Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 170517 times)

Online Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2475 on: January 20, 2023, 01:52:23 am »
Starter came in for my 6.5 turbo truck. Ordered starter bolts for it today was well.

Ordered 2 O2 sensors and a AC bypass pulley for her Jeep commander.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2476 on: January 20, 2023, 03:26:35 am »
Well I'm kicking myself for not taking a pic, because today I drove over to the other side of Melbourne in my little truck to collect a Moto Guzzi California 3 (1988 model) to give a little love to help out a work mate.

Moto Guzzi California 20 January 2023 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I haven't had a "Full size" bike in the back of my little truck before today so was interested to see how easy (or otherwise) it is to put a big bike on the back, and how much room would be left if I mount my winch centrally at the front of the tub. Good news is that we didn't damage the bike or the truck when we manually pushed it up the ramps, but we had a scary moment when the ramp (that was tethered to the truck at the front) slipped sideways with the bike's front wheel almost up on the tub, and the back wheel completely off the ramp and on the ground. We managed to roll the bike back down, fix the ramp and roll it back up, then take it off at my place with no further issues. Unfortunately my workmate and his friend were a bit over-eager.

No biggie, the old "Guz", that they couldn't get running to show me what the problem was, started for me on the first push of the button tonight, and seemed to run fine. Their "diagnosis" was that it felt like fuel wasn't getting to the carbs, so tomorrow I'll clean the fuel filters, which is supposed to be done every 5000 miles or apparently it's cause "fuel starvation", according to the owners manual, which I'm assuming they haven't read? I'll also check the valve clearances and the points ignition, and the carb's mixture screws, in case they've been fiddling with them, these are nice guys but don't know sh1t about bikes.

I also think the fuel is probably going bad, so I'll add some fuel system cleaner and add fresh fuel and do a 100+ mile "Pie Run" to see if it's sorted, because my wife is looking at me suspiciously, so I want to give it back to him next week. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2477 on: January 20, 2023, 03:34:10 am »
you fix the 61 Gurp?

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #2478 on: January 20, 2023, 04:32:14 am »

We used the Falken Azenis  tires one weekend on the Lexus. Great tire, that looks good too. They gave us the best lap times of the season, but we destroyed a set in one day (8 hour endurance race at Mosport). Changing back to Goodyear Indys added about a second to our best lap time, but they last 16 hours.

Interested to know what your lap times were?  When I ran my Lotus Cortina MK2, mine were in the 1.44's back in the early 2000's.  I'm not sure my sidecar was all the much slower.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2479 on: January 20, 2023, 05:23:00 am »

We used the Falken Azenis  tires one weekend on the Lexus. Great tire, that looks good too. They gave us the best lap times of the season, but we destroyed a set in one day (8 hour endurance race at Mosport). Changing back to Goodyear Indys added about a second to our best lap time, but they last 16 hours.

Interested to know what your lap times were?  When I ran my Lotus Cortina MK2, mine were in the 1.44's back in the early 2000's.  I'm not sure my sidecar was all the much slower.

Fastest lap was a high 1:39.5. We consistantly run 1:41/42’s all day.with the LEXUS.  Did you race with VARAC at the Vintage Festival and Regionals? At that time I was running a red MG Midget, #25. It was the quickest “small bore” car and my fastest lap was a 1:40.12. For over 20 years before that I raced my 1957 Series I, Lotus Eleven. The last 1340 Coventry Climax engine we built was over 130 h.p. My fastest lap in that 1000 lbs. Rocket was 1;36.0. It really flew up the long back straight!

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2480 on: January 20, 2023, 05:50:43 am »
Terry, I suspect she thinks you bought a bike...
Been some interesting race cars going up for auction at BaT, lots haven't sold, but a few have...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #2481 on: January 20, 2023, 11:17:46 am »
Yes, VARAC & CASC regionals as a GT2.  All my times were on treaded Dunlop's.  The engine had both Cosworth & Brian Hart parts, it was basically an FB dry sump engine, dyno'd @ 172hp.  A Ford executive saw it @ the Festival & made an offer I couldn't turn down.  It was Quebec GT2 Champion, & had sat on the pole for a support race during the F! weekend in the early 1990's.  We build a 2nd dry sump engine that went in my Super Seven from the 'spares'.
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #2482 on: January 20, 2023, 12:46:22 pm »
Starter came in for my 6.5 turbo truck. Ordered starter bolts for it today was well.

Have you got the rear mount  bracket still attached?
It's not good when you pull your starter because there's  a starting issue and a piece of the bell housing comes away with the starter.
I purchased a crate motor from the states to retro fit into my 100 Series Toyota Land Cruiser and it was not fitted on the motor.
So I didn't know I needed one until I had a starter motor problem. >:(
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 12:52:43 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2483 on: January 20, 2023, 01:24:56 pm »

It's not good when you pull your starter because there's  a starting issue and a piece of the bell housing comes away with the starter.
I purchased a crate motor from the states to retro fit into my 100 Series Toyota Land Cruiser and it was not fitted on the motor.

Have you got it sorted yet Brian? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2484 on: January 20, 2023, 01:46:15 pm »
Yes, VARAC & CASC regionals as a GT2.  All my times were on treaded Dunlop's.  The engine had both Cosworth & Brian Hart parts, it was basically an FB dry sump engine, dyno'd @ 172hp.  A Ford executive saw it @ the Festival & made an offer I couldn't turn down.  It was Quebec GT2 Champion, & had sat on the pole for a support race during the F! weekend in the early 1990's.  We build a 2nd dry sump engine that went in my Super Seven from the 'spares'.

I remember the car! A real beast. Cheers!

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2485 on: January 20, 2023, 03:26:45 pm »
Last week I rewired my trailer and the truck trail outlet.  Separately, matching wire colors.  Did not have time to verify.

Well, this morning I hooked up the trailer just to check and not even a flicker of tail light or turn signal.

Talk about morale booster  ;D

I sorted out the trailer.  Turns out the pins in the socket had to be spread/wedged a bit with a screwdriver.  The voltage never made it from the socket to the plug. 

Of course to gain that piece of information I had to open both male and female connectors.  ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2486 on: January 20, 2023, 03:48:13 pm »
Last week I rewired my trailer and the truck trail outlet.  Separately, matching wire colors.  Did not have time to verify.

Well, this morning I hooked up the trailer just to check and not even a flicker of tail light or turn signal.

I sorted out the trailer.  Turns out the pins in the socket had to be spread/wedged a bit with a screwdriver.  The voltage never made it from the socket to the plug. 

Of course to gain that piece of information I had to open both male and female connectors.  ;D

That's some quality product you picked up that is nonfunctional out of the box requiring rework to properly function. Unfortunately I would bet it is a common problem as so much stuff being sold is Cheap Chinese Crap products

Glad you were able to figure things out and get it working. Best to keep tools in the vehicle to tweak it in the future as it would in my mind plant a question of how long the fix will work.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 03:49:44 pm by RAFster122s »
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2487 on: January 20, 2023, 04:06:52 pm »

That's some quality product you picked up that is nonfunctional out of the box requiring rework to properly function. Unfortunately I would bet it is a common problem as so much stuff being sold is Cheap Chinese Crap products

Glad you were able to figure things out and get it working. Best to keep tools in the vehicle to tweak it in the future as it would in my mind plant a question of how long the fix will work.

It was a mix, the outlet was old and the plug was new.  Pins are in the outlet, I never pulled with this truck much but the CJ7 is rusted too far to be safe to pull so I had to adapt the trailer to the Grand Cherokee.   That involved getting a new trailer harness pigtail because the old one burned on me while towing a trailer.  It was the main reason I wanted to rewire the trailer, there must been some short somewhere.  The wiring was 20 years old.  Not everything ages as well as I do, haha  ;D

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 04:10:29 pm by 70CB750 »

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2488 on: January 20, 2023, 04:55:08 pm »
When I re-wired and refurbished my trailer this summer I could see where the mice had a feast on the wires that were run through and inside the frame rails. Got some 'nest' materials out also. Plugged every opening I could find with wadded up wire window screen to hopefully keep those rodents outa there.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2489 on: January 20, 2023, 05:07:45 pm »
When I re-wired and refurbished my trailer this summer I could see where the mice had a feast on the wires that were run through and inside the frame rails. Got some 'nest' materials out also. Plugged every opening I could find with wadded up wire window screen to hopefully keep those rodents outa there.

I had the same issue with the race trailer. Pulled a new loom through and then plugged the tube ends with steel wool and a can of some black tar called “roof patch”. Spooned it into the ends of every tube.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2490 on: January 20, 2023, 05:23:25 pm »
Since I have added 2 more bikes to my fleet yesterday I changed my insurance to Hagerty and now I can afford to insure all 5 bikes and my 72' MGB-GT full coverage and no deductibles. So today I resurrected the MGB. I pumped out the 7+ year old gas and cleared the lines. Then put in 10 gallons of fresh gas, pulled the choke, turned on the ignition, waited for the pump to stop and turned the key. It started right up like it had ran yesterday. I warmed it up and it still idles at 50psi fully warmed up.
I need to get the air out of the hydraulic clutch system. It has a high point in the factory system and is hard to bleed. Also it needs new tires before I can start driving the car.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2491 on: January 20, 2023, 05:28:39 pm »
I like the wheels on your MGB-GT,nice car.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #2492 on: January 20, 2023, 10:07:04 pm »

It's pretty well sorted now Uncle Tez. The only issue I have is my lack of mobility after the debarkel with my ankle. I can't get into the thing at the moment and it looks like I will be forced to use hand controls. Not sure if I can convince the NDIS to fund a conversion on my "Monster Truck" either. Anyway I'll keep plunging away and we'll see what happens.
On a brighter note my CB750A is finished and registered as a sidecar and I now have a motorcycle learners permit.
The next step is to get out of this bloody hospital and take it for a spin. ;D
The older I get the faster I was.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2493 on: January 20, 2023, 11:48:09 pm »

It's pretty well sorted now Uncle Tez. The only issue I have is my lack of mobility after the debarkel with my ankle. I can't get into the thing at the moment and it looks like I will be forced to use hand controls. Not sure if I can convince the NDIS to fund a conversion on my "Monster Truck" either. Anyway I'll keep plunging away and we'll see what happens.
On a brighter note my CB750A is finished and registered as a sidecar and I now have a motorcycle learners permit.
The next step is to get out of this bloody hospital and take it for a spin. ;D

Well that's great news about the bike Brian, I'll look forward to going for a ride with you! Are you still in hospital due to the covid, or your other injuries? Keep pushing NDIS for the hand controls, it shouldn't matter whether you're driving a Canyonero, or a Camry...... ;D

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #2494 on: January 21, 2023, 05:45:19 am »

I remember the car! A real beast. Cheers!

Yes that 1:44 got me moved to the TransAM group at the Festival!  A 1:45 was the cut-off for the small bore class.  The lead group caught me on the 2nd last lap, & I waved them thru between 3 & 4.  After the race the 3 came over to my pits, thought I was in trouble for some track infraction.  No, it was to ask why I waved them through.  Seems to only place they were making time was the straight, after that the little Cortina would eat the Mustangs & Camaros through the twistiness from 9 back to 5.  Made my day!
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #2495 on: January 21, 2023, 05:48:46 am »
Since I have added 2 more bikes to my fleet yesterday I changed my insurance to Hagerty and now I can afford to insure all 5 bikes and my 72' MGB-GT full coverage and no deductibles. So today I resurrected the MGB. I pumped out the 7+ year old gas and cleared the lines. Then put in 10 gallons of fresh gas, pulled the choke, turned on the ignition, waited for the pump to stop and turned the key. It started right up like it had ran yesterday. I warmed it up and it still idles at 50psi fully warmed up.
I need to get the air out of the hydraulic clutch system. It has a high point in the factory system and is hard to bleed. Also it needs new tires before I can start driving the car.

Nice MGB GT, I have had both a 72 B, and actually my favorite (but not loved by many!) an MGC GT. 
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2496 on: January 22, 2023, 03:28:27 pm »
Today I figured out that the MGB/GT clutch slave cylinder is shot and the clutch pushrod is worn down. I'll have the new parts including a new set of windshield wipers by Wednesday. After that I'll get a fresh set of tires.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Online CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #2497 on: January 22, 2023, 05:11:48 pm »
Put new pads & rotors on the Tundra today.
 :)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #2498 on: January 23, 2023, 02:41:44 pm »

Nice Kelly. My '72 GT  has been half restored for way too long. The girlfriend and I are bidding on a house in Michigan right now (Three Rivers for my MI friends) that has a 30'x30' garage with 10' walls that will be 95% mine (the house has an attached garage too). If it goes through (we are $60k over ask already, Michigan property is crazy right now) then hopefully by the end of February my MG and a couple motorcycle projects will be relocated to the shop from their various storage locations. I will install a lift and get to it.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #2499 on: January 23, 2023, 02:52:40 pm »
I ordered a battery for the 2004 Envoy XUV from O'Reilly. They had a 20% off coupon if you have it delivered and fortunately I can wait a few days since it just sits.

Battery prices are just crazy. The entry level battery is $203. With the discount I was able to get the platinum battery for less than the base version, but it is still over $200 net of the core charge.

The generic 'value' batteries used to be under $100
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200