Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 170823 times)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2400 on: December 19, 2022, 03:38:12 pm »
I finished the exhaust for the 2004 Grand Cherokee.  I had to make my own bushings since 2 5/8" connectors are non existant.  But its in and there is no leak. 

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2401 on: December 20, 2022, 06:00:49 am »
I finished the exhaust for the 2004 Grand Cherokee.  I had to make my own bushings since 2 5/8" connectors are non existant.  But its in and there is no leak.

I had to scrap my 19 year JEEP a few months ago.i’ve had To older style Cherokee SPORTS and the last one was a straight-6 Grand Cherokee..... my wife’s Sante Fe is a nice vehicle, but I”m looking around for a smaller, two door Jeep.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 09:21:12 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2402 on: December 20, 2022, 03:01:40 pm »
Our racecar was having cooling issues, so I bought a new radiator and then a bigger electric water pump. It seemed worse, then I noticed the data recorder was turning off at half-track. It turned out to be a voltage problem, the alternator wasn't making enough power and the battery was short on reserve, the voltage dropped below 11.5 at half-track. 
 A new Oddysey battery, better wiring and a bigger alternator and it is cooling better as well as getting data for the full run. An MSD ignition, electric water pump, dual fuel pumps, electric fan, data recorder, EFI, even the air shifter has a solenoid. It all adds up.

Yeah I wondered if I had an electrical issue that was affecting my little truck Don, so I checked the battery and alternator output, but it's fine. I have some hugely expensive Odyssey batteries that I was given at the start of the year and have no use for, I'm thinking that one might just fit the battery tray of the little truck as they're too big for my other cars. I did see a guy on Youtube in the US using a 12V battery and an inverter to run his heating system for a couple of days in a power outage so maybe I should buy some inverters to run stuff around the house if the power goes out? The batteries retail for over $700 each and I have 4 of them, so I need to find a use for them eventually. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2403 on: December 20, 2022, 03:46:03 pm »
Our racecar was having cooling issues, so I bought a new radiator and then a bigger electric water pump. It seemed worse, then I noticed the data recorder was turning off at half-track. It turned out to be a voltage problem, the alternator wasn't making enough power and the battery was short on reserve, the voltage dropped below 11.5 at half-track. 
 A new Oddysey battery, better wiring and a bigger alternator and it is cooling better as well as getting data for the full run. An MSD ignition, electric water pump, dual fuel pumps, electric fan, data recorder, EFI, even the air shifter has a solenoid. It all adds up.

Yeah I wondered if I had an electrical issue that was affecting my little truck Don, so I checked the battery and alternator output, but it's fine. I have some hugely expensive Odyssey batteries that I was given at the start of the year and have no use for, I'm thinking that one might just fit the battery tray of the little truck as they're too big for my other cars. I did see a guy on Youtube in the US using a 12V battery and an inverter to run his heating system for a couple of days in a power outage so maybe I should buy some inverters to run stuff around the house if the power goes out? The batteries retail for over $700 each and I have 4 of them, so I need to find a use for them eventually. ;D

What model Odyssey batteries are they Terry;are they lead/acid or AGM type,you got a pic?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2404 on: December 20, 2022, 04:50:57 pm »

I had to scrap my 19 year JEEP a few months ago.i’ve had To older style Cherokee SPORTS and the last one was a straight-6 Grand Cherokee..... my wife’s Sante Feis a nice vehicle, but I”m looking around for a smaller, two door Jeep.

Yes, straight 4.0.  2004 was the last year it was used.  It has 292 000 miles on it, she been to Yellowstone, Tombstone and Grand Canyon and all our three kids learned to drive her.  I will have hard time sending her to scrap. 

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2405 on: December 21, 2022, 04:23:18 am »
In the last few days I looked at my 93 Chevy 3500, it needs a starter looks like the bushing in the nose cone wore the rest of the way out.
Fixed the continuous battery draw on my Civic which I'm driving right now. And tried to get my 61 running again still not getting any fire to the plugs but fire at my point. With a new tap button point dwell in timing are good it's just got me scratching my head.

It's going to end up being something stupid I just haven't figured out what yet.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2406 on: December 22, 2022, 09:57:55 pm »
check the ballast resistor?disconnect the starter and with meter on the coil pos should go 12v on crank,then about 8/9v with ignition just switched on,might be dead on crank?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2407 on: December 23, 2022, 02:30:02 pm »

What model Odyssey batteries are they Terry;are they lead/acid or AGM type,you got a pic?

I can't take a pic as I've buried them deep in my garage Bill, but they're AGM. I actually charged one up after running it flat just with my little old "Dumb" charger, as none of my "smart" chargers would work with it. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2408 on: December 23, 2022, 03:59:35 pm »

I can't take a pic as I've buried them deep in my garage Bill, but they're AGM. I actually charged one up after running it flat just with my little old "Dumb" charger, as none of my "smart" chargers would work with it. ;D

Terry,are they Military batteries? What's the standard application they usually fit ?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2409 on: December 24, 2022, 08:21:28 pm »

Terry,are they Military batteries? What's the standard application they usually fit ?

No not Milspec batteries Bill, although they were used with a now obsolete radar system. They look just like a big car battery but instead of terminals they have a threaded hole at either end with a 6mm bolt in each. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2410 on: December 24, 2022, 08:30:51 pm »

No not Milspec batteries Bill, although they were used with a now obsolete radar system. They look just like a big car battery but instead of terminals they have a threaded hole at either end with a 6mm bolt in each. ;D

They seem like just the thing to use in your truck/Ute to have when you need to jump-start something.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2411 on: December 24, 2022, 08:40:38 pm »

They seem like just the thing to use in your truck/Ute to have when you need to jump-start something.

Yep, not sure if one will fit under the hood, but I’ll put one in the back to operate the winch, air compressor etc. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2412 on: December 29, 2022, 11:29:17 am »
Wasted 1/2 day putting my neighbours 3 cylinder snow machine back together(Skidoo). He needs a few more parts before we can finish. Nice guy, helps out at the race track, so can’t say no......

New crank, bearings, rods, pistons and seals. It’s been laying all over one of my benches since February, want it gone!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2413 on: December 29, 2022, 02:19:46 pm »
Wasted 1/2 day putting my neighbours 3 cylinder snow machine back together(Skidoo). He needs a few more parts before we can finish. Nice guy, helps out at the race track, so can’t say no......

New crank, bearings, rods, pistons and seals. It’s been laying all over one of my benches since February, want it gone!

Lack of parts availability John?

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2414 on: December 30, 2022, 09:36:29 am »

Not really. My cheap neighbour only orders parts when I refuse to reuse the originals! It’s a ROTAX and parts availability seems good.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2415 on: December 30, 2022, 10:46:19 am »

Not really. My cheap neighbour only orders parts when I refuse to reuse the originals! It’s a ROTAX and parts availability seems good.

:o  ::)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2416 on: December 31, 2022, 08:41:32 am »

Almost done! New pistons and rings..... will probably have to drag the sled into my shop and do the installation next. Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 08:44:10 am by BenelliSEI »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2417 on: December 31, 2022, 03:42:42 pm »

Almost done! New pistons and rings..... will probably have to drag the sled into my shop and do the installation next. Happy New Year!

That's a good looking engine John, how many cc's? I've seen a couple of snowmobile engines in home made bikes and go carts on Youtube, I wonder if you could hook up a gearbox to one and stick it in a bike frame for some smokey fun? ;D

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2418 on: December 31, 2022, 05:47:20 pm »
I replaced carburetor on a snowblower.  Not mine, I got it for my daughter and it did not make it to Detroit yet.  Anyway, the old one kept leaking and never ran right.  Took off the cover to replace the priming pump and the tube connected to it.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2419 on: January 01, 2023, 01:39:19 pm »

That's a good looking engine John, how many cc's? I've seen a couple of snowmobile engines in home made bikes and go carts on Youtube, I wonder if you could hook up a gearbox to one and stick it in a bike frame for some smokey fun? ;D

3 cylinder, water cooled. Fairly robust, probably 5-600 cc’s. Best suited to belt drive, they do howl!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2420 on: January 04, 2023, 03:15:06 am »
Sounds good John. Well I'm happy to report that my little truck's overheating issues are now gone, and I drove 440 miles over the last couple of days to visit my 94 year old mum/mom and return the Velo/Solex mopeds to my cuz. While I was at his place he showed me the beautiful original 3 owner 1933 Dodge 6 with original paint and 1 owner 1967 Mercedes "Pagoda" 250SL that he's wisely invested some of his retirement savings in, beautiful cars, luckily he's on a few acres with an ever-expanding car barn, sadly I don't have the room to adequately store the sh1tboxes that I love to drive, let alone something fancy.

But I digress. The little truck's temp gauge didn't move past the halfway mark the whole trip, even when I was in the "bumper to bumper" McDonald's drive-thru queue this morning on the way back, so I'm happy to say that it's now "Roadtrip Ready" for any motorcycle/parts (or both) trips that I might want to do in 2023 and beyond. Luckily I didn't need to replace the water pump, the problem was my old radiator, I'm guessing that the core was blocked as I haven't had an issue since I replaced it with the new $118 Ebay rad.

I took this pic after refuelling it, it's getting 30 MPG by my calculations, which is slightly better than my "Daily Driver" Subaru Liberty (Legacy in the US) I'm betting the fact that the engine's only doing 1600 RPM's @ 60 MPH has a lot to do with that, I think the Subaru is doing around 1000 RPM more at the same speed. ;D

Triton Wednesday 4 January 2023 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr       

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2421 on: January 04, 2023, 05:24:33 am »
Terry.....”looks good, runs good”. Time to heave it alone! Well done.

Offline 70CB750

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2422 on: January 04, 2023, 05:48:55 am »
I closed up the wheel on the sidecar.  1/4" of 6061 thinned from the inner side.  It was a bit of a challenge to make on  milling machine and lathe.  It's held in place by an o-ring.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2423 on: January 04, 2023, 02:21:21 pm »

Thanks John, yep, I’ll return to my motorcycle loader project now so I can load and unload big bikes on my own. I put that project aside while I was working on making the little truck reliable. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2424 on: January 04, 2023, 04:54:49 pm »

Thanks John, yep, I’ll return to my motorcycle loader project now so I can load and unload big bikes on my own. I put that project aside while I was working on making the little truck reliable. ;D

Good on you Terry for sorting out the vehicle before building the loader ramp.