Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 172574 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1775 on: April 28, 2022, 04:18:08 pm »
I dropped my little truck off to get a Roadworthy Certificate inspection which will include replacing all 4 rims and tyres as the PO installed incorrect size/offset rims on it and threw away the original wheels. Anyway while it won’t be cheap I’ll be keeping the truck forever, so it’ll be worth the expense. ;D   looks like hilux aftermarked rims...yoy just need a hand pump crane..i have bayed a chinese one i vill fit,,somday...??

Terry's Triton 18 Apr 2022 9 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Thanks Lars, they could well be aftermarket rims for a Hilux. I was sent a text video of it blowing clouds of smoke at the garage yesterday, looks like I might need a new engine. Oh well, if that’s what it needs, I may as well get one. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #1776 on: April 28, 2022, 07:35:09 pm »
G'Day Terry,Does your little truck have the rest of it in good nick ? Frame(rust)body,transmission,suspension,etc. ?
Will they allow a Roadworthy with a smoking engine ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1777 on: April 28, 2022, 11:10:56 pm »
G'Day Terry,Does your little truck have the rest of it in good nick ? Frame(rust)body,transmission,suspension,etc. ?

The rest of it appears to be good Bill, I crawled under it when I did the oil change and it looked fine. It's old but has been repainted recently so looks newer than it is. Definitely not roadworthy with that engine pumping out smoke, but if all it needs is another engine, I'll be happy. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1778 on: April 29, 2022, 12:09:35 am »

The rest of it appears to be good Bill, I crawled under it when I did the oil change and it looked fine. It's old but has been repainted recently so looks newer than it is. Definitely not roadworthy with that engine pumping out smoke, but if all it needs is another engine, I'll be happy. ;D

Would be great if you could get a factory OEM shortblock;a quality rebuild.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1779 on: April 29, 2022, 12:12:04 am »

Yep, but sadly it’s too old Bill, so it’ll just get another used engine from a wrecking yard. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1780 on: April 29, 2022, 12:51:48 am »

Yep, but sadly it’s too old Bill, so it’ll just get another used engine from a wrecking yard. ;D

Bring some tools,do a compression test,pick the best one.

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1781 on: April 29, 2022, 06:25:26 am »
Or maybe pick the best two!

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #1782 on: April 29, 2022, 09:28:39 am »
could just be a turbo seal , check before you start buying engines !

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #1783 on: April 29, 2022, 11:13:24 am »
Gonna order a blower motor for the ole ladies jeep. She's gonna want that A/C soon.
Might have to wait a bit extra now her mother has taken a turn for the worse in the hospital.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1784 on: April 29, 2022, 12:57:59 pm »
I dropped my little truck off to get a Roadworthy Certificate inspection which will include replacing all 4 rims and tyres as the PO installed incorrect size/offset rims on it and threw away the original wheels. Anyway while it won’t be cheap I’ll be keeping the truck forever, so it’ll be worth the expense. ;D   looks like hilux aftermarked rims...yoy just need a hand pump crane..i have bayed a chinese one i vill fit,,somday...??

[img width=600
I was sent a text video of it blowing clouds of smoke at the garage yesterday...

You didnt check the engine when you bought it?!!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1785 on: April 29, 2022, 04:31:46 pm »
could just be a turbo seal , check before you start buying engines !

I hope not Simon, it’s an EFI petrol engine with no turbo. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1786 on: April 29, 2022, 04:50:26 pm »

[img width=600
I was sent a text video of it blowing clouds of smoke at the garage yesterday...

You didnt check the engine when you bought it?!!

Yes Steve, I stood outside his house in the rain with my Vane diagnostic machine doing a compression/leakdown test like I do when I buy every car and bike I’ve ever owned……. ;D

But back to reality, the engine started right up and was running fine, there was no water in the oil, which was clean, and when I did the oil and filter change on Saturday after driving it another 50 miles around town the oil was still clean, there was no metal in it, no knocking etc, so I’m still not sure how it suddenly “let go” when at the garage. I’m still thinking that it’s maybe a blocked breather or dirty EGR valve, as it’s done a lot less miles than my old Subaru which is still running like a champ 7 years and 40,000 miles after I bought it for the princely sum of $500.

Regardless, it needs to be fixed, and I don’t want to do it, so I’ll pony up the dough, and it’ll be good to go. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1787 on: April 29, 2022, 05:37:51 pm »
Terry,will that Moreys help the oil burning out of it;possibly some carboned-up rings ?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1788 on: April 29, 2022, 06:07:05 pm »
Not a valid %s URL
Terry,will that Moreys help the oil burning out of it;possibly some carboned-up rings ?

Thanks Bill, I've been using Morey's since the 80's and Pro-Ma since the 90's, and they're both great products, especially for worn engines. I was watching a Scotty Kilmer video on Youtube last night about Lucas oil additives, and like me, he's sold on them. (I use Lucas when I can't find Moreys) I used to hang out with some guys who ran a shonky (scetchy) car yard back in the 80's, and was impressed at how a 32 ounce bottle of Moreys in the engine would stop any smoking and lifter ticking, and stop engine smoking. A fantastic product in gearboxes as well, just like the old STP, "Mechanic in a can".

I'd mentioned that it puffed a wisp of smoke on startup which I presumed was valve guide seals that had probably gone hard after 25 years, and was a bit disappointed that even after the oil-change with Moreys/Pro-Ma it still puffed a wisp of smoke when I started it on Wednesday to take it to the shop for the RWC inspection, but the wife, who was following me said that it didn't seem to be smoking on the way to the shop, so I wasn't fussed. It certainly wasn't doing this......... ;D

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #1789 on: April 29, 2022, 07:06:36 pm »
Not a valid %s URL

Thanks Bill, I've been using Morey's since the 80's and Pro-Ma since the 90's, and they're both great products, especially for worn engines. I was watching a Scotty Kilmer video on Youtube last night about Lucas oil additives, and like me, he's sold on them. (I use Lucas when I can't find Moreys) I used to hang out with some guys who ran a shonky (scetchy) car yard back in the 80's, and was impressed at how a 32 ounce bottle of Moreys in the engine would stop any smoking and lifter ticking, and stop engine smoking. A fantastic product in gearboxes as well, just like the old STP, "Mechanic in a can".

I'd mentioned that it puffed a wisp of smoke on startup which I presumed was valve guide seals that had probably gone hard after 25 years, and was a bit disappointed that even after the oil-change with Moreys/Pro-Ma it still puffed a wisp of smoke when I started it on Wednesday to take it to the shop for the RWC inspection, but the wife, who was following me said that it didn't seem to be smoking on the way to the shop, so I wasn't fussed. It certainly wasn't doing this......... ;D

If anyone had told the same tale, but with a 750 as the subject, we all would be telling the noob to get his bike the hell out of that shop!!! ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1790 on: April 29, 2022, 07:07:02 pm »
Terry,what did those fellows at the shop do to it ?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1791 on: April 29, 2022, 07:27:02 pm »
Terry,what did those fellows at the shop do to it ?

Who knows Bill, did they do anything to it, or did something let go while it was there? The truck is 25 years old, has had "who knows how many" previous owners and I paid very little money for it, so I don't mind spending some more money on it, I would have eventually had to take the head off at least to do the valve guide seals anyway. If I'd paid a lot of money for it I'd be pissed, but I didn't, so it's not a biggie. I think I'll go for a ride. ;D   

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1792 on: April 29, 2022, 11:01:12 pm »
 Maybe they topped off the diesel fuel. Whaddda mean it's a gas motor?
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1793 on: April 30, 2022, 12:33:45 am »
yeah pretty odd Terry?you wouldve never bought it like that?thats crazy all of a sudden?get it back and go over it,some weird sudden stuff there?
Well since id painted a few Honda parts with that wrinkle paint and my cars wheels i had a little left over,just enough for the shabby air filter lid on the Holden,now i gotta buy another can and do the rocker covers!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 01:39:44 am by dave500 »

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #1794 on: April 30, 2022, 03:36:35 am »
sorry terry , we dont get petrol ones over here they are all diesel . 

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #1795 on: April 30, 2022, 04:38:37 am »
Looks like a first start up from a long dormant GT750 ! cough cough  That is strange that it really started to cut loose like that.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1796 on: April 30, 2022, 04:44:34 am »
Almost looks like burning coolant...as in blown head gasket.  Never seen anything burn that much oil.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1797 on: April 30, 2022, 07:56:05 am »
That bottle of stop leak head gasket fixer in a can did wonders until it didn't...

Yeah I would not trust that shop to do anything as you never would have bought it and I would drop by and photograph the motor to see the serial number of the motor before and after the motor sway. Cause being the untrusting B___ of late I would be hard pressed to trust that shop unless you know them well and their reputation is also stirling silver or solid gold.
Truck's motor sounds fine and coolant would do that but it could also be some shady s___ pulled to have you empty a wallet at their place. I would bring it home and check it over running compression and leakdiwn tests on the head and look for signs of a blown head gasket in the coolant and look for the milkshake in the oil. If no signs of either and compression is textbook then they have pulled some shady #$%* on you...
David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1798 on: April 30, 2022, 08:42:16 am »
Not a valid %s URL

If anyone had told the same tale, but with a 750 as the subject, we all would be telling the noob to get his bike the hell out of that shop!!! ;)

+10000  >:(

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #1799 on: April 30, 2022, 09:25:14 am »
paranoid americans !    if the test in australia is anything like ours you have to rev the engine pretty hard . honestly repairing terrys old truck engine is not the sort of work garages want . the money is in brakes , shocks and servicing .
thats my defence of australian mechanics !