Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 171366 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2200 on: September 01, 2022, 10:05:20 pm »
I hate working. There, I've said it, it's fcuking boring, and I'd rather stay in bed. Today wasn't too bad though. I had to move some "special" equipment to an army base an hour and a half from the city, so I took my little truck to work, loaded it up and drove to the base to drop it off. While I was there, I did the unthinkable (no photography allowed) and took a pic of my little truck parked alongside some new "Rheinemetall" HX 8x8 trucks.

All up I did around 160 miles and the truck went like a new one. I refueled it on my way home and was happy enough that it's returning around 30 MPG (Imperial gallon) but I'm waiting for a new MAF sensor to arrive, and hopefully the fuel economy will improve a little more. I was also happy that, after removing the unsightly truck door mirrors and installing new, more attractive quarter vent mirrors, the wind noise that was pissing me off has disappeared. ;D

Triton Friday 2 Sep 2022 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2201 on: September 02, 2022, 02:38:46 am »
great!now our enemies will think tritons are a secret weapon?so theyll start equipping their armies with them?

ken65

« Reply #2202 on: September 02, 2022, 02:52:40 am »
lol, good one. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2203 on: September 02, 2022, 04:28:10 am »
great!now our enemies will think tritons are a secret weapon?so theyll start equipping their armies with them?

Well, not that we actually have any enemies (everyone loves Aussies, yeah?) they're still using the same engine and drivetrain...... in Chinese vehicles..... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2204 on: September 02, 2022, 04:52:57 am »
probably whats in our submarines the way that debarcle is going?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2205 on: September 02, 2022, 06:19:09 pm »
Well the inside scoop is that the French subs were like everything made in France (except their food, which is good) and the frogs are cnuts to do business with Dave, so we're lucky that someone in the ADF had the balls to whisper in the ex-PM's ear and he told that little prick in Paris to piss off. We've swapped out the Peugeot for a Chevrolet, and the Navy dudes are very happy, thank you very much. Well, apparently the new subs are part British too, so hopefully they didn't build the wiring harness or gaskets....... ;D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2206 on: September 03, 2022, 11:57:34 pm »
hopefully not lucas electrics?well i got motivated enough to flush my cars brake fluid,been three years,wasnt black but i couldnt see the bottom of the reserviour with a torch/flashlight through it,i have a good cheap copy vacuum sucker thats a siphon thing powered by your air compressor,had it coupla years works great,fast n easy!works best if you teflon tape the bleeder screw first,that blue haze must be from when i held my foot on the pedal afterwards to be sure its all holding,probably released a little of the old fluid from behind the seals?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 12:01:51 am by dave500 »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2207 on: September 04, 2022, 12:38:25 am »
hopefully not lucas electrics?well i got motivated enough to flush my cars brake fluid,been three years,wasnt black but i couldnt see the bottom of the reserviour with a torch/flashlight through it,i have a good cheap copy vacuum sucker thats a siphon thing powered by your air compressor,had it coupla years works great,fast n easy!works best if you teflon tape the bleeder screw first,that blue haze must be from when i held my foot on the pedal afterwards to be sure its all holding,probably released a little of the old fluid from behind the seals?

Which automobile is that for Dave ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2208 on: September 04, 2022, 12:57:55 am »
my old Holden Bill.

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2209 on: September 04, 2022, 05:04:35 am »
No work. Just drove the 61 to work.
Sooner than I like I won't be driving it due to winter. So trying to get the miles in now.

A local car club is doing a cruise down to Williamson, WV in 2 weeks. Trying to convince the ole lady to ride with me for a date night. They are having a old fashioned cruise in down there.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2210 on: September 04, 2022, 01:06:14 pm »
my old Holden Bill.

Ah yes,that nice classic blue one.  8) 8)
Show us a pic of it Dave.  :)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2211 on: September 04, 2022, 05:19:01 pm »
No work. Just drove the 61 to work.
Sooner than I like I won't be driving it due to winter. So trying to get the miles in now.

A local car club is doing a cruise down to Williamson, WV in 2 weeks. Trying to convince the ole lady to ride with me for a date night. They are having a old fashioned cruise in down there.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

That looks great mate. This winter I bought two different 12V fan heaters for my daily driver (old Subaru) because the aircon died and I needed some extra heat to demist the windscreen, but sadly they're both fcuking useless. It's a pity, because a good 12V heater would be really handy in old cars and trucks in winter, but so far I haven't been able to find one. ;D

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2212 on: September 04, 2022, 06:43:45 pm »
I've been fortunate to have good heat in this. Not lot after I got the truck the radiator started leaking. Instead of taking the 50+ year old part to be sealed, I ordered a new 3 core all aluminum job. Flushed the heater core and block. Really warmed up my winter heat.

It's slow to warm up but keeps it warm enough to drive with the littles down into the 30s. I don't drive it in the snow/salt. Like it to last as long as it can being a old work truck.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2213 on: September 04, 2022, 11:46:53 pm »
here you go Bill!head mechanic at work has a genuine HQ gts four door.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 11:49:04 pm by dave500 »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2214 on: September 05, 2022, 01:06:27 am »
Nice looking cars Dave.
Did your Holden come-through with that nice Cyan Blue color ?
Which engine does that man's GTS run ?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2215 on: September 05, 2022, 01:13:57 am »
I've been fortunate to have good heat in this. Not lot after I got the truck the radiator started leaking. Instead of taking the 50+ year old part to be sealed, I ordered a new 3 core all aluminum job. Flushed the heater core and block. Really warmed up my winter heat.

It's slow to warm up but keeps it warm enough to drive with the littles down into the 30s. I don't drive it in the snow/salt. Like it to last as long as it can being a old work truck.

Yep as a noob "Little Truck" owner I'm pretty impressed with the heater, and I realised that it's a generic heater used for both the twin cab and single cab versions of my little truck, so the heater works really well. It is the "Poverty Pack" version so no aircon, but I'll drive it on most summer days anyway because I'm not that dependant on aircon, except for demisting my windscreen in winter. ;D

Triton Friday 2 Sep 2022 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2216 on: September 10, 2022, 06:38:12 am »
Our kids and their children spent several days at the farm while we were away on vacation………
Lots of repairs to do! Ripped the back off the “box” on the cart, flat tire, and the left front wheel bearing is shot! I can’t believe the old Yamaha G2 still runs! What a beast!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2217 on: September 10, 2022, 09:44:48 am »
Our kids and their children spent several days at the farm while we were away on vacation………
Lots of repairs to do! Ripped the back off the “box” on the cart, flat tire, and the left front wheel bearing is shot! I can’t believe the old Yamaha G2 still runs! What a beast!

“Green Slime” (1/2 bottle) fixed the old tire. Good to go.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2218 on: September 10, 2022, 04:54:03 pm »
John, that's some rough use...what the heck were they doing to have that kind of damage?
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2219 on: September 10, 2022, 05:23:35 pm »
John, that's some rough use...what the heck were they doing to have that kind of damage?

Two kids in the back with their feet pushing against the back board. I added a thicker plank and two metal corner brackets! Tires are old, so too much bouncing around the fields..... my wife and I use a tank of fuel a month. They use one a day!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2220 on: September 10, 2022, 06:55:16 pm »
That "Slime" is good stuff John, I put it in both tyres on my Yamaha FJR1300 when I got 3 punctures in 2 weeks when I was living in a new housing estate in Canberra and the roads were strewn with screws and nails. Both tyres still had slime in them when I sold the bike 3 years later, with no issues.

Yesterday I used my little truck to drive 80 miles into the countryside to collect the remains of a couple of old BSA C11's. Years ago I bought Spotty's father's C11, which was missing the front end and all of the "tins" so I've been slowly gathering parts for it's eventual restoration. Rob, the guy in the pic who I bought the beeza's from, was very impressed with how clean my little truck was, so I explained that it had been a tray truck when I bought it, but I'd found a NOS tub for it, hence why there was not any damage/rust in the tub.

BSA Saturday 10 Sep 2022 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

The little truck drove like a new one, and nothing fell out of it, so it was a successful parts scrounging mission. ;D

BSA Saturday 10 Sep 2022 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2221 on: September 10, 2022, 10:30:31 pm »
Yesterday I pulled a rusty hitch off a wrecked Chevy truck. That was a pain laying in a field to do. Stripped rounded bolts and such.
Today I put it on my 3500.
Still need to wire a trailer plug though.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2222 on: September 11, 2022, 04:50:36 pm »
Yesterday I pulled a rusty hitch off a wrecked Chevy truck. That was a pain laying in a field to do. Stripped rounded bolts and such.
Today I put it on my 3500.
Still need to wire a trailer plug though.

Last time I wired a trailer plug was for my wife’s small SUV. The guy at the parts store suggested a plug in unit. It came the next day with full instructions. Opened up a plug in the main harness in the back and inserted the jumper plug. Snapped it all back together and worked perfectly. Cost a few bucks more, but took 5 minutes to install. Totally waterproof connection, still working great.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2223 on: September 13, 2022, 08:40:26 am »
 Not mine but I'm doing a 26 hour each way trip to Reno Nv with a friend to pick up an old car. I don't even know what it is. We're roughing it, taking his Tahoe and open trailer instead of his motor home. The trailer is sitting at the farm, I hope the tires are recent.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2224 on: September 13, 2022, 01:13:22 pm »
Not mine but I'm doing a 26 hour each way trip to Reno Nv with a friend to pick up an old car. I don't even know what it is. We're roughing it, taking his Tahoe and open trailer instead of his motor home. The trailer is sitting at the farm, I hope the tires are recent.

Road trip! That sounds fantastic Don, I presume that the weather there is still good, are you guys gonna drive straight through or stay/camp overnight? While I need to sell off as many as 20 bikes over the next few years I’d love to do a road trip interstate, maybe I should offer to deliver the bikes interstate when I sell them? “Reverse Road Trip”? ;D