Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 169333 times)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2950 on: October 17, 2023, 07:22:19 am »
That dust from beans etc. can actually be kind of flammable. Large processing areas have to be careful.

We move them in a neighbour’s dump truck. The unload is not far away at a massive facility, all outside. A underground conveyor moves them from the dump grating. Only takes a few minutes and huge fans keep the dust to a min. 

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2951 on: October 17, 2023, 07:10:52 pm »
 I donated a 9" ford 3:50 traction lock rear center section to my buddy's 41 Willys project. He protested that it was too valuable for me to just give away. I told him OK, I'll trade for you putting a used engine into my daughters olds cutlass. Oops, you already did that, guess we're even.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2952 on: October 17, 2023, 09:00:41 pm »
I donated a 9" ford 3:50 traction lock rear center section to my buddy's 41 Willys project. He protested that it was too valuable for me to just give away. I told him OK, I'll trade for you putting a used engine into my daughters olds cutlass. Oops, you already did that, guess we're even.

Yeah you just can't please some people. ;D
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2953 on: October 17, 2023, 09:21:54 pm »
I passed on buying a raffle ticket to win an Aussie built 1970 Ford XY GTHO replica, worth $200K. Beautiful car, I had virtually the same car in the 80’s (4V 351, C6 transmission with manual shift kit, 9” Detroit Locker diff, etc) and loved it, but sold it for $2200 in 1989 because I was getting posted to Queensland and I couldn’t afford a 1000 mile drive towing a trailer averaging around 10-12 MPG. I still kick myself when I think about it…. No matter, finally finished the turbo swap on my Subaru so gonna go for a drive, and maybe stop at my club for a celebratory drink. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #2954 on: October 18, 2023, 05:03:19 am »
I passed on buying a raffle ticket to win an Aussie built 1970 Ford XY GTHO replica, worth $200K. Beautiful car, I had virtually the same car in the 80’s (4V 351, C6 transmission with manual shift kit, 9” Detroit Locker diff, etc) and loved it, but sold it for $2200 in 1989 because I was getting posted to Queensland and I couldn’t afford a 1000 mile drive towing a trailer averaging around 10-12 MPG. I still kick myself when I think about it…. No matter, finally finished the turbo swap on my Subaru so gonna go for a drive, and maybe stop at my club for a celebratory drink. ;D

I had a 61 E Type coupe, bought at Earls Court.  Very likely the 1st in Canada. It had 11000 original miles.  Paid $700 & sold it for 2500, thought I was a genius.  Today it would be the same kind of value as the Ford, likely even more. 
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2955 on: October 18, 2023, 01:49:06 pm »
Yes mate, if only we knew then what we know now. Back then the cars I had were pretty common, but if I had 5 of the cars I sold/traded in for under $5K each, they’d be worth close to a million bucks now. Oh well, “wisdom in hindsight” and all that. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #2956 on: October 18, 2023, 07:40:21 pm »
Yes mate, if only we knew then what we know now. Back then the cars I had were pretty common, but if I had 5 of the cars I sold/traded in for under $5K each, they’d be worth close to a million bucks now. Oh well, “wisdom in hindsight” and all that. ;D

Terry I hate to think how much what I drove in high school is worth today.  I made my 'pocket money' buying / selling British sports cars (MGs, Lotus, Triumphs), but the last year of high school was all Jags.  They were cheap then!  My buddies & I sold the lot and bought a Rolls Silver Shadow as our transport for exams.  Sold it to a DJ in Toronto.;D
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2957 on: October 19, 2023, 12:11:19 am »
Yeah it’s funny, RR’s are one car here that are cheap once they get to the 20 year mark. My brother bought an ‘88 model Rolls with only 25000 miles for $26K in 2007, was a “Deceased Estate”, the family had sold the house and had nowhere to park the Rolls, so they put it on Ebay. My brother died in 2016, so the rolls is still rotting away in his carport. Last time I saw it, all the wood needed refurbishing and the leather was looking sad, he lived in Townsville (far Northern Oz) so the climate isn’t great for old British cars. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2958 on: October 19, 2023, 12:32:12 pm »
I bought a cheap turbo to install on my Triumph Rocket 3, but it’s way too big so I’ll use a spare Subaru turbo instead. I was trying to decide what to do with the big turbo, then realised that it would be pretty easy to install it on my little Mitsubishi truck.

The truck has the same engine as the Evo, so I’ll buy an Evo turbo exhaust manifold and mount the big turbo on it. I bought a ducting kit with various intake plumbing pipes and an intercooler, BOV etc, and I’ll buy some bigger injectors, and build a kit. The standard drive train will handle around 300 BHP, so I shouldn’t break anything with a bit of boost. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2959 on: October 19, 2023, 01:12:31 pm »
I bought a cheap turbo to install on my Triumph Rocket 3, but it’s way too big so I’ll use a spare Subaru turbo instead. I was trying to decide what to do with the big turbo, then realised that it would be pretty easy to install it on my little Mitsubishi truck.

The truck has the same engine as the Evo, so I’ll buy an Evo turbo exhaust manifold and mount the big turbo on it. I bought a ducting kit with various intake plumbing pipes and an intercooler, BOV etc, and I’ll buy some bigger injectors, and build a kit. The standard drive train will handle around 300 BHP, so I shouldn’t break anything with a bit of boost. ;D

A very worthy project Terry  ;)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2960 on: October 19, 2023, 03:50:39 pm »

A very worthy project Terry  ;)

Thanks Bill, it should be fun. I’m shocked at the price of turbo exhaust manifolds, but I remembered that I’d bought a set of headers for it awhile ago so I’ll chop them up and make my own custom manifold. I haven’t even switched on the AC/DC TIG welder I bought myself last Christmas, so I’ll fire it up and practice on some scrap tube before I make the manifold. Good thing is I can make it either a top or side mount, depending on how much space I have to play with. I only bought a small intercooler, so it should fit behind the grill. I’ll make a custom 3” exhaust with an electronic bypass as well, while I’m at it. ;D

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2961 on: October 19, 2023, 05:20:57 pm »
I grew up on sleepers. Junky looking car with a killer motor and running gear. I have fun every time I drive my faded, dirty 38yo 240hp GMC S-15 pickup.  8)

Your Subaru sounds like great fun and now you just have to turbo your little truck. ;D

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2962 on: October 19, 2023, 05:39:55 pm »
I grew up on sleepers. Junky looking car with a killer motor and running gear. I have fun every time I drive my faded, dirty 38yo 240hp GMC S-15 pickup.  8)

Your Subaru sounds like great fun and now you just have to turbo your little truck. ;D

Yeah mate, I had the opportunity to give the Subaru the berries this morning at 5am when accelerating from 0-60 on the freeway onramp, my little boost gauge was reading 15 pounds in 2nd gear as I hung on and passed the other cars like they were standing still. No idea how fast I was going but I had to slow right down as I shifted into 3rd. It’s not something that I’ll do regularly, but was scary fun, I just hope there weren’t any speed cameras on the on ramp, or I’ll be taking the train for the next few months…..

The little truck goes well and is geared high for better fuel economy (1600 RPM @ 60 MPH) but struggles up steep hills unless I press the “power” button that changes the shift points and lets it wind out in each gear. The turbo should improve the torque as well as BHP, so it should be a good improvement all round. ;D

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2963 on: October 19, 2023, 06:29:53 pm »
Putting speed cameras on the on ramps is just plain mean. 8)

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #2964 on: October 19, 2023, 06:32:49 pm »

Yeah mate, I had the opportunity to give the Subaru the berries this morning at 5am when accelerating from 0-60 on the freeway onramp, my little boost gauge was reading 15 pounds in 2nd gear as I hung on and passed the other cars like they were standing still. No idea how fast I was going but I had to slow right down as I shifted into 3rd. It’s not something that I’ll do regularly, but was scary fun, I just hope there weren’t any speed cameras on the on ramp, or I’ll be taking the train for the next few months…..

The little truck goes well and is geared high for better fuel economy (1600 RPM @ 60 MPH) but struggles up steep hills unless I press the “power” button that changes the shift points and lets it wind out in each gear. The turbo should improve the torque as well as BHP, so it should be a good improvement all round. ;D

ive hit well over 200 on that on-ramp, still got my licence
i blame Terry

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2965 on: October 19, 2023, 06:35:39 pm »
Are the cameras hidden?

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2966 on: October 19, 2023, 11:00:49 pm »

ive hit well over 200 on that on-ramp, still got my licence

That’s good to know, I wasn’t going that fast, but it was still in the “hand in your license” range…. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2967 on: October 19, 2023, 11:18:16 pm »
Are the cameras hidden?

Yep, speeding fines are a large part of our state government’s revenue so they’re everywhere, up on poles, under bridges, inside tunnels, you name it, they’ll find somewhere to hide one. No use fighting them in court either, I got hosed over when I tried once when I actually wasn’t speeding and it cost me two visits to court, a donation to a hospital, 1 demerit point and a 6 month “Good behaviour bond”. That really pissed me off. ;D

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #2968 on: October 20, 2023, 12:07:13 am »
Are the cameras hidden?

Some are easy to spot, they hide them on overhead gantries on the freeway but the have supplementary cameras in the corners of the gantry to catch people using the emergency stop lanes. Plus in the previous kilometre or so before the gantry there will be a feckin' huge sign warning you the ' safety ' cameras are operating in this area.
In tunnels they are hidden up in the roof among the lights and stuff so in tunnels you behave
Roadside ones are harder to spot but if you see a shiny new SUV parked completely off the road , especially out in the country, treat with caution. Slow down and rev the cr4p out of your bike as you go past at least 40kmh below the posted speed limit.
Also over here most people are really good at flashing their high beams at you as you approach the revenue raisers( assuming they've spotted them ) . This is illegal, of course, and can cop you as big a fine as actual speeding.
Most cop cars, especially highway patrol, ( who even other cops despise ) have mobile radars which can catch you either following or going the other way.
Radar detectors are way beyond illegal and they have detectors to detect your defector.......
i blame Terry

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #2969 on: October 20, 2023, 01:25:08 am »
Saw a guy going super fast heading into the Saguaro National Park which is a 40mph road that drops to 35 in the park due to wildlife and very curvy undulating road with lots of elevation changes. I was mean and flashed my lights at him and he immediately got on the brakes. I laughed, he probably cursed me when he made it through the next 3/4 mile with no police presence… he was easily doing 65mph.
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2970 on: October 20, 2023, 02:58:51 pm »
I took a peek under the hood of the truck yesterday to get an idea of how much room I have to install the turbo and was happy to see that on the exhaust side of the engine the airbox and ductwork take up a huge portion of the engine bay, so once I remove it all there will be plenty of room for the turbo and ductwork. I may have to remove the clutch fan with an electric thermatic fan to give me the room to run the pipes to and from the front mount intercooler, but the space above the exhaust manifold is large enough to mount the turbo and be able to close the hood without hitting anything. I might have to pony up the $400 for a turbo manifold rather than make one, but it’ll probably be worth it as the cast manifold’s are quite compact in comparison to a tube style manifold.

The manifold will be the most expensive part as I only bought a cheap knockoff turbo ($200) intercooler ($100) BOV ($50) generic ductwork with lots of silicone connectors and bends ($130) and I’ll buy the 3” exhaust tubing and a muffler to make my own exhaust, plus buy some bigger injectors and maybe an upgraded fuel pump. The whole conversion will cost around $1500 which is around half of what it would cost me for a “kit” designed for my engine but for a different car, which would no doubt take a lot of extra work to be made to fit my little truck.

I won’t start this project until I have the black Subaru’s engine back together and the car on the road as the DMV has suspended the registration until I provide them with a Roadworthy Certificate which I can’t do until the car is fixed, and pay the transfer fees. Once it’s finished I’ll need to get rid of the old green Subaru, which is a pity, as it’s a great little car. I don’t want to send it to the wrecking yard but it badly needs paint and because paint jobs are so expensive nowadays, it wouldn’t be of much interest to anyone to buy and keep driving. I’d probably have trouble just trying to give it away. Decisions, decisions….. ;D

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #2971 on: October 21, 2023, 11:31:49 am »
So far changed the oil in the '02 Tundra. I can't find a new washer for the drain plug, I could swear I had one more left...
But that's probably what I thought last time I changed the oil too, only then I was right. ::)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2972 on: October 21, 2023, 02:22:11 pm »
I took a peek under the hood of the truck yesterday to get an idea of how much room I have to install the turbo and was happy to see that on the exhaust side of the engine the airbox and ductwork take up a huge portion of the engine bay, so once I remove it all there will be plenty of room for the turbo and ductwork. I may have to remove the clutch fan with an electric thermatic fan to give me the room to run the pipes to and from the front mount intercooler, but the space above the exhaust manifold is large enough to mount the turbo and be able to close the hood without hitting anything. I might have to pony up the $400 for a turbo manifold rather than make one, but it’ll probably be worth it as the cast manifold’s are quite compact in comparison to a tube style manifold.

The manifold will be the most expensive part as I only bought a cheap knockoff turbo ($200) intercooler ($100) BOV ($50) generic ductwork with lots of silicone connectors and bends ($130) and I’ll buy the 3” exhaust tubing and a muffler to make my own exhaust, plus buy some bigger injectors and maybe an upgraded fuel pump. The whole conversion will cost around $1500 which is around half of what it would cost me for a “kit” designed for my engine but for a different car, which would no doubt take a lot of extra work to be made to fit my little truck.

I won’t start this project until I have the black Subaru’s engine back together and the car on the road as the DMV has suspended the registration until I provide them with a Roadworthy Certificate which I can’t do until the car is fixed, and pay the transfer fees. Once it’s finished I’ll need to get rid of the old green Subaru, which is a pity, as it’s a great little car. I don’t want to send it to the wrecking yard but it badly needs paint and because paint jobs are so expensive nowadays, it wouldn’t be of much interest to anyone to buy and keep driving. I’d probably have trouble just trying to give it away. Decisions, decisions….. ;D

I like that it's a cast iron turbo manifold.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2973 on: October 22, 2023, 02:10:38 pm »

I like that it's a cast iron turbo manifold.

I just bought a good used cast iron turbo manifold offa Ebay USA, the seller doesn’t ship to Oz so it’ll need to go to “MY US” in Florida who will then ship it on to me. That’ll take a few weeks but I have plenty of of projects to keep me busy, and the little truck is so reliable I really hate to mess with it, but having a heap more power and torque will always be welcome. ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2974 on: October 24, 2023, 01:53:18 am »
Meanwhile, my 28 year old green Subaru has been laid up while I waited for a new fuel pump. Thanks to the wonders of Youtube, I replaced it in around 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure the old one needed replacing. I'm happy to have my "daily commuter" back on the road again. ;D

Subaru fuel pump replacement 24 October 2023 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr