Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 170698 times)

Offline CB750R

• Hot Shot
  • 77 CB750F
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2450 on: January 14, 2023, 08:55:18 am »
I electrified the trunk of my VW golf!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2451 on: January 15, 2023, 11:38:40 am »
Commandos are suppose to be tough to kill…

Yep, but I’m not sure about 62 year old ex-Commando’s David, a lot of my peers have passed before me.

Anyway, I’ve decided that my old Subaru daily driver thinks that it’s a two stroke. I gave it an oil and filter change at the 266,000 Km mark, and as today’s my first day back in the office I filled it with fuel, pumped the tires up and checked the fluids.

Coolant was fine, as was brake fluid, power steering fluid and ATF. I pulled the dipstick out of the engine and it didn’t have a drop of oil on it! Fcuk! Only a fool buys oil from a gas station so I hot footed it home and put a litre of oil and a quart of Moreys oil thickener into it. I’m going to have to check it more regularly than biannually I guess…… No leaks, just “Up in smoke”. (And it doesn’t smoke either) ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2452 on: January 15, 2023, 12:18:50 pm »

Yep, but I’m not sure about 62 year old ex-Commando’s David, a lot of my peers have passed before me.

Anyway, I’ve decided that my old Subaru daily driver thinks that it’s a two stroke. I gave it an oil and filter change at the 266,000 Km mark, and as today’s my first day back in the office I filled it with fuel, pumped the tires up and checked the fluids.

Coolant was fine, as was brake fluid, power steering fluid and ATF. I pulled the dipstick out of the engine and it didn’t have a drop of oil on it! Fcuk! Only a fool buys oil from a gas station so I hot footed it home and put a litre of oil and a quart of Moreys oil thickener into it. I’m going to have to check it more regularly than biannually I guess…… No leaks, just “Up in smoke”. (And it doesn’t smoke either) ;D

I hope your engine is still able to run Terry;what do you think happened to the oil ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2453 on: January 15, 2023, 12:53:22 pm »

I hope your engine is still able to run Terry;what do you think happened to the oil ?

It goes like a Rocket Bill, I drove it in to work this morning and love the AWD and it’s ability to go around corners in the wet like a little go cart. I think it just uses oil, the cam end seals (that look just like fork seals) were leaking when I got it but they were replaced and it hasn’t leaked a drop since. The funny thing is that with all my other cars I can tell when they need oil when I can here the hydraulic lifters ticking, but the Subaru engine has virtually no engine noise at all. Anyway it’s still the best $500 I ever spent, so I’ll keep it until either one of us dies. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2454 on: January 15, 2023, 12:57:11 pm »

My wife’s 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (all wheel drive) is the same! No smoke, no leaks. But I have to check it regularly. It does have a dirty tailpipe and I suspect most of it goes out through the turbo lubrication system. Thing runs great, clean oil and no “check engine” lights... 225,000 kilometres. Uses a litre every 2,000 klicks. If I wasn’t around she would have blown it up years ago!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2455 on: January 15, 2023, 01:06:16 pm »

My wife’s 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (all wheel drive) is the same! No smoke, no leaks. But I have to check it regularly. It does have a dirty tailpipe and I suspect most of it goes out through the turbo lubrication system. Thing runs great, clean oil and no “check engine” lights... 225,000 kilometres. Uses a litre every 2,000 klicks. If I wasn’t around she would have blown it up years ago!

Speaking of turbo cars, I must check my other Subaru, the twin turbo B4 beastie. I gave it an oil and filter change about the same time as my non-turbo daily driver, and while I haven’t driven it anywhere as far, it might need some checking too.

It really needs a turbo Subaru expert to check it out, it starts and runs fine, but if I lug it the “Check engine” light comes on and it goes into limp mode (the fix is to switch the engine off and back on whilst in motion) and I feel like the primary turbo isn’t functioning because it’s a tad gutless up to 4K RPM when the big one comes on hard and scares the bejeezus out of me. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2456 on: January 15, 2023, 01:36:36 pm »

Speaking of turbo cars, I must check my other Subaru, the twin turbo B4 beastie. I gave it an oil and filter change about the same time as my non-turbo daily driver, and while I haven’t driven it anywhere as far, it might need some checking too.

It really needs a turbo Subaru expert to check it out, it starts and runs fine, but if I lug it the “Check engine” light comes on and it goes into limp mode (the fix is to switch the engine off and back on whilst in motion) and I feel like the primary turbo isn’t functioning because it’s a tad gutless up to 4K RPM when the big one comes on hard and scares the bejeezus out of me. ;D

Terry.... On my Volvo T5 the boost was coming on erratically. A TBC (turbo boost control) valve, about $100, cured it totally.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2457 on: January 15, 2023, 01:52:52 pm »

Terry.... On my Volvo T5 the boost was coming on erratically. A TBC (turbo boost control) valve, about $100, cured it totally.

Thanks John, it’s got one, but I think the wastegate on the primary turbo is seized. (Common on this model) There should be instant “grunt” via the primary turbo then a smooth transition to the secondary turbo. ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2458 on: January 18, 2023, 08:19:28 am »
Got the '69 Mustang out of my buddies engine shop.  It was running good but I was getting blow by into the valve covers with oil spewing out.  This was my brother's car and it sat for 5+ years before he agreed to sell to me.  A failed leak down test prompted us to do an engine removal and check every thing out before something bad happens [think big bang bike!].

Turns out the intake and head gaskets were well past their prime and had small sections missing.  Rod bearings were also worn, but all else looked good.  Had the aluminum heads and intake vapor blasted while they were off and now the motor runs and looks great!

The tires are very old and I just ordered new Falkens for it [ultra high performance street tire]

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2459 on: January 18, 2023, 08:46:14 am »
Lovely car Steve. My favorite Mustang body style. Couple more pics please ! 351 cubes and stick or auto ?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 08:49:13 am by ekpent »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2460 on: January 18, 2023, 01:42:04 pm »
One healthy motor. Tires old or abused??

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2461 on: January 18, 2023, 01:57:28 pm »
Lovely car Steve. My favorite Mustang body style. Couple more pics please ! 351 cubes and stick or auto ?

+1 Stev-o,lets see more of that beast.

Online CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #2462 on: January 18, 2023, 03:59:01 pm »
Very nice Steve-o!

I had two very expensive tires put on the truck today. (Apparently all tires are expensive now.)
I'm a little torqued that they wouldn't put them on the front for "safety" reasons.
So tomorrow I have to switch them around.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2463 on: January 18, 2023, 04:56:05 pm »
Yes, tire prices have skyrocketed for cars & trucks in past 2 years and production is low on many models or they simply aren't doing production runs and no explanation to consumers why...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2464 on: January 19, 2023, 04:11:35 am »
Last week I rewired my trailer and the truck trail outlet.  Separately, matching wire colors.  Did not have time to verify.

Well, this morning I hooked up the trailer just to check and not even a flicker of tail light or turn signal.

Talk about morale booster  ;D

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2465 on: January 19, 2023, 05:41:19 am »
Last week I rewired my trailer and the truck trail outlet.  Separately, matching wire colors.  Did not have time to verify.

Well, this morning I hooked up the trailer just to check and not even a flicker of tail light or turn signal.

Good ground wires ???

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2466 on: January 19, 2023, 06:03:39 am »

Good ground wires ???

Yes, that's item #1 on my check list, while the fuse is #0.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2467 on: January 19, 2023, 06:56:33 am »

Morn guys ... The motor is a 351 Windsor but has been bored and stroked and is now displacing 406 ci, that was done previous to my brother owning it.   Has a four speed "top loader" trans with a Hurst shifter and "T" knob [dont wanna miss a shift!]

The 17" tires are very old ['06!], I wanted to go with Bridgestone Comp2 tires but they are not available, so I ordered Falken RT615's, they have a very aggressive tread pattern...   https://www.falkentire.com/azenis/rt615k

Tires can be very expensive but these are "only" $900 installed for the set, I'll have them next week.

Here are more pics as requested...

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2468 on: January 19, 2023, 07:36:44 am »
Sweet ride Steve-0!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2469 on: January 19, 2023, 09:18:03 am »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2470 on: January 19, 2023, 09:31:56 am »
Sweet ride Steve-0!

Thanks, John

We used the Falken Azenis  tires one weekend on the Lexus. Great tire, that looks good too. They gave us the best lap times of the season, but we destroyed a set in one day (8 hour endurance race at Mosport). Changing back to Goodyear Indys added about a second to our best lap time, but they last 16 hours.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 09:33:43 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2471 on: January 19, 2023, 10:10:00 am »
Sweet ride Steve-0!

Stev-o,your 69' Mach 1 must be putting out 400hp+?  ;D  I hope you give us a ride report this Spring when you have the new tires installed.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2472 on: January 19, 2023, 12:46:21 pm »
Sweet ride Steve-0!

Thanks, John
We used the Falken Azenis  tires one weekend...

Do you happen to know which model Azenis, John? There are at least 4:

- RT615+  [what I ordered]
- RT660   [my buddy has these on his Firebird]
- FK510
- FK460

Stev-o,your 69' Mach 1 must be putting out 400hp+?  ;D  I hope you give us a ride report this Spring when you have the new tires installed.

My buddy doesnt have a Dyno but I doubt it's 400.  Stock was 290hp.  So bored and stroked, headers, cam and aluminum heads would put it around 375? I would like to dyno it.

https://www.enginefacts.com/ford351w/

I plan to have the tires next Tues or Wed and the road home from Discount tire is one of the best in the area!  And it is "Spring" here now...currently 66 degrees.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2473 on: January 19, 2023, 02:27:43 pm »
Stev-o,I owned a stock 1969 Mercury Cougar XR-7 for a couple years 351 Windsor with 4 BBL auto.I was able to find gasoline for it;Premium because of the 10.7:1 CR.
I miss that car.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2474 on: January 19, 2023, 03:08:38 pm »
Sweet ride Steve-0!

Thanks, John
We used the Falken Azenis  tires one weekend...

Do you happen to know which model Azenis, John? There are at least 4:

- RT615+  [what I ordered]
- RT660   [my buddy has these on his Firebird]
- FK510
- FK460

My buddy doesnt have a Dyno but I doubt it's 400.  Stock was 290hp.  So bored and stroked, headers, cam and aluminum heads would put it around 375? I would like to dyno it.

https://www.enginefacts.com/ford351w/

I plan to have the tires next Tues or Wed and the road home from Discount tire is one of the best in the area!  And it is "Spring" here now...currently 66 degrees.

I don’t know, but I’ll have a look next time I’m in the race shop. J.