Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 168931 times)

dave500 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #3225 on: February 14, 2024, 02:28:39 pm »
Well I guess it depends on a few things mate. As previously stated, most of them ended up the hands of 18-25 year olds who flogged them mercilessly, spent thousands on fancy rims and never gave them an oil change or transmission service, so if you can find a good V6 or V8 one with good paint (rare, all the ones painted with “Clear over basecoat” have the clear peeling by now) no body damage, no drooping hood lining, blown transmissions or differentials, you’re looking at around $6500 USD and upwards, because a good one is getting collectible now.

A rough one, with any or all of the aforementioned issues could go as low as $500 USD. Tons of bad ones around but very few left in the condition of the ‘02 Ford I’m buying in the pics above, that has been well maintained for its life. The early’60’s and 70’s era utes go for more again if they’re in good condition, but like all cars of that era were very prone to rust, so there aren’t many around. ;D

Hello Terry, did you ever get the vintage Chevy/Holden-type El Camino or Ford Ranchero body style car/pick-up types over there in AUS?  What were the cars named over there ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #3226 on: February 14, 2024, 02:33:40 pm »
I’ve seen some here Bill but assume that most were personally imported, although some dealers may have brought a few in. We didn’t need them, we had our own since inventing the utility (car/truck combo) in the early 1930’s and we had both 6 and 8 cylinder models. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #3227 on: February 14, 2024, 02:48:30 pm »
Well I guess it depends on a few things mate. As previously stated, most of them ended up the hands of 18-25 year olds who flogged them mercilessly, spent thousands on fancy rims and never gave them an oil change or transmission service, so if you can find a good V6 or V8 one with good paint (rare, all the ones painted with “Clear over basecoat” have the clear peeling by now) no body damage, no drooping hood lining, blown transmissions or differentials, you’re looking at around $6500 USD and upwards, because a good one is getting collectible now.

A rough one, with any or all of the aforementioned issues could go as low as $500 USD. Tons of bad ones around but very few left in the condition of the ‘02 Ford I’m buying in the pics above, that has been well maintained for its life. The early’60’s and 70’s era utes go for more again if they’re in good condition, but like all cars of that era were very prone to rust, so there aren’t many around. ;D
I'm helping a older buddy look. He's wanting a 90s style. He's a el Camino lover and I explained to him that Holden was GMs aus subsidy and we could find him a late 90s ride in driveabke shape but look at it costing 7/10 after important fees and everything.

He was pretty ok with that for what he wants. He's helping my father a few things for my Amen savior CB750. He has no Honda stuff. Just shovel and panhead stuff in his shop.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3228 on: February 14, 2024, 03:29:23 pm »
There are plenty of cheap ones around mate, it just depends on how much work you want to put into it. V8 ones are more expensive than the 3.8 litre V6 models but the 1999 and later models had LS engines in the V8 models so you could buy a cheaper V6 one and retrofit an LS engine into one without any issues. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #3229 on: February 14, 2024, 03:58:04 pm »
We are currently limited to a 99 or older with the 25 year import rule. But it may be a year or so before he is ready to drop 10k on a extra ride.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3230 on: February 17, 2024, 02:22:45 pm »
I had a scary experience on Friday. Drove my little truck over to pick up my Yamaha DT250 wheels that I had new tyres and tubes etc installed, and got caught in some heavy traffic due to a crash up ahead. I was watching the temperature gauge slowly rising to “Hot” so pulled into the parking lot to investigate. Turns out a heater hose had a pinhole just above the clamp, that steam and water was spraying out of.

I released the radiator cap to release the pressure and was rewarded with a geyser of boiling water and steam 6 feet high! Luckily I didn’t scald myself. I got my tools out and cut an inch off the hose and refitted it, then walked to a nearby gas station and bought a gallon of coolant, that was just enough to fill the system as I ran the engine to “burp” it.

I drove over to collect my wheels and then drove home in heavy Friday afternoon traffic without further incident. The big test yesterday was the 25 minute crawl through the McDonalds drive through where I was getting breakfast for Spotty and I. I kept an eye on the temperature gauge and it didn’t move from the middle position, so I’m calling it good. I just bought another ute, so when it’s ready to go I’ll sell my little truck, it’s a great vehicle but has pretty harsh suspension, is a bit cramped for longer drives for someone my height, and has no aircon, so the new Ford will be a great replacement. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3231 on: February 17, 2024, 03:28:21 pm »
Good catch Terry! Phew.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3232 on: February 19, 2024, 07:45:11 pm »
Good catch Terry! Phew.

Thanks John, luckily it didn’t do any damage to my little truck and it’s still going like a new one. I’ll be selling it as soon as the new(to me) Ford is ready to go, and someone will love it. ;D

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3233 on: February 20, 2024, 07:40:56 am »
I released the radiator cap to release the pressure and was rewarded with a geyser of boiling water and steam 6 feet high!

Cant believe you thought it was ok to open the cap with a hot motor, Terry.  A lot of radiators have a warning label stating not to.  Glad you were not burned.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3234 on: February 20, 2024, 09:41:18 am »
I released the radiator cap to release the pressure and was rewarded with a geyser of boiling water and steam 6 feet high!

Cant believe you thought it was ok to open the cap with a hot motor, Terry.  A lot of radiators have a warning label stating not to.  Glad you were not burned.

“Do as I say, NOT as I do”.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3235 on: February 20, 2024, 09:48:23 am »

“Do as I say, NOT as I do”.

I heard that plenty as a kid from someone I was trying to trust who should have been setting a good example.  ::)  it never helped me.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #3236 on: February 20, 2024, 10:17:44 am »
I'm a fan of the lever style rad caps, which allow you to release pressure without risk of the geyser.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3237 on: February 20, 2024, 10:24:57 am »
I'm a fan of the lever style rad caps, which allow you to release pressure without risk of the geyser.

+1

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3238 on: February 20, 2024, 11:20:05 am »
Thanks guys, the radiator cap has two positions, one to relieve pressure and one to remove the cap. In this case the pressure was so high inside the cooling system that it blew the cap off in the first position. It’s only happened to me once before on an old Ford in the early 80’s, that time I did scald myself and had a blister the size of a tennis ball on the inside of my right forearm for a week. If I had time, and if there  was a pub nearby I would have gone and had a couple of drinks while it cooled down, but not living in a perfect world, I needed to get it fixed and back on the road before the tyre shop closed 15 minutes later. ;D

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3239 on: February 20, 2024, 11:48:02 am »
Back in the early '70s, a bunch of the guys used to camp out at the beach every spring. One time, we only made it 10 miles out of town before Ian's 1961 Plymouth Valiant over-heated. Ian cracked the radiator cap to release the pressure, then opened the cap and started to look down into the radiator when he heard a gurgling noise, followed a half second later by a geyser of boiling water spewing from the radiator. He threw himself backwards in the nick of time, but the geyser hit the underside of the hood and bounced off, showering him. He had some pretty bad first degree burns on his face and arms. :o 
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3240 on: February 20, 2024, 11:51:32 am »
Yep, you learn by your mistakes Scott. I had a pair of leather gloves so I put them on, and stood well back from the radiator cap as I released it. It was still pretty impressive to watch though. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3241 on: February 21, 2024, 05:02:11 am »
Here’s the part that snapped on the LEXUS 3 Litre 2JZ engine. This replacement cam belt tensioner bracket is machined by a tuning firm in Florida. Picked up a new radiator yesterday, so no more excuses. First race is the last weekend of April…..

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #3242 on: February 21, 2024, 07:49:32 am »
That looks well made

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #3243 on: February 21, 2024, 08:37:16 pm »
Washed the firebird for some early spring weather  and went for a drive to see some music.  Was a good day!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3244 on: February 21, 2024, 10:05:57 pm »
Beautiful car Joe! ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3245 on: February 21, 2024, 10:16:44 pm »
Washed the firebird for some early spring weather  and went for a drive to see some music.  Was a good day!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

How's that Firebird running Joe ?

Online dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3246 on: February 21, 2024, 11:48:45 pm »
man i wouldnt park that on any street!id be nervous if i couldnt see it.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3247 on: February 22, 2024, 06:41:25 am »

Looks fantastic!   I had a dream last night I was driving a Trans Am!!!

BTW - are those the 17" Rally II alum wheels? I want to buy a set for the GTO once painted.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/wheels/rtwsr1
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3248 on: February 22, 2024, 07:47:52 am »
Those wheels look Good  8)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #3249 on: February 22, 2024, 08:20:52 am »
Hey Stev-o...you are correct.  17 X 9 cast aluminum Rally II wheel with 5" Backspacing or +3mm Offset.  I did have to press in longer wheel studs from stock though for the front.

going back I would have ordered 17x8 for the front...but my original idea was to run the same sized tires all around.  Then I could easily rotate them if I wanted.  But the 255/50 17 tires just didn't clear the front fenders. we've got the hotchkiss springs in the front and it rides low compared to stock.  Tires would hit the fenders under compression and turning.  So we went to 245 /45 17 in the front.  Technically this is the wifes car, and she ended up really liking the look of the slightly smaller tires up front.

Running NITTO NT555 G2s...fantastic tire for this cars setup.

'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)