Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 168850 times)

Offline CBJoe

• Master
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #3250 on: February 22, 2024, 08:25:53 am »
How's that Firebird running Joe ?

Hey Bill....the firebird is running great.  I didn't post much here, but it had a full drivetrain rebuild by a local restoration shop which was a very expensive and interesting endeavor. Going back in time I would NOT have outsourced the work, because for the price I could have purchased a LOT of nice tools and just learned to do it myself. And now after 3000miles and a year, its got the classic pontiac rear main seal weep.  Which I'm going to 100% ignore....because Id rather clean up a couple drips of oil once a week than screw with fixing it just for it to happen again.

It was a stock rebuild with some kind of special and very PITA high dome pistons which resulted in one by one combustion chamber clearancing for fitment.  But I ended up with a 9.5:1 CR over the stock 8.2:1 (I think). 
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3251 on: February 22, 2024, 12:00:55 pm »
How's that Firebird running Joe ?

Hey Bill....the firebird is running great.  I didn't post much here, but it had a full drivetrain rebuild by a local restoration shop which was a very expensive and interesting endeavor. Going back in time I would NOT have outsourced the work, because for the price I could have purchased a LOT of nice tools and just learned to do it myself. And now after 3000miles and a year, its got the classic pontiac rear main seal weep.  Which I'm going to 100% ignore....because Id rather clean up a couple drips of oil once a week than screw with fixing it just for it to happen again.

It was a stock rebuild with some kind of special and very PITA high dome pistons which resulted in one by one combustion chamber clearancing for fitment.  But I ended up with a 9.5:1 CR over the stock 8.2:1 (I think).

Sounds great !  8)
Joe,I remember the posts you uploaded here and was following your build of the Trans-Am.
I was impressed with all the different procedures you did to the body and interior of the car;I didn't hear you mention about the engine/trans.(I must have not looked deep enough in your posts)but I think you did excellent work on that project Trans-Am build.  8)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3252 on: February 22, 2024, 12:39:03 pm »
Transferred the ownership over to my name and installed a new plate on my “new to me” aluminum trailer. It’s beautifully made. The securing bolts for the lic. plate are into deep rivnuts, well secured in the cross tube. Changed the bulb in the lic. plate light and even that is mounted in a sealed box, drilled and tapped properly for stainless screws. The lamp sits on a thick gasket. Really nice little details!

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #3253 on: February 22, 2024, 02:18:17 pm »
Sounds great !  8)
Joe,I remember the posts you uploaded here and was following your build of the Trans-Am.
I was impressed with all the different procedures you did to the body and interior of the car;I didn't hear you mention about the engine/trans.(I must have not looked deep enough in your posts)but I think you did excellent work on that project Trans-Am build.  8)

I dont think this was me  ;)  Wasnt this DonR?  I remember someone doing a frame up build on a Gen1 Bird
'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3254 on: February 22, 2024, 07:19:51 pm »
Sounds great !  8)

I dont think this was me  ;)  Wasnt this DonR?  I remember someone doing a frame up build on a Gen1 Bird

Yes,Don R has done an enormous amount of work on his early Firebird.  ;)

You posted a number of times about the exterior/paint?
 I also thought I remembered something in the interior you were doing..

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3255 on: February 23, 2024, 06:56:21 am »
Hey Stev-o...you are correct.  17 X 9 cast aluminum Rally II wheel with 5" Backspacing or +3mm Offset.  I did have to press in longer wheel studs from stock though for the front.

going back I would have ordered 17x8 for the front...but my original idea was to run the same sized tires all around.  Then I could easily rotate them if I wanted.  But the 255/50 17 tires just didn't clear the front fenders. we've got the hotchkiss springs in the front and it rides low compared to stock.  Tires would hit the fenders under compression and turning.  So we went to 245 /45 17 in the front.  Technically this is the wifes car, and she ended up really liking the look of the slightly smaller tires up front.

Running NITTO NT555 G2s...fantastic tire for this cars setup.

Hey Joe...I will go with staggered fitment, 8" wheels on the front, not concerned about rotating tires [isnt that a thing of the past?!]

Those are great vintage looking wheel with a modern twist, seems there is a better tire selection in 17" sizes.   Like those Nitto tires too!  Thx for the info
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3256 on: February 23, 2024, 07:00:36 am »
Transferred the ownership over to my name and installed a new plate on my “new to me” aluminum trailer.

Hey John... looks like a very nice trailer.  Appears to be a little narrower than ours, could you strap down two bikes in it if necessary?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3257 on: February 23, 2024, 07:08:37 am »
Transferred the ownership over to my name and installed a new plate on my “new to me” aluminum trailer.

Hey John... looks like a very nice trailer.  Appears to be a little narrower than ours, could you strap down two bikes in it if necessary?

It’s so low it looks narrow. It will take a full 4’ X 8’ sheet in the bed. Two trail bikes would fit, but a pair of cb750s might be too much. Not perfect but it will meet 99% of our needs. It weighs less than 400 lbs. empty, so easy to move and hook up. Pulling two pins makes the top portion of the ramp removable. It’s a really nice build.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3258 on: February 23, 2024, 11:03:07 am »

It’s so low it looks narrow. It will take a full 4’ X 8’ sheet in the bed. Two trail bikes would fit, but a pair of cb750s might be too much. Not perfect but it will meet 99% of our needs. It weighs less than 400 lbs. empty, so easy to move and hook up. Pulling two pins makes the top portion of the ramp removable. It’s a really nice build.

You may be able to fit two CB750's side by side if you stagger them front to back:pull one on headlight first,then back the other one on.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #3259 on: February 24, 2024, 03:56:16 am »

Well...maybe you're correct :)  I think I've just forgotten what I've posted  ;D  For sure have done a ton of work to it.   We're hoping that most of the big stuff is done for a bit.  unfortunately I've got some rust in the classic quarter panel areas that will need dealt with.  But not this year!
'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3260 on: February 24, 2024, 01:06:06 pm »

Well...maybe you're correct :)  I think I've just forgotten what I've posted  ;D  For sure have done a ton of work to it.   We're hoping that most of the big stuff is done for a bit.  unfortunately I've got some rust in the classic quarter panel areas that will need dealt with.  But not this year!

Joe,I remember you carefully sorting the car,etc.
Do you like the way it handles ?

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #3261 on: February 24, 2024, 01:45:46 pm »
Has very performance handling.....to the point of being a bit twitchy.  I think it's a combination of stiff lowered suspension, with the borgeson quick ratio steering box. It's a very rough ride with quick corning response in the Twisties.

Rose loves it...however we're going to raise the front end up about 1/2" to 3/4" with some spring spacers and I may put some offset A Arms for the upper control arms to better tune the alignment settings.  I remember having to use a lot of shims on the stock ones.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3262 on: February 24, 2024, 01:48:49 pm »
After driving my 2008 Crown Vic P71 since I got it at auction back in 2013, I finally have had to do a repair on it. I started getting a whiff of coolant, at first intermittently, then more often.  The  2-valve Ford 4.6 can be a 500K mile engine but it has its idiosyncrasies.  One is the plastic intake manifold can crack at the coolant passage in the front around the thermostat housing.  Sure enough, it was wet around there so I figured the infamous cracking had raised its ugly head.  Dorman makes an aftermarket intake that is reasonably priced, but the word on the street is it will cost you 15 horsepower as it is copied from the old pre-power improved design.  Plus they have a rep of not being very durable, putting you back to where you started.  So I ordered an OEM intake mainly because of the power loss with aftermarket.  It is not like the Crown Vic is a powerhouse already.  Based on the price, Ford is very proud of them, and there is a persistent rumor that Ford is going to discontinue making them.  When I ordered at the dealer, the guy told me there were only 192 in inventory nationwide, which doesn't seem like very many.

If you look closely, you may see an intake manifold in there -

The job requires a fair amount of disassembly, but it is all straightforward -

Sure enough, there was a puddle of coolant in the valley -

I have used Felpro gaskets for decades and have never had an issue.  Since the Felpro was just over half of what OEM cost and looked just as stout, that's what I ordered.  But check out the misalignment on the hole.  It is puzzling.  With all the jillions of Ford modular 4.6 engines out there, how could Felpro have got it wrong?  Maybe the wrong gaskets were in the box?  Who knows, but I wanted to get the car back on the road, so I took the Felpros back and got OEM, which fit perfectly, of course. 

Two peas in a pod -

After taking the old manifold off, I looked in vain for any cracking, even under magnification.  What I did find is what appears to be gasket failure.  I now think the manifold is intact, and the o-rings succumbed to 16 years of heat and age.  I put the new manifold on anyway since it is a fair amount of work and I had already bought it.  I'll keep the old one in reserve.

The 2V 4.6 was in Explorers, F150s,  Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Town Cars, T=Birds, and probably others I have forgotten, so the odds someone on here has one are pretty good.  So if you get a coolant leak, it may be just gasket failure.

While waiting for parts to come in, I picked the car up on the lift, changed gear oil in the axle and installed a heavy anti-sway bar from ADTR.   The lift made it a breeze.  Best thing I ever bought myself.  If you have a place for it and you find yourself crawling underneath cars all the time, what are you waiting for? :D

Since putting the new bar on, I have been playing around in roundabouts to see how it feels.  The police package Crown Vic already has heavier duty suspension than the standard cars, so body roll is reduced.  But the new bar definitely has made a difference.  The photos show the stock bar is a spindly thing.  The front bar is beefier, but the one ADTR sells is is stouter yet, That will be the next purchase for my 4200 lb sports car.

Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3263 on: February 24, 2024, 04:36:01 pm »
Nice work Greg. I bought one at a police auction in the early 80’s. Towed my MG race car and open trailer like it wasn’t there. Trunk held all my tools/ gear and a full set of mounted rain tires in the back seat!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3264 on: February 24, 2024, 04:50:34 pm »
Yup.  They are truly the pickup truck of sedans. I brought home four 8’ 2x4s in it yesterday by leaning the passenger seat back and running them diagonally into the back seat. Probably couldn’t do 10 footers unless I stuck them out the window. That probably would work OK, just try to avoid jousting bicyclists.  8)
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #3265 on: February 26, 2024, 03:11:13 pm »
After driving my 2008 Crown Vic P71 since I got it at auction back in 2013, I finally have had to do a repair on it. I started getting a whiff of coolant, at first intermittently, then more often.  The  2-valve Ford 4.6 can be a 500K mile engine but it has its idiosyncrasies.  One is the plastic intake manifold can crack at the coolant passage in the front around the thermostat housing.  Sure enough, it was wet around there so I figured the infamous cracking had raised its ugly head.  Dorman makes an aftermarket intake that is reasonably priced, but the word on the street is it will cost you 15 horsepower as it is copied from the old pre-power improved design.  Plus they have a rep of not being very durable, putting you back to where you started.  So I ordered an OEM intake mainly because of the power loss with aftermarket.  It is not like the Crown Vic is a powerhouse already.  Based on the price, Ford is very proud of them, and there is a persistent rumor that Ford is going to discontinue making them.  When I ordered at the dealer, the guy told me there were only 192 in inventory nationwide, which doesn't seem like very many.

I have used Felpro gaskets for decades and have never had an issue.  Since the Felpro was just over half of what OEM cost and looked just as stout, that's what I ordered.  But check out the misalignment on the hole.  It is puzzling.  With all the jillions of Ford modular 4.6 engines out there, how could Felpro have got it wrong?  Maybe the wrong gaskets were in the box?  Who knows, but I wanted to get the car back on the road, so I took the Felpros back and got OEM, which fit perfectly, of course. 

After taking the old manifold off, I looked in vain for any cracking, even under magnification.  What I did find is what appears to be gasket failure.  I now think the manifold is intact, and the o-rings succumbed to 16 years of heat and age.  I put the new manifold on anyway since it is a fair amount of work and I had already bought it.  I'll keep the old one in reserve.

The 2V 4.6 was in Explorers, F150s,  Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Town Cars, T=Birds, and probably others I have forgotten, so the odds someone on here has one are pretty good.  So if you get a coolant leak, it may be just gasket failure.

While waiting for parts to come in, I picked the car up on the lift, changed gear oil in the axle and installed a heavy anti-sway bar from ADTR.   The lift made it a breeze.  Best thing I ever bought myself.  If you have a place for it and you find yourself crawling underneath cars all the time, what are you waiting for? :D

Since putting the new bar on, I have been playing around in roundabouts to see how it feels.  The police package Crown Vic already has heavier duty suspension than the standard cars, so body roll is reduced.  But the new bar definitely has made a difference.  The photos show the stock bar is a spindly thing.  The front bar is beefier, but the one ADTR sells is is stouter yet, That will be the next purchase for my 4200 lb sports car.

You can always look for the DOHC version used in the 1st gen Aviator, that bumps the power up to 320hp. It should be a 'relatively easy' swap since the Marauder used that engine.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3266 on: February 26, 2024, 05:28:03 pm »
You can always look for the DOHC version used in the 1st gen Aviator, that bumps the power up to 320hp. It should be a 'relatively easy' swap since the Marauder used that engine.

If I ever wear one of the P71's out, and I have money to spare, I'll be tempted to do a Coyote/manual swap.  Oddly, there seems to be no shortage of wrecked donor Mustangs around. :D
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3267 on: February 26, 2024, 08:49:14 pm »
Retired police cars are a blast to drive. I've driven a few different models. My favorite one was a 78' Chevrolet Malibu with the pursuit package. It was a high speed brick.
It had a 400ci small block, turbo 400 transmission, dual exhaust, bigger sway bars, heavier springs, better steering box, big brake package, giant radiator, limited slip differential and Goodyear Eagle GT tires.

It was so much fun to drive and fast. It would do 115mph in second gear and would do at least 140mph. It was also a dayglow green taxi cab. It was really fun to embarrass checkbook hot rodders by beating them in straight line or curves.

Out behind the shop my buddy has an 80' El Camino with a 3sp on the floor stock. It's the same G body platform as the Malibu. The plan is to make it handle and fast just like the old pursuit car. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3268 on: February 27, 2024, 07:04:35 am »

If I ever wear one of the P71's out, and I have money to spare, I'll be tempted to do a Coyote/manual swap.  Oddly, there seems to be no shortage of wrecked donor Mustangs around. :D

Impressive Repair Greg...did not know those had a "plastic" intake,  but I have no experience with them.

The Coyote motor would be a great upgrade! 460hp....

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3269 on: February 27, 2024, 08:03:55 am »
Sold my rotten, +25 year old 4’ X 8’ utility trailer to a guy down the road. He’s only going to use it to haul firewood out of the bush. Glad it’s gone and I have a few extra bucks to spend on my bikes!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3270 on: February 27, 2024, 12:52:38 pm »
The Coyote motor would be a great upgrade! 460hp....

Yes, even if I cheaped out and used a pickup motor.
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3271 on: March 02, 2024, 02:42:07 pm »
VERY good morning on the LEXUS race car today. Put the front end all back together including a billet cam belt tensioner bracket and new timing belt on the 2JZ engine. Oil cooler, remote filter back in and new radiator as well. Fluids in and it fired up instantly. This is the engine we dragged home from Montreal a few weeks ago (low mileage Japan Import).Sounds healthy and excellent compression and leak down tests.

This Lexus was one of three Grand-Am racers built by the factory (USA) in 2001. Massive roll cage, built like a tank.  Six speed transmission, tied to an independent rear end that includes a LSDiff from a Tacoma! One of my team mates rearranged the front end on a guard rail and then blew up the engine at our last 2023 event. Getting it back together

Next time I will put it up on stands and pull all the shocks and remote reservoirs. They need a complete rebuild and recharge. Brakes, tires and more, but getting it done. Tim bought the old town Fire Hall (an ancient, ramshakle little barn structure) a few years ago. It’s across the street from his Garage business. We keep the race cars in there, along with tons of other stuff he buys/sells. Now we no longer have to push it back and forth.

First race weekend is in two months, at Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park). It will be season 55 for me and I can’t wait!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 06:06:02 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #3272 on: March 03, 2024, 09:15:43 pm »
Put a wheel stud in the ole lady's commander first thing this morning. Then she left for work and I bounced between the younger 2 littles and working on the dodge. I had to come up with a return line for the power steering and routing as mine is missing a part so i had to figure it out. Also put a water pump on it. Tomorrow is a fuel injector for the big girl.
Personally I've always liked driving a Dodge product and hated working on them.
Maybe when I Get another truck ( hopefully a long ways off) it will be a upgrade to a 6.0/8.1 LS motor or a duramax. For the money Powerstrokes go for though they can be quite the bang for the buck. just never liked the way a full size Ford drove.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3273 on: March 04, 2024, 07:04:10 am »
just never liked the way a full size Ford drove.

Well, then would bet you never drove a Raptor!  It is my buddies truck of choice, he has had two, drives great and has a twin-turbo, V6 with 450hp!

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #3274 on: March 04, 2024, 07:13:50 am »
just never liked the way a full size Ford drove.

Well, then would bet you never drove a Raptor!  It is my buddies truck of choice, he has had two, drives great and has a twin-turbo, V6 with 450hp!
No, that's far to rich for my blood.
I've always drove work trucks around.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior