Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 170222 times)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2600 on: April 18, 2023, 06:55:09 am »
Drove the Ranch Buggy yesterday, that thing is fun!

On a frustrating note, I am having a hard time bleeding the brakes on the "Ol Chevy" after the caliper upgrade.  A buddy has a power bleeder, hoping he can bring it over today....

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2601 on: April 18, 2023, 07:15:47 am »
Some vehicles have a bleed sequence required to bleed the brakes. I have had to elevate the rear of the car more than the front to get them to fully bleed before.  Power bleeders though usually conquer the problem.  Motive makes a nice power bleeder I have used before.

David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2602 on: April 30, 2023, 05:20:51 pm »

On a frustrating note, I am having a hard time bleeding the brakes on the "Ol Chevy" after the caliper upgrade.  A buddy has a power bleeder, hoping he can bring it over today....

I have a “hand powered” MITYVAC bleeder that usually does the trick. Great little tool.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2603 on: April 30, 2023, 08:04:46 pm »
Me too John, great tool! ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2604 on: May 01, 2023, 07:07:51 am »

I have a “hand powered” MITYVAC bleeder that usually does the trick. Great little tool.

Hey John....I finally bought a MityVac, worked fine on the two rear calipers but still nothing on the two front.  Seems the rubber hoses are the culprit, ordered two  [the rear doesnt have have the rubber hoses needed for the front wheels to turn]
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2605 on: May 01, 2023, 04:59:21 pm »
Steve.... It’s a useful tool! Spent the day on lawn cutting equipment. Belts, grease, oil, filters and fresh fuel. The lawn tractor is +25 years old and the darn thing just keeps on ticking. In fact I solved the “ticking” today. Who knew the valve clearances were adjustable?? Sounds and runs much better!

Last year I replaced all four tires and the steering system (worm and roller buried behind the engine). Determined to get another 10 years out of it, at least. Looked at zero turn units today, but for $6000 I can do a lot of tractor repairs!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 05:16:59 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2606 on: May 01, 2023, 08:21:12 pm »
Motive Products Power Bleeder does a really nice job too, runs about $70 on Amazon.

https://www.motiveproducts.com/collections/all

Check out the adapter photos from menu on motive webpage...
It can help you get the right model.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2607 on: May 01, 2023, 08:37:11 pm »
Steve.... It’s a useful tool! Spent the day on lawn cutting equipment. Belts, grease, oil, filters and fresh fuel. The lawn tractor is +25 years old and the darn thing just keeps on ticking. In fact I solved the “ticking” today. Who knew the valve clearances were adjustable?? Sounds and runs much better!

Last year I replaced all four tires and the steering system (worm and roller buried behind the engine). Determined to get another 10 years out of it, at least. Looked at zero turn units today, but for $6000 I can do a lot of tractor repairs!

John,had you ever rebuilt the engine in it ?
I love Craftsman stuff ! :)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2608 on: May 01, 2023, 11:16:58 pm »
you cant use zero turns with one hand either!how ya gonna have a beer and steer at the same time?

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2609 on: May 01, 2023, 11:22:17 pm »
you cant use zero turns with one hand either!how ya gonna have a beer and steer at the same time?

Lol  ;D
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2610 on: May 01, 2023, 11:40:02 pm »

Mick Hastings (member here) in Darwin has a JD Zero turn, with a cup holder. I think my $100 zero turn mower has a drink holder too. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2611 on: May 02, 2023, 01:13:36 am »
so has my steering wheel toro,but i never let go of my beer!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2612 on: May 02, 2023, 05:13:35 pm »

Never touched it! It blows a bit of smoke on start up, then runs great. My wife uses it all around the house and her adjacent gardens. Probably +4 hours of run time, every week May-October. Big Koehler, twin. I think the deck will rot away before the engine quits!
John,had you ever rebuilt the engine in it ?
I love Craftsman stuff ! :)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2613 on: May 03, 2023, 10:26:01 am »
Yesterday I greased and lubricated my old Massey Ferguson 135 (3 cyl. Perkins Diesel engine). Same for the 7’ finishing mower I drag behind it. Removed the snow bucket and lifting equipment. Bloody grass is growing quick, if the Spring rain ever lets up, we’ll be into lawn cutting early.

This morning (more rain) gave the Volvo C30 it’s overdue oil/filter change. This has to be one of the few cars that still uses a lift out cartridge filter. Always a challenge.

Removing the full under tray takes up most of the time. Two of the plastic screw inserts were gone, but found a few replacements in my junk bins. The oil I use comes in large jugs and the cam shaft gear is so close to the oil cap it’s impossible to use a funnel! Rooted around in the recycle bin and discovered a KRAFT salad dressing container the screwed perfectly into the cam cover opening. Small victories can make your day!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 10:30:26 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #2614 on: May 03, 2023, 10:34:40 am »
The lift and bridge jack greatly eased the task of replacing axle bearings on one the Crown Vics.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2615 on: May 03, 2023, 10:55:34 am »
Nice job Greg and John.  I took my Mini Cooper S in for repair to the shades for the sunroof, dual panoramic sunroofs in my '15 2 doir hardtop. $1286 repair, costing me my deductible in the mtce plan I bought at purchase in '19. So, saving $1000 recoups some of the plan cost. They had to reschedule my visit for repair twice due to trouble getting the parts in and then they had to have a dealer service tech do or bring a dealer adhesive system to the CarMax dealer because the warranty company requires it to use OEM adhesive system and they ended up with aftermarket kit for that part and had to have dealer supply the kit and adhesive system which was Dealer only thing. I was surprised by that and that pushed the repair window I was waiting for being finished to move from 11am to just before 2pm. They filled up my gas tank to apologize for the delay. I was OK with the delay, as I was prepared for a long wait. It is tough on the back sitting for a long time even taking breaks walking around.
Sunroof shades are fixed and can be opened and closed now...

Weather is nice, in low 80s today and typical sunny day again...
Had cold front and wind blow through some clouds yesterday and lots of dust yesterday.

I have to replace some rear wheel hubs on the car and do a filter and oil change soon. It has a cartridge filter too John. It is more environmentally friendly to use a cartridge filter, the oil can be expressed out of the filter easier and you don't have the steel waste encapsulation of the toxic material.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #2616 on: May 04, 2023, 07:25:12 am »
Cutting deck spring on my Kubota broke - it tensions the belt for three blade pulleys.

Luckily I saved all springs from our old trampoline so the only challenge was to find the box with springs.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2617 on: May 05, 2023, 02:55:55 am »
i had a cutting deck spring break aswell once,toro or mower shops wanted 50 bucks for a used one?i got a generic hardware store one for a few bucks,all good!

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #2618 on: May 08, 2023, 10:54:56 am »

I have the Harbor Freight power bleeder. It is a bit more effective than my Mity Vac
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2619 on: May 08, 2023, 01:43:35 pm »

I have the Harbor Freight power bleeder. It is a bit more effective than my Mity Vac

Hey Danny....The MityVac I bought has worked well, I have never needed/used one before and am pleased with it. Turns out the rubber hoses were blocked, and once I changed the LF, pumped that sucker and fluid came through. I have some brake pedal now, 3 of four calipers bled.
Unfortunately, the PO boogered the fitting on the RF and I'm unable to remove the rubber hose. I need to change the hard line from the master cyl area to the RF caliper area, I just received the part today. So, if all goes well, I'll be back on the road this week!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2620 on: May 08, 2023, 01:55:03 pm »
The MityVac is a very useful tool. Mine came in a bunch of stuff I bought years ago at an auction. I’ve used it a lot since then!

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #2621 on: May 08, 2023, 02:57:42 pm »
Changed the oil in my Craftsman mower.
Woo hoo..  ::)
It's only 17 years old but as mentioned above those Kohler engines are terrific.
(I think my "Craftsman" mower was made by Cub Cadet.)

Oh, and now I want a MityVac!  :)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2622 on: May 09, 2023, 05:14:55 am »
It's only 17 years old but as mentioned above those Kohler engines are terrific.

Got one of those too! Probably +20 years old. For years, when I changed the oil, I put it up on a pair of saw horses and pulled a plastic drain plug, from below. Last time, the head snapped off. We have a great mower shop in town, so off I went (with my Owners/ Parts Manual in hand) to pickup a few bits, including the drain plug. The nice lady behind the counter is incredibly knowledgeable and had my parts gathered up in seconds. Then she says: “ever read that manual?”. Mmmmm, sure I do.

“You should read the page on Oil Changes”. Turns out all you need to do is tip the mower on it’s side. The oil fill pipe is perfectly tied into the crankcase to ensure a total drain. Tried it last week, works great! No lifting, no tools required. “instructions are for people who don’t know what they are doing”?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2623 on: May 09, 2023, 06:24:05 am »

The nice lady behind the counter is incredibly knowledgeable and had my parts gathered up in seconds. Then she says: “ever read that manual?”. Mmmmm, sure I do.

“You should read the page on Oil Changes”. Turns out all you need to do is tip the mower on it’s side.

Thats funny, John, she taught you a thing or two!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2624 on: May 09, 2023, 07:17:47 am »

The nice lady behind the counter is incredibly knowledgeable and had my parts gathered up in seconds. Then she says: “ever read that manual?”. Mmmmm, sure I do.

“You should read the page on Oil Changes”. Turns out all you need to do is tip the mower on it’s side.

Thats funny, John, she taught you a thing or two!

Just another person  that’s smarter than me!