Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 171611 times)

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2150 on: August 13, 2022, 04:19:31 pm »
God that’s a big truck John, you could almost fit that little car in the back? What engine is in the Lexus, a turbocharged 6? Looks great. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2151 on: August 13, 2022, 05:33:02 pm »
God that’s a big truck John, you could almost fit that little car in the back? What engine is in the Lexus, a turbocharged 6? Looks great. ;D

Terry.... It belongs to the wife of the guy I race with...... They are a “GM Family” (1/2 of them worked for GM at one time or another). She and my buddy run there own Service/ Used Car shop in the local village. They order two new trucks for delivery every 10-14 months at “ family pricing”. They stay in inventory, so no taxes until the first owner..... For the past few years they sell them off to the USA for a handsome profit, after 10-12,000 miles.....

It has a massive six cylinder Diesel engine and the auto transmission has so many gears I can’t count them! On it’s own the monster uses 7-8 litres per 100 kilometres!! Much better than my wife’s 2 litre (turbo charged) Hyundai. AND it will pull a house with ease. Amazing vehicle. I get it on race weekends. Absolute delight to drive.

The Lexus IS normally aspirated, straight six. The VVT has been eliminated, with just a set of mild cams it puts out 275 hp at 6,200 rpm and sounds glorious with 6-2-1 header and 3” pipe. Tons of torque and a six speed Getrag box.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:36:50 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2152 on: August 13, 2022, 07:38:55 pm »
I bet the Lexus is a blast to drive fast on the track. You are fortunate to have the means to enjoy racing with your friends.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #2153 on: August 14, 2022, 02:13:53 am »
I bet the Lexus is a blast to drive fast on the track. You are fortunate to have the means to enjoy racing with your friends.

i bet there was an awful lot of hard work involved in being fortunate .

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2154 on: August 14, 2022, 02:26:45 am »
Drove the 61 GMC to a car show about a hour ish away.
Took a tad over a hour and a half running at lower speeds. Brought the younger 2 of my 4. They had a great time, can't wait for the next one!

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2155 on: August 14, 2022, 04:28:29 am »

True. Living the dream right now.....

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2156 on: August 14, 2022, 01:07:06 pm »

Very true, we’re all the architects of our own success, or otherwise. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2157 on: August 14, 2022, 03:25:14 pm »
 We did two days of Super Comp racing at Cordova Dragway.  It's fun but would have been more fun if we hadn't sucked. I have a suspicion we have a can of bad gas, the more times it ran the better it ran. The last pass was a full tenth too quick.

There are two more association races on a weekend in September at Byron Il. 

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2158 on: August 14, 2022, 03:48:13 pm »
We did two days of Super Comp racing at Cordova Dragway.  It's fun but would have been more fun if we hadn't sucked. I have a suspicion we have a can of bad gas, the more times it ran the better it ran. The last pass was a full tenth too quick.

There are two more association races on a weekend in September at Byron Il. 

I worked at various gas stations for around 15 years Don. One place I worked, the owner/workshop manager raced speedway cars, and had several 200 litre containers of Avgas in the workshop that he also sold to a few regular customers.

One day a guy came in with a drag boat, and wanted a couple of jerry cans full, so I wandered into the workshop and pumped 44 litres of it into his cans. On my next shift, Chris, the boss, asked me which 200 litre drum I pumped the Avgas out of?

It turned out that Chris had been stealing fuel from one of the bowsers (disconnected the pump from the meter) and stored it in empty Avgas drums, so the “Avgas” that I sold the race boat owner was just “Super” grade leaded fuel which destroyed his engine. Needless to say, Chris didn’t tell him that it was the fuel, or he would have been up for a new engine…. ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2159 on: August 15, 2022, 05:30:57 am »
In one of my job stints I was a commercial driver for Sara Lee Corp. for around 12+ years traveling around Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and further. I needed fuel once and stopped at a small station and began filling. After about 15 gallons or more I noticed that I was pumping kerosene instead of diesel. I shut it off and panicked and went inside to report my foul deed and the person kind of laughed and said don't worry I was just giving it the "good stuff". Filled it up the rest of the way with diesel and didn't seem to have a problem.
   Loved that job because I got to find all the junk shops and scrap yards etc. in the region !

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2160 on: August 15, 2022, 08:14:50 am »
 A co-worker suggested a union station that sold race gas from a pump. I got a couple cans and promptly ruined a set of chevrolet turbo heads with detonation. I learned later a stock car shop had done the same thing and sent in a sample. It was 50/50 pump gas. That winter I drove through for a look and they were selling kerosene out of the same pump.
 Another time the same stock car shop sold me unocal race gas with methanol accidentally mixed in. No damage but it ran cool, not good and wanted timing and jet. That ruined a full racing season for us before I figured it out. Since them I buy only sealed cans or barrels. This oxygenated race gas may have lost its edge while sitting in an unsealed can during covid and a couple of short seasons due to family reasons. (Driver had a baby). It had been pumped into and out of the car a few times too.  I previously had a barrel of the same fuel that worked good for three years, when I opened the new one, we saw no change in performance.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2161 on: August 16, 2022, 12:08:38 am »
In one of my job stints I was a commercial driver for Sara Lee Corp. for around 12+ years traveling around Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and further. I needed fuel once and stopped at a small station and began filling. After about 15 gallons or more I noticed that I was pumping kerosene instead of diesel. I shut it off and panicked and went inside to report my foul deed and the person kind of laughed and said don't worry I was just giving it the "good stuff". Filled it up the rest of the way with diesel and didn't seem to have a problem.
   Loved that job because I got to find all the junk shops and scrap yards etc. in the region !

You did better than one of my young soldiers who filled up a Toyota HiAce bus with gas when he was supposed to be pumping diesel into it Eric. He was halfway between Melbourne and Sydney when he did it, and did not impress the other 12 guys in the bus while they waited in the cold for a tow truck and a ride home.... ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2162 on: August 17, 2022, 08:20:24 am »
The Echo is ready for the “Rent a Racers”. We’re off to Calabogie for two X eight hour races in a few weeks. The little Echo is currently 2nd in GT3. New brakes, braided lines in all four corners, new tires, additional cooling baffles for radiator and fresh air intake, some wiring modifications and opened up the exhaust a bit. These Echos were built for the Toyota Echo Cup, several years ago. I drove it for a two hour stint at the last race and it is a hoot to drive. Gutless in a straight line, but a frigging go cart everywere else! Embarrasses a lot of more powerful equipment. Fresh motor for the LEXUS is next.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 08:25:58 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2163 on: August 17, 2022, 09:11:06 pm »
Got the ole Chevy going today. Still no OD so on to testing the TPS.
Running better after catching up some maintenance on it though.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2164 on: August 18, 2022, 02:53:22 pm »
 I washed the dually and the enclosed trailer. Getting ready for our big car cruise downtown tomorrow 1 to 9 pm. Galesburg Il. in case anyone is close.  I'm taking a couple non keeper bikes in case someone there needs one.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2165 on: August 19, 2022, 12:53:05 am »
I did an oil and filter change on my twin turbo Subaru beast last weekend, and was quite proud of how quickly I had the old oil and filter out, and the new ones in. My exuberance only faltered when I was pouring the old sump oil into a container and discovered the sump plug sealing washer in the bottom of the drain pan. Fcuk. Well I jacked it up again with the engine running and didn't detect any leaks, so drove it for an hour or so.

Today I drove it into the carport and checked the oil, and it was all good. Excellent. ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2166 on: August 19, 2022, 07:29:59 am »
Took delivery of this buggy that I bartered for. 

It's going to be a "SURPRISE"! gift for the wife, thinking we will use it when going to the local parks. It will fit us, the dog, cooler and all the other crap she seems we need when going out for the day.  Plus the dog loves to swim in the lake and run in the dirt so I wont care if she gets it a little dirty.

A lot of people around here use golf carts but I wanted something street legal and with more power. It's built on a '68 VW 1500cc four cylinder, seems to run really good.

This was on my test drive yesterday at the Ranch....

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2167 on: August 19, 2022, 11:20:22 am »
I did an oil and filter change on my twin turbo Subaru beast last weekend, and was quite proud of how quickly I had the old oil and filter out, and the new ones in. My exuberance only faltered when I was pouring the old sump oil into a container and discovered the sump plug sealing washer in the bottom of the drain pan. Fcuk. Well I jacked it up again with the engine running and didn't detect any leaks, so drove it for an hour or so.

Today I drove it into the carport and checked the oil, and it was all good. Excellent. ;D

How's that twin turbo machine running now Terry ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2168 on: August 19, 2022, 01:50:59 pm »
Took delivery of this buggy that I bartered for. 

It's going to be a "SURPRISE"! gift for the wife, thinking we will use it when going to the local parks. It will fit us, the dog, cooler and all the other crap she seems we need when going out for the day.  Plus the dog loves to swim in the lake and run in the dirt so I wont care if she gets it a little dirty.

A lot of people around here use golf carts but I wanted something street legal and with more power. It's built on a '68 VW 1500cc four cylinder, seems to run really good.

This was on my test drive yesterday at the Ranch....

Very cool! Years ago, I drove an original Meyers Manx. Good fun.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2169 on: August 20, 2022, 12:44:33 am »

How's that twin turbo machine running now Terry ?

Thanks Bill, it's fcuking awesome mate, 300 BHP in a car the size of a small compact is just wicked fun. When I inherited it from Tim (It's always been registered and insured in my name, but he paid for it) the secondary turbo wasn't working and it was overheating badly. I'd almost lost interest in it when a young hoodlum knocked on my door and tried to buy it. I refused, but decided that I better put the battery back in and get it running. I bought a bottle of K Seal for the Mitsubishi but didn't need it so I put it in the Subaru and that instantly fixed the over-heating issue, then after a couple of expensive, unnecessary parts purchases I cleaned the MAF sensor and suddenly the turbo's worked again.

It's awesome to drive, I've owned lots of V8's and this thing would crap on all of them, but I don't trust it as a daily driver, because it's a Subaru,  not a Toyota..... ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2170 on: August 20, 2022, 12:59:07 am »
But I digress. Today was another miserable day (well, the sun came out too late to go for a ride) so while it was still wet and miserable I decided to cheer myself up by taking the little truck for a 60 mile drive. I'd retarded the ignition and adjusted the idle because it was pinging last time I drove it (I've been too lazy to get my timing light out so I keep doing it by ear) so it was much better today.

I worked out how to adjust the bass and loudness on my new Pioneer stereo so the interior sound was much nicer than before and my new seat covers make the seats look way nicer than the filthy OEM's. Fuel was 30 cents a litre more expensive than it was on Tuesday when I filled up my Subaru, but luckily I'd filled the Mitsy up two weeks ago so was happy that I was able to ignore gas stations along the way. I pulled into a disused parking lot and took a couple of pics.

I think it looks good, but maybe I need to do something about the wheels? I'm also thinking about airbagging the rear end, the rear springs are super hard, and if I had an on-board compressor I could drop the arse end to load bikes, and then raise the rear end up again for the ride? I've bought some nicer mirrors than those horrible truck mirrors, I just need to work out how to mount them. We'll see. ;D

Triton Saturday 20 Aug 2022 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Triton Saturday 20 Aug 2022 5 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #2171 on: August 20, 2022, 02:02:27 am »
If your after a decent ride in that Ute Uncle Tez, can I suggest you acquire a set of parabolic springs and match them up with a pair of light duty air bags running about 5psi when its empty.

Phone: 02 6024 1464|wodongasprings@gmail.com

By the by, I've finally escaped from hospital.
Twelve weeks in rehab felt like a life sentence this time around.
I've got to stop #$%*ing myself up. I'm just getting to old for that #$%*.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 02:07:30 am by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2172 on: August 20, 2022, 02:17:50 am »
If your after a decent ride in that Ute Uncle Tez, can I suggest you acquire a set of parabolic springs and match them up with a pair of light duty air bags running about 5psi when its empty.

Phone: 02 6024 1464|wodongasprings@gmail.com

By the by, I've finally escaped from hospital.
Twelve weeks in rehab felt like a life sentence this time around.
I've got to stop #$%*ing myself up. I'm just getting to old for that #$%*.  ;D

Thanks Brian, I'll check out that suspension option. For the other guys here who may not know you as well as I do, Brian has broken his back twice, so I would respectfully suggest that you probably should have stopped fcukking yourself up a long time ago! (but I'm glad that you're in better shape than you were a few weeks back) ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2173 on: August 20, 2022, 04:44:30 am »
One of those cool old school dune buggies caught my eye yesterday Steve while I was out on my country cruise for a ride. It was sitting out in a front yard close to the road and was tempted to turn around and see if it was for sale. Just bought another mini van and need another thing that burns gas like I need a hole in my head.  ;D

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2174 on: August 21, 2022, 06:55:41 am »
Got 4th back in the 6.5 3500.

Now I think I'll put the XS650 chopper up for trade to a car trailer.
slow Progress 74 cb550.