Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 169332 times)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2925 on: October 06, 2023, 06:42:07 am »
Needs a little body work and a lot of cleanup.

Great looking car, Don.  I look those old coupes, years ago a buddy had a '33 Chevy show car that was amazing.  This era of cars can now be had fairly reasonably, the younger generation doesnt appreciate them for what they are. $15K....

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1042568833423445/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A1789297e-e126-49b4-943b-1af47b4aee4a

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2926 on: October 06, 2023, 09:13:48 am »
 My daughter lost her driving mojo for our dragster. We went to test and tune on a Wednesday evening and the track wasn't prepped, she got a good driving lesson and got her confidence back. We also did the snowy parking lot driving school the winter before she got into the car.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2927 on: October 06, 2023, 01:51:49 pm »
Needs a little body work and a lot of cleanup.

Great looking car, Don.  I look those old coupes, years ago a buddy had a '33 Chevy show car that was amazing.  This era of cars can now be had fairly reasonably, the younger generation doesnt appreciate them for what they are. $15K....

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1042568833423445/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A1789297e-e126-49b4-943b-1af47b4aee4a

That 40 looks like a solid piece, if they have a 10 bolt rear end they also swapped the transmission. It came with a closed driveshaft. They also did a good job installing the rear end, most of them have the rear axle too far forward due to the leaf spring bolt not being in the center.

I built a 4 link suspension and coil over brackets for mine. My coil over shocks are leaking, they were a weakly designed product.  I also put in a mustang II front end on the ford crossmember.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2928 on: October 09, 2023, 08:54:02 am »
Took the "Ol Chevy" to our local annual Car Show.   First time out since I upgraded the calipers on it, brakes are working well but pedal pressure is not rock hard how I wish it were.

We had a convoy there including a '72 GTO, '70 Corvette, '69 Mustang, '72 Charger, '00 Prowler and a '68 AMX.   Big show, there were at least 300 other classic cars there!

Fall has fell and we have gorgeous weather here now and car show season is in full stride!
Have another small local show this Saturday,  Mustang show Oct 28th, Taylor Car Show Oct 29th [700+ cars expected] and Johnson City show Nov 4th.

Unfortunately, the Harvest Classic Bike Rally is not continuing after 20 years.

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #2929 on: October 09, 2023, 06:24:30 pm »
Our neighbor sold his house and is getting rid of stuff.  In a weak moment I agreed to take these off his hands and dragged them over, along with a bunch of parts.  I need another project like I need additional holes in my head, but I couldn't resist them.  The one on the right is a '65 and is a V8/4 speed car.  The one on the left is '64 slant 6/AT.  I'll do the '65 and figure out what to do with the '64 later.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2930 on: October 09, 2023, 07:38:50 pm »
Nice!  Always liked them and the early Barracudas...sucks that they are convertibles
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2931 on: October 09, 2023, 08:42:07 pm »
Mom & Dad had a Valiant hard top when we were growing up.
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #2932 on: October 09, 2023, 09:10:56 pm »
The one on the right is a '65 and is a V8/4 speed car. 
That has to be a rare car, more so since it's a convertible!
I had a '63 that I stuffed a '59 413 into. It was a total hack job, but it was fast enough to beat a '69 Z28, a GTO, and a 442 in a roll-on drag race on a road leading out of town that ended up with all four drivers getting cited for speeding by the CHP. Since I was in front, the cop saved me for last. The guy in the back got his ticket first, and came up to me and asked "What the heck do you have in this thing??" I was tempted to say "A BIIIG six", but I asked him what his ticket was for, and it was 65 in a 55 zone. I asked him how fast we were going, as my speedo didn't work, and he said when he was going 90 that I was pulling away from all of them. He left, and after awhile the next guy came up. "What do you have in this thing??" He had also gotten the same ticket.. The guy in the Z28 comes up, and once again asks what I have under the hood. I asked him how fast we were going before we lifted, and he told he didn't dare look down at the speedo. He got the same 65 in a 55 ticket... Finally, the cop came up to me, and said "Son, the way you flew past that graveyard back there, you're going to end up there soon", and gave me a ticket for going 65 in a 55 zone...
It's in the far background in this pic: 
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2933 on: October 10, 2023, 07:13:17 am »
Nice!  Always liked them and the early Barracudas...sucks that they are convertibles

Yes, the Valiants were the predecessor to the Barracuda [my first car]  Great that they are convertibles!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #2934 on: October 10, 2023, 08:05:29 am »
...sucks that they are convertibles

That's what made me take them.

The one on the right is a '65 and is a V8/4 speed car. 
That has to be a rare car, more so since it's a convertible!

A quick google search brings up 2769 '65 convertibles as the number.  I haven't been able to find how many  V8 manual Signet convertibles were made.  Can't be too many around, especially 58 years later.

Yes, the Valiants were the predecessor to the Barracuda [my first car]  Great that they are convertibles!

From what I've seen over the years, our taste in cars seem to be very similar.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2935 on: October 10, 2023, 09:37:53 am »
Our neighbor sold his house and is getting rid of stuff.  In a weak moment I agreed to take these off his hands and dragged them over, along with a bunch of parts.  I need another project like I need additional holes in my head, but I couldn't resist them.  The one on the right is a '65 and is a V8/4 speed car.  The one on the left is '64 slant 6/AT.  I'll do the '65 and figure out what to do with the '64 later.

Get them back on the road and they will out-live all of us.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2936 on: October 11, 2023, 01:30:28 am »
stopped to get fuel and my locking cap wouldnt open,i could feel only one of the lugs was pulling back,i bought a new cap and once home i split the cap with aviation snips and found that releases the barrel and then you can see the mechanism,twisted it with pointy pliers and the cap released easy,i thought it was gonna be a real #$%* fight!the barrel has two prongs that operate each lug,one had snapped of after only i guess 45 years?

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2937 on: October 11, 2023, 04:17:09 am »
Dave, Is it repairable?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2938 on: October 12, 2023, 12:52:45 am »
no i had already bought a new one 30 bucks no biggie,its well worn out,the key is polished razor sharp from wear!

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2939 on: October 12, 2023, 11:49:02 am »
 I'm pulling the Powerglide out of the Dragster, it's only got 20 or so 1/4 mile runs on it since an overhaul, but the case and bellhousing tags have expired. I have to gut the trans, send the cases in to be recertified and re-assemble and re-install. My trans guy let it get dirty inside during its last trip there, so I'll be taking it all home in a big plastic tote for clean storage while the case gets a new cert.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2940 on: October 12, 2023, 12:48:16 pm »
... but the case and bellhousing tags have expired. 

Hey Don...how long is the cert good for? 5 years?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2941 on: October 13, 2023, 02:38:05 am »
man you do a lotta heavy duty work Don!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2942 on: October 13, 2023, 05:25:42 pm »
Repaired a broken chain (on the New Holland) and brought in 32 acres of soy beans. Then put 50 miles on the K1! Perfect day!!

My wife took this photo late in the afternoon (the low sun really highlights the dust the old machine kicks up) and through the screens surrounding our back porch. Looks a bit like a watercolour painting…..
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 07:45:31 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2943 on: October 13, 2023, 10:39:01 pm »
Yeah, that's a lot of dust. Your soybeans get sold to grainery for animal feed?

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2944 on: October 14, 2023, 06:00:08 am »

The late afternoon sun, back behind that far tree line, really magnified the dust!
The beans get used in a lot of stuff! I do very little (+30 acres). My neighbour (his equipment) does +300 acres and he’s a part time farmer…..

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2945 on: October 14, 2023, 03:55:46 pm »
... but the case and bellhousing tags have expired. 

Hey Don...how long is the cert good for? 5 years?
Yes 5 years, I got it out today. I had to remember what a pain it is.
  A professional chassis shop back halfed it for me, he made the driveshaft and the 4 link short. After his poor work began to fail, my race car shop partner and I cut off the 2 year old back half, threw most of it away and re-did it right, except I re-used the $400 driveshaft and the suspension bars. That makes the rear axle closer to the engine than I would like. Now I have to tilt the trans to get it out of the frame. I don't even carry a spare trans anymore because there's no way I'm swapping it at the track.
  I'm going to buy one of those engine tilters and make up a pair of chains to hook the trans up for easier lifting. I'm always a one-man band when it needs work.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 03:57:22 pm by Don R »

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #2946 on: October 16, 2023, 05:05:46 am »

The late afternoon sun, back behind that far tree line, really magnified the dust!

The beans get used in a lot of stuff! I do very little (+30 acres). My neighbour (his equipment) does +300 acres and he’s a part time farmer…..

I spent a fall harvest season helping a friend clean grain with his portable grain cleaner.  A big tractor trailer unit with a generator mounted on the tractor to power multiple electric motors.  Doing beans was the worst, lots of dust.  Wasn't so bad when they were going into a wagon, but bagging wasn't fun.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 05:08:14 am by Tintop »
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #2947 on: October 16, 2023, 06:59:16 am »
That dust from beans etc. can actually be kind of flammable. Large processing areas have to be careful.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2948 on: October 16, 2023, 08:48:07 am »
Flour dust can be explosive

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2949 on: October 17, 2023, 01:48:29 am »
After doing such a good job replacing the wrong turbo on my Subaru a couple of weeks ago, last weekend, filled with undeserved bravado I decided to replace the correct turbo. I chose possibly the worst day to work on my car in my carport, as the rain was coming in sideways, wetting all my tools. By the time I removed the defective turbo, it was cold and miserable, and I was buggered.

Today was a much nicer day, so after work, the first thing I did was made this adapter that goes between the turbo and the air intake. The original rubber item was long gone, and parts for these cars are hard to find. This is the "Rough" test version, I had to bore it out smooth and trim it down some, but in the end, it was a nice tight fit at either end.

Turbo Tuesday 17 October 2023 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

One day I'll get rid of the twin turbo setup and just install one large turbo, and tune the ECU to remove any turbo lag. It's gonna be a beautiful day tomorrow, so I'm going to take the day off and get it finished. Hopefully........ ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)