only reason this car stayed on the market for so long was because the interior was so awful.  The old carpet was so loose, thin and ill cut/fitting that this new stuff should be a massive improvement.  Also have a new Board Style Headliner on order (black).

Really wish I could pull and refinish the dashboard to black right now...but its just gonna have to wait.  I KNOW that when I pull it I will go down another rabbit hole of repair and replacement of tidbits.  Would rather wait till after the summer.

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1281 on: May 15, 2021, 06:14:24 pm »
Yep, and the smell of the new carpet alone is worth it! Have you seen the episode of "Top Gear" where they bought 3 used cars had some medical boffins take swabs of the upholstery and carpet to see what was in each car? All 3 had sperm, feces, pubic hairs and urine, not to mention snot (boogers) on the seats, consoles, carpet, steering wheel, etc. After watching that show, I bought my first new car........ ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1282 on: May 15, 2021, 06:27:09 pm »
Yep, and the smell of the new carpet alone is worth it! Have you seen the episode of "Top Gear" where they bought 3 used cars had some medical boffins take swabs of the upholstery and carpet to see what was in each car? All 3 had sperm, feces, pubic hairs and urine, not to mention snot (boogers) on the seats, consoles, carpet, steering wheel, etc. After watching that show, I bought my first new car........ ;D

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1283 on: May 15, 2021, 08:11:32 pm »
Yep, and the smell of the new carpet alone is worth it!
Refreshing an interior is very satisfying, you see it every time you drive it. I was really pleased after I did the interior on my 72' MGB- GT.

Really wish I could pull and refinish the dashboard to black right now...but its just gonna have to wait. 

Pulling the dash out of an old Chevy is not a fun job!  A couple years ago we did my Corvette...

PO had replaced the carpet but it was pretty dirty when I pulled the seats for new leather seat covers...

It was all worth it!

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1284 on: May 15, 2021, 08:15:44 pm »
Traded the red Tacoma...

for a silver Tacoma!

This one might be better in the snow next time?!  [snows here about every 5 years]

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1285 on: May 15, 2021, 10:33:08 pm »
Who makes Tacoma’s Steve? What are the specs? ;D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1286 on: May 16, 2021, 12:23:12 am »
mate bought a 1975 hj holden one tonner tray ute,has a 253 v8 and four speed,he brought it around this arvo,its quite nice with purple paint and white interiour(not my bag baby),we gave it a bit of a look over i suggested lets check the diff and gearbox oil level,#$%* me dead the diff was over full with water in the oil,gearbox was ok,hes gonna have to pull the axles end cover plate and kerosine blast it through,not on my driveway!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1287 on: May 16, 2021, 08:23:15 am »

They were made in Texas since 2010 but a new $13B plant was built in Mexico.

268hp and weighs 3000lbs so it is not fast!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1288 on: May 16, 2021, 01:41:55 pm »

268hp and weighs 3000lbs so it is not fast!

Oh Ok, it’s a Toyota? We don’t get them here, but they look pretty impressive! (Not as impressive as a CB450, of course) Is it diesel or petrol? (gas) my Ford Explorer with it’s little V6 diesel makes way less horsepower than your Toyota, (around 190 BHP) but has around 325 foot pounds of torque, so accelerates really well.

I broke the heart of an Italian guy driving a Mach 1 Mustang at the lights one day, we had a stop light drag, and the Territory pulled away from him, cloaking his ‘stang in a fog of diesel smoke. It’s also excellent on fuel, I use it mostly for country driving and can get 600 miles from a 70 litre (just short of 20 US gallon) tank. When I was working in Canberra (300 miles from home) I’d drive home every weekend and it was so good I could fill up in Canberra, drive to Melbourne, drive back to Canberra, run it to work and back Monday to Friday, then fill it up again for the trip to Melbourne.

It’s the only car I’ve ever bought new (well, I leased it, then paid the residual at thd end of the lease last year) and probably the best car I’ve owned, for long distance driving. ;D

Offline Cougars750F0

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1289 on: May 16, 2021, 01:47:55 pm »

268hp and weighs 3000lbs so it is not fast

3000lbs? Might be off a tad bit!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 01:54:46 pm by Cougars750F0 »
1970 Honda / Yoshimura 810 with ported head, 1968  Honda CB450 5 speed European model, 1973  Triumph Bonneville 750 twin carburetor model, 1975 Honda 750F0 Super Sport, 1977 Honda 750A

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1290 on: May 16, 2021, 06:14:09 pm »
 We took the dragster to Byron dragway for a test day, we didn't leave early which was good the track was wet and by the time it dried they realized the traction compound sprayer was broken, We finally got on track around 2 and made a pair of good runs, 8.97 on an 8.90 class index, then adjusted and went 8.79 on the second run. The best part was taking everything home intact. That's the first time in a couple years nothing broke or was found to be already broken when we got there. The mph went up to 173 plus with a tire pressure adjustment.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1291 on: May 16, 2021, 07:40:30 pm »
Nice Don,hope the daughter only has the lead foot on the strip...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #1292 on: May 17, 2021, 04:20:24 am »
Yesterday I almost lost a wheel on 64 Interstate.

It was longish trip, about 200 miles and on the way back, there was some noise from the LF wheel.  I stopped at a gas station, looked at it, checked pressure, figured there is a flat spot developing on  the tire and kept going.  Five miles later, noise intensified, so I pulled over and the LF wheel had no lug nuts and one of the studs broke off.

I feel really dumb.  First, I did not tighten the wheel enough after I checked brake pads the day before and even worse -  at the gas station I looked at the tire and did not see those missing lug nuts.  Idiot.  Luckily the hub never hit the ground and I was able to jack it up and use lug nuts from other wheels as temporary fix to get to Autozone.  Still need to replace the stud, but maybe I should buy a lottery ticket? 

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1293 on: May 17, 2021, 01:45:18 pm »

268hp and weighs 3500lbs so it is not fast!

Oh Ok, it’s a Toyota? We don’t get them here, but they look pretty impressive! (Not as impressive as a CB450, of course) Is it diesel or petrol?

Oh, yes it's a Toyota mid-size truck.  Petrol.    Called the Hilux in Oz....

https://www.toyota.com.au/hilux

And definitely not as impressive as a CB450!!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1294 on: May 17, 2021, 02:24:32 pm »
Oh Ok, I’ve had several Hilux “trucks” (work vehicles) over the years, good cars, not as comfy as the Fird Rangers I had (the Toyota suspension was super hard and the back seat was like a plank) but I thought the Tacoma was bigger than a Hilux with a V8 option? All ours are either 4 or 6 cylinder petrol or turbo diesels? And yes, not a patch on a CB450! ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1295 on: May 17, 2021, 04:25:38 pm »
Nice Don,hope the daughter only has the lead foot on the strip...
  She's always been slow on the street and fast on the track. Understands there is a time and a place. We went Sunday, it ran 8.97 and 8.87 after adjusting. The target is 8.90, you need to get to the stripe first but not go quicker than that. The mph was 171 and then 173 after a tire pressure adjustment.  Even slowed to run the 8.90 it pulled 2.5G's on the data recorder. The 2 speed auto trans slips about 5% at the finish line.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1296 on: May 18, 2021, 06:44:03 am »
... but I thought the Tacoma was bigger than a Hilux with a V8 option?

No, the Tacoma has either a I-4 or V6, mine has the 4.0L  V6.  20 miles/gallon

The larger Tundra has a V8, but it's a large truck that I dont want or need.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1297 on: May 18, 2021, 08:49:40 am »
 My son in law's Toyota truck had to get a new rear axle due to rustout. Now a couple years later, it's howling.  Frames rusted out too around the rust belt some dealers had piles of axles and frames out back.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1298 on: May 19, 2021, 03:32:04 am »
... but I thought the Tacoma was bigger than a Hilux with a V8 option?

No, the Tacoma has either a I-4 or V6, mine has the 4.0L  V6.  20 miles/gallon

The larger Tundra has a V8, but it's a large truck that I dont want or need.

Ah that's right, the Tundra! I saw an episode of the old "Top Gear USA" (I loved that show) and they had a Tundra in that, and yep, it was a much bigger truck. I think you guys nick named the Tacoma's "Tacos"?

My last "Taco" had a hydraulic tilting tray as I was working temporarily in Melbourne's Sanitation department as a "Rapid Response Operator" (i.e, I'd have to go pick up a possum, dog, or cat that had been run over, or pick up syringe's that were laying around the streets after some drug addicts had been shooting up, or pieces of busted car after car crashes etc) so I could drive to the dump and just back up, pull a lever, and the crap (and my brooms, shovels, buckets etc) would just slide down into the pit, never to be seen again. Great car, had the 185 KW (250 BHP) V6 engine, (and ran on both petrol and propane, but liked petrol way better) and I regularly left 1960's and '70's "Musclecars" in my wake at stoplight drag races.

By the time they caught up to me I was at the legal limit and they had to speed past me so as to show that their cars were better than my (Jap Crap) truck, and I saw one get booked by an unmarked highway patrol car a mile up the road from where he's finally passed me, which made me laugh. My Ford Ranger was much comfier and better on fuel though. ;D 

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1299 on: June 04, 2021, 11:04:22 pm »
well i thought id change the diff oil in my holden today,i had the diff rebuilt about a year n a half ago and this is its third change,thought id collect all the brake in fuzz on a magnet,well good thing i had a magnet in there it trapped this time what i think is a piece of pinion shim?its not noisey at all so i might leave it be?then again it looks like its done a loop around the crown wheel then the magnet grabbed it?might show the diff place even though its out of warranty now,i added another larger magnet this time,these are real strong suckers!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 11:12:13 pm by dave500 »