Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 171623 times)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2075 on: July 23, 2022, 10:05:31 pm »

Bill, the motorcycle lifter is still going to happen, and I'm glad that I haven't chopped up all my metal to make it fit the flat tray as it'll have to go into the tub now,

The other day as I was leaving the post office, I saw a pick-up go by with an RD400 in the bed, so I followed it to the gas station a block away. When I saw the lift ramp, I immediately thought of you Terry, so I snapped a few pics hoping to catch some useful details. The guy mentioned he might sell it for $1500, and I gave him my #, but I think I would rather have a motorcycle trailer: the ramp takes up a lot of space in the bed, and isn't easily removed or installed, compared to just hitching up a trailer. ;)

scottly,that's a nice looking Yamaha RD400 'barn find'? !!  8) 8)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2076 on: July 24, 2022, 01:59:54 am »
Hey thanks Scott, I love looking at those things, and I'm always impressed with the lengths some folks will go to to over engineer something. Rest assured that my "design" is so under engineered that it'll probably be dangerous, but that's OK, all I can hurt is my bikes and my feelings if it turns to crap. I'll use my CX500 and my worst CB750 as "Test Mules" so I don't destroy anything that I care about. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2077 on: July 25, 2022, 11:37:59 am »
 I had the metal and air bags to build a 3-bike low boy drop bed bike trailer when Illinois went crazy on the cost of license plates for a trailer. I decided to pay half of my brother's plates and borrow his trailer when needed. The plates have gone back to normal prices, but I already sold the metal and moved on to other projects.  Timbren makes some rubber spring axles that don't extend across the trailer.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2078 on: July 25, 2022, 07:52:38 pm »
Yep I own a bike trailer that Spotty’s minding for me, it’s one of those cheap Chinese folding trailers with an even cheaper plywood top that’s completely fallen apart from sitting in the weather for the last few years, we’ll put a new top on it this summer so we can haul bikes around, but the reason I wanted a little truck was because most of the older bikes I buy are just piles of parts that need to be hauled in something with sides so they don’t fall out all over the road, and I intend to take some parts to various swap meets over the next few years to empty out my garage, not to mention rubbish runs to the dump, collecting furniture, etc etc. I better get off my butt and fit the new tub I bought for it soon so I can chop up the tray and give it to the scrap metal dude. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #2079 on: July 25, 2022, 08:06:28 pm »
well, what terry don't want i'll take, i'm going to pick up the gokart tonight, no motor but i can get a cheap chinese 2 stroke auto one for $80 plus $50 for a chamber, could be fun , or could end up in the lounge room with the pocket bike i bought a while ago
i blame Terry

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2080 on: July 25, 2022, 10:33:22 pm »
Would the tray out of the Triton make a good solid bed for the folding trailer or totally overload the capacity of the tiny trailer?
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2081 on: July 25, 2022, 11:09:52 pm »
well, what terry don't want i'll take, i'm going to pick up the gokart tonight, no motor but i can get a cheap chinese 2 stroke auto one for $80 plus $50 for a chamber, could be fun , or could end up in the lounge room with the pocket bike i bought a while ago

You'll get about half of one of your butt cheeks in the seat Spotty, and will never be able to fold your 7 foot frame to fit in it. The Ebay bicycle engines won't power a gokart worth a sh1t, go and buy a chainsaw or a Victa 2 stroke mower and steal the engine out of it. Then give it to one of your nephews or nieces. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2082 on: July 25, 2022, 11:12:46 pm »
Would the tray out of the Triton make a good solid bed for the folding trailer or totally overload the capacity of the tiny trailer?

I did think about that David, the little chinese trailers are super heavy so would handle it fine, but I'd lose the ability to fold it up if I ever needed to. If I cut the tray up it'd lose all it's strength, I might drag the tray around behind my garage in case I ever need it again. ;D

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #2083 on: July 26, 2022, 07:15:09 pm »

You'll get about half of one of your butt cheeks in the seat Spotty, and will never be able to fold your 7 foot frame to fit in it. The Ebay bicycle engines won't power a gokart worth a sh1t, go and buy a chainsaw or a Victa 2 stroke mower and steal the engine out of it. Then give it to one of your nephews or nieces. ;D

l i went and got it last night, missing the back axle too, but i only paid $30 so what can i expect. i'll keep my eyes open for a cheap rear end for it, no hurry, got plenty of other stuff more important
or i might put it on facebook for $50.....
i blame Terry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2084 on: July 26, 2022, 08:36:20 pm »
Ha ha, yep, that $20 profit should almost cover your fuel costs to Oakleigh…. ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2085 on: July 27, 2022, 04:31:17 pm »
 My Summit parts order got here, I put the fuel filter on the 40 chevy and got the fuel pressure regulator rebuilt. The filter hangs a bit far out to not have a mount, so I turned it 90* and faced it up. The regulator is upside down now but protected by the 30 micron filter so it will work fine until I get a 3/8"mip X an-6 elbow, that will shorten things up a lot.  The regulator kit had two springs for low and high pressure. Low is 1-2 lbs so I re-used the old heavy duty one for 5 psi.
 The camping world order came too, except it was just an empty crunched gappy box. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2086 on: July 27, 2022, 05:09:04 pm »
Did you order an empty crunched gappy box Don? Not that I know what that is anyway…. ;D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2087 on: July 28, 2022, 12:03:54 am »
i ordered #$%* all this week and thats exactly what i got!,im guessing a gappy box has gaps?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 12:05:52 am by dave500 »

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2088 on: July 28, 2022, 12:20:28 am »
So, the Camping World box got opened and emptied by a sorting machine...or, the thieving person who took the contents would have you believe this...

I had a book I ordered two actually and one showed up a d the second one was just no where to be seen and I had no tracking info.
Well, a week or more later it shows up about 5-6 feet from my gate inside the gate in the driveway with the corrugated wrapper just destroyed and not even a shipping label to be seen but the book was intact. How it even made it I haven't a clue. Crazy indeed. I still have no clue how the putter package looks like it was crunched and eaten alive but not a mark on the book.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2089 on: July 28, 2022, 12:26:29 am »
I had a great day today, everything came together without me getting fcuked around for a whole day. But I digress, I had my son give me a hand to lift the new tub off the back of my little truck so I can unbolt the tray, drag it off and then install the tub. It only took a couple of minutes and I only managed to scratch the tub's paint in a couple of small spots.

Triton tub project 28 Jul 2022 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Triton tub project 28 Jul 2022 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I've been around to the local nut and bolt shop to buy new nyloc nuts and panel washers to bolt the new tub on, and checked that the wiring and fuel filler won't be a problem, and it looks all good. I just need to work out now how to hold the tub up in the air so I can drive the truck underneath it, as it's quite heavy. Gary, the guy I bought it from said he propped his up on bar stools which sounds good, except I don't have any, I may have to "borrow" some kitchen chairs.......... ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2090 on: July 28, 2022, 03:35:12 am »
Time to clean and throw a coat of wax on the front of the bed near the cab while it is off…

Good luck sorting the bed swap…getting the old one off won’t be a picnic either unless it can be lifted onto the supports easily…

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2091 on: July 28, 2022, 09:24:23 am »
I had a great day today, everything came together without me getting fcuked around for a whole day. But I digress, I had my son give me a hand to lift the new tub off the back of my little truck so I can unbolt the tray, drag it off and then install the tub. It only took a couple of minutes and I only managed to scratch the tub's paint in a couple of small spots.

Triton tub project 28 Jul 2022 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Triton tub project 28 Jul 2022 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I've been around to the local nut and bolt shop to buy new nyloc nuts and panel washers to bolt the new tub on, and checked that the wiring and fuel filler won't be a problem, and it looks all good. I just need to work out now how to hold the tub up in the air so I can drive the truck underneath it, as it's quite heavy. Gary, the guy I bought it from said he propped his up on bar stools which sounds good, except I don't have any, I may have to "borrow" some kitchen chairs.......... ;D

How strong is that lower horizontal support?(body panel)underneath the tailgate:the one with the two little rubber bumpers on the ends ?

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2092 on: July 28, 2022, 10:45:39 am »
I'd make a swing set style gantry out of 2x4's and use a couple of come alongs to raise the bed so I can back under the bed.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2093 on: July 28, 2022, 01:18:01 pm »
I'd make a swing set style gantry out of 2x4's and use a couple of come alongs to raise the bed so I can back under the bed.

Good idea. Or...

I'd screw 4 eye-bolts into the wooden joists in my garage and use 4 cable straps to lower the bed down onto the truck. 

[I use the existing eye-bolt to raise the front end of my K4 when I need to remove the front wheel as I dont have a centerstand]
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2094 on: July 28, 2022, 01:31:55 pm »
Waiting for some numbers and a windshield sticker. Replacement “rent a racer” is good to go. Leaving in the morning for Shannonville practice and qualifying Friday evening, two X eight hour races Saturday and Sunday..... Th Lexus IS already loaded up.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2095 on: July 28, 2022, 01:33:34 pm »
Thanks guys, I’ve decided that I’ll drag my big engine hoist out of its slumber and haul it up the driveway to suspend the front of the tub up in the air so I can drive underneath it. I don’t have the ability to hang anything from the rafters of my garage, but the hoist should do the trick. Getting the old tray off will involve several floor jacks and my big grinder with a cut off wheel, and some violence. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2096 on: July 28, 2022, 02:32:28 pm »
Thanks guys, I’ve decided that I’ll drag my big engine hoist out of its slumber and haul it up the driveway to suspend the front of the tub up in the air so I can drive underneath it. I don’t have the ability to hang anything from the rafters of my garage, but the hoist should do the trick. Getting the old tray off will involve several floor jacks and my big grinder with a cut off wheel, and some violence. ;D

You sure you won't miss that set of horns/rack close to your cab Terry ?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2097 on: July 28, 2022, 02:39:19 pm »
Definitely not Bill, because the cab was repainted recently the tray looks a bit sad, so with the shiny new tub my little truck will almost look like new. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2098 on: July 28, 2022, 03:24:08 pm »
Definitely not Bill, because the cab was repainted recently the tray looks a bit sad, so with the shiny new tub my little truck will almost look like new. ;D

Lol,I'm sure you won't miss that steel 'goalpost' above the cab.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2099 on: July 28, 2022, 03:37:29 pm »
Very true Bill, I’m sure it was useful to whoever welded that monstrosity to the original hoop, probably for carrying pipes I suppose? Regardless I’ll be happy to convert it into scrap metal and turn my little truck into something a tad more attractive.

I bought some new headers for it when I bought the new cylinder head, so I’m thinking that a sports exhaust might be the next thing I put on it, just for fun. I’ve got to install the new Pioneer stereo my family bought me for father’s day 7 years ago, and some better speakers than the OEM ones that are definitely beyond their prime. ;D