Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 171042 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2375 on: December 16, 2022, 12:35:14 am »
if the old coolant was rustyish,maybe the impellor on the water pump has lost its impellors?ive seen that 3 or 4 times on engines and it was the cure.

Could well be Dave, it was a little warmer today and I had to drive my truck over to Bunnings, Total Tools and Mowers Plus today, the traffic was heavy and while it didn't overheat, the temp gauge did rise a little past the middle mark, so I've decided to replace the pump and radiator. I remember seeing some sludge in the coolant when I replaced the head, probably a leftover from some previous (poor) work I noticed. While I did flush the block I forgot to open the heater valve and flush the heater core that time, so today I bought 10 litres of coolant, some radiator flush, and some Penrite coolant de-greaser, an acid based cleaner for washing all the oil and gunge out of the cooling system. I'll backflush the block and heater, then replace the pump and radiator, clean out the expansion tank, and it should be good. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2376 on: December 16, 2022, 12:58:38 am »
if the old coolant was rustyish,maybe the impellor on the water pump has lost its impellors?ive seen that 3 or 4 times on engines and it was the cure.

Could well be Dave, it was a little warmer today and I had to drive my truck over to Bunnings, Total Tools and Mowers Plus today, the traffic was heavy and while it didn't overheat, the temp gauge did rise a little past the middle mark, so I've decided to replace the pump and radiator. I remember seeing some sludge in the coolant when I replaced the head, probably a leftover from some previous (poor) work I noticed. While I did flush the block I forgot to open the heater valve and flush the heater core that time, so today I bought 10 litres of coolant, some radiator flush, and some Penrite coolant de-greaser, an acid based cleaner for washing all the oil and gunge out of the cooling system. I'll backflush the block and heater, then replace the pump and radiator, clean out the expansion tank, and it should be good. ;D

Some of those cooling system flush treatments are great;they will probably even remove a little built-up scale in the water jackets of the block too.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Online 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2377 on: December 16, 2022, 02:53:53 am »
I bought new exhaust for the Grand Cherokee - on Amazon, that's a first.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2378 on: December 16, 2022, 02:30:07 pm »

Some of those cooling system flush treatments are great;they will probably even remove a little built-up scale in the water jackets of the block too.

Yes Bill, that was one of the promises I read on the bottle, hopefully this will sort the cooling system as it's the only thing letting the little truck down now, it starts and runs fine, is as nice to drive as a little truck could be expected (suspension is harsh, but acceptable) but if it's not gonna keep it's cool in any weather it's gonna be a problem. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2379 on: December 16, 2022, 07:26:07 pm »
I don't have a project currently so I pulled my 15 year old riding mower into the garage for a rehab.  All new belts are on the way to include an upper drive one that I know is going to test my patience.  The mower deck is off and there are cracks around one of the supports, so it is off to the one and only welding shop left in my area, the guy is good, but charges a small fortune.  (Always intended to buy a small welder and learn enough to be dangerous but somehow it was never in the cards.)  Even with the repair and parts list, it is still worth trying to keep the old workhorse up and running, for a few more years. I priced a new one, damn, I remember when you could buy a new motorcycle for that kind of money.......

Our 25 year old, 20 ho Craftsman needs the same work. It’s sitting in the shop right now. Two years ago I stripped and welded up the deck. New ones were still available ($500) at the time. I may still order one as it seems to be the weak link. As you say, new mowers are priced HIGH.

Well it is back together, and runs pretty damn good.  I watched a couple of You Tube videos on how to change belts on the mower, it is a Huskee, but nearly all are made by the same company, MTD.  I found the short cut, pull the mower tin entirely, total of six bolts, the battery and a seat, gives perfect access to all three belts and a chance to clean out 14 years of grass shavings.  It was a lot of up and down on the garage floor and I am sore as hell, but I have pulled a couple more years out of the "Old Girl".  I even broke down and ordered a new steering shaft and assembly plate, now I won't have to go into the next county to make a sharp turn. 

I have to tell you the deck welding scenario.  I dropped it off, was quoted a rate of $140 bucks an hour labor and I knew damn well it was going to be at least an hour's work.  The owner said he was going to weld a square of plate steel over the cracks under the deck and also weld the bracket from the top for added strength, which sounded like a good plan.  Surprisingly the kid who works for him called me in less than two hours and said the deck was done.  I thanked him for the fast service and asked what the total bill was, the response, "$419.12," my response, "ok very funny, what is my bill really" his response "no sir the bill is $419.12, my response, "@##$ ^&*%( &%%)& , I'll be right there and we need to talk.  When I walked in the office, he was about 19 years old and you could tell he wasn't happy to see me.  He started with the explanation of how much the price of steel has risen and was going up daily.  I asked to see the work order, and the break down was, one hour's labor, $140.00 and a 2 x 6 piece of steel under materials, with a price of$276.12. I knew then what the issue was, he had charged me for feet and the steel piece was in inches. When I told him that, his response " I will have to call in the back and verify that, my response, "very good idea".  The response from the welder was the best one in this whole story, " Boy how in the hell could I have welded a 2' by 6' piece of solid steel under a 3' mower deck, get you head out of your ___. "  The bill was quickly amended to $143.34 by a very meek and red faced young man, and I left in a really good mood for the rest of the day.........

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2380 on: December 16, 2022, 07:51:56 pm »
yeah bloody insane,welding can be exxy,we used to get skip bins repaired but now scrap them and get new ones,the labour price is too high to stuff around cutting rusted sections and painting etc.
this morning a mate bought his toyota prado or whatever it is around,hes only had it a short while a used but not old car,he does hes own oil changes but this thing has rock slide plate under the engine and transmission with a stupid offset hole somewhat near the sump drain plug but no way good enough to actually drain the oil,we pulled it off 7 bolts and just cut a bigger hole with chamfered edges and all good for the future,what a dumb design?its a proper aftermarket thing for that car.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2381 on: December 16, 2022, 08:33:31 pm »
This is one of those stories when I am happy that I had to learn welding for my automotive degree. It's such a useful and satisfying skill. I've fixed everything from golf carts to trucks. My friend and I went in on a quality welder and it is worth the money. The best thing I've built is a 12' single axle 4500lb flatbed trailer. This last summer we replaced the 10yo wood deck with diamond plate steel.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 08:45:32 pm by Kelly E »
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2382 on: December 16, 2022, 10:47:13 pm »
i built a trailer years ago and used what we call "checker plate" or "tread plate" steel right from the get go,you cant buy a trailer as good as youll build yourself?i made mine with removable front n rear tailgates and a bolt in easily fitted or removed bike front wheel holder.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 10:55:42 pm by dave500 »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2383 on: December 16, 2022, 11:10:53 pm »
Nice trailers;that's a very nice blue Dave.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2384 on: December 16, 2022, 11:29:05 pm »
it got a custom build plate Bill,the bike wheel attachment also is special.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 11:34:27 pm by dave500 »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2385 on: December 17, 2022, 07:48:26 am »
I don't have a project currently so I pulled my 15 year old riding mower into the garage for a rehab.  All new belts are on the way to include an upper drive one that I know is going to test my patience.  The mower deck is off and there are cracks around one of the supports, so it is off to the one and only welding shop left in my area, the guy is good, but charges a small fortune.  (Always intended to buy a small welder and learn enough to be dangerous but somehow it was never in the cards.)  Even with the repair and parts list, it is still worth trying to keep the old workhorse up and running, for a few more years. I priced a new one, damn, I remember when you could buy a new motorcycle for that kind of money.......

Our 25 year old, 20 ho Craftsman needs the same work. It’s sitting in the shop right now. Two years ago I stripped and welded up the deck. New ones were still available ($500) at the time. I may still order one as it seems to be the weak link. As you say, new mowers are priced HIGH.

Well it is back together, and runs pretty damn good.  I watched a couple of You Tube videos on how to change belts on the mower, it is a Huskee, but nearly all are made by the same company, MTD.  I found the short cut, pull the mower tin entirely, total of six bolts, the battery and a seat, gives perfect access to all three belts and a chance to clean out 14 years of grass shavings.  It was a lot of up and down on the garage floor and I am sore as hell, but I have pulled a couple more years out of the "Old Girl".  I even broke down and ordered a new steering shaft and assembly plate, now I won't have to go into the next county to make a sharp turn. 

I have to tell you the deck welding scenario.  I dropped it off, was quoted a rate of $140 bucks an hour labor and I knew damn well it was going to be at least an hour's work.  The owner said he was going to weld a square of plate steel over the cracks under the deck and also weld the bracket from the top for added strength, which sounded like a good plan.  Surprisingly the kid who works for him called me in less than two hours and said the deck was done.  I thanked him for the fast service and asked what the total bill was, the response, "$419.12," my response, "ok very funny, what is my bill really" his response "no sir the bill is $419.12, my response, "@##$ ^&*%( &%%)& , I'll be right there and we need to talk.  When I walked in the office, he was about 19 years old and you could tell he wasn't happy to see me.  He started with the explanation of how much the price of steel has risen and was going up daily.  I asked to see the work order, and the break down was, one hour's labor, $140.00 and a 2 x 6 piece of steel under materials, with a price of$276.12. I knew then what the issue was, he had charged me for feet and the steel piece was in inches. When I told him that, his response " I will have to call in the back and verify that, my response, "very good idea".  The response from the welder was the best one in this whole story, " Boy how in the hell could I have welded a 2' by 6' piece of solid steel under a 3' mower deck, get you head out of your ___. "  The bill was quickly amended to $143.34 by a very meek and red faced young man, and I left in a really good mood for the rest of the day.........

Parallel lives! My Craftsman is actually a Huskey too. Last major repair was a steering gear assembly. The teeth on the “1/2 moon” gear and the pinion gear we’re totally worn out.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2386 on: December 17, 2022, 08:06:51 am »
Put this into that recently on my lawn/garden tractor.Very small crack in sidewall was a leaker, no more !

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2387 on: December 17, 2022, 08:30:12 am »
Put this into that recently on my lawn/garden tractor.Very small crack in sidewall was a leaker, no more !

Originally tubeless ?

Online 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2388 on: December 17, 2022, 08:44:42 am »
I am wrestling with the Grand Cherokee exhaust.  What came from Amazon is close but not a bolt on.  I have to get one connector and also a clamp.  The other pieces I found in my stash of exhaust cuts and pieces. 

But only one of the clamps in the package was the size needed - the other one was the same size and I need a bigger one. 

Anyway, it still easier to adapt it than return to Amazon. 

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2389 on: December 17, 2022, 11:42:30 am »

Originally tubeless ?
Yep

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2390 on: December 17, 2022, 02:45:13 pm »

I did the same and it didn't last long. When I pulled the tire and tube, discovered the wheel was two half’s, welded together. The welds were so crappy there was little mountains of “splatter”. One of them worked it’s way right through the tube. Smoothed them off with a grinder and no problem since. Hope you have better luck!

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2391 on: December 17, 2022, 09:42:19 pm »

I did the same and it didn't last long. When I pulled the tire and tube, discovered the wheel was two half’s, welded together. The welds were so crappy there was little mountains of “splatter”. One of them worked it’s way right through the tube. Smoothed them off with a grinder and no problem since. Hope you have better luck!
Luckily these are nice and smooth inside. I was worried about a nail or something still there but all I could find was the little crack in the inner sidewall making 'tiny bubbles' as Hawaiian  singer Don Ho used to sing.

Offline britman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2392 on: December 18, 2022, 05:29:31 am »
Luckily these are nice and smooth inside. I was worried about a nail or something still there but all I could find was the little crack in the inner sidewall making 'tiny bubbles' as Hawaiian  singer Don Ho used to sing.

I was in Vietnam I took an R&R (Rest and Relaxation given by Uncle Sam for 7 days), it was in Hawaii with my first Wife.  We saw Don Ho perform, that damn song will stay in your head for days.  The song lasted, the first marriage however, ended on a different tune. Something more like, "She got the goldmine, I got the shaft".   Such is life.....

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2393 on: December 18, 2022, 07:59:46 am »
My memory of Don Ho was 1977 and as a senior in high school we would run over to my friends house close by for lunch, eat a peanut butter sandwich, drink some cheap sloe gin, watch a little Don Ho and TV then head back to school. -  ;D ;D  Had his own show back then.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2394 on: December 19, 2022, 10:46:34 am »
Do you know how "one thing leads to another"?!  [not the song by The Fixx!]

Well, one of my head lights was out on the Tacoma, so popped out the bulb and checked the leads for voltage, yes have12V.
So, ordered a bulb on Amazon, 8 bucks. Was twice the price at the local Autozone and am no rush to have it, will be here tomorrow.

Thought I should clean the bugs of the headlight since I was there.
Then noticed the battery terminals had some corrosion, so popped them off and cleaned 'em up.
Then thought I would detail the engine compartment up a bit.
Then the grill was a little loose so tightened that up a bit.
Then cleaned up the tires as they were a bit dirty from being at the Ranch.
Then thought I should wash it, but decided not to as there was a 90% chance of rain today!

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #2395 on: December 19, 2022, 10:55:18 am »
So, ordered a bulb on Amazon, 8 bucks. Was twice the price at the local Autozone and am no rush to have it, will be here tomorrow.

Automobile light bulb quality seems to have declined along with a lot of other things these days.  Even Sylvania, which used to be the gold standard, is hit or miss. Don't get me started on thermostats and radiator caps.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2396 on: December 19, 2022, 11:48:44 am »

Automobile light bulb quality seems to have declined along with a lot of other things these days. 

My truck came to me with aftermarket headlights and the bulbs are Osrams, which are made in Germany, and I think good quality.
So I ordered the same...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CR66BZ8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2397 on: December 19, 2022, 11:59:14 am »
Osram are usually good quality. There are a couple places that make heavy duty bulbs with filaments made for vibration intense activities like off-road and motorcycles tend to see more of...
Usually special order and difficult to find...randakk's and Aerostich seem to carry them from time to time if I remember correctly.
Xeon filled bulbs will operate with a whiter light, fwiw.
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2398 on: December 19, 2022, 02:59:37 pm »
I think I've cured the little truck's overheating issue. I didn't want to swap out the water pump if I didn't have to, so phase 1 on Sunday was flushing the cooling system and testing the thermostat, I'd only installed it a month or two ago, but as the overheating started around the same time I thought I'd better make sure that it was functioning, so I dipped it in boiling water and it opened fine. I flushed the system with the thermostat out and heater on, then flushed the block again to make sure the chemical flush was all gone, filled it up with fresh coolant, burped all the air out, and took it for a drive. Sadly it made little difference, the temp gauge kept climbing past it's usual halfway mark to almost boiling, so I crept home and parked it.

Yesterday, between mowing, weed whacking, sweeping, hedge trimming, cobweb removing, junk disposing/hiding, I swapped out the radiator, which was my last hope before I would have had to replace the water pump. Really easy job, so I figured that if it didn't cure the issue, it wouldn't be too painful to pull it back out again if I had to replace the pump. I had the old one out and the new one installed, in 30 minutes. I'd drained the rad into a the original coolant bottle and it was still nice and clean so I just tipped it back in, and had to add around another litre to fill the new rad back up.

Once again, I burped the bubbles out and let it run for 15 minutes or so at idle in my driveway, then took it for a 30 minute drive in lunchtime traffic (busy) in 82 deg F temps, and the gauge didn't move past the normal halfway mark, woohoo! Hopefully it's fixed, there were a couple of motorcycle "bargains" out in the country I could have bought recently, but didn't have any confidence that my little truck would have made it, so didn't follow up on them, but hopefully it's all good to go now, and I can use it. I checked the oil for the first time since I installed the new head a few months back, and I've used a litre of oil in a little over 1500 miles which isn't great, but not too terrible. ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2399 on: December 19, 2022, 03:37:13 pm »
 Our racecar was having cooling issues, so I bought a new radiator and then a bigger electric water pump. It seemed worse, then I noticed the data recorder was turning off at half-track. It turned out to be a voltage problem, the alternator wasn't making enough power and the battery was short on reserve, the voltage dropped below 11.5 at half-track. 
 A new Oddysey battery, better wiring and a bigger alternator and it is cooling better as well as getting data for the full run. An MSD ignition, electric water pump, dual fuel pumps, electric fan, data recorder, EFI, even the air shifter has a solenoid. It all adds up.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.