Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 172759 times)

ken65

Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1725 on: April 18, 2022, 02:32:35 am »
Good one. That's exactly what I want. Good price??

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1726 on: April 18, 2022, 02:39:19 am »
Thanks Ken, 226000 Km (way better than 300-400K Km for most of the newer ones I saw) and looks like it's had a respray recently, so a bargain for $3500 with 3 months rego. I need to get the RWC but am happy to spend as much as another $2K for whatever it needs, but I don't think it'll need much. I'm picking up 4 OEM rims for $50 tomorrow, and I'll get new tyres (cheapies) installed, get it cleaned (pongs of durries) and get some new wiper rubbers, a wheel alignment and a good service, and I still think it'll still be a cheap little truck. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

ken65

« Reply #1727 on: April 18, 2022, 03:05:08 am »
Thanks Ken, 226000 Km (way better than 300-400K Km for most of the newer ones I saw) and looks like it's had a respray recently, so a bargain for $3500 with 3 months rego. I need to get the RWC but am happy to spend as much as another $2K for whatever it needs, but I don't think it'll need much. I'm picking up 4 OEM rims for $50 tomorrow, and I'll get new tyres (cheapies) installed, get it cleaned (pongs of durries) and get some new wiper rubbers, a wheel alignment and a good service, and I still think it'll still be a cheap little truck. ;D

Thats sweet Terry. Same price for one up here that's just had a engine/clutch and gearbox freshen up.  Got no money. Bugger. Am servicing the Blue busa at the moment and just might sell it.

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #1728 on: April 18, 2022, 08:33:14 am »
Well I'm officially a "Truck Driving Man" and I picture myself cruising down the highway, looking for motorcycle and parts bargains. I've wanted a little pickup truck forever, so while trawling thru FB Marketplace today found this old Mitsubishi Triton in nice clean overall condition, apart from a few little things that I'll need to get sorted. After looking for the last couple of weeks at some absolute piles of sh1t for more money than this one was going for, I decided that it was just what I needed, and didn't try to barter on the price, I just handed him the cash.

The seller is a Lebanese ("Lebo" here in Oz) dude who seemed to have a cigarette in his mouth the whole time I was with him, so while the interior is pretty tidy for a truck this old (25 years) it stinks inside, so I think I'll pony up the dough to get it detailed inside, get the seats steam cleaned, and make it smell cigarette-neutral, I can still smell cigarettes on me 2 hours after driving it home. Apart from that, it's a neat little truck. ;D

Terry's Triton 18 Apr 2022 8 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr   

Terry's Triton 18 Apr 2022 6 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

That Mitsubishi looks like a decent little truck Terry.
I imagine now you'll get a pair of good ramps.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1729 on: April 18, 2022, 02:42:49 pm »

Thats sweet Terry. Same price for one up here that's just had a engine/clutch and gearbox freshen up.  Got no money. Bugger. Am servicing the Blue busa at the moment and just might sell it.

No worries Ken, are you selling the gen1 ‘Busa, or the other one? Either way you should have no problems selling either bike, they’re both immaculate. Now that I’ve finally got a truck I’ll be able to do some road trips interstate to collect bikes if I don’t feel like risking riding them and possibly causing major damage to bikes that I buy, like my poor old BMW that’s waiting to be towed away to be assessed, and probably never to be seen again….. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1730 on: April 18, 2022, 03:34:43 pm »
Well I'm officially a "Truck Driving Man" and I picture myself cruising down the highway, looking for motorcycle and parts bargains. I've wanted a little pickup truck forever, so while trawling thru FB Marketplace today found this old Mitsubishi Triton in nice clean overall condition, apart from a few little things that I'll need to get sorted. After looking for the last couple of weeks at some absolute piles of sh1t for more money than this one was going for, I decided that it was just what I needed, and didn't try to barter on the price, I just handed him the cash.

The seller is a Lebanese ("Lebo" here in Oz) dude who seemed to have a cigarette in his mouth the whole time I was with him, so while the interior is pretty tidy for a truck this old (25 years) it stinks inside, so I think I'll pony up the dough to get it detailed inside, get the seats steam cleaned, and make it smell cigarette-neutral, I can still smell cigarettes on me 2 hours after driving it home. Apart from that, it's a neat little truck. ;D

Thanks Bill, well what I’m actually thinking about is a device I saw at a bike show years ago that lifts the bike onto the tray of the little truck? I’ll have to find the Youtube video that I was fascinated with a few years ago, but basically you push the bike into a cradle on the ground and strap it down, then press a button on a remote and it pulls the bike onto the tray, then from memory you just slide it off at the other end? As I’ve bought this ute (truck) specifically for bike transportation I’ll bolt it in place and leave it there. ;D

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1731 on: April 18, 2022, 03:42:55 pm »

Thanks Bill, well what I’m actually thinking about is a device I saw at a bike show years ago that lifts the bike onto the tray of the little truck? I’ll have to find the Youtube video that I was fascinated with a few years ago, but basically you push the bike into a cradle on the ground and strap it down, then press a button on a remote and it pulls the bike onto the tray, then from memory you just slide it off at the other end? As I’ve bought this ute (truck) specifically for bike transportation I’ll bolt it in place and leave it there. ;D

Terry,then you'll have a small crane mounted on the bed of the ute ?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1732 on: April 18, 2022, 03:55:11 pm »
No not a crane Bill, sort of a sliding metal framework, I think it’s got a small electric winch that pulls the frame up onto the trucks bed. ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1733 on: April 18, 2022, 09:15:40 pm »
 That's a tall bed, be sure to remove any windshields. I snapped one off my Windjammer towing on a trailer and the Honda Pacific Coast MoMo had me recover from the shipper's house was missing its windshield for the same reason.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1734 on: April 18, 2022, 11:11:49 pm »
I spent most of my day at work looking at pics of motorcycle loading systems and I've decided to build my own "Terry Built" motorcycle loader. I bought an Ebay 4500 pound cordless remote winch  and tomorrow I'm gonna go buy some steel channel, angle iron, wheels, bolts and other hardware, and some cutting discs for my cutoff saw and angle grinder.

I love making stuff, and if it actually works as well as I hope, it'll be a great help, I've got decent ramps but a lot of the bikes that I buy are non runners, so I'm not looking forward to loading them by hand, especially on horrible wet days like today. ;D 

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1735 on: April 19, 2022, 07:47:29 am »
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1736 on: April 19, 2022, 09:25:34 am »
I spent most of my day at work looking at pics of motorcycle loading systems and I've decided to build my own "Terry Built" motorcycle loader. I bought an Ebay 4500 pound cordless remote winch  and tomorrow I'm gonna go buy some steel channel, angle iron, wheels, bolts and other hardware, and some cutting discs for my cutoff saw and angle grinder.

I love making stuff, and if it actually works as well as I hope, it'll be a great help, I've got decent ramps but a lot of the bikes that I buy are non runners, so I'm not looking forward to loading them by hand, especially on horrible wet days like today. ;D

Terry,it might be interesting if you were able to design and install that "Terry Built" loading system to become applicable to lift and carry 2 motorcycles up onto the bed of your truck.I would imagine there could be a single horizontal round,etc. 'sliding support beam'? at the front of the truck bed to which you could connect the lift system;might possibly lift one bike up to the left side of the bed,then slide the removable lift assembly over to the right side and pull another motorcycle up onto that right side of the truck bed:it could be 'quite a haul'  ::)  :D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:32:26 am by grcamna2 »

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #1737 on: April 19, 2022, 09:27:12 am »
We resurrected an old golf cart trailer. It's a tilt bed and easy to load a dead bike onto. I rewired it, installed better lights and a wheel chock.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:30:27 am by Kelly E »
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1738 on: April 19, 2022, 04:46:53 pm »
We had our first race weekend at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park), and survived! Temperatures were barely above freezing and Sunday at 7:00am we had a 1/2” of fresh snow! Fortunately the sun came out and it disappeared quickly.

“Test and Tune” went well on Saturday. Sunday was the first points event, a full 8 hour enduro. Our Calgary driver missed the event, so three of us got some extra seat time. The power steering and brakes in the Lexus were a first for me, and took some getting used too. The car is incredibly comfortable, and fast. I did over 130 laps during the weekend!

Despite the cold, we ran well and finished 2nd in GT2 with the “new to us” Lexus. Our smaller Toyota Echo lost third gear early, but soldiered on to a well deserved 2nd in GT3!

P.S. Despite being the most “senior member” of the team, I did manage to set fastest lap.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 04:49:31 pm by BenelliSEI »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1739 on: April 19, 2022, 05:13:44 pm »
Looks good Kelly, but I hate towing trailers, they’re a pain in the arse to park, store, reverse, drive in traffic etc etc. i have a bike trailer (stored at Spotty’s place) and the little truck has a towbar, but I’d much rather haul bikes and parts in the truck, hence my desire to build my own bike loader, that I can use on my own without any other assistance, as in most cases I’ll be loading/unloading on my own. I live in a house in the ‘burbs, so with 6 cars and 26 bikes, space is at a premium and a trailer that will be only occasionally used takes up the space of a car or small truck that will be used regularly, if not daily.

I looked at all of the Youtube videos of both the store bought and home built loaders, and have to say that the store bought loaders are all stupidly overpriced, all seem to be around $3-4K with maybe $500 worth of materials, and either poorly designed, or ridiculously over-engineered.

One of the loaders relies heavily on the operator pulling/inserting special pins at least 13 times during the process of loading or unloading which is just dumb, and the simplest solution appears to be a 4 wheeled trolley that the bike’s front wheel is locked into, being pulled up a couple of rails via an electric winch, while the rear wheel rolls up a standard ramp, so that’s what I’m going to build.

I’ll jump in muh truck at lunchtime and go pick up the steel. I just got a call from the bike towing company to tell me that their truck is on the way to collect my poor injured BMW, and the guy told me that, looking at the description that I put on the claim, the bike will most likely be written off. Oh well, so be it…….

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #1740 on: April 19, 2022, 05:23:20 pm »
Looks good Kelly, but I hate towing trailers, they’re a pain in the arse to park, store, reverse, drive in traffic etc etc. i have a bike trailer (stored at Spotty’s place) and the little truck has a towbar, but I’d much rather haul bikes and parts in the truck, hence my desire to build my own bike loader, that I can use on my own without any other assistance, as in most cases I’ll be loading/unloading on my own. I live in a house in the ‘burbs, so with 6 cars and 26 bikes, space is at a premium and a trailer that will be only occasionally used takes up the space of a car or small truck that will be used regularly, if not daily.

I looked at all of the Youtube videos of both the store bought and home built loaders, and have to say that the store bought loaders are all stupidly overpriced, all seem to be around $3-4K with maybe $500 worth of materials, and either poorly designed, or ridiculously over-engineered.

One of the loaders relies heavily on the operator pulling/inserting special pins at least 13 times during the process of loading or unloading which is just dumb, and the simplest solution appears to be a 4 wheeled trolley that the bike’s front wheel is locked into, being pulled up a couple of rails via an electric winch, while the rear wheel rolls up a standard ramp, so that’s what I’m going to build.

I’ll jump in muh truck at lunchtime and go pick up the steel. I just got a call from the bike towing company to tell me that their truck is on the way to collect my poor injured BMW, and the guy told me that, looking at the description that I put on the claim, the bike will most likely be written off. Oh well, so be it…….

I'll be looking forward to seeing your bike loading contraption. ;D I have 5 acres so parking stuff isn't a big deal. Just behind the shop I have 2 trailer's and 3 project vehicles. What I need is more indoor parking. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1741 on: April 19, 2022, 05:31:03 pm »
Yeah, I’m envious of anyone with an acreage mate, I’d have way more sheds and probably more bikes and cars if I had the space. I still think about moving back to my home town where some of my friends have built new houses on cheap 5 acre blocks, but I also like the convenience of living in the suburbs. Decisions, decisions…. ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1742 on: April 19, 2022, 06:46:24 pm »
 I was designing a drop floor bike trailer until the state I live in raised the trailer plate a hundred more dollars. That's when I decided to split costs with my brother on his trailer. I re-wired it and repaired the bearing buddies last fall so he's happy with the split so far.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1743 on: April 19, 2022, 07:01:12 pm »
Yep that’s just silly charging lots to register a trailer Don, mine costs about 30 bucks a year, which is still too much as far as I’m concerned. ;D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1744 on: April 19, 2022, 08:03:37 pm »
in Victoria Terry i never had my dirt bike trailer registered ever,it was if the trailer was single axle and narrower than the tow car?was this correct or did i just get lucky for years?

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #1745 on: April 19, 2022, 08:05:57 pm »
 Welcome to the "truck club" brother !  I just recently filled my Ford F250 with gas and had set the odometer to zero at the last fill. I am proud to report that around town I am getting around a whopping 13 mpg or so.  ;D  OUCH right now. Hopefully that new rig of yours will be getting 30 mpg +.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1746 on: April 19, 2022, 08:38:18 pm »
in Victoria Terry i never had my dirt bike trailer registered ever,it was if the trailer was single axle and narrower than the tow car?was this correct or did i just get lucky for years?

I’m pretty sure that was the law back then Dave, I never registered my 6x4 foot trailer for the same reason. When I bought my bike trailer it was already registered so I’ve just paid the annual renewal and I assume (but don’t know for sure) that it’s supposed to be registered? ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1747 on: April 19, 2022, 08:50:04 pm »
Welcome to the "truck club" brother !  I just recently filled my Ford F250 with gas and had set the odometer to zero at the last fill. I am proud to report that around town I am getting around a whopping 13 mpg or so.  ;D  OUCH right now. Hopefully that new rig of yours will be getting 30 mpg +.

Thanks Eric, yeah it’s only got a 2.4 litre 4 cylinder engine. There was also a bigger V6 version plus turbo diesel ones as well, 4 wheel drive models etc etc, but mine is the “Poverty Pack” version, 2WD, no aircon, no cruise, no electric windows, no carpet, it doesn’t even have cup holders!

But sometimes that’s a good thing, as it’s 25 years old and a lot of those electronic luxuries would probably be buggared by now, and I’m happy to wind the window down all on my own. I haven’t checked the fuel economy yet but I think you’re correct, 30 MPG sounds right. Interestingly it’s a T bar auto, which isn’t even listed as an option, the base level Tritons were all 5 speed manuals, but I don’t mind, both my knees are shot so driving a manual in the city in traffic can get pretty painful. ;D

Offline madmtnmotors

• When did I get to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Sunny Central Florida
« Reply #1748 on: April 20, 2022, 07:25:47 am »
The twins got new tops before monsoon season starts:

TAMTF...

Wilbur

Projects:
"Evolution": http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=100352.0
"P.O. Debacle": http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,126692.msg1441661.html#msg1441661
F2/F3 O-rings: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=113672.msg1300721#msg1300721
Cam Tower Studs: https://www.mcmaster.com/#93210a017/=t19sgp
Clean up that nasty harness: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=137351.msg1549191#msg1549191
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,148188.msg1688494.html#msg1688494
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,139544.msg1579364.html#msg1579364

Charging system diagnosis: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=1012.msg8345#msg8345
Get the manuals: http://manuals.sohc4.net/cb750k/
The Dragon: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.msg1571675#msg1571675
Headlight Switch: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=113986.msg1283236#msg1283236
Branden's leak free top end thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=107040.0
Engine Lifting Made Easy: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,58210.msg1684742.html#msg1684742
                                      http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,100352.msg1675840.html#msg1675840
Static and Dynamic Timing: http://www.hondachopper.com/garage/carb_info/timing/timing1.html
Airbox Gasket Replacement: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,114485.msg1290000.html#msg1290000
"Café" : http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,84697.msg953814.html#msg953814
PD Carb Choke Linkage: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,100352.msg1669248.html#msg1669248
                                    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,110931.msg1248354.html#msg1248354
                                    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,48858.msg515204.html#msg515204
Follow up on your damn posts: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,144305.msg1791605.html#msg1791605
Taiwanese Cam Chain Tensioners:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,155043.msg1774841.html#msg1774841
Gumtwo Seat Cover: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,164440.msg1897366.html#msg1897366
Primary Drive: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,166063.msg1919278.html#msg1919278
Tank Latch: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,165975.msg1919495.html#msg1919495
Shorten your forks: http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/How-to-shorten-forks-td4042465.html DO NOT CUT THE SPRINGS!
Clutch How To: http://vintage-and-classic-honda-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/How-to-change-and-adjust-a-clutch-SOHC-td4040391.html
Late model K7/K8/F2/F3 front sprocket cover removal: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,178428.msg2072279.html#msg2072279
630 to 530 conversion: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180710.msg2094423.html#msg2094423

Sent from my Tandy TRS-80!

Offline tourmax

• Enthusiast
« Reply #1749 on: April 20, 2022, 08:32:05 am »
Pulled the snowplow and snowthrower stuff off the John Deere and installed the 54" mower deck, getting ready for summer!!

Also working on the front loader for it:

1989 FJ1200, 1983 Yamaha Venture (Vmax conversion), 1985 VF 750F Interceptor, 1982 CB650SC, 1988 Corvette convertible (Z52), 1983 Mustang GT, 2009 Mini Cooper Clubman.Couple more lying around but this is long enough already!