Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 173861 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1325 on: June 14, 2021, 09:20:37 pm »
 I checked batteries in the race car, trailer and the race car trailer's breakaway battery. I installed it in the burglar alarm that's been in the trailer for years and wired up a door switch. Dang thing works. It's as loud as heck. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1326 on: June 15, 2021, 04:42:00 am »
great swap!over here that would have to have an engineers report though to secure a road worthy and a modification plate attatched under the hood somewhere!
Yeah I've heard you guys have to deal with a lot of legal wrangling depending on the modification. I guess in a way it's a good thing because you'd be shocked if you saw what drivers can get away with here. My son essentially got a kit that gave him everything he needed to make it happen such as new engine cradle specifically for that engine swap, wiring harness and so on and it uses the Miata trans and rear end. The biggest issue he had was figuring out a way to cleanly rout the coolant lines, the Honda mini van the engine came out of was front wheel drive and with the engine mounted the way it is now means all the coolant line come from the back of the engine instead of the front.

Yeah, it depends on which state you live in. Here in Victoria you need to have engineer's certificates as Dave has mentioned, but as we don't have annual roadworthy inspections, you can pretty much get away with anything that you can hide beneath the bonnet, (hood) if you don't attract the attention of the cops.

I'm thinking about converting my dad's 37 year old Ford station wagon that is still in mint condition, but only has a 4.1 litre 6 cylinder engine, to a 5.4 litre V8 and associated running gear, once I swap the current registration across to the (over 25 years old) club permit scheme. I'll keep it looking stock standard, and it'll be fun to blow modern cars off the road. I'll keep it until I'm too old to drive, then it'll be up to my sons whether they keep it or send it off to the great scrap metal yard in the sky, or perhaps bury me in it. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1327 on: June 22, 2021, 03:32:05 pm »
New calipers and pads for my 2003 JEEP grand Cherokee. i buy the cheap rebuilds but really? 4 years and they seize up... On one side the phenolic piston was cracked. Getting good at it, done in two hours. no more grinding down the road and improved gas mileage!

A friend came by with his 1966 Mini Cooper S road car. he managed to break a few wheel studs (over torqued them) and no garage wanted to even look at it...... Next project.

Offline rb550four

• Master
  • I'm nobody's slave and nobody's master
« Reply #1328 on: June 22, 2021, 03:55:12 pm »
I pushed my daughter's truck into the shop and set her up on jack stands. This winter I changed out her starter and it just hasn't been consistantly engaging properly, so I slipped a shim under it. That didn't work either. Took that shim out and it never engaged again . I'm thinking the teeth must be ground off the flywheel. Pulled the inspection plate ,disconnected the battery and turned the engine at the crank and watched the moving flywheel for tooth damage. It went around slowly twice and there was no damage. Good ! I didn't want to pull the tranny on this rusty old truck anyways. So I headed back to NAPA , where I bought the first starter and traded it in for a different one because it must be that the starter was faulty and the gear didn't get sent out far enough to directly engage the flywheel teeth. Yup, that was the problem all along. Man was I glad that I didn't have to spend anymore time under that vehicle, that being on your back stuff was fine when I was younger but it's NFG for guys in their 60's. The vehicle has started every time so far, everybody happy.
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 
  550 Snowbike -Somebody had to do it.
  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,101678.0.html             
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,137317.msg1550907.html#msg1550907

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1329 on: June 22, 2021, 10:18:32 pm »
Yep, I'd rather just take my car to a shop nowadays mate, like you I'm sick of crawling around underneath cars.
Having said that, I wouldn't mind converting my automatic 1995 Subaru Liberty (Legacy in the US) to a manual gearbox, which would be way too expensive to have a shop do.

I've only done it once before, changing out a C4 auto behind a 302 Cleveland for a single rail box, and it was a full weekend's work, crawling around a baking hot concrete driveway, either under the dash or under the car with my brother in laws big scary looking dog crawling under the car and dropping his slobbery ball (rubber ball, not big hairy balls) on my chest so I'd throw it and he'd chase after it, and if I didn't want to play, he'd show me his teeth and growl at me until I wanted to play again, the big evil baastard. Geez, I think I just talked myself out of it!

Anyway, it was on the weekend, that I hopped on the train to Bairnsdale for the first time since 1980. The train trip was uneventful as the train was almost empty, but I had to wear a mask regardless, and the fcuking mask I had was such a tight fit that I'm sure I was breathing my own carbon dioxide, so by the time I got to Bairnsdale I'd had the fcuker on for 5.5 hours, and all I wanted to do was throw it away.

The reason for the trip was to collect my old Subaru. Some young d1ckhead crashed his Ford into my Mitsubishi outlander 2 weeks ago and it was written off by the insurance company, so I was gonna buy another used "Daily Driver" when my Ma (93 in August) told me that she'd been looking for an excuse to give the Subaru back to me, as she wasn't driving it and it was just collecting rust (well almost) sitting out the front of her place.

I gave the car to Ma in 2015 when I leased my shiny new Ford (my "Sunday Driver" car) so I was happy to have it back as it's still registered and insured in my name, and I was a tad worried about Ma driving, even though she's still got most of her marbles. I intended to fill it with fresh fuel but it was almost full with "God knows how old" fuel, it needed a litre of oil and the radiator topping up, but it was running fine. I drove it back to Melbourne the next morning, and enjoyed it's super low go kart style ride.

Of course after 6 years of sitting parked under trees, it was filthy, and as Ma had been taking her two dogs for drives in the countryside, the interior was filthy inside too, and smelt like wet dog. I took it to the car wash on Sunday but being a sunny day the wait for a wash bay was too long, so I went back on Monday, and had the whole carwash to myself. I scrubbed the crap off the car and especially under the boot (trunk) lid and bonnet (hood) blew the mud that had accumulated under both out, and was happy there were no rust holes. Gotta love Japanese cars, they're not rust buckets like Aussie cars of the era.

I used the big coin operated vacuum cleaner to suck up all the crap, dog hair, leaves, gravel etc out of the interior, and it started to look more like a daily driver, and less like an abandoned wreck. It still needs another 2 or 3 washes and a polish, and all the glass inside cleaned. Well it took 6 years to make it so bad, so I suppose I've got plenty of time to get it back to somewhere that I'll be happy with it. ;D

Bairnsdale Weekend 19-20 Jun 2021 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr     
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1330 on: June 28, 2021, 02:54:58 pm »
 I pulled off the Dragster's sniper efi and plated off the intake in prep for an intake vacuum test. The car keeps going faster every pass, great except then we are racing on an 8.90 index and most other cars there can run the number.  8.88 might be close enough for the driver to pedal a bit and close up the gap but 8.78 is just too quick to work with.  It's probably the efi tuning it but the last time we had this it was an intake gasket leak.
  The former owner of the car used to stand on the brakes and not lift the throttle to scrub off a few hundredths without his opponent hearing the change, but the new engine doesn't care much about brakes.   

Edit, tiny leak on the base gasket under the throttle body, not enough to cause major mixture issues. I got new gaskets anyway.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 08:30:27 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1331 on: June 28, 2021, 08:12:50 pm »
Dodged a bullet with our +20 year old 20 HP. SEARS lawn tractor. Tough old beast, started doing the hurky-jerky and wouldn’t climb a hill. Internet search on failing “hydrostatic” transmissions and thinking I was done (actually my wife uses it 95% of the time and treats it better than I would). Pulled the deck, crawled under and sure enough; “sealed for life” tranny..... BUT, the drive belt was stretched and flipped over. New belt and it runs like a champ! Gave it a real wash, scraped out the underside of the deck and sharpened the blades to celebrate. Phew! I just put two new tires on my Massey 135 so didn’t need to start looking at more stuff!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1332 on: June 28, 2021, 11:23:19 pm »
you can change hydrostatic trans fluid,you gotta remove it and turn upside down though!mine takes 20/50 motor oil.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1333 on: June 29, 2021, 12:52:09 pm »
you can change hydrostatic trans fluid,you gotta remove it and turn upside down though!mine takes 20/50 motor oil.

I read that! Fortunately the new belt was enough. Used it for over an hour yesterday and all good.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1334 on: July 02, 2021, 03:13:15 am »
too easy,i still dont like the idea of stinky old grey oil in a drive mechanism with a pump,youd never let your forks get so #$%*ty?mine feels like more solid drive with new oil?old oil with moisture etc goes against my better judgment.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1335 on: July 02, 2021, 07:08:44 am »
too easy,i still dont like the idea of stinky old grey oil in a drive mechanism with a pump,youd never let your forks get so #$%*ty?mine feels like more solid drive with new oil?old oil with moisture etc goes against my better judgment.

Dave..... I had a close look at mine. Of course there is no drain plug, but I think I can see a tiny vent hole up top. I may just have to tear it down and give it an oil change at the end of the season. Seems like such a daft arrangement!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1336 on: July 02, 2021, 02:22:11 pm »
yeah fill plug on top,might have an over flow type container aswell?you fill it to the top,circulate the oil by engaging fwd then rev over and over with the wheels off the ground,itll burp air,keep filling it to the top,also activate the dis engage lever to bleed through,bit of a mission all up.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1337 on: July 02, 2021, 05:27:04 pm »
yeah fill plug on top,might have an over flow type container aswell?you fill it to the top,circulate the oil by engaging fwd then rev over and over with the wheels off the ground,itll burp air,keep filling it to the top,also activate the dis engage lever to bleed through,bit of a mission all up.

I’ll give it a go! Thanks.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1338 on: July 02, 2021, 07:59:24 pm »
is it a hydrogear or tuff torque unit?if you ever take it apart you drill and tap for a drain plug,not much room for them.

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
    • old japanese parts and bikes
« Reply #1339 on: July 03, 2021, 08:30:38 pm »
Arghhhh. Changed the radiator thermostat on my Toyota Matrix. WHAT a pain. If ou don't have the right tools it's impossible, ;and you bettert have some small hands. :-)
Laugh at least once a day.
Life  $ucks, then you die.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
God forces us to live with  non-believers to test our resolve.

Offline rb550four

• Master
« Reply #1340 on: July 06, 2021, 07:55:31 pm »
Pulled my red 1990 350 duallie out of the weeds and into the garage. Rust  got to it . It's a longer wheel base Chassis cab, well it was. Today I pulled the nose off, unplugged the wiring harnesses, removed dash and everything else in the cab except the windshield . It all goes in another 350 dually chassis cab that will take an 8 foot box. I picked that one out of the junkyard that had a 79 650 waiting for me a while back . Did that body and frame over again, and it's been waiting for a transplant. It looks good now but the truck was an underpass truck with an 8 foot scissor platform and a massive pump on the pto. Got it running but it spent it's whole life in an 8 hour a day idle every day and it doesn't want to run smooth any where else but idle so I want to rebuild that motor and take my time on it , maybe do some upgrades for fun.
The red rusted  truck was my old tool truck wit 90 k in the engine and drivetrain, Last time I used it  I had a job in Louisiana , made it there and back no trouble but it would sway side to side a bit, so I took a look at her to see why ,and found that I could poke my fingers right through rusty frame in some spots. So I parked it then. This evening I flipped the cab into a trailer so it can go to it's final resting place. I'll clean the engine  while it's still in it's home craddle and transplant it after I drop in a new throwout bearing , clutch. starter and anything else I can change so I don't have to get under this truck again anytime soon, it's all much easier to do now with no body on it and swap it as a complete unit this week I hope.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 08:05:31 pm by rb550four »
A few Honda 500's, a few Honda 550's, a few Honda 650's, '72 cb 450, a couple 500/550/650 hybrids, and 2001 750. 

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1341 on: July 06, 2021, 11:37:24 pm »
Have you rebuilt the motor yet? Or, is that the job this week?
Be careful handling the heavy stuff, no injuries...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
« Reply #1342 on: July 07, 2021, 02:23:55 am »
aha! so that's why (probably) my Ariens isn't moving/running right. Thanks Dave i'll try that, ecept I hsve a hose and pump to drain the fluid IF the only way to drain it is from the top. Hopefully the old Ariens tractor S-140 Hydrostatic.

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
« Reply #1343 on: July 07, 2021, 02:29:12 am »
Cutting down a tree that was overhanging my new hot tub, while the wife pulled the chains attached to the tree with the Toyota Matric manual tranny. Didn't notice/hear her driving so (I was using the chainsaw)....now it seems the 1 year old clutch is burned out. ARRRggghhh!  I really need to buy a 4 wheel drive Matrix..

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1344 on: July 07, 2021, 10:35:15 am »
Cutting our own hay his summer. The fellow I race the MR2 Turbo with runs the garage in town, but also farms the property next to mine (and another one too!) He lends me the equipment and we share in the non existent “profits”. Keeps my farm status alive, with decent tax implications.

His HUGE Ford Tractor is almost new and every time  I use it, it’s like Christmas! But, the hay cutting machine is ancient. Badger BN1005 (same machine sold by Massey Ferguson and Vermeer). The offset con rod that drives the sickle bar was banging away and finally destroyed the end bushing and sheared a pretty large through bolt. Had to pull it right out, replace a bunch of teeth and hardware, now waiting for a $150 bushing! Nice working on something different.

He likes lending me stuff. “It always come back in better shape”........
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 10:42:35 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1345 on: July 07, 2021, 10:38:37 am »
Forgot..... here’s the “FUN FORD”. Have to climb a ladder to get into it! Air conditioned, multi speed, electronic transmission, and tons of stuff I don’t understand. There’s even a buddy seat (the one just inside the door), so my wife can get in a few laps. The pilot’s seat is “air ride”!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 02:05:27 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1346 on: July 07, 2021, 02:05:19 pm »
Putting up hay in July, the memories and scratched up forearms despite the light long sleeve work shirt...
The ice water or lemonade tasted so much better after that hot dusty work...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1347 on: July 07, 2021, 02:07:58 pm »
Putting up hay in July, the memories and scratched up forearms despite the light long sleeve work shirt...
The ice water or lemonade tasted so much better after that hot dusty work...

+1. We also still have a very old square baler. We make a few small ones for the local horse folks (including my buddies daughter).

Offline rb550four

• Master
« Reply #1348 on: July 09, 2021, 01:58:18 pm »
 Yesterday I managed to break off all of the exhaust pipe bolts at the manifold there was a crack in the left manifold that I didn't know about so off it goes.
Today  has been about drilling and tapping the broken manifold bolts  in the heads , thought they might have to go to the machine shop but I used the left hand drill bits and managed to get center on all of them. Tried the easy outs ....wasn't that easy so I went back to Napa and got the next size up and opened the holes up some more tried the easy out again. NFG, so I went up to the inner thread size drill bits and chased the old threads out with a tap then went through  the rest of them with a tap. took all day but for once they came out perfect. Took all that anti pollution crap off the 351 as it doesn't do anything but burn more fuel with the air pump  who's only reason for being is to pump air into the pipe to trick  and pass state emission tests. We don't test for that here so off it all went. did a quicky clean up and shot a few coats on the entire engine,let it dry and pulled it out of the frame. It's in the enine stand now and the ZF 5 speed is right next to it. Pressure plate is being resurfaced now so I 'll take the wife out to dinner from work this evening. She's gonna want to give me $heet about the trucks and junk in the drive. It' used to happen all the time  til I started working on Hondas, she likes that , the drive always looks decent and there"s always a place for her to park . More fun tomorrow with the junk yard truck.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1349 on: July 09, 2021, 06:56:58 pm »
i decided to swap the passenger and drivers seats over from side to side as the drivers one is getting a little saggy,really needs new front carpet its not expensive ill do it next time,only found one 5cent piece under the seats and believe it or not,no Mcdonalds 15 year old french fries!!thats gotta be a miracle?vacuumed and all done,thank #$%* for flat ratchet ring spanners.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 07:01:56 pm by dave500 »