Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 173714 times)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1425 on: September 20, 2021, 04:18:32 pm »
Better a bit of embarrassment and easy fix than stump the chump expensive one any day...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1426 on: September 22, 2021, 11:12:32 am »
Ran the valves and checked springs on the racecar, tip, always use the same feeler gauge. A different one will feel different even if it has the same numbers on it.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=r8lj9ggs5t4p8u16r24vg1ovt4&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #1427 on: September 22, 2021, 12:22:27 pm »
fixed the rusty panel end,on the crv..so wify is happy...think it are a 2001..but a nice old car
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1428 on: September 22, 2021, 02:50:26 pm »
fixed the rusty panel end,on the crv..so wify is happy...think it are a 2001..but a nice old car

Smart. “Happy Wife = Happy Life”.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1429 on: September 24, 2021, 08:23:40 pm »

Yep, those bland character-challenged cars real inner beauty is just how good they are. My recently deceased 2009 Mitsubishi Outlander died a violent death this year when an idiot doing a burnout lost control of his Ford and crashed into the Outlander parked outside my house at 1am. I never thought I could love it when I bought it as a cheap run around car, but it was so damn reliable and fuel efficient, that I did develop an attachment. Oh well, the insurance payout was more than I paid for the car 4 years ago, and paid for the CB750A and Suzuki T500 purchases. (not the build costs, obviously)

I've replaced it with the (equally "beige") 1995 Subaru Liberty AWD that I paid 500 bucks for in 2015, that just won't die, even during the last 5 years when my 93 year old Ma was driving it. My son is having a love/hate relationship with his twin turbo Subaru GT at the moment, it's full of "character" and an absolute weapon, on the rare occasions that it's running properly. I think I might buy it back from him..... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1430 on: September 26, 2021, 05:56:27 pm »
Spent the last few days prepping the Toyota MR2 Turbo race car for the last round of our endurance series. Double header at Calabogie, eight hour race, both days! Our Team member from Calgary can’t make it, so three drivers. 5+ hours in the car, crewing and refuelling all day...... Season 53 and I’m still loving it!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 05:59:32 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1431 on: September 26, 2021, 06:06:48 pm »
Yup.... these are the satisfying “finds”. The Volvo is not the most exciting car on the planet, but I’ve never owned one, and always liked this body style. My wife has booked us in for a 5 day bicycle tour (50 kilometres a day!) in the Laurentian mountains (Mont Tremblant, Quebec), next week. Going to take it for a longer test..... need to get the front end aligned first. The old RF tire had some deep wear on the inner tread strip.

UPDATE. Did the tires and alignment, then drove the Volvo C30 to St.Jerome, Quebec and back, last week. Ran like a top for +1000 kilometres. Has a small hesitation at high revs, so new plugs are next. Quiet, comfortable and quick too. My wife’s enjoying the manual ‘box and “sitting close to the ground”......... It was a very spontaneous buy, that has worked out well!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 06:16:07 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1432 on: September 27, 2021, 09:26:00 am »
 We ran the Dragster at Byron Il. It's been puling starting line wheelies. I can't seem to fix it, the wheelie it's self isn't an issue it's doing something off the starting line consistently. 28 cars in class. We made it down to 7 cars Saturday, Sunday we were #1 qualifier and got down to 4 cars before going out. We made back our entry fees and paid for the first two next year.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #1433 on: September 27, 2021, 10:02:51 am »
Yup.... these are the satisfying “finds”. The Volvo is not the most exciting car on the planet, but I’ve never owned one, and always liked this body style. My wife has booked us in for a 5 day bicycle tour (50 kilometres a day!) in the Laurentian mountains (Mont Tremblant, Quebec), next week. Going to take it for a longer test..... need to get the front end aligned first. The old RF tire had some deep wear on the inner tread strip.

UPDATE. Did the tires and alignment, then drove the Volvo C30 to St.Jerome, Quebec and back, last week. Ran like a top for +1000 kilometres. Has a small hesitation at high revs, so new plugs are next. Quiet, comfortable and quick too. My wife’s enjoying the manual ‘box and “sitting close to the ground”......... It was a very spontaneous buy, that has worked out well!

That one a type of hatchback ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1434 on: September 27, 2021, 05:32:34 pm »

C30 is an updated P1800..... two door, 4 bucket seats and a rear glass hatch. The rears fold down, so good touring car for two.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #1435 on: September 27, 2021, 07:32:19 pm »
We ran the Dragster at Byron Il. It's been puling starting line wheelies. I can't seem to fix it, the wheelie it's self isn't an issue it's doing something off the starting line consistently. 28 cars in class. We made it down to 7 cars Saturday, Sunday we were #1 qualifier and got down to 4 cars before going out. We made back our entry fees and paid for the first two next year.
That's a good day of racing, IMHO. ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1436 on: September 28, 2021, 07:52:41 am »
 Not mine,  but I'm going to help a friend work on his fiberglass 41 Willys frame, it's 2x3 tube and when he jacks it up under the front crossmember you can see the frame flex in relation to the body. We're going to add 2x3 crossmembers in a K shape with driveshaft loops. The trans mount is just a round tube with a tab welded to it. We may incorporate that into the K member.  I'm thinking adding a round tube in the engine bay going through the body at the firewall to a dash hoop would also add a lot of rigidity. I'm taking some catalogs to see what the pro's do.
 He doesn't want door bars due to leg issues getting in and out. 

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1437 on: September 28, 2021, 01:45:32 pm »

C30 is an updated P1800..... two door, 4 bucket seats and a rear glass hatch. The rears fold down, so good touring car for two.

Ah,that's very nice.  8) I love the look of the original P1800 even though it did have an odd shaped back window,imo.
I would love to own a P1800  :) and would enjoy the hatchback.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:20:14 pm by grcamna2 »

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1438 on: September 28, 2021, 08:27:59 pm »
There were three models of P1800, the P1800S, P1800E, and P1800ES. The ES is largely what the C30 is styled with similar design queues. It was a shooting brake, hatchback, model with the large distinctive rear glass hatch.
Then there was the early P1800 which was built/styled by Jensen and I don't remember if it was enough of a difference to be it's own model. They are akin to the sandcast models and are pretty rare.
A lot of P1800 owners were snobby and treated their cars like jewelry and I didn't like associating with them if they were like that... The VSA, Volvo Sport America club was full of owners like that and I steered clear of their meets and owners usually. The VCOA ( Volvo Club of America) and Volvo Club of Canada were a lot more fun. I used to trek up to Ilderton, ON when I lived in Ohio to the Canadian Volvo Club annual meet at Fred's Farm. It was a lot of fun and a family friendly event with Volvos of all models represented.
I drove and maintained 240 sedans and wagons (estates) for 26 years and owned a 122S two door which was mildly street rodded and a blast. Loved that car and rebuilt it and worked on just about every part pf that car during my ownership. It was rescued from ending up in a crusher and I should not have bought it, but saved for a better car...but doing that I wouldn't have had the adventures mine provided.

Bikes are far easier to deal with...

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1439 on: September 29, 2021, 07:37:09 am »
 I helped my friend swap out the fresh 10/10 under cast crank in his 350 for a new standard forged one. We did it with the heads on and pistons in with new bearings. It took some care but wasn't a big deal. He thought the 6-71 blower might require it.

Offline Cougars750F0

• Hot Shot
« Reply #1440 on: September 29, 2021, 09:21:51 am »
There were three models of P1800, the P1800S, P1800E, and P1800ES. The ES is largely what the C30 is styled with similar design queues. It was a shooting brake, hatchback, model with the large distinctive rear glass hatch.
Then there was the early P1800 which was built/styled by Jensen and I don't remember if it was enough of a difference to be it's own model. They are akin to the sandcast models and are pretty rare.
Love this retomod P1800ES
A lot of P1800 owners were snobby and treated their cars like jewelry and I didn't like associating with them if they were like that... The VSA, Volvo Sport America club was full of owners like that and I steered clear of their meets and owners usually. The VCOA ( Volvo Club of America) and Volvo Club of Canada were a lot more fun. I used to trek up to Ilderton, ON when I lived in Ohio to the Canadian Volvo Club annual meet at Fred's Farm. It was a lot of fun and a family friendly event with Volvos of all models represented.
I drove and maintained 240 sedans and wagons (estates) for 26 years and owned a 122S two door which was mildly street rodded and a blast. Loved that car and rebuilt it and worked on just about every part pf that car during my ownership. It was rescued from ending up in a crusher and I should not have bought it, but saved for a better car...but doing that I wouldn't have had the adventures mine provided.

1970 Honda / Yoshimura 810 with ported head, 1968  Honda CB450 5 speed European model, 1973  Triumph Bonneville 750 twin carburetor model, 1975 Honda 750F0 Super Sport, 1977 Honda 750A

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1441 on: September 29, 2021, 03:17:07 pm »
Love this retomod P1800ES

Nice car !  8) 8)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1442 on: October 01, 2021, 01:16:21 pm »
 We caught up with one on I74 this week. I told my wife how cool it is.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1443 on: October 01, 2021, 04:06:32 pm »
I was always trying to understand how they came-up with that "shooting brake" style/name?? designation? I never heard of that until now.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1444 on: October 02, 2021, 04:05:00 am »
Shooting brake = British name for the design... Essentially a hatchback...extended roofline 2 door design.  Estate is what Americans call a station wagon.
Very old names with some dating back to horse and buggy days.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1445 on: October 04, 2021, 06:40:07 am »
Shooting brake = British name for the design... Essentially a hatchback...extended roofline 2 door design.  Estate is what Americans call a station wagon.

Correct! A “ shooting brake” was the wagon that held the gun rack and supplies for a day of hunting. In Britain, the “Estate Car” is a 4 door and the “Shooting Brake” is a 2 door…… who cares?

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1446 on: October 04, 2021, 08:50:18 am »

Correct! A “ shooting brake” was the wagon that held the gun rack and supplies for a day of hunting. In Britain, the “Estate Car” is a 4 door and the “Shooting Brake” is a 2 door…… who cares?
I watched the "news of the world" movie and the main characters got a wagon from a friend, the friend  told them it "runs good"  That's probably a hint where the term came from meaning the wagon tracked good when the horse was running. 

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1447 on: October 04, 2021, 11:51:55 am »

I imagined that somehow "shooting brake" might have to do when your brakes are shot  ::) :D Might as well take out the shotgun and finish them off. Lol  Duhh  :D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1448 on: October 12, 2021, 08:57:49 am »
 I made arrangements to get my cracked CFE cylinder head repaired. It's one I replaced off of my dragster. This will make a set that can be used on a spare motor or sold. The dragster's motor is serviced and almost ready for winter, I'll leave it in the stored trailer again this year.
   The dually still needs the new brake lines installed which requires lifting or removing the bed. GM used bare metal tubing on these trucks. Corners were cut and no recalls were ever issued, I'm no longer a fan of one brand over another. When they had piston slap, the cylinder to piston clearance was removed from the spec books.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1449 on: October 12, 2021, 12:35:14 pm »
GM really is not a company I would ever buy from again...