Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 168960 times)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #3175 on: February 05, 2024, 10:20:25 pm »
Yeah stevo,id be using a small cap dissy though,that was a pain in the F truck!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3176 on: February 05, 2024, 10:51:08 pm »
Yeah stevo,id be using a small cap dissy though,that was a pain in the F truck!

Those large-cap GM distributors with the coil in the center..  ::) , there's other places to mount the ignition coil.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3177 on: February 06, 2024, 05:49:28 am »
Diclofenac orally is a pill

It is David, but what’s it got to do with non motorcycle vehicles? ;D

Don't know what I was posting that... Must have been conversation crosstalk posting a message to friend. I'm on a blood thinner for life, my doctor sent in a prescription for Diclofenac orally and it reacts with my blood thinner to cause bleeding to potentially start on its own, no cut required and then it exacerbates the bleeding which you can already bleed pretty good on a blood thinner (a lot of blood).
So my friend who uses the Diclofenac gel (Voltaren product marketing name) was confusing Diclofenac orally with the gel. I use the Diclofenac gel but taking it with my blood thinner is forbidden, so pharmacist called me and told me the potential side effect and I had to play telephone with my doctor... She wasn't aware of that, so instead of getting an enteric coated Diclofenac to get it past my stomach I wasn't able to take it. NSAIDs are off the table of drugs I'm not allowed because of a GI problem that could return. So, she was intending to give me an nsaids and trying to get it past the stomach before it dissolved and started working.
My friend has a low opinion of my doctor...

Sorry for the accidental post...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3178 on: February 06, 2024, 02:37:09 pm »
Diclofenac orally is a pill

It is David, but what’s it got to do with non motorcycle vehicles? ;D

Don't know what I was posting that... Must have been conversation crosstalk posting a message to friend. I'm on a blood thinner for life, my doctor sent in a prescription for Diclofenac orally and it reacts with my blood thinner to cause bleeding to potentially start on its own, no cut required and then it exacerbates the bleeding which you can already bleed pretty good on a blood thinner (a lot of blood).
So my friend who uses the Diclofenac gel (Voltaren product marketing name) was confusing Diclofenac orally with the gel. I use the Diclofenac gel but taking it with my blood thinner is forbidden, so pharmacist called me and told me the potential side effect and I had to play telephone with my doctor... She wasn't aware of that, so instead of getting an enteric coated Diclofenac to get it past my stomach I wasn't able to take it. NSAIDs are off the table of drugs I'm not allowed because of a GI problem that could return. So, she was intending to give me an nsaids and trying to get it past the stomach before it dissolved and started working.
My friend has a low opinion of my doctor...

Sorry for the accidental post...

That's important information David;glad you and your Dr. sorted the medicine properly.  ;)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3179 on: February 07, 2024, 07:01:56 am »
Pulled the starter out of the '69 Mustang.   Last time I drove it, out for a lunch run, car ran great but once the engine is at normal operating temp, the starter does not want to crank the motor over at full power, I hear the dreaded "er er er", heatsink issue [starter is close to the headers]  My buddy had same issue in hie '56 F-100 with a 351 V8 and installed one of the modern high torque starters. So I ordered one and am in process of replacing....

You guys run across this issue?

Update:   Was a gorgeous day yesterday and made time to drive the Mach 1.   Did one of my "test loop" drives and once back after an hour or so, starting the motor once hot was not an issue now that the modern high torque mini starter is installed.  Well worth the $150 cost of the starter.
Car show season is starting up in two weeks and I am ready...

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline jsmith800

« Reply #3180 on: February 07, 2024, 09:35:59 am »
Worked on the hotrod project with my dad.  Building the floor and cutting the hole for the steering column...best to start with cardboard and simulate sheet metal.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #3181 on: February 07, 2024, 09:41:03 am »
i like that!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3182 on: February 07, 2024, 11:13:05 am »
Pulled the starter out of the '69 Mustang.   Last time I drove it, out for a lunch run, car ran great but once the engine is at normal operating temp, the starter does not want to crank the motor over at full power, I hear the dreaded "er er er", heatsink issue [starter is close to the headers]  My buddy had same issue in hie '56 F-100 with a 351 V8 and installed one of the modern high torque starters. So I ordered one and am in process of replacing....

Update:   Was a gorgeous day yesterday and made time to drive the Mach 1.   Did one of my "test loop" drives and once back after an hour or so, starting the motor once hot was not an issue now that the modern high torque mini starter is installed.  Well worth the $150 cost of the starter.

Stev-o,does your Mach 1 have the 351 Windsor engine ?

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #3183 on: February 07, 2024, 02:15:26 pm »

That’s a good looking truck Kelly, and if you think they’re expensive in the US, they’re out of this world here in Oz. I saw a 3 year old Ford Ranger “Raptor” for sale on FB Marketplace for $98,000 AUD, or about $62K USD the other day, and wondered what a new one would cost? My little truck was cheap @ about $2K USD but of course it ended up costing me around $6K USD by the time I got it into its current state, but am happy with it now.

If it was a bit more comfortable (I’m tall, so not much legroom, and no aircon or cruise control) I’d keep it forever but if something better comes along I’ll buy it and move the little truck on. I don’t want anything too tall because I want to be able to load a bike in the back, but if I can find a Ford or GM “Ute” (that were common here in Oz before GM and Ford quit manufacturing in Oz) that hasn’t been flogged to death by a 20 year old, I’ll grab it. ;D

Terry, this is one of the motorcycle channels I follow on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@motorcyclerewind He is somewhere in our age range and his projects are mostly 60's - 80's Japanese bikes, including several Hondas. He has a good video on the rig he built for the back of his pickup to be able to load bikes into the bed by himself. It's pretty slick.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3184 on: February 07, 2024, 05:02:01 pm »

Those starters are amazing. Have fun!

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3185 on: February 07, 2024, 05:55:15 pm »

Those starters are amazing. Have fun!

Yes they are. I put one in my 7.3L turbo diesel and it cranks it over way faster than the stock starter.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3186 on: February 07, 2024, 07:13:55 pm »
Off to Montreal tomorrow. 10 hour road trip to pick up another “2JZ” 3 litre, straight 6 cylinder engine. Low mileage “donor” for this season!  We have 7 X 8 hour Enduros scheduled for 2024. That’s me in the Santa suit.

Spent Saturday swapping over competition parts to the “new” motor. It looks spotless inside, low mileage, from Japan. The timing belt tensioner broke in two on the original, so we ordered a billet unit from Real Street Performance. Our intake, allot flywheel and numerous other bits bolted up smoothly. Need to find a new water rad, the old one has been pushed around too many times! Good spare. Noticed the RR shock is completely dead and lost all its nitrogen. 4 X rebuilds need to be done.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 06:36:32 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3187 on: February 07, 2024, 07:37:02 pm »
Off to Montreal tomorrow. 10 hour road trip to pick up another “2JZ” 3 litre, straight 6 cylinder engine. Low mileage “donor” for this season!  We have 7 X 8 hour Enduros scheduled for 2024. That’s me in the Santa suit.

John,your team has manufacturers which help sponsor ?

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #3188 on: February 08, 2024, 12:26:59 am »
Another 2JZ?!? That's pure gold!

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3189 on: February 08, 2024, 01:25:59 am »

John,your team has manufacturers which help sponsor ?

Nope. The four idiots in the photo share the expense. Mosport, in early May, will be the start of my 55th season. Can’t wait!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3190 on: February 08, 2024, 08:05:03 am »

Yes, but bored and stroked to 401ci.  [was done prior to my brother buying the car, before me]

The Cleveland engine was not an option in '69, 1970 was the first year
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3191 on: February 08, 2024, 08:49:04 am »

Yes, but bored and stroked to 401ci.  [was done prior to my brother buying the car, before me]

I had a 1969 Mercury Cougar with that 351 Windsor engine and it likes High quality fuel because of the factory 10.7:1 CR.  I imagine yours has very high compression with that built engine Stev-o.
I needed to back-off my ignition timing a couple of degrees even with the stock engine because the quality of pump gasoline was so poor it caused pinging and the starting problem you mentioned.
The overall performance improved when I did.  ;)
Do you run race fuel in it? or known high quality pump gas ?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3192 on: February 08, 2024, 09:02:28 am »

I had a 1969 Mercury Cougar with that 351 Windsor engine and it likes High quality fuel because of the factory 10.7:1 CR.  I imagine yours has very high compression with that built engine Stev-o.
I needed to back-off my ignition timing a couple of degrees even with the stock engine because the quality of pump gasoline was so poor it caused pinging and the starting problem you mentioned.

I use 93 octane whenever possible.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3193 on: February 08, 2024, 09:09:58 am »

I use 93 octane whenever possible.

Ethanol-Free 93 octane ?
The ethanol in the fuel out here degrades a tank of gasoline after 2 weeks..

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3194 on: February 08, 2024, 12:14:35 pm »

Ethanol-Free 93 octane ?

There is no 93 non-eth here. It is 87, I use it in my bikes whenever possible.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3195 on: February 08, 2024, 12:16:38 pm »

Ethanol-Free 93 octane ?

No high octane ethanol-free gasoline ?  :'(  I can't find any out here in Ca. either..

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3196 on: February 08, 2024, 06:08:55 pm »
Another 2JZ?!? That's pure gold!

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

12 hour trip, got home late. Engine looks super clean inside, low mileage and the shop ran a compression test for us. Great numbers. Billet cam chain tensioner and upgraded timing belt ordered. Off to bed early!

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #3197 on: February 08, 2024, 06:40:09 pm »

Ethanol-Free 93 octane ?

No high octane ethanol-free gasoline ?  :'(  I can't find any out here in Ca. either..

exactly...no such thing anywhere around here....just 88 or 89 octane ethanol free at the farmers coop stations.  For my old bikes that I dont drive much I keep a couple gallons around.  Our Pontiac 400 we just try and keep stabalizer in it and run 93 whenever possible.

One of the reasons I like my daily driver '76 Cherokee Chief is its low compression 360V8 will run on cooking oil  ;D

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 06:42:01 pm by CBJoe »
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3198 on: February 08, 2024, 11:20:52 pm »
we get 302 clevelands here that usa didnt?we had the 351 in windsor and cleveland in our aussie falcons and fairlanes,390 FEs in galaxies.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3199 on: February 08, 2024, 11:36:43 pm »
we get 302 clevelands here that usa didnt?we had the 351 in windsor and cleveland in our aussie falcons and fairlanes,390 FEs in galaxies.

Dave,the '302 cleveland' engines;which model Fords did they come in?
The name reminds me a little of what Ford came out with in 1969/70'.. A BOSS 302 mustang  ;)