Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 172898 times)

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1700 on: March 30, 2022, 08:36:11 pm »
Buddy came over today in my civic to replace the wheel bearing. He's been having off and on car trouble and can't really afford a second car or to keep his on the road. So I loaned him mine.
We threw it on today and chatted a bit.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1701 on: April 04, 2022, 10:06:41 am »
Picked up the “new” race car on Sunday. Needs new tires, belts, window net and fire system. It hasn’t been raced for several years, so lots to go through. 3 litre six, six speed Getrag g’box. Huge Brembo Brakes, Tundra driveshaft and rear end. LSD. Should be fun! First race in two weeks, at Mosport. Test Day Saturday, 8 hour race Sunday!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:03:19 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #1702 on: April 04, 2022, 10:54:18 am »
My son gave us a set of wheels with all season tires on them for my wife's Honda CRV. Had them put on on Friday. Looks good I think.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #1703 on: April 04, 2022, 10:56:04 am »
Good looking SUV.
The CRV is already gone ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #1704 on: April 04, 2022, 11:04:04 am »
Nope, parked out front of the house now.Or did you mean the Ridgeline? Still have it too.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1705 on: April 04, 2022, 02:46:34 pm »
Oh,sorry my misunderstanding.  :)

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1706 on: April 07, 2022, 02:43:03 pm »
I’ve decided that I need a small pickup truck for picking up bikes and parts, taking crap to the dump, etc so after work this afternoon I’m going to go look at an old Ford Courier (Mazda clone) that doesn’t look like it’s completely buggared. It needs a bumper and a tail pipe, but otherwise doesn’t look too bad. Hopefully it’ll meet expectations and I’ll be driving it home. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Prospect

• Expert
« Reply #1707 on: April 07, 2022, 02:51:05 pm »
You really know how to stay busy in your retirement years. Well done.
Picked up the “new” race car on Sunday. Needs new tires, belts, window net and fire system. It hasn’t been raced for several years, so lots to go through. 3 litre six, six speed Getrag g’box. Huge Brembo Brakes, Tundra driveshaft and rear end. LSD. Should be fun! First race in two weeks, at Mosport. Test Day Saturday, 8 hour race Sunday!
Current Bikes

1969 CB750  Sandcast #256
1971 CB750K1
1972 CB750K1
1975 CB400F
1975 GL1000 Goldwing
1954 Harley Davidson Panhead
1957 Harley Davidson Panhead

Toronto Canada

Offline markmyodb

• Honda owner since 1969. 19 Honda motorcyles, cars, and lawn mowers through the years!
  • Enthusiast
  • Always looking for SOHC people to ride with in NC
« Reply #1708 on: April 07, 2022, 04:25:49 pm »
Today I fabricated the support & pivot for my Massey Ferguson tractor. to switch from backhoe operation to tractor operation required a PIA seat flip.  Now I can just flip one up, flip one down.

about 30 bucks worth of steel, ridiculous but its 2022 I guess.

Along with to my CB750, the little MF is a "favorite" toy. 
I tell my wife the motorcycles are an investment...

CB550K1: 1975
CB750K6: 1976

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1709 on: April 07, 2022, 05:46:28 pm »

We’ve been working on the car non stop, since Saturday. It was built by a Team of engineers at Lexus, that raced on weekends. Three cars were built at the same time, from raw steel bodies. Superb engineering, using a mix of parts from Toyota cars and trucks. Lots of purpose built race bits too. The straight six is from a Supra and despite only minor tuning, makes excellent HP and massive torque. Should be a very fun ride. I usually managed to turn the fastest lap, most days in the MR2. Looking forward to doing the same in this little beast. This will be season 53 and I’m still getting excited!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 05:48:30 pm by BenelliSEI »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1710 on: April 07, 2022, 07:32:09 pm »

We’ve been working on the car non stop, since Saturday. It was built by a Team of engineers at Lexus, that raced on weekends. Three cars were built at the same time, from raw steel bodies. Superb engineering, using a mix of parts from Toyota cars and trucks. Lots of purpose built race bits too. The straight six is from a Supra and despite only minor tuning, makes excellent HP and massive torque. Should be a very fun ride. I usually managed to turn the fastest lap, most days in the MR2. Looking forward to doing the same in this little beast. This will be season 53 and I’m still getting excited!

That’s a wicked looking car John, a friend of mine had a BMW M5 back in the 90’s and I couldn’t believe how quick it was, but I’m guessing that thing is faster again. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1711 on: April 07, 2022, 09:07:14 pm »

That’s a wicked looking car John, a friend of mine had a BMW M5 back in the 90’s and I couldn’t believe how quick it was, but I’m guessing that thing is faster again. ;D

Thanks! Still lots of prep to finish. Will report performance in 10 days.....

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=ua850v28jvtdjkplt0m8uh6j12&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #1712 on: April 11, 2022, 09:27:54 am »
start to, put my 95 hilux back together..
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1713 on: April 11, 2022, 12:01:06 pm »

Good quality restoration  8)

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #1714 on: April 12, 2022, 04:23:32 am »
Put a rotor button in my 61 GMC.
Gotta wait on the cap. Hoping that solves my weak fire and random misfire. If not not points and guessing at the dwell.
Had it running great it sat fall and winter. Inside of the cap and the button looked pretty corroded. The point looked good but cleaned it up for good measure.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #1715 on: April 14, 2022, 08:03:45 pm »
The '04 Chevy pickup I bought a couple of months ago didn't have cruise control, but after doing research on the web, I found that on the models with the fly-by-wire throttles, the cruise control was pre-wired in the harness and the program was already in the computer. All I had to do was replace the non-cruise turn signal switch with a cruise version; it was truly plug-and-play! ;D The hardest part of the job was snapping the plastic covers back in place over the steering column, which I struggled with for far more time than actually changing the switch. ;) The switch cost $28 at U-Pick-It just a few miles down the road, and there was a $3 core charge, which I'll get back if I return the old one...   
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1716 on: April 14, 2022, 09:22:02 pm »

Good job mate, how did you lift the body off it? ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1717 on: April 15, 2022, 01:59:40 am »
John, nice looking race car...what is it, Toyota/Lexus...

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=ua850v28jvtdjkplt0m8uh6j12&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #1718 on: April 15, 2022, 01:08:56 pm »

Good job mate, how did you lift the body off it? ;D my ferguson b 50....1974 does the job... ::) 8)..had just one problem....the spedo cabel..got a bit longer,,after pulled it for some meters...

« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 01:12:52 pm by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1719 on: April 15, 2022, 05:54:29 pm »

Good job mate, how did you lift the body off it? ;D my ferguson b 50....1974 does the job... ::) 8)..had just one problem....the spedo cabel..got a bit longer,,after pulled it for some meters...

Ha ha, good job Lars, I'm looking to buy a small jap pickup like a Hilux or a Mazda, Mitsubishi etc, and the biggest concern I have is buying a good looking one, with a rusty chassis. We don't have salt on our roads because we don't have snow, but a lot of folks use them to tow boats or jet skis and so some get dunked in salt water. ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1720 on: April 16, 2022, 02:57:58 am »
The '04 Chevy pickup I bought a couple of months ago didn't have cruise control, but after doing research on the web, I found that on the models with the fly-by-wire throttles, the cruise control was pre-wired in the harness and the program was already in the computer. All I had to do was replace the non-cruise turn signal switch with a cruise version; it was truly plug-and-play! ;D The hardest part of the job was snapping the plastic covers back in place over the steering column, which I struggled with for far more time than actually changing the switch. ;) The switch cost $28 at U-Pick-It just a few miles down the road, and there was a $3 core charge, which I'll get back if I return the old one...   

that’s cool Scott!
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1721 on: April 17, 2022, 08:41:22 pm »
ive been meaning for years to repaint the centres of my old mag wheels,seeing i love that wrinkle paint so much and got heaps left i decided to do them over a few beers,they were a wrinkle finish anyway and the actual metal has that effect aswell,gotta get new caps if i can find them,theyve looked shabby for years aswell and now let the whole look down?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 08:46:44 pm by dave500 »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1722 on: April 17, 2022, 10:13:35 pm »
Dave,you do keep those mag wheels shining  8)

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #1723 on: April 17, 2022, 10:42:08 pm »
Yesterday I went back to the wreckers and returned my old turn signal switch for the $3 core charge, and gave back $2 for the entrance fee to the yard. They have a computerized interchange system, and can give you a list of vehicles in the yard with the part in common and the approximate location in the yard, which was a great help finding the turn signal switch, since it was used on so many models.
This time I found a Chevy factory receiver hitch that was already unbolted and in the bed of the truck (I made a cardboard template with the spacing of the mounting holes on my truck's frame to check the fit), and a trailer light socket to replace the smashed one that came with the truck. At first, I was told the price for the hitch would be about $56, but after finally hauling back to the office and talking a bit with the young man in charge, who was really pretty cool despite his multiple facile piercings, the price dropped to $46, including the light socket, which was now part of the hitch. ;) He also talked me out of the "warranty". ;D ;D ::)     
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1724 on: April 18, 2022, 02:22:50 am »
Well I'm officially a "Truck Driving Man" and I picture myself cruising down the highway, looking for motorcycle and parts bargains. I've wanted a little pickup truck forever, so while trawling thru FB Marketplace today found this old Mitsubishi Triton in nice clean overall condition, apart from a few little things that I'll need to get sorted. After looking for the last couple of weeks at some absolute piles of sh1t for more money than this one was going for, I decided that it was just what I needed, and didn't try to barter on the price, I just handed him the cash.

The seller is a Lebanese ("Lebo" here in Oz) dude who seemed to have a cigarette in his mouth the whole time I was with him, so while the interior is pretty tidy for a truck this old (25 years) it stinks inside, so I think I'll pony up the dough to get it detailed inside, get the seats steam cleaned, and make it smell cigarette-neutral, I can still smell cigarettes on me 2 hours after driving it home. Apart from that, it's a neat little truck. ;D

Terry's Triton 18 Apr 2022 8 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr   

Terry's Triton 18 Apr 2022 6 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr