Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 170420 times)

Offline Dunk

• Expert
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2575 on: March 24, 2023, 06:18:04 pm »
This is for the wife's '66 Thunderbird. Redoing the rotted out trunk bits. Typical trunk leaks, trunk floor and rear subframe rails are a mess but we'll get there. My '86 Ford is on the backburner until this is done.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2576 on: March 24, 2023, 07:22:29 pm »
This is for the wife's '66 Thunderbird. Redoing the rotted out trunk bits. Typical trunk leaks, trunk floor and rear subframe rails are a mess but we'll get there. My '86 Ford is on the backburner until this is done.

Worthy project  ;)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2577 on: March 25, 2023, 12:24:46 am »
make sure she goes to the library or youll have to take her T Bird away!

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2578 on: March 25, 2023, 06:14:31 am »
make sure she goes to the library or youll have to take her T Bird away!
"And we'll have fun fun fun till her Daddy-------"
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 06:18:41 am by ekpent »

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2579 on: March 26, 2023, 01:29:54 am »
Started to figure out why my sporty bobber isn't firing.
So far it's looking like heck with the stock stuff and just going to a single fire IGN unit.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2580 on: March 27, 2023, 07:13:22 am »
This is for the wife's '66 Thunderbird. Redoing the rotted out trunk bits.

Does it have the 390 V8?  Great motor....
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=mc6pv4b51vbp2m4r94rhhfsqp7&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #2581 on: April 04, 2023, 01:17:15 pm »
put some light;s on the puch...the seat is not perfekt..korrekt for a 69..but better then nothing
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 01:21:24 pm by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2582 on: April 04, 2023, 04:08:33 pm »
I replaced oil seal on the rear axle on Grand Cherokee.  Had to cut and split the old ring and bearing and press new bearing on.  It went smoother than I imagined.  Complete rear brakes tomorrow and she is back on the road. 

One little glitch - the holding bracket has four studs secured to it and one of them started to spin and I had to use vicegrips to hold it to crank that one down. 

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2583 on: April 04, 2023, 08:32:37 pm »
My project lately has been resurrecting a 1968 Sears Suburban garden tractor that's been sitting for over 15 years. I changed the trans-axle oil, mounted the left side rear tire, and installed a new battery today, then started it up and moved it back and forth under it's own power. ;D I still have a few issues to deal with, like the left front tire that needs a new tube (actually, it needs a new tire, as it looks to be the original Sears branded tire ::)), new air cleaner element, etc.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2584 on: April 04, 2023, 09:21:20 pm »
My project lately has been resurrecting a 1968 Sears Suburban garden tractor that's been sitting for over 15 years. I changed the trans-axle oil, mounted the left side rear tire, and installed a new battery today, then started it up and moved it back and forth under it's own power. ;D I still have a few issues to deal with, like the left front tire that needs a new tube (actually, it needs a new tire, as it looks to be the original Sears branded tire ::)), new air cleaner element, etc.

scottly,that Sears looks very much like an IH Cub Cadet  8)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #2585 on: April 05, 2023, 12:14:14 am »
My brother had one simular. Had a big Kohler motor with an updraft carb, tons of torque.  You could tow a car with it.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #2586 on: April 05, 2023, 06:07:37 pm »

Yes, factory 390 4 barrel. Engine rebuild project started with a small exhaust leak that led to broken bolts and pulling the engine. Should be plus a few dozen HP now. The rear axle was crusty and must have been full of water at some point, rebuilt with a limited slip. During initial test drives it broke the rear loose pretty easy limiting it to 2/3 throttle.

Fixed some other crusty bits the other day. Slow and steady on this one, it'll be a while.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2587 on: April 05, 2023, 09:41:37 pm »
My old $500 Subaru daily driver let me down today for the first time ever in 8 years. It fired up fine, but when I stopped for gas I went to start it and the battery was flat? Weird. I walked 1/4 mile to the auto parts store and bought the cheapest replacement battery, an adjustable wrench and some jumper cables. Carrying it back to the car was a good test for my back after surgery on Monday, but all good.

I was late for an appointment so just jumped it, I’ll test it when I get home and see if the battery is toast, or if it’s the alternator. Hopefully it’s the battery, I don’t remember ever buying one for it, so it’s at least 8 years old. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2588 on: April 06, 2023, 12:33:40 am »
Glad you didn't hurt your back toting the battery back to the car. They are heavy and are a workout to carry far. Glad you got it going again quickly. 8 years is a long time for a battery.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2589 on: April 06, 2023, 09:15:56 am »

Yes, factory 390 4 barrel. Engine rebuild project started with a small exhaust leak that led to broken bolts and pulling the engine. Should be plus a few dozen HP now.

Motor looks great! 
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2590 on: April 06, 2023, 03:46:51 pm »
Glad you didn't hurt your back toting the battery back to the car. They are heavy and are a workout to carry far. Glad you got it going again quickly. 8 years is a long time for a battery.

Thanks David. I parked it at the venue and 3 hours later it started up like a new one on the old battery, so I’m assuming that the battery is on the way out, but the alternator is fine. I’m going to put my battery tester on it tomorrow when there’s room in the carport to work on it, and if the battery is toast I’ll install the new one. I need the car to drive to work at 5am each morning so don’t want to have to carry a spare battery just in case I need to jump it in the dark/rain etc. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2591 on: April 07, 2023, 02:41:18 am »
Well I went out with my little charging system tester this morning, and was surprised to see that the 9 year old battery (found the sticker dated 9/14) was still showing as "good", so I fired the Subaru up and the tester showed that the charging system was also "Good". Not sure what happened yesterday, I'll try again on Tuesday after not driving it for a few days, and see what the tester says. Weird. ;D

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #2592 on: April 07, 2023, 03:52:49 am »
Terry your battery issue reminds me of dealing with the battery in my MGBs.  The posts would oxidize, & I'd get a no start.  Quick clean with a wire post cleaner & all was good again. 
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2593 on: April 07, 2023, 08:16:02 am »
Terry your battery issue reminds me of dealing with the battery in my MGBs.  The posts would oxidize, & I'd get a no start.  Quick clean with a wire post cleaner & all was good again.

You forgot to mention that the battery in an MGB is under a metal cover on the floor behind the seats and is a pain to get to. Especially if you have a GT and you have to crawl over the seat back to get to it. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #2594 on: April 07, 2023, 09:21:33 am »

I haven't had that issue with my MG, but my ex-wifes 2009 Pontiac Vibe, which was a joint venture between GM and Toyota and has Camry 2.4l engine, has had multiple issues over the years with excessive oxidation and premature battery failure. The most recent battery is a couple years old and I think holding up OK, but that is the 3rd battery I have put into it since buying it in 2014.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2595 on: April 07, 2023, 05:51:06 pm »
Thanks guys, it’s a head scratcher for sure, the terminals are clean, the clamps are OEM and tight, and both the battery and alternator checked out fine. The new battery is supposed to be the right one for the car but the negative post is smaller than the one in the car so I’ll take it back and swap it for the same one that’s in the car, which, coincidentally is a Supercheap Auto battery so I’ll buy the same one that’s in it now and swap it out. 9 years is pretty good for a battery so it won’t hurt to give the car a new one. ;D

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2596 on: April 07, 2023, 08:25:12 pm »
Terry, one time my '89 Toyota pickup started cranking the motor over slowly, like a battery going south, but not all the time. I replaced the battery, but the problem persisted. It turned out the starter motor brushes were worn out. If I had checked the battery voltage at the terminals while cranking the motor, I might have noticed the voltage didn't slump drastically, so the battery wouldn't be suspect, but the thought never occurred to me at the time, and even if it had, it would have been a bit hard to do without another pair of hands. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2597 on: April 08, 2023, 02:07:51 pm »
Thanks Scott, it’s weird, what happened was I started it normally, drove to the gas station and filled it right up. Got back in the car and it cranked normally but the engine wouldn’t start. That was the first time ever that it had done this. I tried again and the starter just ran out of juice. I don’t know if I had an air lock or something, but the battery was too flat to crank it.

I walked to the auto parts store and grabbed a battery and carried it back to the car. I was running late so just jumped it, and it was fine. I’ve driven it every day since, with the old battery and no issues. Being a Subaru boxer I can see the starter motor on top of the engine at the rear and it looks like it’s been replaced, maybe when my Ma had the car between 2015 and 2021. I’ll ask her if she remembered having it replaced. ;D

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2598 on: April 18, 2023, 01:25:00 am »
Ordered a flex plate and starter for my 93 K3500. Got a buddy that owes me cash so he's going to do the job and call our debt even!
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2599 on: April 18, 2023, 01:53:24 am »
its good when you call in a favour and it gets done!