Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 168790 times)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #3325 on: April 01, 2024, 05:44:31 am »
It leveled the driveway out nicely. The spikes do the work and the frame drags along excess crushed rock which drops into the low spots. Once everything was broken up I set it to skim and finished it out.

Kelly…… That looks great. My neighbour and I have the same frame we use to level, then we use a chain harrow (flipped upside down). Your set up must break everything up and then reset. May replicate!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 05:46:35 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3326 on: April 01, 2024, 10:00:57 am »
It leveled the driveway out nicely. The spikes do the work and the frame drags along excess crushed rock which drops into the low spots. Once everything was broken up I set it to skim and finished it out.

Kelly…… That looks great. My neighbour and I have the same frame we use to level, then we use a chain harrow (flipped upside down). Your set up must break everything up and then reset. May replicate!

Thanks buddy. I built it to pin to the bottom of the box scraper. The box scraper works great for leveling up big ruts but is overkill for when it is just hard packed. The weight of the box scraper helps the rake penetrate and do it's job. The rake breaks up the crushed rock and brings it to the surface. Once it rains and washes the rock it will look like new.

If you duplicate use 1/2" tap bolts for the spikes because the 3/8" bolts bent more than I thought they would. When the 3/8" bolts wear out I'll probably convert the rake to 1/2" spikes.
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #3327 on: April 01, 2024, 10:46:21 am »
Went to get in the 61 to work last night and had no lights. Tracked it down to a bad headlight switch. Mapped out the plug. Now to rig something to get me to work.

Where my and the lady just separated it's all I got while my Dodge is down. Definitely not a good time at my house ATM.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3328 on: April 03, 2024, 07:37:03 am »
Took the "Ol Chevy" for a drive.
Spring has sprung in Central Texas and the wildflowers are in full bloom.

Good thing about driving in a convertible is you dont have to stop to "smell the flowers"!!! [but I did anyway]
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3329 on: April 03, 2024, 11:58:22 am »
Great photo Steve! Perfect setting, looks very nice (it’s snowing here)…….

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3330 on: April 03, 2024, 02:05:57 pm »
The fuel cell in the race car was too low to the ground. Raised it 1” today. It was even scraping coming out of the trailer!

The front end is fresh from the body shop. Next is improving the front bumper skin  mounts, while still allowing for quick detachment. Plus a L. headlight that “disappeared” last race…… It also needs a really good cleaning after a month in the body shop.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:07:32 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3331 on: April 05, 2024, 07:53:46 pm »
Front bumper mounted and left side headlight back where it belongs.

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3332 on: April 05, 2024, 08:57:44 pm »
Went to get in the 61 to work last night and had no lights. Tracked it down to a bad headlight switch. Mapped out the plug. Now to rig something to get me to work.

Where my and the lady just separated it's all I got while my Dodge is down. Definitely not a good time at my house ATM.

I'm sorry that's going on, never easy to deal with.
How'd the headlight switch bypass turn out?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3333 on: April 06, 2024, 01:58:11 am »

Good thing about driving in a convertible is you dont have to stop to "smell the flowers"!!! [but I did anyway]

stop n smell the roses?

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3334 on: April 06, 2024, 02:35:10 am »

stop n smell the roses?

Nice to see the season in bloom  8) to help push-away some of those boring Winter blues.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #3335 on: April 06, 2024, 09:23:04 am »

I'm sorry that's going on, never easy to deal with.
How'd the headlight switch bypass turn out?
It turned out great. I have consistent dash lights now. Mounts the pull switch  in the factory location so I'm very happy with it for now.

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3336 on: April 10, 2024, 08:10:52 am »
Headed to Accelerated Technologies to pick up the rebuilt shocks for the back of the race car. Back on track!

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #3337 on: April 11, 2024, 05:19:44 am »
Headed to Accelerated Technologies to pick up the rebuilt shocks for the back of the race car. Back on track!
[/quote

They are one of the best.  Did the front forks for the 550.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3338 on: April 11, 2024, 05:24:49 am »
[/quote

They are one of the best.  Did the front forks for the 550.

I agree. Added them to Canadian Sources List. Prices are high, but the quality of work is superb.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3339 on: April 11, 2024, 04:01:45 pm »
Fresh shocks, springs and rear suspension back in the race car. Ride height, corner weights, caster, camber and alignment are next. We are off to Mosport for a full test day in two weeks and then two days of racing! Season 55 for me and I can’t wait. Yippee!

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3340 on: April 11, 2024, 05:26:50 pm »
Fresh shocks, springs and rear suspension back in the race car. Ride height, corner weights, caster, camber and alignment are next. We are off to Mosport for a full test day in two weeks and then two days of racing! Season 55 for me and I can’t wait. Yippee!

You have fun buddy, I'm jealous. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3341 on: April 11, 2024, 05:57:38 pm »

You have fun buddy, I'm jealous. 8)

Thanks Kelly….. I’ve been doing this every year since I turned 16. In those day we’d go to the track weekend after weekend and break what ever we built almost instantly! Things have improved a lot since then. I think I look forward to it more now than ever!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3342 on: April 12, 2024, 03:07:48 pm »
Spent more than a few hours really cleaning the inside of the race car….. It had a full season of dirt and rubber in it and then spent a month in a body shop! New batteries for the “count down” timer and full radio check next time.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #3343 on: April 12, 2024, 05:50:17 pm »
 I put front shocks on my lowered dually, I noticed a severe lack of travel so I jacked up the torsion bars to level the front fenders with the rear fenders. The old shocks were a bear to get off, I ended up cutting the top stems with a 2 1/2" cut of wheel on an air tool and heated the lower nuts after my old 1/2" air impact had no effect. Anyway, I got it re-shocked and leveled, repaired a broken grease zerk, greased the front end and changed the oil. It has almost full shock travel now.
  My insurance company is making noises about having me talk to an adjuster after finding out the snow damaged rear fender/bedside is not available except used for $3K making the repair $5K. I'm wondering if they want to total it which isn't happening.
 I got the driveshaft, engine limiters and connected the transmission linkage on the dragster, bought new slicks, put the pit bike and golf car back in the trailer. The tongue jack stuck, I got it working again,
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 05:53:47 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3344 on: April 12, 2024, 07:28:01 pm »
I put front shocks on my lowered dually, I noticed a severe lack of travel so I jacked up the torsion bars to level the front fenders with the rear fenders. The old shocks were a bear to get off, I ended up cutting the top stems with a 2 1/2" cut of wheel on an air tool and heated the lower nuts after my old 1/2" air impact had no effect. Anyway, I got it re-shocked and leveled, repaired a broken grease zerk, greased the front end and changed the oil. It has almost full shock travel now.
  My insurance company is making noises about having me talk to an adjuster after finding out the snow damaged rear fender/bedside is not available except used for $3K making the repair $5K. I'm wondering if they want to total it which isn't happening.
 I got the driveshaft, engine limiters and connected the transmission linkage on the dragster, bought new slicks, put the pit bike and golf car back in the trailer. The tongue jack stuck, I got it working again,

The dragster engine has a nice big carburetor !
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3345 on: April 14, 2024, 01:17:44 am »
Don, hope you don’t have to tell them to shove it if they want to total it, tell them you can price used trucks and used dialysis trucks and they are a fortune. Used vehicle prices are through the roof. Guy on Mini forum said dealer offered him more than his car sold for new and his car is very clean and well kept and is 2 years old! It has to be really profitable for them to do that…
Heard some used Minis were going for very high prices. In part because they are stopping making the gas cars and there is a huge following for them. Suburban sand squally trucks go for very good money in the SW as not every one is using their trucks as expensive daily drivers. Truck population density in Texas is huge! More SUVs and trucks here in southern AZ , especially outside the cities.
Don’t let them bully you and try to tell you the truck ain’t worth a lot, cause you go looking at prices on BAT abd EBay and the like and you get some pretty high priced examples…
So, you best start gathering data of similar trucks to yours having gone for good money, cause their software tool is gonna give you lowball examples I can guarantee you…
Stated value policies are sometimes a godsend… no quibbling…
Best going to bat on it…knock them out…
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3346 on: April 14, 2024, 05:23:40 pm »
Finished up the race car today. Over to Tim’s (local auto repair shop) for an alignment and fluid changes and we are ready for the first race weekend. Off to Mosport for a full day open testing and then two day weekend, eight hour enduro both days. Might even have time for the yearly coat of wax…..Hope the weather warms up a bit!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3347 on: April 15, 2024, 07:27:53 am »
Spent more than a few hours really cleaning the inside of the race car…..

"Spring cleaning" here too, but for me it was the boat.  Been several months since it's been in the water, I keep it covered and under cover of the dock but it still gets filthy and spider crap all over it. Simple Green works great and is biodegradable so  ok when it runs into the lake.
I charged up the spare battery at home, but didnt need it, it cranked right up [I always turn the battery switch off when not in use, all vehicles should have this].

It's ready for next weekend, there is a music festival we will be boating to. One of the guitarists went to school with my daughter and his band rocks!!

https://www.lagofest.com/2022lineup
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #3348 on: April 15, 2024, 09:38:13 am »
Worked on a couple non-MC vehicles this weekend. On Saturday I replaced the HID bulbs in my Lincoln and removed the horn for testing since it stopped working a few months ago. Changing the bulbs involves removing the entire bumper cover and the headlights themselves to get access to the bulbs. The horn tested good, so now I need to find where the wiring is damaged. I am confident it is wiring and not the switch in the steering wheel because it also doesn't honk if the emergency button is pressed.

Sunday I removed the plow, weights, and chains from the John Deere 445 and reinstalled the mower deck. Then the hydraulics that raise and lower the deck stopped working. I ran out of time to diagnose why. It worked when I was installing the deck, so it is odd. That is a project for next weekend when I am back in Michigan.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3349 on: April 17, 2024, 09:51:59 am »
Steve….. what do you clean the exterior of the hull with? Assume it’s ‘glass?