Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 168596 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #3650 on: September 02, 2024, 02:54:46 pm »
Father’s Day here in Oz yesterday so decided to do some work on the wife’s Hyundai. Fresh oil and filter, new OEM fuel filter (under the back seat, and a PITA to get to, being a tiny little coupe) new air filter and NGK spark plugs. None of these things have been replaced since the car was new (22 years old and 95,000 miles) and I laughed when I saw the plug gaps, the electrodes had basically worn down to the porcelain, so I suppose it was about time for some maintenance.

Still have to install the timing belt kit, water pump and ancillary belts, as they haven’t been changed from when the car was new either. Anyway it’s running like a new car now and as the fuel filter was partially blocked it’s now back to “full power” and good for another 22 years. ;D

When I see a worn plug (like Terry’s) I often wonder why plug gap is important!

I had similar thoughts John, but I think that modern ignition systems are the main reason why a spark can jump a 3(+) mm gap with no issues, our old bikes had pretty weak ignition systems from the factory. Another reason why I like electronic ignitions, they throw a much fatter spark than points. Of course alternator output is better now, along with EFI sending just the right amount of fuel helps considerably. Just evolution, I suppose? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3651 on: September 02, 2024, 08:11:30 pm »
About a year or so back, I replaced the plugs in three Ford 2 valve 4.6 V8s in a couple of Crown Vics and a MGM that had the original plugs with over 100,000 miles on them. The largest miles were at 136,000 miles.  The factory says the plug gaps should be .054.  With all the miles, the gaps were at .080+.  All three cars were running well before, but they really woke up after the plug change.  It was noticeable.  Motorcraft plugs, both original and replacement.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3652 on: September 03, 2024, 12:07:00 am »
Yeah Greg, the little Hyundai has 151,000 Km’s (around 95000 miles) on the odo, the original plugs were NGK, and I replaced them with NGK’s. I think the fuel filter was the biggest issue, but I’m sure the plugs helped. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3653 on: September 06, 2024, 12:05:06 pm »
Replaced the LF upright, stub axle and wheel bearings on the LF. Two hours of “open practice” at Shannonville Raceway, Monday night. We have three races there (4 hour and 2 X 8 hours) in two weeks, so a good chance to make sure everything is “good to go” for the last weekend of the season!

Full alignment, corner weights and fresh brakes planned for Sunday in Tim’s dealership
« Last Edit: September 07, 2024, 05:18:00 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3654 on: September 07, 2024, 03:22:03 pm »
I succumbed in a weak moment.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3655 on: September 07, 2024, 10:48:37 pm »
you are forgiven!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3656 on: September 08, 2024, 08:58:56 am »
Thanks Dave, that makes me feel better.
Greg
'75 CB750F

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3657 on: September 08, 2024, 12:22:00 pm »
Finished race car prep. Two hours of test time booked at Shannonville Motorsports Park for tomorrow, 5:00pm to 7:00pm.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3658 on: September 08, 2024, 12:34:44 pm »
Thanks Dave, that makes me feel better.

Hemi powered ??  :)
The truck will be jealous  :D
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3659 on: September 08, 2024, 03:42:27 pm »

Yes, the 5.7.  It will be used mainly as a road trip car.  Fun car, and comfortable.
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3660 on: September 08, 2024, 06:26:42 pm »

Yes, the 5.7.  It will be used mainly as a road trip car.  Fun car, and comfortable.

Does your suspension have different settings: Touring or Sport ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3661 on: September 08, 2024, 07:56:05 pm »
Nothing that fancy I think.  It has the "super track pack", so the suspension is on the firm side.  It reminds me of the suspension on my police package Crown Vics.  You can feel the road, so the ride is a little rougher, but I like it that way.
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3662 on: September 08, 2024, 08:58:35 pm »
I succumbed in a weak moment.
70th birthday present to yourself? ;D My older brother told me I now qualify for the tee-shirt that reads "I survived the 60's. Twice." ;D ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3663 on: September 08, 2024, 10:02:22 pm »
I never thought of it that way, but maybe so.  I have always thought the Challenger was the best rendition of the retro cars.  The R/T is no scat pack or hellcat, but it moves along pretty well, and doesn't handle like it weighs 4000 pounds.  The stick shift car has always interested me more and aren't that common, so when this one came along I figured ultimately what the hell.  It took me 3 weeks to make up my mind because I don't need another car, but still no buyers remorse.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2024, 10:04:29 pm by ofreen »
Greg
'75 CB750F

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3664 on: September 08, 2024, 10:14:19 pm »
What's the HP?
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3665 on: September 08, 2024, 10:34:42 pm »
The factory said 376 HP/410 lb-ft torque for the 6 speed manual.
Greg
'75 CB750F

Online Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3666 on: September 09, 2024, 08:39:46 am »
The factory said 376 HP/410 lb-ft torque for the 6 speed manual.

Congrats Greg...that will be fun!  And agreed, always thought the Challenger was the best retro car. 

However, I love driving my buddy's '73...

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3667 on: September 09, 2024, 10:53:39 am »
That is a beautiful car.  My sister had a '73.  In 1977 we drove it from Salt Lake to south of Seattle in under 12 hours.  That was in the days of the national speed limit set at 55 mph.  We spent a lot of time at 30-40 mph above that, especially when my sister was driving, because she was a little crazy in those days.  (She wrecked a couple of Camaros in her career :D) We were lucky we didn't get caught, but we didn't see many cops either.  The road was a lot different in those days.  It had a 318, but it moved along pretty well.  I'll take the new Challenger on a trip down to San Diego in three weeks and we will see how it does.
Greg
'75 CB750F

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3668 on: September 09, 2024, 06:56:44 pm »
That’s a magnificent car Greg, I’ve been watching Youtube videos of cops chasing them at 150+ MPH, I can still remember when “The Ton” was scary. Enjoy! ;D

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3669 on: September 09, 2024, 09:00:28 pm »
The big change in smog laws started in 1972, and also the change from gross HP ratings to net HP flywheel ratings. The "hottest" 440 for '73 had 280 HP @ 4800 RPM, with 380 ft/lbs @ 3200, with 8.2:1 compression. The "hottest" 318 (the 318 was never a performance engine) had 170 HP @ 4000, with 270 ft/lbs @ 2000, and 8.6:1 compression. The new stuff is so much better in every way: more power, better MPG, and cleaner to boot!

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #3670 on: September 09, 2024, 10:08:53 pm »
That’s a magnificent car Greg, I’ve been watching Youtube videos of cops chasing them at 150+ MPH, I can still remember when “The Ton” was scary. Enjoy! ;D

Thanks Terry. 100 mph in it feels like nothing.  Or at least I imagine it does. ;)

The new stuff is so much better in every way: more power, better MPG, and cleaner to boot!

Computer control made it possible for sure.  22 highway mpg in a Hellcat with over 700 horsies.  Amazing.

Greg
'75 CB750F

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3671 on: September 10, 2024, 06:37:53 am »
Had a great evening of testing at Shannonville, last night. Rained all day but cleared for the two hours we were on track. Did several runs and used the tire pyrometer to check temps across the tread. Ideal tire pressures are 31 psi cold (36 hot) and we need to dial 1/2 a degree of extra negative camber in both front wheels……

Car ran strong with no issues, other than a relay for the cooling fans that was “cycling” and needs to be replaced. Fresh set of tires and brake pads, oil and filter,  and a really good cleaning are on the list. Great to be at the track on a weekday!

The next race is a monster weekend. Open practice on Friday morning, four hour race that afternoon. Eight hour race on Saturday and same again on Sunday! Can’t wait.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 06:46:56 am by BenelliSEI »

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3672 on: September 10, 2024, 06:44:17 am »
Met an old acquaintance at the track last night. He sent me this photo he stumbled on a few days ago. He’s in the Lotus Seven, behind me in my MG Midget. The Ginetta G4 in the lead is another good friend. Both of them were running 1600cc FORD Kent engines. I built that Midget from a bare shell in 2001, powered by a 1293cc BMC “A Series” motor. It was a real “giant killer”. Picture is corner 1, Mosport. Good Times!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 07:56:36 am by BenelliSEI »

Online Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3673 on: September 10, 2024, 07:21:31 am »
Met an old acquaintance at the track last night. He sent me this photo...

Great pic, John!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3674 on: September 14, 2024, 11:51:31 pm »
Ahh wow thats a great photo.