Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 168597 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #3625 on: July 29, 2024, 07:51:33 pm »
Well I finally got around to trying out my home made Harmonic Balancer holding tool today so that I could torque the bolt to 90 foot pounds. I'm happy to report that it worked perfectly, and it was a 5 minute job to torque the bolt. ;D

Terry’s big tool  30 July 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Terry’s big tool  30 July 2024 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Terry’s big tool  30 July 2024 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3626 on: July 29, 2024, 08:57:26 pm »
Good job Terry.
Those 6 allen heads fit into 6 holes ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3627 on: July 30, 2024, 03:37:42 am »
Good job Terry.
Those 6 allen heads fit into 6 holes ?

Thanks Bill, yes, 6 x 8mm stainless allen bolts threaded into the disc to grab the "spokes" of the Harmonic balancer. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #3628 on: July 31, 2024, 07:15:33 pm »
 After changing the fuel pump after a couple tries at fixing the old one, cleaning the junk out of the carb and then realizing the points were toast I finally gave up on the electronic ignition and put a new set of points in it. After pulling the distributor I wanted to return the #1 plug wire to the proper location on the cap. I used my primer tool to rotate the oil pimp, so it would index right, then I couldn't get the timing correct. Apparently, the balancer ring has turned on its hub because I can't see the timing marks with the engine running.
  Today I set the timing with a vacuum gauge and then turned it back a tad when it cranked hard. Finally, it is running right again. I think the 8" balancer is set up so it can't get off of the hub so I'm not in a panic over getting a new one. Too bad the SFI balancer on the dragster won't fit, I'd use it and get the drag car a new one.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3629 on: July 31, 2024, 09:15:38 pm »
After changing the fuel pump after a couple tries at fixing the old one, cleaning the junk out of the carb and then realizing the points were toast I finally gave up on the electronic ignition and put a new set of points in it. After pulling the distributor I wanted to return the #1 plug wire to the proper location on the cap. I used my primer tool to rotate the oil pimp, so it would index right, then I couldn't get the timing correct. Apparently, the balancer ring has turned on its hub because I can't see the timing marks with the engine running.
  Today I set the timing with a vacuum gauge and then turned it back a tad when it cranked hard. Finally, it is running right again. I think the 8" balancer is set up so it can't get off of the hub so I'm not in a panic over getting a new one. Too bad the SFI balancer on the dragster won't fit, I'd use it and get the drag car a new one.

I watched a youtube video of a guy who’s harmonic balancer fell apart (outside pulley came right off, throwing the drive belt off and damaging various parts under the hood) Don, so be careful! ;D

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3630 on: July 31, 2024, 10:34:36 pm »
Apparently, the balancer ring has turned on its hub because I can't see the timing marks with the engine running.
  Today I set the timing with a vacuum gauge and then turned it back a tad when it cranked hard.
Don, you're supposed to set the initial timing with the vacuum advance line disconnected. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3631 on: August 01, 2024, 12:20:31 am »
Apparently, the balancer ring has turned on its hub because I can't see the timing marks with the engine running.
  Today I set the timing with a vacuum gauge and then turned it back a tad when it cranked hard.
Don, you're supposed to set the initial timing with the vacuum advance line disconnected. ;)
As a matter of fact I put a golf tee in the ported vac line and it's still that way.

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3632 on: August 08, 2024, 07:57:07 am »
 I got the older laptop fired up and ran the last data that I got on my dragster's racepak data recorder. It's gaining rpm while on the throttle stop, we want it to remain constant. 
 The efi is set to open loop.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 06:42:05 am by Don R »

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3633 on: August 11, 2024, 03:21:01 pm »
 We went drag racing, my efi changes did not work and our new Hoosier DO7  tires got greasy in the heat like my old racing guru said they would.  We got behind the curve tuning and lost a squeaker Saturday on a double breakout / double red light run.  This morning we got one time run that was slow, we adjusted and won first round with an .009 reaction time and 8.93 on our class 8.90 index while standing on the brakes at the finish line.
  We lost second round in the heat when the traction went away. (my poor tire choice) We were nice to the poor sport winner and family. (I despise them)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 03:34:56 pm by Don R »

Online Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3634 on: August 11, 2024, 03:28:29 pm »
part 2
  The golf cart that we tow the dragster with has been getting slower and slower, I blamed it's age and the china made carb that's on it.
  Last night the throttle stuck, I was near my trailer and standing on the brake, I couldn't get it into neutral and realized the key switch only turns off the starter, not the ignition. The choke didn't help, and I finally slammed the gas pedal enough times to get the cable to release. This morning I tightened the return spring and realized that there is a spring on the throttle cable too. My return spring overpowered the cable spring.
 I lubed the cable and linkage and took some tension out of the return cable. Now it accelerated well but seemed more likely to hang open, so I tightened the return spring again and put a small cable tie through the throttle cable pull spring. The thing runs like it did new! Now I realize that the throttle sticking was the golf cart saying HELP ME
 Two springs working against each other. Good idea!
  A three cent cable tie saved me from buying a new $15,000 gold cart!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 03:33:03 pm by Don R »

Online Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3635 on: August 13, 2024, 06:57:48 am »
Got new tires on the Tacoma....

Then went out for "coffee and doughnuts!!"

*not really, even if the Tacoma could do that, I wouldnt abuse it like that 
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3636 on: August 13, 2024, 12:05:04 pm »
 ;D
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3637 on: August 13, 2024, 05:40:53 pm »
Totally fixed a fuel delivery problem and celebrated with a really good wash…..
« Last Edit: August 13, 2024, 05:42:37 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3638 on: August 13, 2024, 06:03:35 pm »
Totally fixed a fuel delivery problem and celebrated with a really good wash…..
That's a lot of elbow grease from when you brought it hime
David- back in the desert SW!

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3639 on: August 24, 2024, 11:53:45 am »
Cleaned up the last few items on the “new to me” LM650. Front diff oil is changed out so engine, transfer case and rear diff are all fresh. Pulled  in some fresh brake fluid and set alignment. Lubricated all the rod ends, brake pads are at +75%, rear shoes look new. Should be good for a while!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3640 on: August 25, 2024, 03:27:08 pm »
Drove my “New to me” 22 year old Ford “Ute” (pickup) 400 miles on the weekend to visit my Ma, who turned 96 last Wednesday. She’s tiny and frail, and deaf as a post, but still happy and still living in her own home. Was great to see her.

The Ford runs on “Dedicated gas” (a mixture of propane and butane) and is supposed to be 50% less fuel efficient than the standard gasoline version, so I was amazed that after 460 miles it only used 63 litres of gas. This worked out to 28 MPG (imperial gallons are 4.54 litres, as opposed to 3.7 litres for US gallons) which is amazing, with an engine almost twice the size of the Mitsubishi 4 banger. Total cost for the fuel was $60 AUD (around $40 US) which is about half what it would cost if it was running on gasoline.

I was so happy with it that I took it through a fancy car wash when I got back home. ;D

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3641 on: August 25, 2024, 05:15:10 pm »
Damn Terry…. That truck looks great! And useful too.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3642 on: August 25, 2024, 09:00:26 pm »
Damn Terry…. That truck looks great! And useful too.

Thanks John, it’s the “Poverty Pack” version so I’m going to buy all the OEM parts needed to add cruise control, that’s really my only gripe on a long drive, I actually got to use the aircon on the weekend and it was super comfy as opposed to my previous Mitsubishi with no aircon and a much tighter cab. ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3643 on: August 25, 2024, 09:15:49 pm »
Incredible fuel economy considering everything, glad you had a good visit with your Mom

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3644 on: August 25, 2024, 11:58:02 pm »
Drove my “New to me” 22 year old Ford “Ute” (pickup) 400 miles on the weekend to visit my Ma, who turned 96 last Wednesday. She’s tiny and frail, and deaf as a post, but still happy and still living in her own home. Was great to see her.

The Ford runs on “Dedicated gas” (a mixture of propane and butane) and is supposed to be 50% less fuel efficient than the standard gasoline version, so I was amazed that after 460 miles it only used 63 litres of gas. This worked out to 28 MPG (imperial gallons are 4.54 litres, as opposed to 3.7 litres for US gallons) which is amazing, with an engine almost twice the size of the Mitsubishi 4 banger. Total cost for the fuel was $60 AUD (around $40 US) which is about half what it would cost if it was running on gasoline.

I was so happy with it that I took it through a fancy car wash when I got back home. ;D

She's a good looking luxury pick-up truck Terry, stay safe on the roads with all the phone texting jerks.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #3645 on: September 01, 2024, 03:06:58 pm »
I put air in the tire and listened to it leak back out.

Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3646 on: September 01, 2024, 03:18:44 pm »
Father’s Day here in Oz yesterday so decided to do some work on the wife’s Hyundai. Fresh oil and filter, new OEM fuel filter (under the back seat, and a PITA to get to, being a tiny little coupe) new air filter and NGK spark plugs. None of these things have been replaced since the car was new (22 years old and 95,000 miles) and I laughed when I saw the plug gaps, the electrodes had basically worn down to the porcelain, so I suppose it was about time for some maintenance.

Still have to install the timing belt kit, water pump and ancillary belts, as they haven’t been changed from when the car was new either. Anyway it’s running like a new car now and as the fuel filter was partially blocked it’s now back to “full power” and good for another 22 years. ;D

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3647 on: September 01, 2024, 05:18:05 pm »
That a bit of erosion of the plug electrode, glad that took years to accomplish. Glad she's running well again!

Bud, that blows, hope the leak is repairable. Tires are a fortune these days!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3648 on: September 01, 2024, 11:55:34 pm »
Thanks David, the little Hyundai’s are fantastic cars, we have two, a ‘97 model and the 2002 “Accent” that I worked on yesterday. Despite my lack of maintenance they’ve been the most reliable cars I’ve owned, and put Ford and GM vehicles to shame. Despite the plugs in the pic being absolutely worn out it’s never missed a beat and always started immediately.

The only reason I changed the fuel filter was that it was partially blocked, so when I’d put the foot down on the freeway it would miss and fart a bit. I took it for a drive after doing the work and it drove like a new car. I need to do the timing belt, water pump and accessory belts next, just waiting for a nice warm day to spend on it.

The Vevor air jack is a fantastic tool, and made it super easy to get underneath it to drain the oil and replace the filter. Money well spent. ;D

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3649 on: September 02, 2024, 06:39:35 am »
Father’s Day here in Oz yesterday so decided to do some work on the wife’s Hyundai. Fresh oil and filter, new OEM fuel filter (under the back seat, and a PITA to get to, being a tiny little coupe) new air filter and NGK spark plugs. None of these things have been replaced since the car was new (22 years old and 95,000 miles) and I laughed when I saw the plug gaps, the electrodes had basically worn down to the porcelain, so I suppose it was about time for some maintenance.

Still have to install the timing belt kit, water pump and ancillary belts, as they haven’t been changed from when the car was new either. Anyway it’s running like a new car now and as the fuel filter was partially blocked it’s now back to “full power” and good for another 22 years. ;D

When I see a worn plug (like Terry’s) I often wonder why plug gap is important!