Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 169240 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #3000 on: November 12, 2023, 11:29:52 am »
I drove my little truck to the Bendigo Swap Meet (Australia’s biggest swap meet) on Saturday, following Spotty in his van. I was staying overnight to catch up with my cousin for dinner or I would have ridden with Spotty.

We left home at 4am so we could be there when the gates opened and by the time we got there just before 6am there was already a line of like minded souls waiting to be let in. The little truck went well but reinforced the need for a turbo (next car project) as it’s geared so high it struggled up a couple of the steeper hills.

We had a great day though and according to my fitbit we walked 11 km (6.5 miles) around the swap meet in 90 degree heat, so by 11am, we were both happy to leave. Spotty found some treasures including a Muzzy exhaust for my Kawasaki Z1-B for only $100 ($64 USD) that I’m cleaning up before I install it. Luckily it’s all stainless steel so no rust, and no crash damage either, just old grease and grime, and a bit tarnished. I stayed in a nice motel so as soon as I could check in I jumped in the shower and then had a snooze until dinner.

Got up just before 6am and drove home, and was home by 8.30 after stopping at a gas station for a pie and coffee for breakfast. All in all, a great weekend. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3001 on: November 12, 2023, 12:19:29 pm »
Terry….. you should leave that truck alone! It’s perfect! J.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3002 on: November 12, 2023, 12:24:30 pm »
Ha ha, you know me John, I can’t leave anything alone, and if I didn’t it would still have the rusty tray on the back with the horrible bars, no brakes, engine blowing smoke and entirely wrong wheels and tyres off a completely different vehicle that made it wobble at any speed over 20 MPH.

The turbo won’t change the current look, it’ll be a sleeper, with just enough poke to annoy the big boys. I would like to install an LSD differential though, one wheel drive isn’t much fun, I almost bogged it on my wet front lawn a few months ago. ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 01:25:18 pm by Terry in Australia »
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3003 on: November 12, 2023, 03:45:34 pm »
Ha ha, you know me John, I can’t leave anything alone, and if I didn’t it would still have the rusty tray on the back with the horrible bars, no brakes, engine blowing smoke and entirely wrong wheels and tyres off a completely different vehicle that made it wobble at any speed over 20 MPH.

The turbo won’t change the current look, it’ll be a sleeper, with just enough poke to annoy the big boys. I would like to install an LSD differential though, one wheel drive isn’t much fun, I almost bogged it on my wet front lawn a few months ago. ;D

I already have the horsepower issue settled in my little GMC S-15. But 240hp in a little truck really exaggerates the need for a limited slip differential. I'm looking at a Detroit True-Trac all gear limited slip differential. The rear gears are 3.73 so no need for a gear change.
Once you install the turbo your really going to need the limited slip differential when you hit boost, especially in the rain. ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 03:55:39 pm by Kelly E »
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #3004 on: November 12, 2023, 04:25:06 pm »
Bought it.

That is sweet! I need (want) a backhoe!

Getting old I will depend on hydraulics more and more.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3005 on: November 13, 2023, 12:49:39 am »

I already have the horsepower issue settled in my little GMC S-15. But 240hp in a little truck really exaggerates the need for a limited slip differential. I'm looking at a Detroit True-Trac all gear limited slip differential. The rear gears are 3.73 so no need for a gear change.
Once you install the turbo your really going to need the limited slip differential when you hit boost, especially in the rain. ;D

Ha ha, yeah mate, my twin turbo Subaru is AWD, so no issues there, the little truck would be a nightmare on a wet road under boost. I'm pretty sure there was a factory LSD diff centre available, but mine was the "Poverty Pack" option with no aircon, no electric windows, no nothing, so I'll find a factory LSD and install that. From everything I've read the standard engine and drive train can handle 300 BHP which is a bit more than mine will probably be making, so I'm hoping nothing breaks. I won't be becoming the burnout king of my suburb, it'll just be nice to have the grunt to disgrace an occasional poser in a V8. ;D 

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3006 on: November 13, 2023, 11:38:17 am »

Ha ha, yeah mate, my twin turbo Subaru is AWD, so no issues there, the little truck would be a nightmare on a wet road under boost. I'm pretty sure there was a factory LSD diff centre available, but mine was the "Poverty Pack" option with no aircon, no electric windows, no nothing, so I'll find a factory LSD and install that. From everything I've read the standard engine and drive train can handle 300 BHP which is a bit more than mine will probably be making, so I'm hoping nothing breaks. I won't be becoming the burnout king of my suburb, it'll just be nice to have the grunt to disgrace an occasional poser in a V8. ;D

Yeah buddy it's nice to have a little something to suprise them with. I've also done some suspension work so when someone is riding my ass I can lead them into a corner at speed and skip the brakes. It's fun to look in the mirror and see their eyes get big as they stomp on the brakes while I drive away. 8)

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3007 on: November 13, 2023, 12:14:29 pm »
Ha ha, yeah that’s what I love about the twin turbo Subaru, a previous owner spent a lot of money sorting the suspension, which was already very good, so now it has the STI stiffener bar between the suspension towers front and back, and another bolt on subframe stiffener underneath the front. The freeway onramp in the city is one big 180 degree loop and I see cars and trucks  wallowing mid corner when they go in too fast and the turn tightens, but the Subaru can go in at any speed and just goes around it like it’s on rails. If my little truck handled that well I’d be very happy. With 1 ton springs it doesn’t really wallow now, but I need to install something a little kinder to my back, but still be able to use it to haul bikes and parts. ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3008 on: November 13, 2023, 01:19:17 pm »
Terry, a better set of shocks to control dampening in compression and rebound will help your back and assist in traction too keeping tires planted on roadway...
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3009 on: November 13, 2023, 01:47:39 pm »
Thanks David, yes I’ll be looking to replace all of the shocks, and the front and rear springs to slightly lower it without losing the ability to haul a bike or two without the back bumper scraping the ground. Air shocks? I had Gabriel air shocks on a big Chrysler “VIP” (Aussie built luxury car circa 1971) which were good for towing and could raise or lower the back 2 or 3 inches. ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #3010 on: November 13, 2023, 03:30:13 pm »
 My buddy with the 41 Willys project put in the 9" ford traction lock third member that I donated. The 9" open differential rear end he had before worked OK but now it binds up every 3.5 turns of the pinion gear. (3.50 ratio). ??. He said he had to tighten the outer flange bolts to draw the axles in.
 I had to suggest he made the axles too long. Yup. He pulled one, when he loosened the bolts, the flange pushed back out and there is a witness mark on the end of the axle where it was touching the cross shaft. Fortunately, there's enough spline to cut a little off.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3011 on: November 13, 2023, 07:07:57 pm »
Terry, what about air bag suspension on your truck?
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3012 on: November 13, 2023, 09:37:34 pm »
Terry, what about air bag suspension on your truck?

I’ve definitely thought about it because it would make loading/unloading bikes much easier (especially big heavy bikes) but I wonder how good airbags are for cornering? I don’t want something that’s gonna flop around like a dead fish when I throw it through some twisties. I know they are popular on hotrods, but those cars aren’t regularly driven in anger, apart from occasionally on a drag strip. ;D

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3013 on: November 14, 2023, 12:30:36 pm »
On my S-15 the front suspension is GM G body so I can upgrade any of the parts. Like tubular front control arms, brakes and steering. I can also get a 4 link with coil overs, rear disc brakes and sway bar sets for the rear. There's even room for a Watts link back there. The best part is it will still look the same. 8)

I hope to start on more of the front end upgrades next summer. ;D

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3014 on: November 14, 2023, 12:48:42 pm »
Well I’ll be taking baby steps I think. My turbo manifold (off a US Mitsubishi 4G64 engine, can’t remember what car it came from) that I thought “My US” shipping company had lost or forgotten to send is going to be delivered tomorrow or Friday, woohoo! Then I’ll have to confirm that the manifold will fit my head (I have a new set of aftermarket headers that I can compare it to) then see if the turbo I bought will fit on the manifold or whether I’ll need to machine up an adapter, then I need to make sure the turbo won’t foul the (right hand drive) steering column, brake booster etc.

I bought the cast manifold because it is a lot more compact than a tubular manifold so I’m hoping it works, or I’ll probably have to make my own. I’ll worry about making it comfier once I’m confident that the turbo conversion is going to actually work. It should, Mitsubishi managed to stuff a NA V6 and a turbo diesel 4 (with intercooler) into the same engine bay, but until I can see it all fitted up in my little truck I’ll be chewing my fingernails. ;D

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3015 on: November 16, 2023, 11:30:31 pm »
I have mulled over the years about what I should do with my beautiful '65 F250 my dad bought used in 1966.  My dad has been gone for 15 years and I've had the pickup for over 20 years now.  He let me take it when he could no longer do anything with it.  It sat for 5 years without running and though it hurt him to give it up, he knew it would rot away in his yard in western Washington.  It is a tough old truck, with the New Process 4 speed, Dana 60 axle and heavy duty suspension.  I've trailered many cars with it from western Washington to here in Idaho, and a few back the other way.  The truck scoffs at mountain ranges.  It is on its fourth engine, a 390 FE.  It  came with the 352, when that wore out a rebuilt 390 went in.  Turns out that engine wasn't built well and dad only got about 50,000 miles out of it.  Then another 352 went in, then that one wore out, so there's a 390 back in it.  The odo has been around 4 times.  There is a lot of family history in that old truck and many stories.  It is mostly stock, except years ago I swapped in the I-beams and spindles from a '74 F250 to get the power disc brakes.  The original brakes were the un-boosted 2" drums and were truly scary, especially when hauling or towing.  I also #$%* canned the 16.5" split rims and put junkyard 16 inch wheels on it so I could run tubeless radials.  That made it drive like a new truck. 

It is pretty weathered.  So I have considered doing a refurb on it.  The photo below is taken on its good side.  The other side looks like the hood.  Of course I get the "it's only original once" line from people, and I get it.  But it is a little homely, and people make assumptions about it, figuring it is a beater.  But it will do about what a modern truck will do.  Except pass a gas station.  So I have left it as it is, which saves me time and money.  However one day I grabbed a mirror to close the door and I got a big chunk of chrome flake embedded in my hand.  That kind of hurt.  It didn't want to come out in one piece, either.

So I have been taking the mirrors apart, cleaning them up, wire-wheeling the flaking chrome, killing the rust, and putting in new glass.  I looked into getting new ones and found it wasn't that simple.  Back then, the dealers would install the mirrors, and if you look at the old trucks you will see a variety of mirrors and mounts out there.  These say SportsLiner on them.  I've found a few on feebay in worse shape than mine for ridiculous money.  So cleaning up mine it is.  Too bad if they are prettier than the rest of the truck.  The purists will have to accept it. ;)

Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #3016 on: November 16, 2023, 11:39:52 pm »
Looks like a really solid old rig.
I wish my 61 looked that good.
I'd personally throw a few newer accessories on it to make it comfortable to use and keep running it.

Unless you're planning to do a total resto on it.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3017 on: November 17, 2023, 01:41:24 am »
man what a story!,i love it,dont you ever ever paint that thing!youve done sensible upgrades re the brakes and axles,those 390s are pretty tough,is it 2 or 4 barrel?

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3018 on: November 17, 2023, 03:09:07 am »
I love the story and the truck! Thanks for sharing it.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3019 on: November 17, 2023, 06:39:23 am »
It is pretty weathered.  So I have considered doing a refurb on it. 

What a great old truck Greg, and the 390 is an excellent engine, except for fuel mileage which is prolly around 10mpg. 

What type of refurb are you considering?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3020 on: November 17, 2023, 08:09:43 am »
Looks like a really solid old rig.
I wish my 61 looked that good.
I'd personally throw a few newer accessories on it to make it comfortable to use and keep running it.
It actually is comfortable to travel in.  The ancient Twin I-Beam front suspension design (new in 1965) actually works well, so the truck rides decently on rough roads.  The bench seat is comfortable and not broken down, amazing considering its age.  I put a Honda Civic tape deck in the glove box when I first got it.  The factory AM radio still works, but it is hard to hear above the road and wind noise.  If I do anything to it, it will be to soundproof the cab.  It is noisy in there and I have been talking about doing it for years.  Just another thing on the list to do.  It also doesn't have A/C, so it is necessary to roll the windows down and think cool thoughts in the summer, just like the old days.
man what a story!,i love it,dont you ever ever paint that thing!youve done sensible upgrades re the brakes and axles,those 390s are pretty tough,is it 2 or 4 barrel?
Thanks Dave, at this point I probably won't paint it (maybe clear coat, unless I change my mind).  The 390 has the two barrel.  So it is pointless to wind the engine out much, but it has torque out the wazoo. 
I love the story and the truck! Thanks for sharing it.
Thanks!
What a great old truck Greg, and the 390 is an excellent engine, except for fuel mileage which is prolly around 10mpg. 
What type of refurb are you considering?
Thanks Stev-o, yes, right around 10 mpg, loaded or empty.  I actually averaged 12 mpg on a trip up to Washington to bring back a wrecked '84 Corvette.  It was one of those times when the stars aligned and I had a tailwind in both directions.  Murphy usually provides a headwind in both directions, so he must have taken that week off.

The truck is pretty straight so it needs only minor body work here and there.  Very little rust.  There is a small perforation on the front of the hood, common on the old Fords because it collects dirt in a cranny there that is easily overlooked.  The tailgate is dinged up on the top edge where a small tree fell on the truck during a nighttime wind storm probably over 40 years ago.  My dad went out in the morning and saw the pickup holding the tree up.  That was the only damage and even then it is only cosmetic.  It would require cutting the tailgate open then weld it back up to straighten it out.  So I have never bothered.  Just another piece of history associated with the truck.  There is also an egg shaped dent on the hood.  It was put there by my grandfather when he backed into it with his '67 F250.  It had a camper on the back and the dent was caused by one of the camper jacks.  The '65 was still like new then and my dad wasn't happy, (but not unhappy enough to go to the trouble to fix it).  They got into an argument about it, my grandfather denying it was him.  But the forensics were hard to ignore, what with the green paint on the jack. :)  And grandpa had a well-known tendency to back into things when he got older.  I remember when they finally took his car keys away from him when he got too dangerous.  That was not a good day.  It fell to me to have the same talk with my dad a couple of years before he died.  It is a hard thing to take away a man's independence.  I'll try to remember that when it is time for my kids to have the same talk with me and not make it too rough on them.  We will see.

Anyway, the dent is just more family history to be preserved, so I'd have a hard time fixing it now myself at this point.  Thanks to all who appreciate the old truck.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 08:14:11 am by ofreen »
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3021 on: November 17, 2023, 08:42:58 am »
“Old trucks” make me smile and ones with real history and original paint are even better!

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3022 on: November 17, 2023, 03:06:42 pm »
My father in law had me rebuild the motor in 06' on his 85' GMC S-15 that he bought new. He wanted more power, "I want headers, a 4 barrel and dual exhaust" he said. Where he lived I couldn't change the stock 2 barrel but I used the Edelbrock GM 2.8L two piece intake manifold. He said it would be mine when he couldn't drive anymore. His sons didn't want it and he loved it.

Now it's mine and I keep it the same way. It shows it's age a little bit but now it has a 4 barrel top on the manifold with a Holley 390cfm 4 barrel and makes about 240hp. 8)

1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #3023 on: November 18, 2023, 03:08:37 am »
there is nothing i would like more than an old american pickup  , they fetch big money here and the petrol would hurt but i realy need one !

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #3024 on: November 18, 2023, 04:25:40 am »
there is nothing i would like more than an old american pickup  , they fetch big money here and the petrol would hurt but i realy need one !
I'm not sure where you are but the fact you're calling it Petro tells me that fuel is much more expensive where you are. My old beater only gets about 10 miles per gallon. I drive it for the enjoyment it's impractical for everything else LOL

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior