Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 172114 times)

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1925 on: June 20, 2022, 08:27:18 pm »
Yes, LPG conversions have been around here for decades. The Impco systems were one common brand, which was installed on top of the carb, under the air-cleaner. Henry's family had a side business, Road Runner Pizza, where they would cook the pizza while driving to the destination in a step-van, which was powered by a 225 slant six running on propane. Good pizza! ;D
Propane has less power per pound than gas, but it does burn very cleanly, which is why the oil stays so clean. One of the downsides is it doesn't have any lubrication effects like gas with lead or diesel. My friend Clare had recently mentioned trying to convert his fuel injected Dodge truck since propane is so cheap compared to gas; his has an Impco "carb" and everything but the tank, but is not sure how the computer will handle it.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1926 on: June 20, 2022, 08:44:47 pm »
It shouldn’t be an issue Scott, the taxi industry here run the entire fleet on LPG, and all the modern cars are injected, and are doing half a million miles before they’re replaced. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #1927 on: June 21, 2022, 08:22:18 pm »
If that was my Jeep Cherokee I would install a nice aluminium 4 bbl. intake manifold and a Holley Sniper fuel injection kit for an improvement in power and mileage along with cleaner emissions.
I have always liked that body style.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #1928 on: June 22, 2022, 09:39:53 am »
had to move the Envoy yesterday for street cleaning. I hadn't started it in a couple weeks and the batter was dead. I jumped it from my Lincoln, drove it around for a while and ran it through the car wash so it doesn't look abandoned.

A good friend of my girlfriend has offered to give us her 2002 Avalanche with ~107k miles on it if I fix up her Chinese 3 wheel leaning scooter thing.  I had it started and running for her last year (man is it weird to drive, I just couldn't get used to it).

The truck hasn't been running great and a mechanic told her it has a cracked cylinder and needs an engine. Personally I think that is complete nonsense. This is a 2nd vehicle for her, but she has been driving it while waiting to bring her Audi convertible back to Chicago from Florida where she stores it over the winter. There is no way the engine in the Avalanche has a cracked cylinder and yet remains driveable.

So I am going to haul the scooter down to my better workshop at my sister's in a couple weeks and give it a complete service. If the engine in the Avalanche is bad, well the 5.3 in the Envoy will fit right in, as would the transmission that I have been rebuilding, with a lot less work than replacing the bad frame on the Envoy.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline tourmax

• Enthusiast
« Reply #1929 on: June 22, 2022, 10:06:41 am »
had to move the Envoy yesterday for street cleaning. I hadn't started it in a couple weeks and the batter was dead. I jumped it from my Lincoln, drove it around for a while and ran it through the car wash so it doesn't look abandoned.

A good friend of my girlfriend has offered to give us her 2002 Avalanche with ~107k miles on it if I fix up her Chinese 3 wheel leaning scooter thing.  I had it started and running for her last year (man is it weird to drive, I just couldn't get used to it).

The truck hasn't been running great and a mechanic told her it has a cracked cylinder and needs an engine. Personally I think that is complete nonsense. This is a 2nd vehicle for her, but she has been driving it while waiting to bring her Audi convertible back to Chicago from Florida where she stores it over the winter. There is no way the engine in the Avalanche has a cracked cylinder and yet remains driveable.

So I am going to haul the scooter down to my better workshop at my sister's in a couple weeks and give it a complete service. If the engine in the Avalanche is bad, well the 5.3 in the Envoy will fit right in, as would the transmission that I have been rebuilding, with a lot less work than replacing the bad frame on the Envoy.

Put a rad pressure tester on it and pump it up. If the cylinder is cracked to water, you'll see the pressure dropping. You can also listen around for where the pressure is escaping. IE: intake ports, exhaust ports, oil filler tube, etc.

It a quick and dirty check to confirm suspected cracks and leaks to water....
1989 FJ1200, 1983 Yamaha Venture (Vmax conversion), 1985 VF 750F Interceptor, 1982 CB650SC, 1988 Corvette convertible (Z52), 1983 Mustang GT, 2009 Mini Cooper Clubman.Couple more lying around but this is long enough already!

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #1930 on: June 22, 2022, 11:59:57 am »
Yesterday I used my old truck for a truck. I get lots of funny looks for doing it but I figured if it's truck it ought to be used as one.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1931 on: June 22, 2022, 03:42:40 pm »
 God job truck.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1932 on: June 22, 2022, 03:47:51 pm »
 I put a battery in my 40 chevy, the old Optima was only 15 years old. It previously lived in our dragster going over 180 at up to 3 g's and did a stint as a trailer battery before getting retired to the 40. Storage on a rubber mat over winter finally killed it. 
  I got a diehard for about $160 my price, I briefly considered the Oddysey for $300 but cheaped out. I would have rotated the dragster battery into the 40 and put the new one in the racecar.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1933 on: June 24, 2022, 01:13:42 pm »
  The 40 chevy still wouldn't start even with the new battery.  It seems the 14 year old optima is alive after all, I tightened the cable clamps and clicked it a few times now it starts every time. I'll take off the cable ends, cut the cables back an inch and wire brush the clamps.
  Now I need a core battery to give up.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1934 on: June 25, 2022, 02:29:04 am »
My little truck is going in for it's Roadworthy Inspection next week, so after I had the front discs machined and new pads fitted, rear axle seals replaced because the drums were full of oil, then had the drums machined, new shoes, handbrake adjusted, then last night after work I replaced the non-functioning headlight (sealed beam unit with blown low beam) and fixed the right blinker and running light. (The earth wire had broken at the plug so I cut the plug off and stripped the wires back and used those nifty heat gun solder connectors)

I installed the new cylinder head (again) last weekend and it's running like a new car now. A couple of times I've seen a few drips of coolant on the driveway though and can't see where they are coming from, so today I bought a bottle of radiator and engine block sealant, and tipped it in. I also bought a cheap tool kit, a scissor jack and a wheel brace for it. When I was putting them behind the seats I found a jack and a tool kit, so probably didn't need them, but they were cheap, so no biggie. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
    • old japanese parts and bikes
« Reply #1935 on: June 26, 2022, 05:36:23 am »
I TOLD son #3, to not go to a local tire store for new tires, even though they're a bit cheaper and closer. He did anyways and when he came over to have me help him change the brake pads and rotors we discovered, 24/32 lugnuts cracked! AND they were on at over 200 ft/lbs.
Sometimes Dads do know what they're talking about, non?
michel
Laugh at least once a day.
Life  $ucks, then you die.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
God forces us to live with  non-believers to test our resolve.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1936 on: June 26, 2022, 06:25:14 am »
I TOLD son #3, to not go to a local tire store for new tires, even though they're a bit cheaper and closer. He did anyways and when he came over to have me help him change the brake pads and rotors we discovered, 24/32 lugnuts cracked! AND they were on at over 200 ft/lbs.
Sometimes Dads do know what they're talking about, non?
michel

Sounds criminal to me Michel. Think I would be filing a complaint with the better business bureau as well as that company and their corporate offices...
Good luck!
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1937 on: June 26, 2022, 01:27:17 pm »
Yep, I remember sitting in my driveway replacing the wheel studs on my old Ford Falcon that snapped off as I was UN-doing them, due to some rattle gun hero with more psi than IQ.

Anyway yesterday the weather was miserable so a great day to road test my little truck after the cylinder head replacement. I thought I’d seen some drops of coolant from somewhere underneath the engine at the shopping centre car park a couple of days before so I threw a bottle of radiator stop leak in it just in case there was a leak, as it goes in for its roadworthy inspection on Wednesday.

I drove it for 50 miles in both city and freeway driving and it performed faultlessly except the windscreen washers are blocked, so I’ll need to get the air compressor out tonight and blow them out from the windscreen back to the washer reservoir which I’ll also flush as it looks pretty murky in there. Apart from that, it’s good to go. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #1938 on: June 26, 2022, 02:59:49 pm »
Yep, I remember sitting in my driveway replacing the wheel studs on my old Ford Falcon that snapped off as I was UN-doing them, due to some rattle gun hero with more psi than IQ.

Anyway yesterday the weather was miserable so a great day to road test my little truck after the cylinder head replacement. I thought I’d seen some drops of coolant from somewhere underneath the engine at the shopping centre car park a couple of days before so I threw a bottle of radiator stop leak in it just in case there was a leak, as it goes in for its roadworthy inspection on Wednesday.

I drove it for 50 miles in both city and freeway driving and it performed faultlessly except the windscreen washers are blocked, so I’ll need to get the air compressor out tonight and blow them out from the windscreen back to the washer reservoir which I’ll also flush as it looks pretty murky in there. Apart from that, it’s good to go. ;D

You've had some stuff you sorted for sure Terry;that little truck/Ute is now beginning a complete fresh start with you.
I imagine it will be with you for many years.
Did you finally fully remove that rear overhead rack ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1939 on: June 27, 2022, 04:03:43 am »

You've had some stuff you sorted for sure Terry;that little truck/Ute is now beginning a complete fresh start with you.
I imagine it will be with you for many years.
Did you finally fully remove that rear overhead rack ?

Thanks Bill, the one at the back of the truck came off very early in the piece, and I’m going to cut the front one off when next I have my angle grinder handy as I’ve already backed it into one of the carport pillars, which pisses me off. ;D

Offline 74cb750

• Old Timer
    • old japanese parts and bikes
« Reply #1940 on: June 27, 2022, 04:47:47 am »
Sounds criminal to me Michel. Think I would be filing a complaint with the better business bureau as well as that company and their corporate offices...
Good luck!

He went out of business recently....
Laugh at least once a day.
Life  $ucks, then you die.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.
God forces us to live with  non-believers to test our resolve.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #1941 on: June 27, 2022, 08:49:23 am »
Changed the oil and filter on my Lincoln. The oil life monitor said I still had 30% life left, but it has been 7,000 miles since the last change and I just don't like super extended intervals. I also replaced the left side outer tie rod. There was a good 1/4 inch of play in the tire from the bad ball joint. I still have a rattle coming from the right side that I think is a bad strut, I will track that down soon.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #1942 on: June 27, 2022, 02:54:29 pm »
Today I cut the cancer infected corroded + battery terminal out of the wiring harness on my Ford F250. It was waiting to let me down. Used a marine/boat battery terminal with a nice post that I could mount the new lugs. Last night as I was inspecting the harness I noticed a plastic junction box further downstream on the main + wiring harness and as I was messing around to remove the lid to take a peek at the corrosion I was seeing the thick wire running out the back broke off very easily  ::) That is gone and bypassed also. Would have been fun tracking that problem  down along the side of a busy highway or a desolate country road at night.I bet the juice is running a little better now.  ;)   :D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1943 on: June 27, 2022, 03:29:16 pm »
Good work Eric, looks very professional. I’d almost forgotten that the last thing I needed to do was unplug  the partially blocked washers on my little truck, so I first blew ‘em clean with compressed air from the washer jets back to the water reservoir. Looking in the reservoir I could see that there was some mud down the bottom so I pulled the jug out and sneaked into the kitchen to wash it out with hot water and dishwashing liquid, which removed 99% of it.

I cleaned the jug up around the pump and reinstalled it, and was rewarded with a good stream, so I think it’s ready to go back to the shop and get the tick in the box for a roadworthy certificate. Once that’s done, I need to think seriously about that Ebay turbo kit, it drives fine, but another 100 BHP would be handy for some longer road trips I’m thinking about…… ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1944 on: June 27, 2022, 03:36:28 pm »
Good work Eric, looks very professional.

+1.  I like those marine terminals, they do come in handy...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1945 on: June 27, 2022, 09:12:00 pm »
Had an excellent weekend in the LEXUS. Four of us drove in two x eight hour enduros, Saturday and Sunday. Warped front discs somewhat slowed the car (not so much) and we took 2nd in class, both days. We adde a 24 gallon fuel cell since the last race, so we were able to run full two hour stints (three pit stops), all weekend. Hot weather added to the excitement. The car ran great!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1946 on: June 27, 2022, 09:13:19 pm »
Unfortunately the little Echo that we prep and bring along (rented to four other guys) died an untimely death! Car has a massive cage, full comp seat, six point harness, and fire system. Driver was shaken, but no injuries......
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 09:15:33 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1947 on: June 28, 2022, 04:39:32 am »
Wow...scratch one racing Echo...
That looks like it hit something pretty hard. Hope the driver(s) didn't get too banged up... Someone is buying you guys replacement value on that...

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1948 on: June 28, 2022, 06:28:36 am »
Wow...scratch one racing Echo...
That looks like it hit something pretty hard. Hope the driver(s) didn't get too banged up... Someone is buying you guys replacement value on that...

Truthfully, that little car paid the entry fees and fuel bills! May be replaced soon. Driver was a bit sore, but no injuries.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1949 on: June 28, 2022, 03:02:43 pm »
An Echo is going to be transitioning to Race car as your wrecked one is gonna be breathing life into another for track duty......