Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 170548 times)

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2500 on: January 23, 2023, 05:59:11 pm »
Yesterday I figured out that the clutch slave cylinder and pushrod are shot. Today I ordered new ones plus a new set of windshield wipers. After that a new set of tires and I'm on the road. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2501 on: January 23, 2023, 06:49:12 pm »
Since I have added 2 more bikes to my fleet yesterday I changed my insurance to Hagerty and now I can afford to insure all 5 bikes and my 72' MGB-GT full coverage and no deductibles. So today I resurrected the MGB. I pumped out the 7+ year old gas and cleared the lines. Then put in 10 gallons of fresh gas, pulled the choke, turned on the ignition, waited for the pump to stop and turned the key. It started right up like it had ran yesterday. I warmed it up and it still idles at 50psi fully warmed up.
I need to get the air out of the hydraulic clutch system. It has a high point in the factory system and is hard to bleed. Also it needs new tires before I can start driving the car.

Nice Kelly. My '72 GT  has been half restored for way too long. The girlfriend and I are bidding on a house in Michigan right now (Three Rivers for my MI friends) that has a 30'x30' garage with 10' walls that will be 95% mine (the house has an attached garage too). If it goes through (we are $60k over ask already, Michigan property is crazy right now) then hopefully by the end of February my MG and a couple motorcycle projects will be relocated to the shop from their various storage locations. I will install a lift and get to it.
Ohhh, that is cool Danny!  Hope you can make a deal!  If you do, I even promise not call you FIP! lol
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #2502 on: January 23, 2023, 07:09:22 pm »
Well that's great news about the bike Brian, I'll look forward to going for a ride with you! Are you still in hospital due to the covid, or your other injuries? Keep pushing NDIS for the hand controls, it shouldn't matter whether you're driving a Canyonero, or a Camry...... ;D

I'm just back in hospital for couple of minor op's re my original injuries.
They are baulking at hand controls for the Cruiser because of the mileage. The Cruiser has 500'000km on it.
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2503 on: January 23, 2023, 07:20:11 pm »
Here's hoping you make it to Michigan Danny and get settled in to a nice place with your shop etc..  Good Luck !

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2504 on: January 23, 2023, 08:28:54 pm »
Well that's great news about the bike Brian, I'll look forward to going for a ride with you! Are you still in hospital due to the covid, or your other injuries? Keep pushing NDIS for the hand controls, it shouldn't matter whether you're driving a Canyonero, or a Camry...... ;D

They are baulking at hand controls for the Cruiser because of the mileage. The Cruiser has 500'000km on it.

Bear, any way to pick up a newer vehicle they would be willing to install hand controls in, or is money for such a purchase not possible??
 I know how serious injuries and all the associated medical bills will devastate a bank account.
What would a newer vehicle with mileage they wouldn't baulk at run in your area?

Hope I am not being nosy.
My mom has to use hand controls after a mowing accident left her with a Ti rod instead of a right knee.
Getting a set of controls installed properly is costly and requires periodic (generally yearly) inspection and tune up.

David- back in the desert SW!

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2505 on: January 24, 2023, 02:17:08 am »
Yesterday I figured out that the clutch slave cylinder and pushrod are shot. Today I ordered new ones plus a new set of windshield wipers. After that a new set of tires and I'm on the road. 8)

Never changed clutch slave cylinder, it must be job and a half.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2506 on: January 24, 2023, 03:19:02 am »
Clutch Slave cylinders aren’t really tough to install or bleed in my experience, just treat them like a caliper. Then adjust the rod according to the book.
Only difficult part of it is the location making you be under the vehicle and it is a two person job on a car if you cannot use a power bleeder on the clutch master cylinder.

Good luck with it Kelly.

Are they Lockheed or Girling units?
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #2507 on: January 24, 2023, 05:53:14 am »
Having changed more than 1 clutch slave, you definitely either need 2 people, or artificial help.  I've always used the 'pull through' air assisted bleeder, makes short work of the job.  Just make sure to keep checking the fluid in the clutch master.  Suck it dry & you start again!  I use to have a secondary reserve unit you could attach to the master to add volume.  It got permanently borrowed >:(.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2508 on: January 24, 2023, 06:33:30 am »
Not sure about an MGB but the ones in Austin Healey Sprites and MG Midgets were fun, buried up inside the trans tunnel of the main centre section! Access to the slave bleed nipple was through a tiny opening. We used to do up the hoses, wire the rod in place and bleed them hanging under the car. Then bolt them to the bell housing. I hope the “B” isn’t that tight.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2509 on: January 24, 2023, 07:37:16 am »
Clutch Slave cylinders aren’t really tough to install or bleed in my experience, just treat them like a caliper. Then adjust the rod according to the book.
Only difficult part of it is the location making you be under the vehicle and it is a two person job on a car if you cannot use a power bleeder on the clutch master cylinder.

Good luck with it Kelly.

Are they Lockheed or Girling units?

Thats what I meant, location and access.  My CJ7 has a bellcrank and that's simple and easy access.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #2510 on: January 24, 2023, 07:38:53 am »

Bear, any way to pick up a newer vehicle they would be willing to install hand controls in, or is money for such a purchase not possible??
 I know how serious injuries and all the associated medical bills will devastate a bank account.
What would a newer vehicle with mileage they wouldn't baulk at run in your area?

Hope I am not being nosy.
My mom has to use hand controls after a mowing accident left her with a Ti rod instead of a right knee.
Getting a set of controls installed properly is costly and requires periodic (generally yearly) inspection and tune up.

G'day David,
We have a couple of late model vehicles in the family, it's just that I prefer not to drive them.
I'm attached to my truck for good or ill. I've owned it since 2012 and it will always be a "work in progress".
I have never been able to buy something off the showroom floor and just drive it around, it's just not me.

As for medical bills and disability equipment, we have a tax payer funded medical system and what is called " The National Disability Insurance Scheme " that will help fund equipment like my hand controls.

As for being nosy it's all good. I'm not to precious about my condition. As I've said before I have been lucky enough to have raced motorcycles in one form or another since 1980, me drawing the short straw was always going to be on the cards I new that. I have lost many good mates over the years and just about all of them where a lot more talented than I ever was. ;D

The older I get the faster I was.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2511 on: January 24, 2023, 08:16:13 am »
Had a shop day yesterday working on the "Ol' Chevy". 

Last time I drove it, went to a great car show, and lost nearly all brake pedal by the time I got home, not a good feeling. Checked the master cylinder and it was nearly empty, turns out my calipers were leaking. After much research, the Corvette forum is very good, this is a common problem.

So, it turns out the OEM calipers made by Delco, tend to have the "lip seals" leak when the car is not driven much.  The calipers themselves are good and I've always been happy with the brakes on this car, but Chevy stopped using this type of seal in '82.

There is a company in TX that remanufactures these calipers, they install a SS sleeve and use an "o-ring" seal rather than the lip seal, so all should be golden!  Not cheap but what is these days? 

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2512 on: January 24, 2023, 08:31:33 am »
It is a two man job to bleed the clutch. The slave cylinder replacement is easy, 2 bolts, 1 cotter pin and the hose. It's on the bottom right of the transmission on an MGB. I have a pneumatic brake bleeder but I'll be using a horse syringe to fill it from the slave cylinder. MG in it's infinite wisdom put a high point in the hard line right after the clutch master cylinder that is tucked in the drivers side rear corner of the engine compartment. You can see the clutch hard line going up behind the small reservoir.
Filling up the system from the slave pushes the air up and out of the high point and out of the master cylinder. My buddy will be looking into the master cylinder reservoir for fluid to appear in the bottom. When he sees fluid I can stop and close the bleeder valve. Then I'll top off the reservoir and check for a firm pedal.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 08:35:01 am by Kelly E »

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #2513 on: January 24, 2023, 03:21:08 pm »

Nice Kelly. My '72 GT  has been half restored for way too long. The girlfriend and I are bidding on a house in Michigan right now (Three Rivers for my MI friends) that has a 30'x30' garage with 10' walls that will be 95% mine (the house has an attached garage too). If it goes through (we are $60k over ask already, Michigan property is crazy right now) then hopefully by the end of February my MG and a couple motorcycle projects will be relocated to the shop from their various storage locations. I will install a lift and get to it.

Ohhh, that is cool Danny!  Hope you can make a deal!  If you do, I even promise not call you FIP! lol

Thanks Eric and Sean. The process has been such a pain. SW Michigan is hot, we've been outbid twice already both within 48 hours of the house being listed. We made our offer on the place less than 24 hours after listing. The house is great. Super well maintained and perfect for a couple. 10 wooded acres, no close neighbors, set pretty deep in the lot so when the leaves are out the house will be practically invisible from the road. But the sellers are asking to stay in the house up to 45 days after closing for free, to which we gave a big no, but we did offer 30 days for a nominal cost to the seller.. Bidding is supposed to be closed now and we should find out by tomorrow if we got it. Here's the inside of the shop space
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2514 on: January 24, 2023, 06:12:25 pm »
He's going to need a month to clean out all of his crap 8)

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2515 on: January 24, 2023, 07:29:50 pm »
Big moving sale in somebodies future. Even though cluttered the building looks pretty clean. I see insulation and other goodies in your future Danny if you get the place.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #2516 on: January 24, 2023, 08:49:30 pm »
Big moving sale in somebodies future. Even though cluttered the building looks pretty clean. I see insulation and other goodies in your future Danny if you get the place.

Insulation and a 2 post lift.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #2517 on: January 25, 2023, 05:11:09 am »

Did you include the Deer & it's attachments?  With 10 acres you'll need something like that.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2518 on: January 25, 2023, 07:00:14 am »

Good luck to you Danny...place sounds like a dream
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2519 on: January 25, 2023, 07:16:39 am »

Did you include the Deer & it's attachments?  With 10 acres you'll need something like that.

+1 on that !

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2520 on: January 25, 2023, 02:36:32 pm »
Today the new slave cylinder for the MGB/GT arrived. Because of the way the last one failed I took the new one apart and I'm glad I did. There was a bunch of grey pastey grit in it, you can see it on the rag. After I cleaned it up I had to smooth out the front edge of the piston because it was very sharp. Once I got the piston deburred and clean I lubed the seal with red brake grease and the side in front of the seal with SylGlide. I'll be filling up the system from the slave cylinder bleeder valve to get the air out of the high point in the hard line when my buddy gets here.

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2521 on: January 25, 2023, 02:41:14 pm »
Today the new slave cylinder for the MGB/GT arrived. Because of the way the last one failed I took the new one apart and I'm glad I did. There was a bunch of grey pastey grit in it, you can see it on the rag. After I cleaned it up I had to smooth out the front edge of the piston because it was very sharp. Once I got the piston deburred and clean I lubed the seal with red brake grease and the side in front of the seal with SylGlide. I'll be filling up the system from the slave cylinder bleeder valve to get the air out of the high point in the hard line when my buddy gets here.

Kelly.....just have to ask. What’s in a can of “Cougar Gold”?

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2522 on: January 25, 2023, 02:46:42 pm »

It's really good cheese made at Washington State University. My friend Paul that I build bikes with went to school there and buys it all the time plus the cans are really handy.

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2523 on: January 25, 2023, 04:21:46 pm »

It's really good cheese made at Washington State University. My friend Paul that I build bikes with went to school there and buys it all the time plus the cans are really handy.

Thanks..... great name!

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #2524 on: January 25, 2023, 06:44:16 pm »
"What did I do...?".
I ignored the "Oil Change Required" message on my Explorer's console, and just pressed the "Reset Oil Life to 100%" button to tell it to shut up.
It's less than 10 degrees out there! :(
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com