Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 173254 times)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1550 on: December 27, 2021, 08:09:25 am »
Just like Chevy's Avalanche, the bit behind the cab is to improve fuel economy at expense of pure ugly stick being welded to thedesign...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #1551 on: December 27, 2021, 08:20:06 am »
The worst part of the Ridgeline is the fact that if you get a flat with stuff in the bed you have to unload it to get to the spare tire. When the Ridgeline was new I asked the salesman at the International Car Show that was trying to sell a group of people on it if he knew. He didn't and the group started asking questions about it. I'm such a trouble maker. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #1552 on: December 27, 2021, 08:51:34 am »
I'm thinking of backing out of the purchase. My wife has had a mental breakdown ( I think) over Christmas.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1553 on: December 27, 2021, 09:57:44 am »
Cliff, hope the wife is ok or will be soon...holidays are really stressful time of year.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #1554 on: December 27, 2021, 02:30:49 pm »
Cliff, hope the wife is ok or will be soon...holidays are really stressful time of year.

I hope she keeps receiving all the unconditional love and acceptance as you can give  ;)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1555 on: December 27, 2021, 02:39:49 pm »
i thought that , then scrolled down and terry had said it .

Yep, no offence to Cliff, but what the hell were Honda’s designers thinking? It must look the same coming as it does going! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1556 on: December 27, 2021, 02:52:36 pm »
I'm thinking of backing out of the purchase. My wife has had a mental breakdown ( I think) over Christmas.

Speedy recovery.... a friend has one for many years and always calls his Ridgeline “his most valued possession”. I’ve been in it, and am always impressed.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1557 on: December 27, 2021, 04:33:26 pm »

Sorry about your missus Cliff, all the best mate.
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1558 on: December 28, 2021, 10:30:35 am »
I'm typically a car guy

Cars, bikes, boats, anything with a motor, right?!!!   We recently bought this Mach 1 from my brother, he hadnt driven it in 5 years, finally convinced him to sell!

Beautiful car! I love my Fords but I'd be just as happy working on chevy or dodge.

Thanks.
I love my "old Chevy" too!

Drove it a couple weeks ago on a group drive, was making an odd noise when I stepped on the brake pedal.
Need to check the right, front caliper.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1559 on: December 28, 2021, 10:52:40 am »
I'm typically a car guy
Cars, bikes, boats, anything with a motor, right?!!!   We recently bought this Mach 1 from my brother, he hadnt driven it in 5 years, finally convinced him to sell!

Stev-o,is that a 70' or 71' Mach 1? 351 Cleveland or Windsor ?

Hey Bill...it's a '69, you can tell by the [fake] air scoop behind the drivers door and 4 headlights, both are 1 year only items.

The engine is a 351 Windsor, the Cleveland was not available 'til 1970. 

But it is not stock, it has aftermarket cam, aluminum heads and MSD ignition.  Also has a huge Holley Demon carb and K&N filter. But that carb is more for suited drag racing than "road racing" around the Hills in my area.  It has a flat spot around 70mph that irritates me [kind of like a Honda with pods!]. My buddy is a very good mechanic, has helped me fine tune it, he is now suggesting to replace the carb with an Edelbrock 650.
And engine needs to be cleaned!

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1560 on: December 28, 2021, 11:35:57 am »
I'm typically a car guy

Stev-o,is that a 70' or 71' Mach 1? 351 Cleveland or Windsor ?

Hey Bill...it's a '69, you can tell by the [fake] air scoop behind the drivers door and 4 headlights, both are 1 year only items.

The engine is a 351 Windsor, the Cleveland was not available 'til 1970. 

But it is not stock, it has aftermarket cam, aluminum heads and MSD ignition.  Also has a huge Holley Demon carb and K&N filter. But that carb is more for suited drag racing than "road racing" around the Hills in my area.  It has a flat spot around 70mph that irritates me [kind of like a Honda with pods!]. My buddy is a very good mechanic, has helped me fine tune it, he is now suggesting to replace the carb with an Edelbrock 650.
And engine needs to be cleaned!

Stev-o,I had a 69' Mercury Cougar w/ a 351 Windsor:it had 10.7 C:R,4bbl carb and was 290HP stock.
I imagine your engine will respond very nicely to a Spreadbore carburetor(similar to a Rochester Quadrajet style)which has small primaries and huge secondaries.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1561 on: December 28, 2021, 11:53:18 am »

Stev-o,I had a 69' Mercury Cougar w/ a 351 Windsor:it had 10.7 C:R,4bbl carb and was 290HP stock.
I imagine your engine will respond very nicely to a Spreadbore carburetor(similar to a Rochester Quadrajet style)which has small primaries and huge secondaries.

Sounds like a nice car!  Bet you wish you still had it. 

Yes, the Windsor reportedly was 290hp stock, but it is widely known that the manufacturers were down playing the hp ratings back then as insurance for the muscle cars was getting expensive.

https://www.mustangspecs.com/1969-mustang-engine-351-v8-windsor/

I'd "butt dyno" the Mustang at 325-350hp, which sounds good [literally!] but not really much compared to modern cars. [my wife's 370Z came stock with a 337hp V-6]

But...I love the design of the car, IMO the best year for Mustang. 

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #1562 on: December 28, 2021, 03:53:32 pm »

A beautiful car for sure.  The '65 fastback is my favorite personally, but I am a simple soul. ;D
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1563 on: December 28, 2021, 04:03:44 pm »
  I bent some suspension bars for my buddy's 41 Willys project. It's nice to use my bender for the first time since I helped rebuild a couple Top Alcohol Funnycars. I got the WD40 out and lubed the dies and dripped some air tool oil in the air/hydraulic cylinder.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1564 on: December 28, 2021, 04:46:19 pm »

A beautiful car for sure.  The '65 fastback is my favorite personally, but I am a simple soul. ;D

+1 Greg, I love all the 60's and 70's Mustang's (but definitely none off the 80's, they were foul) but the early fastbacks were beautiful. ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1565 on: December 28, 2021, 05:00:37 pm »
 A friend won a new 69? maybe, mustang fastback racing slot cars. It was a giant turd. I later read Ford would use re-furbished torture test cars for the giveaway vehicles.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1566 on: December 28, 2021, 05:04:11 pm »
A friend won a new 69? maybe, mustang fastback racing slot cars. It was a giant turd. I later read Ford would use re-furbished torture test cars for the giveaway vehicles.

Ha ha, having seen some evidence of Ford's less than scrupulous business dealings over the years Don, I'm not surprised at all. I still love Fords, but I had one that was definitely a turd back in the 80's, so I can believe it. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1567 on: December 28, 2021, 06:40:36 pm »

Yes, the Windsor reportedly was 290hp stock, but it is widely known that the manufacturers were down playing the hp ratings back then as insurance for the muscle cars was getting expensive.

https://www.mustangspecs.com/1969-mustang-engine-351-v8-windsor/

I'd "butt dyno" the Mustang at 325-350hp, which sounds good [literally!] but not really much compared to modern cars. [my wife's 370Z came stock with a 337hp V-6]

I had my stock cast iron heads done(valve job)then purchased some alumi-coat decent headers for it and purchased an Edelbrock manifold and I then installed the new Holley 'Spreadbore' carburetor on it.
I think it needed a different(dual plane?)intake manifold(it had the stock cam)because I lost some low-midrange power with the change-over from stock.I had a set of 15" rear wheels and it had 2.79 differential gears.. Hi-way gears.This was back in the early 80's,I wish I took a picture of it as it was originally a Ca. car and was owned by a man who had parked it for a few years.The paint was a turquoise color and I don't think it was stock.
I had to sell it at a huge loss because I was moving and dead-broke at the time.This guy who I was working with in an auto repair shop really took advantage of my situation;I thought he was my pal and said I'd sell it to him for that dirt-cheap price if he agreed to sell it back to me when I got back from FL...  >:(  he went on to corrupt my younger brothers(drugs,etc.)who moved to that island at a later time.I owe that guy some pay-back  >:(  Big Time !

I'd love to get another one someday.  :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 06:47:22 pm by grcamna2 »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1568 on: December 29, 2021, 08:22:33 am »

Hey Greg...I love the early Fastbacks as well, you would not believe what they are selling for these days.

"Back in the Day", my Dad had a '67 Fastback [289 three-speed] as his daily driver to the Ford plant where he worked. Back then, cars were kept 2-3 years and then sold or traded. It went to my older sister as I was not near driving age yet.  She had it for a couple years 'til my Dad persuaded her to sell it and wait for it...buy a new Pinto!  What a mistake, imagine going from a V8 Mustang to an I-4 Pinto with an auto trans to boot? What a dog, she hated it and ended up trading it for a nice '75 Firebird!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1569 on: December 29, 2021, 08:30:21 am »
Stev-o,I had a 69' Mercury Cougar

Hey ya go Bill, no time better than the present time!

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/rio-linda-1969-cougar-xr7possible-trade/7424743789.html

Seems reasonably priced and not too far from you!  Call him!!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1570 on: December 29, 2021, 11:06:37 am »

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/rio-linda-1969-cougar-xr7possible-trade/7424743789.html

That's a nice looking car Steve;the sunroof is a good factory option.
The one I had also had the horn built into the inside edge of the steering wheel:just squeeze the wheel a little to hard.. I was always hitting the horn by mistake  :D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:34:25 pm by grcamna2 »

Offline Shopdog

• Enthusiast
« Reply #1571 on: December 29, 2021, 03:27:35 pm »
I just sold a 67 cougar a couple years ago. It was a pretty rough project car and I just had too many irons in the fire, so I sold it. I had planned a 351 Cleveland and 4 spd toploader. Here in the rust belt, solid examples are getting hard to find.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1572 on: December 29, 2021, 08:05:17 pm »
I have a hope to someday get that particular 1969 Mercury Cougar XR7 351W 4bbl(I had the car half restored and my Grandmother contributed $ to me for some of it:it's got special signifigance)back from whom that man sold it to in 1982'.This was on Martha's Vineyard Island so it's remotely possible that it may still be on the island.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1573 on: December 29, 2021, 09:38:08 pm »

That Cougar looks magnificent! I think the sunroof needs some adjusting though, looks wonky in one corner? ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1574 on: December 29, 2021, 10:36:27 pm »
Terry,this 69' Cougar XR7 for sale in Sacramento on Craigslist does need a good bit of TLC.