Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 171133 times)

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2300 on: October 17, 2022, 11:51:41 am »
my alpine head unit has a small fuse in it , might be worth checking if yours is the same .

Yes, fuse on the unit and an inline fuse both tested good.
Thanks

Take advantage and swap out to a media only unit. No CD, just radio, Bluetooth and USB connections. They are only about 3 inches deep and are much easier to install in an old car.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2301 on: October 17, 2022, 12:28:40 pm »
my alpine head unit has a small fuse in it , might be worth checking if yours is the same .

Yes, fuse on the unit and an inline fuse both tested good.
Thanks

Take advantage and swap out to a media only unit. No CD, just radio, Bluetooth and USB connections. They are only about 3 inches deep and are much easier to install in an old car.

Continued to pull the unit, confirm it has a good ground and the unit lit up and is playing fine now. 
Turns out there is a wiring issue but not the ground as I might have assumed since the car has a fiberglass body.
Searching for the wiring diagram as I have two unidentified loose wires.
Thanks
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2302 on: October 18, 2022, 12:57:02 am »
Ran my truck out of gas...
No working fuel gauge. Got it started on some ether.
Got to the gas station filled it up. Still cranking hard. Went home changed the fuel filter inside the carb. Doing great now. Love the old tech. It's so much easier to mess with.
Just 2 tools and no laying on my back either.
A 1 inch wrench and a 1/2 line wrench.

Love my old truck, most of the time.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2303 on: October 18, 2022, 06:21:08 am »
Pulled my 1980 FORD F350 plow truck out of the barn. L.R. drum brake was seized, then broke loose with a bang! Brake pedal is going to the floor. R.R. Brake line (from the axle mounted T to the wheel cylinder) rotted and spraying. It’s all so crusty this will be ugly.........

Love my old truck, most of the time (not so much today!).

Managed to remove the totally rotten brake line (which I replaced 20 years ago), without damaging the tee or the wheel cylinder. All the fittings and hoses end in little piles of rusty fittings, so lucky so far...... The bleed nipples are unrecognizable, so I’ll be using the last new fitting as the “bleeder”. Truck never leaves the property so not looking for a 100 point solution! While lying under the truck, clamped and wired up the “ see through “ tailpipe. Also noticed fuel tank I replaced in 2001 is suspiciously damp. Not dripping, but that will be next.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 09:46:44 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2304 on: October 18, 2022, 07:42:43 am »
Left the FORD alone and finished the Echo. Fresh front brakes, oil/filter change, topped up the trans and loaded cooling system with enough glycol for the winter. Good scrub and put the door windows back in for storage. Rear shoes are paper thin (4 X 8 hour races, so no complaints), ordered a set. After that, it will be ready for the barn and 2023 rental.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 12:48:38 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2305 on: October 19, 2022, 12:22:30 pm »
Replaced the RR solid brake line on the rear axle (Tee to the RR wheel cylinder). Bled it out using the fitting on the wheel cylinder as the bleed nipple is just a little pyramid of rust.....

As soon as it built pressure, the LEFT side LET GO! Arghhhhh!!!  Guess what will happen when I replace that one????? Is brake fluid flammable? Too bad it’s not insured.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2306 on: October 19, 2022, 12:35:32 pm »
Pretty sure you were joking, yes brake fluid is often flammable and difficult to extinguish.
Push it outside the barn first if you are gonna bbq it...
Time to replace all the hard lines and cylinders if the vehicle is gonna be kept.
My brother had brake line fail on an old Chevy Avalanche while towing a trailer and he was away from home. They raped him on the repairs...he was at the mercy of the shop doing the work as my brother is a doctor, not a mechanic...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2307 on: October 19, 2022, 01:00:03 pm »
Drove the "ol' Chevy" to a car show two weeks ago and the stereo would not turn on.  Pulled the Alpine head unit and hooked it up to alterative power source and still nothin'.  Very disappointed, the head unit is only four years old, and not cheap, paid around $300 for it. Now same system is $119 but do I want to go that route?

After fiddling with the wiring a bit, I did get the Alpine to power up but then would cut off after a few seconds, and then it would go on and off even when I wasnt touching it, just turning the ignition on.

Said screw it and ordered a Pioneer...an hour after FedEx delivers I am "rockin' down the highway" again!

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2308 on: October 19, 2022, 01:17:18 pm »
StevO, handy with a soldering iron? Sounds like a cracked solder joint for the connector blocks in the chassis of the old Alpine or loose connectors whose crimps need tightened up. If the former you heat up the solder pads to fix the connections. The later requires some disassembly of the connector blocks and work to tighten those connectors, or replacing them...

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2309 on: October 19, 2022, 03:40:34 pm »
Pretty sure you were joking, yes brake fluid is often flammable and difficult to extinguish.
Push it outside the barn first if you are gonna bbq it...
Time to replace all the hard lines and cylinders if the vehicle is gonna be kept.
My brother had brake line fail on an old Chevy Avalanche while towing a trailer and he was away from home. They raped him on the repairs...he was at the mercy of the shop doing the work as my brother is a doctor, not a mechanic...

Joking for sure! I need the plow for my driveway! Will just pick away at it. Made up a new 20” line, just too dark to crawl around anymore today.....

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2310 on: October 19, 2022, 09:44:21 pm »
You will get it sorted, hopefully without a lot of undue stress. Lived in rusty producing area of Ohio and dealt with lots of rusty fasteners and other bits. Enough to be sick of them. It is amazing how quickly things oxidize given good conditions for that..taking a car from California into Ohio for 1 winter and less than 6 months time it was astounding the damage that short time did to the car. Things that looked good before and didn’t appear to have issues were looking sketchy and presenting problems a year later.

You will sort it out John… guess you now will have to put together a plan for overhaul of those areas which will need attention and addressed in the coming spring and summer so your plow vehicle will continue to do its job in the years to come.

Online 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2311 on: October 20, 2022, 02:32:58 am »
Replaced the RR solid brake line on the rear axle (Tee to the RR wheel cylinder). Bled it out using the fitting on the wheel cylinder as the bleed nipple is just a little pyramid of rust.....

As soon as it built pressure, the LEFT side LET GO! Arghhhhh!!!  Guess what will happen when I replace that one????? Is brake fluid flammable? Too bad it’s not insured.

I feel your pain.  Few years back my daughter brought home 2001 Dodge pickup from Detroit and I had to get it inspected in Virginia.  Drivers floor was cardboard and carpet, the door bottom was piece of metal 2x4 and joints, exhaust and brakes were all michigened  :)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2312 on: October 20, 2022, 10:05:58 am »

I feel your pain.  Few years back my daughter brought home 2001 Dodge pickup from Detroit and I had to get it inspected in Virginia.  Drivers floor was cardboard and carpet, the door bottom was piece of metal 2x4 and joints, exhaust and brakes were all michigened  :)

Michigan must use Calcium Chloride or pure rock salt for their harsh Winter storms up there.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2313 on: October 20, 2022, 10:26:24 am »

Michigan must use Calcium Chloride or pure rock salt for their harsh Winter storms up there.

FYI - MI has huge deposits of salt and has been mining it since 1895...

http://detroitsalt.com/history

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2314 on: October 20, 2022, 12:11:39 pm »

“Michiganed?” Same in Ontario! Truck annoyed me so put new brakes in the back of the Echo today. It’s 100% ready for next event. Gas and go!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 12:13:15 pm by BenelliSEI »

Online 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2315 on: October 21, 2022, 03:40:39 am »
Yesterday I broke the parking brake on 04 Grand Cherokee.  Just "pop" and the hand brake now goes very easy.    :D

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2316 on: October 21, 2022, 01:49:36 pm »
Yesterday I broke the parking brake on 04 Grand Cherokee.  Just "pop" and the hand brake now goes very easy.    :D
That belongs in the pissed off thread.
Had to replace ebrake cables on one of my cars many years ago...
Funny thing is many people don't use their ebrake and then they take it into a shop where they practice good safety and use the ebrake and bam it breaks or it sticks on. If the owner had been using their ebrake it wouldn't have happened...

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2317 on: October 21, 2022, 02:50:17 pm »

On my 03 Grand Cherokee it was the end bracket on the first cable..... two years ago. Deleted Option!

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2318 on: October 21, 2022, 07:30:48 pm »
I picked up a couple of "almost new" front brake rotors for my 2004 Chevy Silverado pickup today off Craig's list, for $65. The seller's 2005 Silverado's trim used a 13" rotor, and after he mounted them and fit the calipers, he realized they were only 12", like my truck uses. Best of all was that he was only a few miles away, and we met at a half-way point; he pulled into the parking lot at the Blue Ridge Market right behind me, and the whole transaction, including pleasantries, took about 8 minutes. ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2319 on: October 21, 2022, 08:04:43 pm »
Nice score Scott. Sometimes you make out ok...

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #2320 on: October 21, 2022, 09:52:17 pm »
Replaced  the battery in my '02 Tundra.
The old battery failed kinda suddenly.
Texas summers are pretty rough on batteries.
It was 4.5 years old so I guess that's ok.
But that was a buck and a quarter I hadn't planned to spend.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2321 on: October 22, 2022, 12:38:10 am »
yeah batteries do that,later model cars always have a drain when parked unlike chrome bumper cars,if you take the time to charge em lightly every 6 months youll get more out of em.

Online 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2322 on: October 22, 2022, 07:00:58 am »
That belongs in the pissed off thread.
Had to replace ebrake cables on one of my cars many years ago...
Funny thing is many people don't use their ebrake and then they take it into a shop where they practice good safety and use the ebrake and bam it breaks or it sticks on. If the owner had been using their ebrake it wouldn't have happened...

I learn to drive on a stick. Setting the parking brake is pure reflex for me - I still do it to the Cherokee these days :)

Benelli - that's what I suspect, the pop came from the handle. 

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2323 on: October 23, 2022, 03:32:11 pm »
Changed the PCV valve and dead starter button on my big truck.
Tried to change the fuel filter but it was too tight to unthread by hand. Will try tonight at work, I have big filter pliers there.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2324 on: October 23, 2022, 11:33:14 pm »
Drove the "ol' Chevy" to a car show two weeks ago and the stereo would not turn on.  Pulled the Alpine head unit and hooked it up to alterative power source and still nothin'.  Very disappointed, the head unit is only four years old, and not cheap, paid around $300 for it. Now same system is $119 but do I want to go that route?

After fiddling with the wiring a bit, I did get the Alpine to power up but then would cut off after a few seconds, and then it would go on and off even when I wasnt touching it, just turning the ignition on.

Said screw it and ordered a Pioneer...an hour after FedEx delivers I am "rockin' down the highway" again!

That Pioneer stereo looks the same as the one that I installed in my little Truck Steve, it's a good unit. Interestingly enough I have a NOS Alpine that I bought for one of my Subaru's years ago, not knowing that the wife and son's bought me the Pioneer at the same time for Fathers Day, and so they both sat in their boxes as I never got around to pulling out the Subaru's stereo and eventually gave the car to my older sister. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)