Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 171022 times)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2350 on: November 18, 2022, 07:00:45 am »
id run away from that Terry!ill bet it has a glitch that cant be sorted?as far as needing a coil,im not real familiar with those but it may have 8 coils?coil on plug design?or 4x dual sparks?

Ha ha, thanks Dave, I did a google search to see what goes wrong with them, and all I could find was them blowing power steering hoses early in the model run. Don't worry, it won't pass a Vic RWC if it's got a major fault, and I won't be handing over the cash if it's "Not as described". It might have 8 coils like an LS Chev engine has, so if he's paying for it, even better. ;D

He Terry...is that an S-Type Jag? If yes, it has 8 coils.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2351 on: November 18, 2022, 11:30:36 pm »
id run away from that Terry!ill bet it has a glitch that cant be sorted?as far as needing a coil,im not real familiar with those but it may have 8 coils?coil on plug design?or 4x dual sparks?

Ha ha, thanks Dave, I did a google search to see what goes wrong with them, and all I could find was them blowing power steering hoses early in the model run. Don't worry, it won't pass a Vic RWC if it's got a major fault, and I won't be handing over the cash if it's "Not as described". It might have 8 coils like an LS Chev engine has, so if he's paying for it, even better. ;D

He Terry...is that an S-Type Jag? If yes, it has 8 coils.

Thanks Steve, yep the S series V8 was also the platform for the Ford Lincoln LS and Thunderbird. I've been watching looks of vids about them, and so far can't find anything really horrible, and a quad cam V8 that pumps out close to 300 BHP will definitely be fun to drive. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2352 on: November 22, 2022, 03:33:17 pm »
I bought my elderly neighbor ladies 1993 Mercury (Nissan) Villager van recently and it has a couple of niggles. When I test drove it earlier in the fall I must not have noticed the temp gauge was hardly budging from the bottom. So today on this nice sunny and warmer day I drove it over to my friends very well equipped and clean shop. Put it up on the lift and changed the oil and filter. Friend was quite impressed with the condition under there for a 30 year old van and pointed out some nice newer major stuff. Ladies husband was very good about keeping all his stuff maintained well. Got her down on the ground and went to work to get to those 4 bolts on the thermostat housing which of course are in an unfriendly place. We got her done and all is good so now the engine actually warms up and some major heat out of the vents. Nice spending some time with a friend and thankful for his help and generosity.  Next up is getting the passenger door to open !!   ;D  Handle does not work on either side.  ::)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2353 on: November 22, 2022, 03:43:52 pm »
That door is not gonna be fun as usually you cannot remove the interior door panel without damage if door isn't open...
Glad you got heat going again...
David- back in the desert SW!

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2354 on: November 22, 2022, 06:57:28 pm »
You gotta have Heat up there Eric  :) Nice to see you were able to get a deal.
Does that Villager have a V6 in it ?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 06:59:55 pm by grcamna2 »
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2355 on: November 23, 2022, 01:05:00 am »
I remember when Ford got into bed with Nissan here in Oz. For a couple of years you could get a Ford Falcon that had all the Ford badges removed and Nissan badges in their place, but they weren't fooling anyone, and whereas Ford sales were always high, Nissan's rebranded Fords didn't do squat. I think Ford did better with the Nissan model was rebranded as a Ford in the reciprocal deal, from memory it was a 4WD? Mazda had a deal with Ford for a long time too, several Mazda's were rebranded as Fords, but I don't know what Ford gave Mazda in return.

My mother in law has here 2 owner 1980 Toyota Corona parked in her garage under a blanket, and my Dad's 2 owner 1984 Ford Falcon station wagon (neither car has done 100,000 miles and they're both in "as new" condition) is parked in the garage at my Ma's place, they're slowly increasing in value, not that I'd really want to own either car, which is why they're still there. I hooked up a battery tender to the Falcon in 2012, and haven't switched it off, I wonder if the battery is still good after sitting for 10 years?

The guy who I'm buying the Jaguar from sent me a message to say it's passed it's Roadworthy Inspection, so it looks like I'll pick it up either this weekend or next. I did ask him for some pics of the interior and he hasn't replied as yet, but the car was still at the shop so he might not have picked it up yet. I might have to enlist Spotty's help to go pick it up as it's about 80 miles away. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2356 on: November 23, 2022, 05:29:45 am »
That door is not gonna be fun as usually you cannot remove the interior door panel without damage if door isn't open...
Glad you got heat going again...
I've got a neighbor who is a mechanic also who looked the car over before I bought it for the princely sum of $1200.00 and says he has a special tool at work and also claims he has never been defeated yet on getting a door open. Should make a descent winter beater with with some cargo hauling capability which I need in my line of work. Third soccer mom mini-van that I have owned and still have an old rusty Dodge Caravan kicking around also. My gas guzzling F250 has gone to sleep in storage for the winter and maybe longer.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #2357 on: November 23, 2022, 07:50:07 am »
Changed the wiper blades.
That I bought a year ago..

Hadn't been an issue since it's barely rained this year.  :(
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #2358 on: November 23, 2022, 09:25:56 am »

Terry, Check out the US based YouTube channel WatchJRgo. He recently bought an early 2000's XJ8, different model but same engine, that had been abandoned at a dealer for about a decade. It only has 70k miles on it, but he had to track down a bunch of issues to get it running again, you might get some good info that applies to your car.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2359 on: November 23, 2022, 12:58:24 pm »
I bought my elderly neighbor ladies 1993 Mercury (Nissan) Villager van recently and it has a couple of niggles. When I test drove it earlier in the fall I must not have noticed the temp gauge was hardly budging from the bottom. So today on this nice sunny and warmer day I drove it over to my friends very well equipped and clean shop. Put it up on the lift and changed the oil and filter. Friend was quite impressed with the condition under there for a 30 year old van and pointed out some nice newer major stuff. Ladies husband was very good about keeping all his stuff maintained well. Got her down on the ground and went to work to get to those 4 bolts on the thermostat housing which of course are in an unfriendly place. We got her done and all is good so now the engine actually warms up and some major heat out of the vents. Nice spending some time with a friend and thankful for his help and generosity.  Next up is getting the passenger door to open !!   ;D  Handle does not work on either side.  ::)

Electric door locks?

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2360 on: November 23, 2022, 05:22:54 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion John and you made me go out with my flashlight to check a few things -  :D The door lock button on that bad passenger door works all the locks expect on that door and the actual  manual button when worked by hand just goes back and forth with no resistance. The interior as well as exterior door handle does not seem to be catching anything either as I feel no resistance like a mechanism moving,catching etc.. I need to google someone putting in a window motor which doesn't work on that side either and maybe see what is lurking behind that door panel before my guy gets to opening it with his magic tool and I can know what to expect in there.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2361 on: November 25, 2022, 03:04:04 am »

Terry, Check out the US based YouTube channel WatchJRgo. He recently bought an early 2000's XJ8, different model but same engine, that had been abandoned at a dealer for about a decade. It only has 70k miles on it, but he had to track down a bunch of issues to get it running again, you might get some good info that applies to your car.

Thanks Danny, I'll check it out. ;D

Online 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today
« Reply #2362 on: November 25, 2022, 04:36:16 am »

Nice!  Thermostat was my first ever job on car in USA when we moved here in 1997. Ford Taurus station wagon would do the same - almost no heat and temp was always low. Loved that thing, it was spacy and comfortable. 

I had some previous experience of course since I worked on my CZ250 and later CBX750 in Prague  - and I knew T-55 to the last bolt  ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2363 on: November 29, 2022, 09:45:43 am »
Thanks for the suggestion John and you made me go out with my flashlight to check a few things -  :D The door lock button on that bad passenger door works all the locks expect on that door and the actual  manual button when worked by hand just goes back and forth with no resistance. The interior as well as exterior door handle does not seem to be catching anything either as I feel no resistance like a mechanism moving,catching etc.. I need to google someone putting in a window motor which doesn't work on that side either and maybe see what is lurking behind that door panel before my guy gets to opening it with his magic tool and I can know what to expect in there.

Sounds like quite the mystery! Will be interested in the solution......
A few years ago, all the door controlled items in my old Grand Cherokee stopped working and the interior lights were permanently on. Took me hours to discover one TINY, broken power wire in the wad of wires going to the driver’s door control panel. They broke in the not so flexible, door hinge area. Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 09:51:08 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2364 on: November 29, 2022, 10:11:56 am »
Are the days of mechanical linkage to door locks over and now the button activates a solenoid to drive the locking function?

Online 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2365 on: November 30, 2022, 03:18:12 pm »

Our 04 GC would break wire to the passenger door and all electrical would go waco. Never found out why, but reconnecting that wire always fixed it. 

Sounds like quite the mystery! Will be interested in the solution......
A few years ago, all the door controlled items in my old Grand Cherokee stopped working and the interior lights were permanently on. Took me hours to discover one TINY, broken power wire in the wad of wires going to the driver’s door control panel. They broke in the not so flexible, door hinge area. Good luck!

Offline jlh3rd

• Expert
« Reply #2366 on: December 01, 2022, 06:33:38 am »
Are the days of mechanical linkage to door locks over and now the button activates a solenoid to drive the locking function?

I'd say pretty much. My '02 camaro has a mechanical slide switch in the panel to lock/unlock the door. My '08 silverado WT does still have the push/pull  mechanical door lock we grew up with. The 2013 toyota and 2012 volvo...nope, all solenoid....

and the truck has no fob, no electric windows or door locks, no screen....I'm keeping it....

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=l3u2smfvbecrtt0uj84dtt3l80&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #2367 on: December 08, 2022, 02:34:37 am »
gave the diehatsu dinetrol anti rust.......still alive..

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/70mO-4xzXlM
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2368 on: December 08, 2022, 02:43:00 am »
Man you are trusting that front end loader / tractor a lot!

Surprised it can pick up that much weight.

Apparently it can do it without harming it either? I would expect it to scratch the sides of the SUV...

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=l3u2smfvbecrtt0uj84dtt3l80&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #2369 on: December 08, 2022, 02:47:31 am »
it have forks build in the front bucket..and i have extendet them to go the vhole vay undet both maintubes of the frame..
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2370 on: December 13, 2022, 07:03:58 pm »
I don't have a project currently so I pulled my 15 year old riding mower into the garage for a rehab.  All new belts are on the way to include an upper drive one that I know is going to test my patience.  The mower deck is off and there are cracks around one of the supports, so it is off to the one and only welding shop left in my area, the guy is good, but charges a small fortune.  (Always intended to buy a small welder and learn enough to be dangerous but somehow it was never in the cards.)  Even with the repair and parts list, it is still worth trying to keep the old workhorse up and running, for a few more years. I priced a new one, damn, I remember when you could buy a new motorcycle for that kind of money.......

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2371 on: December 15, 2022, 07:22:32 am »
I don't have a project currently so I pulled my 15 year old riding mower into the garage for a rehab.  All new belts are on the way to include an upper drive one that I know is going to test my patience.  The mower deck is off and there are cracks around one of the supports, so it is off to the one and only welding shop left in my area, the guy is good, but charges a small fortune.  (Always intended to buy a small welder and learn enough to be dangerous but somehow it was never in the cards.)  Even with the repair and parts list, it is still worth trying to keep the old workhorse up and running, for a few more years. I priced a new one, damn, I remember when you could buy a new motorcycle for that kind of money.......

Our 25 year old, 20 ho Craftsman needs the same work. It’s sitting in the shop right now. Two years ago I stripped and welded up the deck. New ones were still available ($500) at the time. I may still order one as it seems to be the weak link. As you say, new mowers are priced HIGH.

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2372 on: December 15, 2022, 02:22:56 pm »
 I ordered replacement rear wheels for the Peg Perigo toy John Deere gator my grandkids ride. That thing is a beast, it's been through two sets of kids and now has an 18-volt drill battery on it. They drift it regularly. I considered screwing bicycle tread to the wheels but if they had traction, it would be scarier. 
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2373 on: December 15, 2022, 03:22:45 pm »
My little truck has overheated twice in recent weeks. Both times in city traffic, which was pretty annoying. Last week I was spending so much time looking at my temp gauge that I drove thru two 40 KPH speed cameras at around 60 KPH, so am expecting two big fines in the mail anytime now. The cooling system has always been suspect, it had some sort of cooling system sealant in the radiator when I bought it that may have been related to the issues I'm noticing now, but I never had the temp gauge go higher than the middle mark, where it usually sits. What has happened a couple of times though, is after a long-ish drive in traffic, when I get it home, I could hear the coolant bubbling away, so flushed the cooling system and replaced the thermostat.

I replaced the MAF sensor a couple of months ago. I wasn't happy that while the picture on Ebay was of a genuine Mitsubishi MAF, the one I received was a chinese copy. Also, when I installed it, the car didn't run as smoothly. It was only after installing the MAF sensor that the overheating events happened, so even though I've bought a new water pump and radiator "just in case", yesterday I removed the MAF sensor, gave the old OEM sensor a clean and reinstalled it. It ran like crap initially, but after 10 minutes or so started running smoothly, and after 25 minutes or so was back to normal. I drove it to my local shopping centre on my way home and bought some Chinese food for lunch, and when I came out the little truck started right up and ran like a charm. I purposely drove it in slow moving traffic to see if it would overheat, but no, the temp gauge needle didn't move.

My theory (which could be completely wrong) is that the "new" crappy Chinese MAF sensor made the engine run too lean, which was the cause of the overheating. I could be wrong, but I'm hoping that I'm not. In a couple of days the temps will be double what they were yesterday, so will be a good opportunity to either prove, or disprove my theory, but the good thing is that if I'm wrong and I have a bad water pump or rad, I have them here to install. Hopefully they won't be necessary. ;D 

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2374 on: December 16, 2022, 12:00:05 am »
if the old coolant was rustyish,maybe the impellor on the water pump has lost its impellors?ive seen that 3 or 4 times on engines and it was the cure.